Marine Aquarium Salt For Folliculitis?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin88

Penguin88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hello. My question is regarding folliculitis, not acne, but I know you guys get folliculitis posts from time to time. I get folliculitis on my butt and the back of my thighs, and have read abouut people using salt, especially sea salt and dead sea salt, with good results. I realized I have some marine salt from an aquarium I had a while back... the stuff is made to imitate natural seawater with the proper ph and all the minerals in sewater. I am wondering if anyone has heard of this being used for skin... I have been using a table salt solution which was promising in the beginning but I have since broken out pretty badly.

I know aquarium salt isn't a conventional skin treatment but am wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea. I didn't find anything on google.

#2 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

I don't see anything wrong in using aquarium salt as long as salt is the only ingredient. I wouldn't use table salt though, go for any kind of sea salt and/or Epsom salt. They have natural minerals in them. I've been having really great results with 3/4 Epsom salt and 1/4nsea salt baths. I have mild folliculitus on my body but I also use this solution for my acne and it really helps both!

Something natural that is also great for foliculitus is unrefined virgin coconut oil. It is a natural antifungal, antibacterial and will help get rid of your foliculitus as well. I just rub some on the area and I also eat a spoonful a day.

#3 Penguin88

Penguin88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Marine aquarium salt isnt just sodium chloride, it also has minerals and probably ph buffers to mimic natural seawater. I'm a little confused though, you say additives are bad but that sea salt is good because of the minerals? But that's not just sodium chloride. Pretty sure pure sodium chloride would be non-iodized table salt, which you say is bad. Sorry, I don't understand 100% what you're saying.

#4 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

Sorry for being confusing, I was just thinking if the aquarium salt had man made chemicals or something in it as well as salt that it would be bad. That's all I meant. It sounds good though, I would definitely give it a try.

#5 Penguin88

Penguin88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

No, the chemicals for removing chlorine and conditioning the water are a separate product. I actually realized I threw out the small bag I had, so I will just try coarse sea salt from the store now. But if that doesn't produce great results I think I will purchase some marine salt particularly fod using on my skin. Ill try to update the thread as I haven't heard of anyone using it for their skin before.

#6 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

If you decide to use something else as well, epsom salt is amazing. It draws out toxins from the body and skin and softens the skin too. Unrefined virgin coconut oil rubbed and left on the area also works great for my foliculitus, it really makes a difference.

#7 TheGoodSon

TheGoodSon

Hey let's be friends.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Sports, food, movies, games, friends, fun, love, happy

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

I don't post often but would like to chime in. I picked up some aquarium sea salt about a week ago and have been using it to good success. I'm only a week in but my skin is WAY softer and absolutely zero new break outs on my body. in fact my current spots (and i have alot of them) are all diminshing. I followed what others have posted and play some music in the tub and soak for like 30-45mins at least until i'm all wrinkled up.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users