Photo

How Safe Are Dermal Fillers?

subcision

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 betterliving

betterliving

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

I'm thinking of having professional treatment for my scars finally. I'm hoping maybe subcision or a peel would really work well with the scarring I have, but I don't think I have enough time anytime soon for the recovery time. That's why I'm considering a filler like restylane in the meantime. Do fillers have good results for most people? From what I can tell, it depends on the experience of the doctor more than anything but I am just curious. Thanks for any information.

#2 Greg098

Greg098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

im having fillers in 2 weeks! ive had 5 subscisions over a 8 month peroid. you can follow my posts at: http://www.acne.org/...y/#entry3180109

#3 betterliving

betterliving

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

Good luck to you. I hope that fillers might work for mine and I can have it done soon also.

#4 Greg098

Greg098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

Good luck to you. I hope that fillers might work for mine and I can have it done soon also.

i was told to get subscision first as it works well with fillers. Subscision is a long progress but combined with fillers it works good. Subscision is a permanent thing, where fillers is not. However subscision takes months to see results and this is why fillers are good. Once the fillers wear off, you will see the results.

#5 Nyssa

Nyssa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

I've been using Juvaderm for the last few years because my scars aren't jagged/pitted as much as they are smooth and indented. The doctor tends to over-fill a bit when he does it, so I look a little bumpy the first few days. Then it looks great. The results for me start wearing off around 5 months. It almost does feel like you have been re-scarred when it starts wearing off, though.

You need a doctor who will take his or her time. I've had a couple of instances where he filled a little off to the side and it can make the scar look worse. In those cases, I just went back a few days later and he filled the right spot.

For me, it's an easy procedure with little downtime. Since I tend to get a little red and bumpy during the procedure, I generally don't go out in public for the rest of the day. I've never experienced any health/safety issues with fillers.

#6 tognaccini

tognaccini

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

Temporary dermal fillers are safe, permanent ones could turns into a mess. If you don't like the results you can always wait for a few months to get the temporary filler totally absorbed. With a permanent filler thats a whole different story.

Edited by tognaccini, 19 March 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#7 DainBramaged

DainBramaged

a

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

I've been using Juvaderm for the last few years because my scars aren't jagged/pitted as much as they are smooth and indented. The doctor tends to over-fill a bit when he does it, so I look a little bumpy the first few days. Then it looks great. The results for me start wearing off around 5 months. It almost does feel like you have been re-scarred when it starts wearing off, though.

You need a doctor who will take his or her time. I've had a couple of instances where he filled a little off to the side and it can make the scar look worse. In those cases, I just went back a few days later and he filled the right spot.

For me, it's an easy procedure with little downtime. Since I tend to get a little red and bumpy during the procedure, I generally don't go out in public for the rest of the day. I've never experienced any health/safety issues with fillers.

Weird, Juvederm is supposed to last more than that. I imagine my Restylane injection won't even last half a year. How fast does it wear off, when it starts to? Does it happen gradually or in a few weeks? Have your scars improved by the years?

#8 betterliving

betterliving

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Yes, I was considering temporary dermal fillers if I don't have enought time for subcision recovery, but I scheduled an appointment with a facial plastic surgeon so we'll see. Thanks everyone for the information.

#9 Nyssa

Nyssa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

I would say I start noticing my Juvederm wearing off at the 4-5 month mark. That's not to say it is all gone by then, but that is just when I start noticing the indents coming back. It probably does take 7-9 months for the stuff to completely wear off. When I first started fillers I started with Restylane, but the doctor switched me to Juvederm after a couple of years. I do think the Juvederm lasts longer.

My scars appear to be getting smoother with the repeated injections (I've done them for maybe 8 years). My doctor even remarked how much smoother they look than when he first started. Keep in mind I also started rolling/needling in the last year, so the needling may be partially responsible for the improvement. I don't do the needling right after the filler - I either wait 4 months after the filler to needle, or I just needle other areas where we didn't use the filler.