Photo

Paleo Diet, Advanced

paleo paleo diet vitamin vitamins vitamin e fish oil gluten red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Ludicrous

Cpt Ludicrous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

It should be common sense by now, that e.g. SHBG, IGF-1 and Insulin are important values for health and clear skin in particular. Furthermore, that “westernized” cultures are more affected by acne than “non-westernized”. There sure are a lot of differences between these two lifestyles, but diet is what plays the most significant part in the acne development in my opinion. So the following text is about the advantages of a paleolithic diet.

To explain the title, I like to tell you my acne past.

My skin seems to be an even more sensitive gauge of my diet than I’ve ever expected.
After cutting out the usual suspects out of my diet, I noticed, that my acne got better. (It’s not easy to assess how much exactly) but food, which was low GI/GL, no dairy, no grains, equal omega ratio, let my face became 40% better (my “body acne” got way better than that: approximately 80%). Now that I think about it… it was more like 35%±10. It was just fluctuating quite heavy, but at least you got an idea of how much. A not-really-precise one. But,… nah, it’s not that important now.

So I was gone “paleo”.

I hadn’t just bought a book and started eating like that. I read a lot of acne sites, forums and stuff like that on the internet, but eventually started researching on my own. A lot. I tried different diets. Let’s just say, the road to eating “paleo” wasn’t that short.
I began looking at things (not just disease) out of an evolutionary perspective a long time before that. As for acne, the results in the mirror were confirming once more that this was the right thing to do. It was the right way… was it? My Skin got better, sure, but why wasn’t I clear? I was wondering a lot about that topic, trying to figure out what the difference between the diet of the paleolithic humans and my “paleo” diet were.

First thing I cut out of my already restricted diet was olive oil.

As I was looking for the reason, that this would benefit me, I stumbled over the downside of oil extraction. I’ve read about lipid oxidation of “PUFA-Oils” during cooking before, but Olive oil? Really? No one had a problem with EVOO, aside from the omega ratio. PUFA seem to spoil even if not heated or left in an open bottle¹? The reduction of the antioxidants normally surrounding them², in their natural environment, appears to be why. Was this causing acne? Mh, better just I cutting it out.

Next food that was affected by that were my omega 3 fish oil capsules. They were pure PUFA with added Vitamin E. Vitamin E for the antioxidantal effect. So how did they become rancid?
Didn’t really matter. I cut them out as well.
I picked frozen salmon as my omega 3 source instead, and have been eating 1/2lb (accounting for ~5g omega 3)³ every day since (my roommate loves me for that one). Even the heating process won’t harm the PUFAs⁴.

Following these nutritional steps my skin improved.

Despite of adding fatty fish to my diet, I was losing weight. As I searched for calories I came across “nuts”. Almonds seemed a good choice regarding the omega 6 intake. I read that the best way of preparing them, according to paleo-sites, was to soak them. Seeing what came out of them after an overnight water bath, I was rather sure that this was good thing to do. But after weeks of reducing the amount, and hoping the delicious raspberry almond milk wouldn’t be taken away from me, I stopped convincing myself that the almonds didn’t make my skin worse. (while my omega ratio was balanced)

Did I underestimate the leverage of antinutrients?

Sure, I heard of them before, but always thought their presence would show itself in indigestion. So they were the next possible acne related culprit I had to take care of. Reading about them, and their effects (e.g. on the immune system⁵), I thought, and still do, that lectins are the worst of the group antinutrients found in foods. Next thing to do was to cut all lectin-containing foods in general, which were known to cause problems. So nightshades, mostly peppers and tomatoes for me, were crossed of my diet.
Till today I don’t know how much, if any, improvement came of cutting the nightshades. But precaution was better than suffering weeks finding the lectin, or the amount of which I react to.

So, nuts didn’t go well.

Next calorie dense food I tried was quinoa. As a fake-grain it was loaded with saponins, another antinutrient trying to protect the plant from being eaten. As I learned about possible effects of eating quinoa, it became clear, that the saponins could, and should, be decreased by washing the seed prior to cooking.
But even rinsed and cooked low GL portions made my skin worse. I didn’t really know if it was saponin residue or other lectins/antinutrients, but I knew I could no longer eat quinoa.

