Photo

What Make-Up And Oil-Control Product(S) Are Good For Long-Term Wear?

make-up

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 PrettyInside

PrettyInside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'm wondering what make-up--as well as a possible oil-control product to use beneath it--might be good for my very sensitive, 35-year-old skin? (I don't want something that will settle into fine lines. The last thing I need is to play up lines while trying to cover up acne.) I'm considering trying mineral make-up, though I've heard some people have horrible breakouts from it--and that not all brands are alike.

I've been out of work for the last several years. My situation has been a blessing in that I've not had to wear make-up much. Now I'm seeking full-time employment and am stressed about the thought of how my skin might overreact to wearing make-up for 10+ hours again.

During my previous employment, I wore an old-school drying lotion--i.e., Sulfacet-R. Its tint never matched my skin, but it helped control my skin's oil production and didn't create new acne. But Sulfacet-R lotion is no longer made, and liquid foundation "sinks" into my skin and causes breakouts, no matter how "gentle"/ "natural" its formulation.

Thank you,

P.I.

#2 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

I really like Neutrogena products...especially "Oil-Free Lotion for Combination Skin" and "Powder Mineral Sheers". This lotion works really well with my oily t-zone and dry cheeks. It has microsponges that soak up the oil. I'm not using it right now because I'm on a regime where I need more moisture so I'm using DML lotion instead. But I will return to using it in the future. I LOVE Neutrogena's powdered mineral sheers. It is fabulous at covering redness without caking up and doesn't settle in wrinkles. Best way to apply is to do an overall sweep and then take a teeny brush to put a little more on red spots --- it totally covers the red. Plus it blends well as the day goes on...hard to explain but it just looks more natural. I have trouble with makeup changing color --- I think because I have oily skin --- but this mineral makeup stays true to color.

#3 Rachelx7

Rachelx7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Palladio Wet/Dry foundation found at Sally Beauty works well with my acne prone / oily skin. Mineral Fusion is also a good choice, but it's more expensive. Everyday Minerals is what I used to use... but it's not pressed and can be quite messy. I've yet to find a primer that doesn't make me break out... Monistat Chafing gel is what I use on special occasions, but I don't want to use it daily. My skin is so oily, there's no way I can go all day without cleaning/reapplying makeup midway through. I also blot and reapply a bit of makeup after 2 hours. Lots of maintenance comes with oily/acne prone skin.

#4 PrettyInside

PrettyInside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

I really like Neutrogena products...especially "Oil-Free Lotion for Combination Skin" and "Powder Mineral Sheers". This lotion works really well with my oily t-zone and dry cheeks. It has microsponges that soak up the oil. I'm not using it right now because I'm on a regime where I need more moisture so I'm using DML lotion instead. But I will return to using it in the future. I LOVE Neutrogena's powdered mineral sheers. It is fabulous at covering redness without caking up and doesn't settle in wrinkles. Best way to apply is to do an overall sweep and then take a teeny brush to put a little more on red spots --- it totally covers the red. Plus it blends well as the day goes on...hard to explain but it just looks more natural.

I've read the ingredient list for both the pressed- and loose-powder versions of Neutrogena's Mineral Sheers line. Both of them contain many ingredients that are typically known to inflame acne-prone skin. And since my skin is super sensitive, I think I should pass on this brand. Still, I'm glad that it works for you.

P.I.

Palladio Wet/Dry foundation found at Sally Beauty works well with my acne prone / oily skin. Mineral Fusion is also a good choice, but it's more expensive. Everyday Minerals is what I used to use... but it's not pressed and can be quite messy.

In another thread--probably in another sub-forum--people were talking about various mineral make-up types. I can't recall if it was Everyday Minerals or Meow Cosmetics that was faulted for having things in it that often irritate acne-prone skin. Then again, I suppose any product can irritate any skin. Ugh...

I've yet to find a primer that doesn't make me break out... Monistat Chafing gel is what I use on special occasions, but I don't want to use it daily. My skin is so oily, there's no way I can go all day without cleaning/reapplying makeup midway through. I also blot and reapply a bit of makeup after 2 hours. Lots of maintenance comes with oily/acne prone skin.

Did I understand you correctly? You use a Monistat product on your face? I assume it's not intended for that purpose, unless I'm unfamiliar with the entire focus of the Monistat product line. Posted Image

Do you wash your face completely and reapply a full face of make-up during the middle of the day? How do you make that work in the workplace? (I wouldn't dare show anyone my face free of make-up; so washing it off in a public area isn't an option for me.)

P.I.

#5 Rachelx7

Rachelx7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Yes, the Monistat Chafing gel is not intended as a face primer, but I've heard many people use it as such so I gave it a try. It works somewhat... but not nearly good enough to use daily... plus, I think it has led to a few breakouts.

I take portable face wipes with me to work and yes I take all my foundation off and reapply it. I either do it in my car, or in a stall with a sink/mirror... or... I've actually done it in a stall while standing next to my hanging purse. It's not easy to do that without dropping anything, but it feels SO good to have a clean face. It's worth it..

#6 rfc100

rfc100

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

I like Lancome oil-free, fragrance-free, Teinte Idol Ultra. I don't use any power with it and it stays on all day. They have a new formulation I haven't tried yet. I used Chanel foundations for a while too, and they have a more sheer coverage,but went back to the Lancome.

#7 stacey1985

stacey1985

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

I'd recommend Clinique's Anti-blemish foundation - it covers blemishes really well and contains salicylic acid so actively treats them too. I apply it with a brush which i regularly wash. It's the best make up for blemishes ive come across so far! Expensive yes, but my bottle has lasted a long while and its helped give me confidence.

#8 NotMeAtAll

NotMeAtAll

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

I like Bare Minerals Matte. I also use Cetaphil's new oil-control SPF 30. My skin never looks shiny and it feels comfortable, though when I blot, oil will be on the paper.