Photo

Carbs or Sugar?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Yaakman

Yaakman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 06:42 AM

Some people say sugar is very bad for ur skin which is very true to many people but isnt carbohydrates the same since they break down into sugar?... if ur not eating any carbs or sugar u must be only eating protein..

#2 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE(Yaakman @ Sep 19 2004, 05:29 AM)
Some people say sugar is very bad for ur skin which is very true to many people but isnt carbohydrates the same since they break down into sugar?... if ur not eating any carbs or sugar u must be only eating protein..

View Post

You think too much,just don't add sugar to your drink/cereal and your notice a big diffrence.

Also if you eat crisp/chips....don't

That's from my own experience that has helped me big-time.

#3 Yaakman

Yaakman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 12:11 PM

i dont eat cereal.. but in general dont carbs breakdown into sugar so its equally as bad?

#4 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(Yaakman @ Sep 19 2004, 10:58 AM)
i dont eat cereal.. but in general dont carbs breakdown into sugar so its equally as bad?

View Post

I'm not too sure on that,can anyone help him?.

#5 Dices15

Dices15

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 12:37 PM

The thing is to eat the more complex natrual carbs in moderation and you should be fine.

#6 phil_b

phil_b

$_GET['myName']

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 01:49 PM

yeah, depends on the carbs, there are good carbs and bad carbs, most r bad.

anyhow, i avoid carbs and sugar. I just live on protein pretty much. ive benefited hugely in terms of weight control and skin situation.

by the way, its not that carbs are broken down into sugar, they are broken down into glucose, two different things. complex carbs just break down slower which is generally better than simple carbs, but glucose all the same. I dont think the glucose from carbs which fuels your body is as bad as the glucose from sugar.

Im not overly clued up on the whole thing but i know my body doesnt seem built for carbs at all. I just dont react well to them. When im eating loads of potatoes, pizza, cereals, chips and bread etc. I just feel heavy, sluggish, tired all the time and generaly not too healthy.

#7 Yaakman

Yaakman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 05:23 PM

glucose is glucose nomatter what

#8 ClearingWell

ClearingWell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 05:33 PM

Sugars will be converted into glucose more quickly, raising your blood sugar levels higher and releasing more insulin than more complex carbs. How that relates to acne, I don't know.

#9 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 06:32 PM

3 Reasons:

A) Sugars contribute to inflammation & weakening of the immune system. Acne can be considered an inflammatory disease.

B ) Sugars are what microorganisms like to feed off of such as p.acnes, demodex, & yeast. The more food they get, the more they can grow, clog pores & or produce inflammation via irritation.

C) The more sugar that races into your blood stream, the more insulin your body will release. Insulin not only helps sugars enter cells, but it also helps store fat. Unless burned off, fat turns into cholesterol which is what acne hormones are made from (steriod hormones). Insulin also has the ability to raise Testosterone hormone more so than it does estrogen (anti-androgenic). Insulin also reduces two ...substances that help reduce skin cell hyperproliferation (IGFBP-3) and bind/reduce Free Testosterone (SHBG) so that it won't turn into supposedly the worse acne irritant for most people DHT (super testosterone).

Before anyone says it, just because you are Insulin Resistant or Hyperinsulinemic does NOT mean you will become a Type II Diabetic (some do) and therefore it does NOT mean that ALL those with Insulin Resistance Syndrome and Diabetics, specifically Type II Diabetics, will have acne!

Acne is but one symptom of a variety of health or hormonal disorders that can arise from eating the same, normal, everyday "healthy" food for susceptible individuals. Just like becoming overwieght can occur for other susceptible individuals on the SAME diet. Oh and yes, some people are "lucky" enough to have acne AND be overweight among a variety of other symptom combinations.

So please try to remember that We are NOT all the same. We are not built the same, despite us all having the same basic building blocks (sugar, proteins & fats), organs, limbs, etc. Despite groups of us living in the same environments, exposed to (possibly) the same toxins, foods, etc., there's a little thing called genetics that makes us RESPOND differently. Therefore, sometimes your environment will be a stronger influence and sometimes it will be your genes that's stronger. It's these Gene-Environment Interactions that makes us all so different. Otherwise we would all talk alike, walk alike, and...think alike and I'm sure we really don't want that. ;-)

Hope that helps

#10 Yaakman

Yaakman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 08:50 PM

that was to big of a post... i cant read it all lol

#11 anthrogal

anthrogal

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 09:31 PM

You're going to think this is lame, but check out the South Beach Diet book by Dr. Agatston. You can probably find it in the library by now, so don't even buy it. This "diet" is about reducing simple carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates are good for you and should make up a large portion of your diet. But they are hard to locate in this high-fructose-corn-syrup-saturated food market. Stick with so-called "good" carbs like old-fashioned oatmeal which has lots of fiber, or whole GRAIN bread that doesn't have any kind of sugar added. Seriously, you think I'm crazy recommending something that sounds like a fad diet, but I've been on it for almost 3 months now and it was originally recommended by my doctor (I'm not overweight, just wanted to lose like 10 lbs). God, I sound like an advertisement, but for means it's about navigating this crazed low-carb nightmare trend and really understanding how to eat well because all those low-carb products are not it.

#12 Yaakman

Yaakman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 10:10 PM

whats ur diet got to do with acne... please go post at fatpeople.com

#13 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE(Yaakman @ Sep 19 2004, 09:57 PM)
whats ur diet got to do with acne... please go post at fatpeople.com

View Post

Ahhh, now why'd you have to say something like that???

Considering that you are the originator of this thread, one would think you would actually CARE about people trying to help you. Yet since you can't be bothered to read a few paragraphs and actually LEARN something, I suppose you wouldn't understand what hers, or any of our, posts have to do with acne.

So, do you honestly want answers or not?

#14 Yaakman

Yaakman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:40 AM

im sorry but it had nothing to do with the post...

#15 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE(Yaakman @ Sep 20 2004, 06:27 AM)
im sorry but it had nothing to do with the post...

View Post

Ahh, then you don't understand how carbohydrates can negatively affect your skin then, do you?

#16 anthrogal

anthrogal

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:24 AM

What an ass! I think you need to look at your question again and see that I am addressing it. If you're going to be like that, don't bother coming here for advice. I'm definitely not interested in helping you.

#17 Yaakman

Yaakman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:21 PM

im sorry man its just you were only saying stuff about losing weight you didnt say 1word that had acne in it anyhow i misinterpreted it so im sorry

#18 Dices15

Dices15

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:53 PM

I am one the south beach diet (phase 3) to and it dose help you acne because it eliminates all the bad carbs and fats which will do worders for your skin as well as weight.

#19 Yaakman

Yaakman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:44 PM

i stoped eating carbs and sugar long ago without that diet

#20 Dices15

Dices15

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2004 - 11:28 AM

You don't need to buy the deit book to be on the deit but it helps alot and give good insight and directions. I eliminates those simple (bad) carbs and introduces you to more healthy complex carbs with are better for you body and your skin. It is a theroy that (more sugar=more insulin=more hormones=more oil production=more acne) And yes sugar is a carb and carbs turn into sugar so eating to much white bread is just as bad as eating tomuch cake. Wnd when you eat these simple carbs such as white sugar and white flour they give you a sugar rush while coplex carbs like all natural born sugar and flour take longer to break down and keep you sugar leaves even and hormones.