Fructose: an apple a day, keeps the… waaait a minute

So after cutting olive oil I didn’t add anything to my diet and still had acne? At that time nothing food-related could shock or stop me. So next one, please: fructose in fruit. There always been a discussion about fruits in the paleo community and on this board. Some say fructose from fruits is fine and you can devour them, some say 10g fructose/day should not be exceeded (e.g. according to Dr. Lustig).
Fruits were my main source of carbs, in that time. Our paleolithic progenitors had huge access to them at least in the summer/fall. Made sense to me. As long as I stayed low GL with fruits I should be fine. No, not really. I ate around 100g/d of fructose. I lowered it drastically and my skin became better. So after a bit trial and error, I ate (and still do) max. 50g/d fructose.
50g/d is still waaaay to much? Well, it’s controversial. “Fructose is used to make rats insulin resistant” is something you could say regarding that topic. But it would be very plausible (by looking at an ape’s diet), if hominids are more adapted to fruit intake, and therefore fructose, than rats or other rodents. Maybe the fruits were small and less sugary than the ones we know. I can’t tell. Maybe I shouldn’t even defend my intake, because I don’t force anybody to eat anything.
Why fructose shouldn’t be overeaten by me, I don’t know. Several things could cause negative effects (e.g. Insulin resistance, AGEs).

Was I finally clear?

The huge decrease in calories, due to the cutting-fructose-thing, got me searching for a carb source again. Sweet potatoes were what I found (and I haven’t found a reason to ditch them since). As for a fat source next to salmon, I picked avocados.
But ~80% was the most my facial skin wanted to become better.

Not enough for me.

Long story short Posted Image: As it turned out, it was the omega 3 to 6 ratio, which took the last 20% from me. My fault: I ate 3-4 avocados a day, and they weren’t the small kind neither. I estimate it was ca. 16g omega 6 a day. In disregard of vegetable omega 3 sources, avocados vs salmon would end up at a 3:1 ratio. I honestly never thought that the exact ratio would matter that much but as I cut back to an equal ratio, I got clear. No red mark left.
Finally.

Nice story you might think.

But I can assure you, that this isn’t just another thread claiming ridiculous things, like these
“I had a strawberry with my cornflakes yesterday and broke out today!!!111 so: fruit = acne!”- threads.
Jumping to conclusion is not something I have done here. I know, that my “theses” are pretty strange, but at least I tested them, verified them (as far as this is possible), before I tell you about.
For example the olive oil thing: Of course I tried different ones. I bought cheap ones, expensive ones, I stored them in the fridge. They never smelled or tasted rancid, and yet, there is a very high possibility that exactly that caused me a problem. I can never be 100% sure, but because I am able to consume olives without any bad consequences, it explains the findings best for me.
I tried substituting almonds with “soaked” macadamias (they don’t really do that), even ate roasted (in their own fat) macadamias, but no matter what, nothing worked.
Maybe the fish oil in the capsules was contaminated by whatever, a heavy metal, I don’t know, but I tested different amounts and brands and I could reproduce results. This is maybe as close I can get to write my results with certainty (a certain certainty).

I guess what I’m trying to say is, that some people should “work” a little bit more scientific, but that is just something I noticed. I don’t want to start debating over the threats and benefits of health recommendations on the internet Posted Image I’m just concerned that “strange diet”-threads, as this one, have a credibility problem.
That would be a nice sentence to end with but…

“Y U no stop?”

…there is some more.

Interesting findings I'd like to share

As my skin/body is super sensitive to several dietary things, I like to tell you about my experiences with sweetener. I used: Acesulfam-K, Aspartame, Saccharin-Natrium, Thaumatin, Splenda/Sucralose, Natriumcyclamat and Stevia.
Stevia excluded, they all gave me a headache, some more some less, but all did. Splenda even gave me a breakout (there is a topic about this on here I think).
Additional to this, the urge to pee after drinking sweetened fluids (again not stevia) comes way faster, than with same deal of fluid without sweetener. It’s the same when I drink alcohol. Sweetener seem to provoke a reaction like (the hepatotoxic agent) ethanol does. (But alcohol doesn’t give me a headache, not even the next day Posted Image I don’t say that some sweetener are poisonous, but I guess they aren’t that harmless neither.

