weight lifting low gi bulking gluten

5 replies to this topic

#1 PiledriverWaltz

PiledriverWaltz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hello folks, i'm a 23 year old male who started getting into weight lifting around 4 months ago (3 days a week, heavy compound lifts). As a scrawny ectomorph I decided to embark on a clean bulk to go with my lifting, unfortunately this combination has resulted in quite severe jawline and neck (under the ears) acne, consisting of both white heads and large red lumps. Apart from this being unsightly it's very painful and i'm quite down about it.

I've tried a fair bit of medication and natural remedies to clear the jawline acne up but it doesn't seem to respond to conventional methods. This has left me with two theories, the testosterone spikes from the heavy lifting is the cause, or it is my diet. As i'm not willing to change my lifting habits, i've decided to go down the diet route after finding this thread http://www.acne.org/...nd-dairy-works/

I have devised a low GI bulking diet (not as easy as it sounds) and as i'm not an expert on this subject I would be grateful for anyone with some experience in low GI diets to take a look at what I have planned, cheers.

Attached Thumbnails

• Low gi diet.PNG

#2 Chestercool

Chestercool

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

acne is not only caused by insulin spikes. In your diet, you have too many gluten, legumes, grains, artificial flavors, etc. As im bulking up too, i find it very difficult to have a low gl impact, because no matter if we get calories from medium gi foods such as oats, we need a lot of it to gain muscle, which means a higher glycemic load. In the diet you just describes the total glycemic load is high, enough to make insulin spike. That's why i decided to go on tane, because i want to gain muscle, and have a good social life, eating hamburgers once in a while.

My personal recommendations is to only have carbs from sweet potatoes ans quinoa, and if gluten doesnt affect you whatsoever, whole wheat pasta and oats. Cut off any protein supplement, at least for a while, they contain shit, my acne developed when i drank gainers. Protein from all meats, light tuna is perfect, eggs too..

ps: if ou decide to keep drinking that protein shake, do it after trainning

good luck brotha
My log might be helpful for you,check it out!! Posted Imagehttp://www.acne.org/...stic-pics-incl/

-I controlled my acne after cutting off whey protein, after 4 months it came back.
-Then i tried an strict paleo diet, it worked. But the ocassional few pimples didnt let my PIH fade
-I wasnt happy with my routine, coudnt drink with my friends, eat different food and the worst: i was loosing confidence
-When my PIH was fading, i broke out, because i tried vitamin C to end with the ocassional pimples, which might cause stomach irritation=break out
- I wasnt happy because of my diet, just broke out, and i started accutane asap.

- Currently, im taking accutane even thought my acne is mild, but with persistant PIH, just few weeks left, no more pimples anymore.

"If i had a wish, i woudnt ask for flawless skin, I'd ask for the maxium of confidence"
Poeple think they are going to be happy and confident if they get rid of their acne...well..they are totally wrong

#3 PiledriverWaltz

PiledriverWaltz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for replying Chester, I agree with what your saying. Problem is, it seems virtually impossible (on a normal budget) to hit a calorie surplus without having a high GI load.

#4 Lee1234

Lee1234

Wanderer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me
  • Interests:Zombies!!!!!!!!!,Cooking, selective research, intellectual conversations, comedy, oriental culture/cuisine, anime, Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX etc, manga, films,nature, holistic living, working out, writing short stories/poems, consoles, etc etc.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

I've done this every winter for the past 4 years and I'll tell you straight. You have to make a sacrifice, either your skin or your muscle mass. Cutting, yes you could easily find an acne-friendly diet, high in protein whilst still maintaining a deficit but, for bulking? unless you take a weight gainer, or spam a few calorie dense foods such as peanut butter, you'll struggle to hit your daily macros. Have you done the calculations for your daily macros yet? if you haven't, you may be eating more than you have to. If you have, share them with me and maybe I'll be able to offer some assistance. Your main concern is hitting your daily fat and protein for the day, with carbs covering the remaining calories required.

"Long hair makes a good looking man, beautiful and an ugly man fierce"

#5 PiledriverWaltz

PiledriverWaltz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hey Lee, thanks for replying, I really appreciate the help.

The macros from the diet I threw together are the following:

Total Cal: 3.5k
Protein: 318g
Carbs: 316g
Fat: 87g

My weight is 150 pound and i'm 6 foot.

Hope that helps.

As far as my Macro's go, i'm not sure what exactly they should be for this low GI business. My usual bulk was usually around 50 (carbs) / 30 (Protein) / 20 (Fat)

Edited by PiledriverWaltz, 12 March 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#6 Lee1234

Lee1234

Wanderer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me
  • Interests:Zombies!!!!!!!!!,Cooking, selective research, intellectual conversations, comedy, oriental culture/cuisine, anime, Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX etc, manga, films,nature, holistic living, working out, writing short stories/poems, consoles, etc etc.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

I'll pm you :D

"Long hair makes a good looking man, beautiful and an ugly man fierce"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users