Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

betterliving

How Safe Are Dermal Fillers?

9 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of having professional treatment for my scars finally. I'm hoping maybe subcision or a peel would really work well with the scarring I have, but I don't think I have enough time anytime soon for the recovery time. That's why I'm considering a filler like restylane in the meantime. Do fillers have good results for most people? From what I can tell, it depends on the experience of the doctor more than anything but I am just curious. Thanks for any information.

Good luck to you. I hope that fillers might work for mine and I can have it done soon also.

i was told to get subscision first as it works well with fillers. Subscision is a long progress but combined with fillers it works good. Subscision is a permanent thing, where fillers is not. However subscision takes months to see results and this is why fillers are good. Once the fillers wear off, you will see the results.

I've been using Juvaderm for the last few years because my scars aren't jagged/pitted as much as they are smooth and indented. The doctor tends to over-fill a bit when he does it, so I look a little bumpy the first few days. Then it looks great. The results for me start wearing off around 5 months. It almost does feel like you have been re-scarred when it starts wearing off, though.

You need a doctor who will take his or her time. I've had a couple of instances where he filled a little off to the side and it can make the scar look worse. In those cases, I just went back a few days later and he filled the right spot.

For me, it's an easy procedure with little downtime. Since I tend to get a little red and bumpy during the procedure, I generally don't go out in public for the rest of the day. I've never experienced any health/safety issues with fillers.

Temporary dermal fillers are safe, permanent ones could turns into a mess. If you don't like the results you can always wait for a few months to get the temporary filler totally absorbed. With a permanent filler thats a whole different story.

I've been using Juvaderm for the last few years because my scars aren't jagged/pitted as much as they are smooth and indented. The doctor tends to over-fill a bit when he does it, so I look a little bumpy the first few days. Then it looks great. The results for me start wearing off around 5 months. It almost does feel like you have been re-scarred when it starts wearing off, though.

You need a doctor who will take his or her time. I've had a couple of instances where he filled a little off to the side and it can make the scar look worse. In those cases, I just went back a few days later and he filled the right spot.

For me, it's an easy procedure with little downtime. Since I tend to get a little red and bumpy during the procedure, I generally don't go out in public for the rest of the day. I've never experienced any health/safety issues with fillers.

Weird, Juvederm is supposed to last more than that. I imagine my Restylane injection won't even last half a year. How fast does it wear off, when it starts to? Does it happen gradually or in a few weeks? Have your scars improved by the years?

:)

Yes, I was considering temporary dermal fillers if I don't have enought time for subcision recovery, but I scheduled an appointment with a facial plastic surgeon so we'll see. Thanks everyone for the information.

I would say I start noticing my Juvederm wearing off at the 4-5 month mark. That's not to say it is all gone by then, but that is just when I start noticing the indents coming back. It probably does take 7-9 months for the stuff to completely wear off. When I first started fillers I started with Restylane, but the doctor switched me to Juvederm after a couple of years. I do think the Juvederm lasts longer.

My scars appear to be getting smoother with the repeated injections (I've done them for maybe 8 years). My doctor even remarked how much smoother they look than when he first started. Keep in mind I also started rolling/needling in the last year, so the needling may be partially responsible for the improvement. I don't do the needling right after the filler - I either wait 4 months after the filler to needle, or I just needle other areas where we didn't use the filler.