Photo

Eating More And Working Out = Less Acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 daveoh

daveoh

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

I'm scratching my head (figuratively, not literally) on this one. I started on a goal of trying to gain some healthy weight this year, since I'm 6' tall and only weigh 115 pounds, which has been pretty steady for the last 15 years. My doctor says I'm perfectly healthy even after blood work and a physical, but adds that I could stand to gain some weight. I'll have to admit it would be nice to have an easier time finding pants that fit, and not have the folks at the license bureau give me the eyeball like "Do you seriously weigh 115?" when I'm renewing my license.

At the beginning of February, I figured out what I was going to do, so I've been eating more and lifting weights. Been eating lots of fruits, vegetables, chicken breasts, rice, beans, nuts, and drinking lots of whole milk. Even indulged a little and I have some ice cream more often. It must be having an effect, the weight lifting is getting easier, I started increasing the weight I'm lifiting, and I've gained 6 pounds since February. I figured the milk and ice cream would be leading to major breakouts, but strangely, I seem to be having less acne if anything. I used to get nasty ones that would start down deep, but if I get them now they seem to be small ones at the surface that heal quickly.

Could it be I was malnourished to begin with, and that was making acne worse? I haven't really changed what I'm eating, just eating more of it. The nuts were about the only thing I added.

#2 aWorldWithoutAcne

aWorldWithoutAcne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

I think my diet is not a big factor when it comes to the acne I have. If I were eating take-away, oily or fatty food 7 days a week then maybe it would be a big factor. That's why I don't understand all the crazy diets I see on here. I still eat chocolate on most days, just a small bit, I also drink milk, I also eat pizza, I also eat take-away. But I also balance my diet with healthy home cooking, fruit, vegetables, lots of water, green tea ... and excersize.

And my acne never changed even when I went on a strict diet, likewise, it doesn't change now even eating the stuff I just mentioned.

So ... draw your own conclusion ... ?

#3 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

Omg same! I am also 6ft tall lol and I used to weigh 123. I was lifting weights and overall just eating little bit more. In few weeks I gained like 15 pounds. Now I am 135, my goal is to be around 145 ish. My acne was getting better actually and at that time I used to drink 4 cups of milk a day, and it did not have any affect on my skin for some reason.

Edited by DaftFrost, 19 March 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#4 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

Some foods definitly break me out. If I eat a lot of rice or pasta, my skin gets very oily soon after and I breakout. Sugar, beer, wine, and coffee make my face feel the same way than if I hadn't slept all night, and makes it oily and breakout.

In my case, the best remedy against acne has always been good nights of sleep.

#5 HapaMommy

HapaMommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

My diet has little affect on my acne or folliculitis for that matter. It's just that peanuts give me a couple zits bigger than usual but not a hugh outbreak. I heard that being underweight is just as unhealthy as being overweight. I forgot where but I read acne is a symptom of some people who are underweight (something about your system not cleansing itself well or something). I bet when you're at a better weight for your frame things will really clear up. Good luck!
My Regimen

AM
Cetaphil Daily Cleanser or M2 Exfoliating Cleanser with Clarisonic brush
Elta MD UV Facial moisiturizer

PM
Cetaphil Daily Cleanser or M2 Exfoliating Cleanser w/o Clarisonic brush
Elta MD UV Facial moisturizer w/ Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

FOR FOLLICULITIS & ECZEMA
Triamcimolone as needed
Ketoconazole 2% Cream (spot treatment only) twice daily
Clarifoam once daily
Noble Soap everytime I shower

PHASING OUT
Differin 0.3% (spot treatment only)

#6 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

My diet has little affect on my acne or folliculitis for that matter. It's just that peanuts give me a couple zits bigger than usual but not a hugh outbreak. I heard that being underweight is just as unhealthy as being overweight. I forgot where but I read acne is a symptom of some people who are underweight (something about your system not cleansing itself well or something). I bet when you're at a better weight for your frame things will really clear up. Good luck!

Its our extreme fast metabolism, I am a teen and I am still growing taller. I keep on growing from bottop top not from the sides. I guess I'll wait until my body stops growing then I could put on some more real meat :)...

Genetics basically rules everything afterall.

#7 universe

universe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

I did read some where ages ago that some toxins are stored in fat cells. Therefore, being underweight there is little place for toxins to be stored and therefore you get acne.

#8 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

I think my diet is not a big factor when it comes to the acne I have. If I were eating take-away, oily or fatty food 7 days a week then maybe it would be a big factor. That's why I don't understand all the crazy diets I see on here. I still eat chocolate on most days, just a small bit, I also drink milk, I also eat pizza, I also eat take-away. But I also balance my diet with healthy home cooking, fruit, vegetables, lots of water, green tea ... and excersize.

And my acne never changed even when I went on a strict diet, likewise, it doesn't change now even eating the stuff I just mentioned.

So ... draw your own conclusion ... ?

If eating healthy and ensuring my health even in old age is crazy, I don't want to be sane.
After suffering with acne since age 11, finally found my triggers 11 years later.
Clear for almost 1 year & in control of my acne, although due to some hyperpigmentation, I believed I was still breaking out. In fact, I thought I had just cleared up a few months ago, but after realizing my "breakouts" were simply scarring I also realized I was technically clear for much longer than I thought. Rare breakouts only whenever I get lazy with my diet.

The Cure for Acne:
-Avoid the Acne Trifecta: Soy, Gluten, and Dairy like the plague.
-Eat a Low-GI diet and avoid Sugar.
-Eat lots of protein and healthy fats (ANTIBIOTIC FREE/NO HORMONES ADDED/FREE RANGE/HUMANELY SLAUGHTERED)
-Get lots of green vegetables and sunshine.
-Supplement whenever possible. Due to how much we've ruined food in the past 60 years, the amount of nutrients found in food nowadays is lower than it was decades ago.
-Exercise, get sunshine, and avoid stressful situations.
-Don't fear food. Go out & eat. It's not good for the skin, but it's good for the soul.