Photo

What Would You Do If You Were Me?

pictures inside chromium fish oil zinc saw palmetto

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Acnesucks1993

Acnesucks1993

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hello!

So I am now 19 years old and have had acne in some form or another since I was 15

After using all the over the counter crap I finally saw a dermatologist. Minocycline, differen, retin a, and finally accutane. After accutane I had BRILLIANT skin for about 6 months then slowly started coming back and 5 dermatologists later (including a naturopathic derm) until here I am now.

I understand I do not have a terrible case, but it is so persistent. And what sucks the most are the small tiny red mars (forming pimples?)

Now I have always eaten healthily, I would say 7.5/10. 3 months ago I decided to step up and go all the way. I now eat at 9.5/10 occasionally eating a cookie or something. I eat only fruits, vegetables, nuts, superfoods, salmon, and chicken among a few other items. (All organic of course). I also drink copious amounts of water and tea.

And this has made a slight effect but I want to get rid of everything! I run 16 miles a week and have forced myself to sleep on my back (I am a stomach sleeper, and find it far more satisfying, however I am willing to do everything).

Currently (at night) I am taking:
-Chromium
-Beta Cartone
-Saw Palmetto, Pygeum, Nettle Root
-Fish oil
-Zinc
-Sulfur + MSM
-Pro biotics

-AM and PM washing:
-Organic exfoliating face wash

-Once a week:
Aztec clay mask / or honey mask

I don't know what else to do so I was hoping a community could offer me some advice. Much appreciated!

IMG_2653.JPG

#2 AMomofaTeen

AMomofaTeen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Hi. :) What you have done so far is fantastic. Congratulations on your persistence and determination!

The only answer I have is to return to your hopefully? board certified dermatologist and tell him or her you're not happy with the results of the prescribed treatment. Even better, go to another board certified dermatologist for a second opinion.

Doctors are obligated to prescribe treatments which work and when those treatments don't work, Doctors are then obligated to suggest another treatment, and keep trying different treatments, until they discover what works for you, or refer you to another dermatologist. Everyone responds differently and I suspect those who are helped on the first go around might be lucky.

#3 Itsnoteasybeinggreen

Itsnoteasybeinggreen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

My personal experience pro biotics caused breakouts and so did fish oil. I also found that organic face washes cause breakouts. I know you are trying to stay natural and organic but people often have allergies to the plant and flowers oils in natural washes and lotions. After accutane didnt completely clear me, i first went strict organic and it only kept me as clear as your picture is showing. Then i quit all my supplements and I got a lot clearer and then I began washing my face with head and shoulders shampoo. I have been completely clear for 6 weeks. I still eat well and exercise but I have cheat days. And with the addition of head and shoulder I'm completely clear.

#4 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

I'd try topicals again. They often work better after accutane. It's been my experience that the natural face washes and things don't work. Acne is bacteria and needs some antibacterial type wash and topical, like Bp. You can try sulfur if you wish to stay natural. Sulfur is very effective on acne.

I'd honestly eat whatever you want while keeping it healthy. I'd get rid of all the supplements besides fish oil, zinc, and probiotics.

That mask sounds good unless it's regular honey and not manuka.

Edited by Prettywords, 11 March 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#5 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

You giving yourself a 7.5/10 doesn't really lend us much information other than that you feel pretty good about what you're doing when you know you could be doing better as far as diet goes. What are you eating? That's what'll have more of an affect than any supplement you take, when it gets right down to it (but those sound like good supplements. How many strains of bacteria are in the probiotics? You want as many as possible. Have you opened a capsule of the fish oil to smell test it for rancidity?

No one person's advice here is going to make your skin problems stop on a dime but you'll be offered several ideas for ways to change you diet/lifestyle and the more diverse ideas you get is based on the details you give as to your life as of now.

What is your sleep/exercise level like? Do you have any other symptoms besides acne? Are you eating grains? Are you fatigued? How often do you eat sweet or processed things?

#6 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

Prolonged intense cardio increases inflammation that is a major factor in acne. Could you try intervals instead? http://www.acne.org/...ost__p__2661867

When and how well do you sleep? What about stress? Vitamin D? I guess you get outdoors into the light when you run, but is it daily?