GI/GL

Everybody got their own GL- value they don’t want to exceed. But, although the glycemic/insulin responses may vary from person to person (and is influenced by more factors), the insulin-answers are important to most. So here is something, which seemingly is neglected sometimes.
The effect of food preparation on serum insulin. When one is making fruit smoothies or mashed sweet potato, there can be substantial difference in the insulin response following these meals⁶, than expected by their GI. This is just something worth noticing when making “green” smoothies.

What to do next? Answering so many questions.

Cocoa, the unsweetened baking kind, seems to be quite popular on this board. I think just one person ever noted a negative skin reaction after consuming some. Well I break out pretty bad from it as well. I didn’t really delve in cocoa-related papers so I’m not sure what to make of it.
Except for now?
Just recent I noticed, that frozen (there is not really a source of fresh spinach where I live, at least not now) spinach is also a trigger for me. Yes, spinach, and yes, I tried it several times. Like I said I haven’t done a lot of research but spinach and cocoa have one thing in common: high oxalic acid content. That’s definitively something worth looking into. Cocoa is extracted from seeds, so maybe antinutrients are ruining it for me?

Ground meat. I don’t know if the high fat part of it is oxidizing that fast so lipid oxidation becomes a problem once more. Maybe it’s because the beef wasn’t grassfed and the low nutrient content is responsible for that. I don’t know.

Olive oil with added antioxidants would be something I like to try, too.

So is coconut-oil. Although I would be very surprised I can eat coconuts trouble-free. But the pure fat fraction of those is worth a shot, even if it would not be paleo. At least there aren’t so many PUFAs or fragile fats in general, to worry about.

Pressure cooking nuts/seeds appears decrease lectins very effectively. It’s highly unlikely that paleolithic people pressure-cooked anything, but I just like to know. One more thing I will have a go at.

Eggs with their gluten-like stickiness, would be a cheap energy source with a great variety of uses. But I doubt, that the egg white won’t mess me up.

It would be helpful to know if the total amount of omega 3 and 6 (like 15g : 15g) play a role in my acne development. Tough it could lead to increased fructose-PUFA interactions.

…I’m afraid the list goes on.

As final words I like to say a bit in general.

Pain, indigestion or acne your body tries to communicate with you.
Instead of just asking the old “Why me?!”- question, maybe you should start seeing acne as an indicator for how valuable your diet (diet as an example) is. A helpful thing to have. Better than having clear skin, while “eating whatever you want”, and developing diabetes with 30y or CHD with 50y. But…
easy for me to say.

REFERENCES

¹Handbook of olive oil: analysis and properties
The main processes leading to the deterioration of lipids are hydrolytic rancidity, or lipolysis, and oxidative rancidity, or oxidation. In olive oil, the former usually begins while the oil is in the fruit, whereas the latter is mainly produced during the extraction process and storage (Kiritsakis 1990).

²Partitioning of Olive Oil Antioxidants between Oil and Water Phases
The olive oil antioxidants are amphiphilic in nature and are more soluble in the water than in the oil phase. Consequently, a large amount of the antioxidants is lost with the wastewater during processing.

³National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference
Release 24

The stability of fish oils high in polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) in fresh fish of low, medium and high fat content was investigated using microwave oven cooking. Cooked and uncooked portions of butterfish, mullet, mackerel and sardines were extracted, the lipid recovered and fatty acid composition determined. The effect of cooking was minimal with no detectable difference in total lipid between cooked and uncooked samples. Most important, PUFA were virtually unaffected by the overall cooking and the cooked fish retained their original PUFA composition and content.

