Photo

My Skin Is Extremely Oily But Also Prone To Flaking?

oily skin

4 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren1

Lauren1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

So my skin is extremely oily. Every hour, I have to blot my face and it is soaking with grease. I use the Clean & Clear blotting paper and I'll make the whole sheet clear. I go through a pack every 2 weeks or so. It's disgusting. However...I am also prone to dryness and flaking if I don't use moisturizer. Why is my skin so ridiculously oily? My acne is pretty mild. I get a hormonal zit on my chin the week before my period, nose blackheads, and the occasional zit on my cheek, but my main problem is the ridiculous OIL.

#2 Valairiel

Valairiel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

Hi Lauren,

I share the same frustration. I have oily skin too. Come 10.00-11.00am my skin has a shiny film that looks horrendous. You are right it is the oil that causes the problems. What do you currently use on your skin? When having oily skin type it's important to carefully pick and choose what products that will be work for our skin. using something to harsh will strip our skin of the oil in the short term, but our skin will very rapidly increase oil production.

Here are a few ways I have managed to help with the oil.
  • Diet. - Lots of fruit/veg/salads/water.I've been prescribed with Differin 0.1.I've just recently a review on it. It does initially dry out the skin and cause redness and flaking. however it does improve with time, i'm on my third week of using it and i have seen results already, I have less breakouts, and my skin is a lot less oily.. I would advise to use an SPF if you do go down this route
  • As for the flakes. I have bought the Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Facial cleaner. it comes with 2 muslin cloths which are great for gently exfoliating. I use this at night a 2-3 times a week.
  • I wear a Mattifying Primer on my face after I have washed my face and used my Acne treatment. It's great. You can wear it with or without makeup, and I have noticed a reduction in the amount of oil present on my face throughout the day.
  • Use a good moisturizer. MAC have brought out some moisturizers which are a gel based rather than an oily cream. I haven't yet bought some but i plan to do so in the near future, and i do believe this is the way forward for people with oily skin.
Last of all I'd just like to round of with this. When battling with oily skin, I don't believe there is a miracle product that can solve the problem 100%. Having oily skin is just having a skin type as some people are sensitive, or dry. I do believe however that a combination of things do help with this, such as getting into a routine which is stuck to fairly rigidly, Using the right products, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Even whilst staying true to the above i still have oily skin, at the end of the day i do have a slight shine to my face, but these are just some ways in which it has helped for me, and again i do understand your frustration, having oily skin makes you feel horrible and your conscious of it all the time.

I hope this helps Lauren, Posted Image
xx

Edited by Valairiel, 12 March 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#3 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

...When having oily skin type it's important to carefully pick and choose what products that will be work for our skin. using something to harsh will strip our skin of the oil in the short term, but our skin will very rapidly increase oil production.

That's just an Old Wives' Tale. Our skin doesn't "rapidly increase oil production" just from washing. Washing has no effect at all on how much sebum our skin produces. That depends on various HORMONES (androgens and estrogens, especially).

#4 mbbento

mbbento

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

I have this same problem!

#5 MYYMMYYM

MYYMMYYM

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

I too have this problem. I've changed my diet and increased water intake. Hell, I even started exercising again. My face is still an oily mess 15 minutes after I wash it. I understand your frustration. Hang in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users