Also, MSM breaks many people out. Did your acne change since you started taking it?

#7 Acnesucks1993

Acnesucks1993

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone Posted Image

@amomofateen: I may do this, however I have found all of my dermatalogists to instantly look at my skin and say its mild and just give me the same thing over and over. But if you say so, I may look for a 7th opinion Posted Image

@Prettywords/itsnoteasybeinggreen: Interesting. During my spring vacation I may stop taking all supplements and perhaps try a more traditional topical remedy, I appreciate the insight! Posted Image

@corgisoulpower: Maybe re-read my post? I touched on each aspect in my OP that you asked.

@alternativista: I forgot to mention, I have been a runner all of my life and I currently run on a college cross country team so unfortunately I cannot change that specific aspect. Bu I really do appreciate the help!

-I average 9 hours of sleep a night (I make the time for it)
-Stress is 4.5/10, I stress because of exams and my skin, but everything else in my life is rather stressfree
-Vitamin D? Well as far as supplements go-none. And I live in Seattle and we only get sun a few months a year, but I am outside an average amount regardless.
-And for MSM I have noticed no change, my skin has gotten slightly better since taking the supplements (including the MSM) but I do not believe it has made it worse.

Edited by Acnesucks1993, 12 March 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#8 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Keep us updated after you try something.

You may want to look into sulfur. Some guy on here used it at night and it got rid of all his acne. It's called De La Cruz Sulfur. You can get it online at CVS drugstore and some other places. It gets really good reviews all over the web. I don't know where his post is, but if you search the sulfur on here it should pop up. Sulfur is natural too. ;-)

Edited by Prettywords, 12 March 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

You may want to look into sulfur. Some guy on here used it at night and it got rid of all his acne. It's called De La Cruz Sulfur. You can get it online at CVS drugstore and some other places. It gets really good reviews all over the web. I don't know where his post is, but if you search the sulfur on here it should pop up. Sulfur is natural too. ;-)

Yes. Topical sulfur is a good thing. Epsom salt baths help. And if the MSM supplements are capsules, you could try opening one up and mixing it with aloe vera gel or something to try it topically.

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone Posted Image

@amomofateen: I may do this, however I have found all of my dermatalogists to instantly look at my skin and say its mild and just give me the same thing over and over. But if you say so, I may look for a 7th opinion Posted Image

@Prettywords/itsnoteasybeinggreen: Interesting. During my spring vacation I may stop taking all supplements and perhaps try a more traditional topical remedy, I appreciate the insight! Posted Image

@alternativista: I forgot to mention, I have been a runner all of my life and I currently run on a college cross country team so unfortunately I cannot change that specific aspect. Bu I really do appreciate the help!

-I average 9 hours of sleep a night (I make the time for it)
-Stress is 4.5/10, I stress because of exams and my skin, but everything else in my life is rather stressfree
-Vitamin D? Well as far as supplements go-none. And I live in Seattle and we only get sun a few months a year, but I am outside an average amount regardless.
-And for MSM I have noticed no change, my skin has gotten slightly better since taking the supplements (including the MSM) but I do not believe it has made it worse.

I would add vitamin D and work on the stress. And try the topical sulfur. Unless you find one of the rare dermatologists who understand about the role nutrients, diet and lifestyle play in acne formation, I wouldn't bother ever going back to one. Not for acne or other hyperkertinization-related skin issues, anyway.

Also, bacteria is the least important factor in acne formation and not where efforts should be focused, especially topically. Don't try to scrub it away or use harsh antiseptic or antibiotic topicals. These harm the beneficial microbes on your skin.

If you want to add a topical, try BHAs, AHAs, sulfur, zinc, etc. Queen Helene Mint Julep clay mask has sulfur and zinc and is a dirt cheap and available at any drug store. It kinda stains your washcloths though.

Is your skin oily?

