accutane pregnancy cortisone

5 replies to this topic

#1 yatie84

yatie84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

I have a question for other women out there... I'm in my late 20's and married, and we plan to start a family in the next couple of years. After finally getting over the fears of potential long-term side effects, I've finally started an accutane treatment for somewhat "mild" acne but painful cysts (I've had to get cortisone shots in my face pretty much monthly for the past 1-2 years and it's painful, expensive and scarring my skin). I'm only on 40mg/day now, and then will do 3-4 months of 60mg/day. So a max of 5 months in treatment.

Have others had healthy children safely after being off accutane? If so, how long did you wait to start "trying"? I know they say it's technically out of your system in 1-3 months, but I still find that hard to believe. My plan is to allow at least one year between finishing accutane and trying to get pregant, just to be safe... I'd never forgive myself if my child has birth defects because of something I did for acne or because I didn't wait long enough for it to get out of my system.

Any advice/experiences/studies appreciated!

#2 SavedByGrace1

SavedByGrace1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

I have a question for other women out there... I'm in my late 20's and married, and we plan to start a family in the next couple of years. After finally getting over the fears of potential long-term side effects, I've finally started an accutane treatment for somewhat "mild" acne but painful cysts (I've had to get cortisone shots in my face pretty much monthly for the past 1-2 years and it's painful, expensive and scarring my skin). I'm only on 40mg/day now, and then will do 3-4 months of 60mg/day. So a max of 5 months in treatment.

Have others had healthy children safely after being off accutane? If so, how long did you wait to start "trying"? I know they say it's technically out of your system in 1-3 months, but I still find that hard to believe. My plan is to allow at least one year between finishing accutane and trying to get pregant, just to be safe... I'd never forgive myself if my child has birth defects because of something I did for acne or because I didn't wait long enough for it to get out of my system.

Any advice/experiences/studies appreciated!

Hello, I am kinda in the same boat as you.
However, I find comfort in personally knowing 2 friends that have been on Tane and they both have 2 beautiful babies now.

AM: Wash with CeraVe Claenser

Apply CeraVe Moisturizer

Take Hair, Skin and Nail Vitamins

Use: Klaron Lotion

PM: Wash with CeraVe Cleanser

Apply CeraVe Moisturizer

Take BCP

Use: Tazorac Cream

January-- 80mg Accutane

February- 80mg Accutane

March 80mg Accutane

April 80mg Accutane

May 60mg Accutane

Maintaining

#3 yatie84

yatie84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Do you know how long they were off accutane before having children? I have a friend with a healthy daughter too, but there was almost 9 years in between her treatment and pregnancy.

#4 Alexis Little

Alexis Little

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing

Achievements

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

I don't play the "safe or sorry" game. As much as I'd love to have a baby, I wouldn't want one until I've been finished with Accutane for at least one year. I really don't care what my Dermatologist or anyone else says. They are recalling and finding out new things on drugs ALL the time.

23 year old

110 lb; 4'11"

Accutane Adventure

Month 1: 40 mg/day
Month 2: 40 mg/day

Month 3: 60 mg/day

Month 4: 80 mg/day

Month 5: 80 mg/day

Mother 6: N/A

#5 suzy27

suzy27

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

I was on Accutane twice (in my teens) and got pregnant naturally (in my late 20s) and had a healthy baby. Good luck :)

#6 candycouture

candycouture

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

Hi yatie84,

Not sure if you are still interested in this tread, but I am seriously wondering about the same thing. I am on my second day of Isotretinoin (Accutane), I am currently on 30mg/day. But am currently having second thoughts. I am planning to get married and start a family in the next 2-3 years. However, have seen a few posts online about women having babies with typical Accutane birth defects 10-15 years after their treatment. (e.g. posts on http://www.topix.com...C7BMNILDDUQIKC8)

So that REALLY scares me. I do not want to risk the health of my future-children for better skin. I was told by my doctor that pregnancy 1 month after treatment was safe. However, I have some friends who were told 6 months. I have read at other places, like this fact sheet from birthdefects.org (available: http://www.birthdefe... Fact Sheet.pdf ) that

"Accutane is stored in the body's fatty tissues, which may be a factor in the
drug remaining efficacious in-patients up to two years after treatment has
stopped. For this reason, the 30-day recommended interval between
treatment and being able to initiate a safe pregnancy should be considered
the absolute minimum allowable time, and not the ideal."

So, I think waiting a year is defiantly the way to go. The longer the better it seems. However I don't know if 2 years will guarantee that the drug will be out of your system. It's kind of a scary thought to be honest.

What do you think?

- Janelle <3

Edited by ladyjaja, 04 August 2012 - 04:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users