Modulation of immune function by dietary lectins in rheumatoid arthritis
Additionally, dietary lectins have the ability to interact with components of the immune system which may facilitate the autoimmune process

Depletion and disruption dietary fiber. Effects on satiety, plasma-glucose, and serum-insulin.
Serum-insulin rose to higher levels after juice and purée than after apples. The removal of fibre from food, and also its physical disruption, can result in faster and easier ingestion, decreased satiety, and disturbed glucose homœostasis which is probably due to inappropriate insulin release.

#2 Elvin83

Elvin83

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Wow, that's a hell of a journey.

So, what's left for you to eat?

I'm on a similar diet. but without coconut oil, or nuts, I would have a hard time keeping my weight on.

Elvin

#3 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

Wow!! Bravo for the careful and methodical approach you took in trying to figure out the source! And welcome to the boards! Love your country by the way...what a magical place to visit.

Very interesting about spinach and oxalates...hmm... I don't think I've come across this yet with anyone else on the boards in regard to spinach, but we're all different, and we all have genetic factors that make us all react differently.

My take on the paleo diet is that it mostly works for acne due to being a low-glycemic diet, but a low-glycemic diet can also be achieved with a plant-based diet, which is much higher in nutrients and lower in toxins than a paleo diet.

You are right that too many fruits can be a problem for some. However, when combined with other foods like greens, fats, etc., the overall glycemic-load of the meal is reduced, making them better, but you still would want to limit how many you eat per meal--same goes with nuts/seeds--no more than 1 oz. per meal if you have acne.

How is your nutrient intake? You can't do spinach, but do you have access to other greens (our most nutrient-rich foods, and a great source of beta carotene--wonderful for skin)? Are you also getting enough fiber, which is crucial for normal digestion?

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

~Philippians 4:8~

Green smoothies/blended greens keep me clear! Click here

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

#4 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

Are you still losing weight?

Do you think it is possible for me to balance my omega 3 to 6 ratio even though I eat nuts and peanut butter every day?

It could have been the preservatives or other added ingredients in the fish oil pills that broke you out. I found that I have reactions to most pills because of their added ingredients.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

• Probiotics 25 billion organisms/day

• Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser 2x/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#5 Cpt Ludicrous

Cpt Ludicrous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Today i ate:

Salmon 250g
Avocado x2 (big ones)
Brokkoli/cauliflower (50/50) 1kg (big stomach runs in the male family)
Apple, Orange, Raspberries 1/1/ ~130g
Sweet potato ~450g
Turkey hen ~400g (like 1g fat/100g. Nearly nothing to worry about regarding lipid oxidation or omega 6)
Leafy Salat 150g

~Total: 2063 kcal; 175g protein, 145g carbs (40g fructose), 87g fat.

Weeks ago I messed up my knee, so I don’t do sports and can’t do for around a month.
Because I normally do that every day, I guess my energy requirement will rise quite a bit, when i start again. Then I have to eat higher GL meals before and/or after I come back I think.

^Omnivium

The omega ratio is important, but i think peanutbutter isn't just problematic due to omega 6. I don't know if it is store-bought or homemade, but it should be eaten with caution either way. You could decrease the amount you're using and start taking fish oil pills, which doesn't harm you. But first i would recommend, that you cut out peanutbutter for a while and see if your skin gets better.

Edited by Cpt Ludicrous, 09 March 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#6 vapor1

vapor1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Maybe you said so and I didn't see it, but why do you only eat salmon and not grass-fed beef and/other meats? I doubt the lectins in eggs would give you any problems; you should try. That's interesting that spinach (and possibly olive oil) break you out. Doesn't evoo have vit E which prevents oxidization?
Clear as long as I stick to Paleo - lots of meats, vegetables, healthy fats, and small amounts of fruit. Supplements: CLO/ fish oil, Mg, vit. D3, vit. E.

#7 Cpt Ludicrous

Cpt Ludicrous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:41 AM

Organic-fed beef is very pricey. I can't say that i ever saw grass-fed beef in stores. If the animals are really getting 100% from pastures, i guess it will be far too expensive.
Not that i would call ~4,60$ for salmon cheap. Next to that issue, i don't really know what to make of saturated fat and it's possible connection to insulin sensitivity/resistance.