#11 Jal V

Jal V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

I agree that you should add some Vitamin D. Make sure it's D-3 and oil based, not the dry kind and not D-2. I'd also drop most of the supplements you are taking, except for zinc and chromium, simply because most of the other supplements you are taking have very mixed results, sometimes healing less acne than they promote. Zinc and chromium definitely have some of the most consistent results, and for people that don't see results, they usually don't see their acne worsen either, whereas fish oil and MSM for example, either help people tremendously or cause worse breakouts. As far as the running, I don't think that is an issue as long as the 16 miles is spread out over 5 days or more. The problems with running occur more when daily values of 6, 7, and more miles a day are achieved. At levels that high, as with marathon runners, stress and inflammation tend to be much higher. I've experienced this first hand as I used to run about 60 miles a week during high school. Anyway, the combination of Vit D, zinc and chromium should hopefully make a big impact. With the chromium, shoot for chromium polynicotinate as the liver and kidneys don't retain as much as they do with picolinate, which has been known to cause problems in both the liver and kidneys. And for zinc, shoot for picolinate or monomethionine. Don't take more than 40 or 50mg a day longterm. Good luck to you.

#12 Acnesucks1993

Acnesucks1993

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hey guys, just an update, I haven't really seen any progress. I have made some changes,(Including D3 and been using sulfur for about 3 months now).

But overall, my skin trades one mark with a new one. And also within the past month I have developed acne on my jaw (where my jaw meets my neck). I have NEVER

had this before, any connections with this? So just as an update here is what I have been doing:

Morning: Giovanni D:Tox Cleanser
Apply de la cruz Sulfur for 10minutes
Rinse
Giovanni D:Tox moisturizer

Mid day: Vital Nutrients Saw Palmetto/Nettle Root/Pygeum
Zinc whole good complex
Chromium whole food complex
Pro biotic whole food complex
Beta Carotene
Vitamin D3 / fish oil

Night: Giovanni D:tox Cleanser
Giovanni D:Tox scrub
10 minutes of sulfur
Jojoba oil moisturizer

And other than that, I have a very good diet. Very limited sugar, no dairy, lots of fruits and vegetables, organic everything! Many liters of water etc

Any advice? :(

#13 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

I don't know about your facewash, because I don't know the ingredients. Jojoba breaks some people out. The guy who cleared from sulfur left it on all night while he slept. I doubt 10 mins is enough, even though they say that on the package.

Vit D can break some people out, me being of them, because it's a hormone. Sun is better.

I don't know if the saw palmetto would work for a guy....I have no idea what chromium does. I'm not big on supplements besides omegas, probiotic, and Vit. C and zinc.

It could be the wash and moisturizer you're using.

#14 borie88

borie88

Getting there

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

I took Accutane too. Try asking your doctor to check hormone levels. Accutane causes a bunch of problems inside of you. It can cause bile stagnation or less bile production so fat soluble vitamins aren't easily absorbed, adrenal fatigue, hypothyroidism, etc. Take a good Vitamin E supplement with fatty food and let us know about your blood tests.

Also, I find it is better if I don't wash my face. I just exfoliate with a toothbrush once or twice a week. Less irritation.

#15 SamIman

SamIman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

Not sure if you have dairy or not, but cut out all dairy. And don't masturbate, it wreaks havoc on hormones which in turn makes u break out heaps.

#16 WalkTall

WalkTall

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

If i were you i'd probably deepthoat a shotgun Posted Image
All jokes aside i think you should just keep on doing what you're doing
Your skin looks good as if you've found something that's working for you then why change that?

#17 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

It's probably going to take some deep healing work to reverse the damage done to you by accutane. Someone had a thread in here the other day about how to heal from it, I'd take a look at that and keep on the diet/regimen you are doing while maybe starting some deeper healing work such as fasting, liver cleanses, herbs, etc.

#18 Oner

Oner

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

For me, MSM and Probiotics both worsened my acne. Also I heard that saw palmetto could have negative effects as well.

#19 Acnesucks1993

Acnesucks1993

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the replies guys Posted Image

I am interested in getting blood work and or a food intolerance test (ELISA?)

So how do I go about doing this? Just call up a doctor asking for blood work? Also should I go to a special facility to get a food intolerance test done, or are the home ones just as good?

I have also heard that the body adjusts to whatever food you are allergic too over time, is there any truth to that?

Thanks again! Makes me not feel so down when people care!

Edited by Acnesucks1993, 24 April 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#20 Acnesucks1993

Acnesucks1993

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

Anyone? :)