I'm not so concerned about the lectins (deriving from the hen's feed?) in eggs. It's more the egg white.

Egg white allergy in the general population varies between 1.6 – 3.2 % and is the second most common cause of food allergy in children next to milk8. For both adults and children one or more of the following symptoms may occur: hives, atopic dermatitis (red, flaky itchy skin), asthma, runny nose, diarrhea, abdominal pain, rapid swelling of the skin and mucosa, and anaphylactic shock which may be life threatening. The major allergens in egg white are ovomucoid, ovalbumen, ovotransferrin and lysozyme8 (Table 1). So for the vast majority of children and adults (98.4 – 96.8% of the population), egg white allergy is not a problem, and except for anaphylactic shock is not a debilitating or life threatening condition.

The same conclusion may not be true for people suffering from an autoimmune disease (e.g. multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, lupus erythematosus and others), since egg white consumption may contribute to the origin and progression of these diseases via a process of molecular mimicry that I have previously outlined for dietary lectins found in wheat, peanuts and other grains and legumes 11.

You can see from Table 1 that egg white protein is no simple protein, but rather a conglomeration of multiple proteins which have been designed by natural selection to cause toxic and lethal effects in bacteria and microorganisms reminiscent of food lectins found in grains and legumes11. In order for any food proteins to potentially cause or promote an autoimmune disease, it must:

• Survive the human digestive processes intact
  • Cross the gut barrier intact either alone or with other attached proteins
  • Interact with the immune system in a manner suspected of causing an autoimmune disease.
A number of egg white proteins fulfill these necessary steps. Most problematic is the egg white protein, lysozyme which is actually an enzyme known as N-acetylhexosaminodase that is also found in many human tissues, including tears 12. The function of lysozyme in both egg whites and in human tears is to act as a potent bacterialcidal agent by binding and dissolving bacterial cell walls12.

(Paleo Diet Q & A - 29 January 2010 - Update on Eggs)

Olive oil is a "good" source of antioxidants. Thats party why it is considered to be healthy. I just believe, that the amount of antioxidants left after extraction isn't enough to protect the oil for a longer time. I guess i could eat olive oil, which was pressed ~a week ago. But the oils found in the store are a looong way from that.

Edited by Cpt Ludicrous, 10 March 2012 - 03:43 AM.

#8 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

You might want to look at histamine as the source of your reactions to some of those foods. When you mentioned spinach and cocoa thats what came to mind. Some people have allergic reactions to histamine. Just a thought.

Love and accept yourself for exactly who you are right now. 

25, female, moderate acne since age 12. 

Accutane at least 6 times.
Intolerances: corn & wheat & alcohol.

100% clear, if I follow the diet.

"the absence of flaw within beauty, is itself a flaw."

#9 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

i don't really know what to make of saturated fat and it's possible connection to insulin sensitivity/resistance.

It's the healthiest thing you can eat, and it looks like that's the only thing you're missing. Great thread.
*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

#10 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

Yaaaay someone new who posts intelligently!

Well done. I get my grass-fed meats from Andronico's or grasslandbeef.com (the minimum order is $75, so my housemates usually pitch money and we all share for that route). Look into gelatin/bone broth/probiotics/fermented foods if you haven't already. I'd be surprised if you hadn't come across any of that stuff already if you're dabbling with paleo sites.

Instead of looking for the right person, become the right person.

If you treat your self/symptom with a lot more compassion, you'll find your skin heals much faster when it's not constantly in store for a thrashin'. Rather than blasting the sound of what you're currently treating your face with, the case may be you just need to change the station and re-evaluate you and your skin's relationship . It's easier than you think to relate with, because much like mainstream radio emotions always make for underrated yet relevant statements.

My website is in progress and will probably benefit you in some way.

#11 takenimpulse

takenimpulse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Good read. I was thinking of going strict paleo. Guess I'll have to switch out legumes/quinoa for lunch with squash varieties. I've also been neglecting fruit. Gonna have to re-introduce them soon...

Edited by takenimpulse, 11 March 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#12 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Good read. I was thinking of going strict paleo. Guess I'll have to switch out legumes/quinoa for lunch with squash varieties. I've also been neglecting fruit. Gonna have to re-introduce them soon...

I've been on a lima bean kick lately. Soak 'em for 24 hours prior to prepping, simmer for 45 minutes and eat 'em with bone broth. Such a great flavor/texture and tons of molybdenum. There are also navy beans in the cabinet waiting to get soaked. They're both low in lectins and pretty good for you. Fermenting grains to make them more digestible is also another option.

Instead of looking for the right person, become the right person.

If you treat your self/symptom with a lot more compassion, you'll find your skin heals much faster when it's not constantly in store for a thrashin'. Rather than blasting the sound of what you're currently treating your face with, the case may be you just need to change the station and re-evaluate you and your skin's relationship . It's easier than you think to relate with, because much like mainstream radio emotions always make for underrated yet relevant statements.

My website is in progress and will probably benefit you in some way.

#13 Cpt Ludicrous

Cpt Ludicrous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

I just want to share my recent diet experiences. As stated above, I wanted to try different foods. Here’s what happened.

Coconut products

I bought canned coconut milk with no added ingredients next to water. A few minutes after ingesting it my stomach started aching. I got a little sick, but not to the degree that I had to throw up. It was basically stomach pain with little nausea for like half an hour. I laid down that time and eventually fell asleep. When I woke up an hour later the pain was gone. I didn’t get diarrhea but a weird/slightly painful feeling in my gut. I was granted a pretty bad breakout additionally to the upset stomach. I have no idea what exactly might have caused it. It could be salicylates, lectins, I don’t know. But I thought it sure wasn’t the fat part. So I tried coconut oil. As I tasted it (liquid) I noticed an itchy feeling in my throat. I ate it anyway. Interestingly: I broke out from it. Curious about the reason for that I learned that a few people were having similar itchy throat sensation. More on that later.

Ghee

With its high saturated fat percentage ghee was another choice of a stable fat source. I clarified the butter myself, at the lowest temperature possible. Very tasty, no skin problems, I was happy that I found a fat source without lipid peroxidation issues or omega balancing troubles. But the ghee had a different effect on my body. When I got up from sitting down I felt dizzy, there was this blackening of my sight. But that’s not all, my heart starts hurting (NO doubt it was the heart!). I got seriously scared. The dull pain wasn’t permanent but I had it several times during the day. So I quit the ghee and the issues mentioned above went away. What could possibly explain this?
Butter/ghee has a different saturated fat profile than saturated fat sources from paleolithic times¹. So basically this is what I believe to be the problem for me. I found other persons who see this as the reason to discard diary completely, or at least most of it² ³. It isn’t “paleo” anyway, but it was just too tempting to have it as fat source.
But that’s not all there is to say about ghee.
Like I said, I clarified the butter myself (good irish butter btw). As I reached the bottom of the glass I had filled it in, I saw a tiny amount of milk solids. I didn’t want to risk getting in contact with it, so I clarified the rest again. Because I hadn’t much time I put a pot on the stove and set it for high heat. Quickly it was re-clarified. When I tasted it, the very light itching of my throat from the first clarifying, had become way more intense. I had to cough after swallowing a bit.

My thoughts on this

Once again I think that lipid peroxidation is the culprit. Both fat sources haven’t got a lot PUFAs. They both didn’t taste rancid. But the itchy throat thing got me searching. Coconut allergy or rancidity are the explanations I found on the itch-thing, regarding coconut. Though the symptoms after taking coconut products seem to point in the allergy direction, my re-clarifying ghee experiment shouldn’t be forgotten.
Just to clarify (kihihihihi pun intended!) the following, I’m trying to make the connection that lipid peroxidation manifests itself in an itchy throat. Lipid peroxidation is essentially this:

Reactive oxygen species (ROS), such as OH· and HO2, which combines with a hydrogen atom to make water and a fatty acid radical. The fatty acid radical is not a very stable molecule, so it reacts readily with molecular oxygen, thereby creating a peroxyl-fatty acid radical. This too is an unstable species that reacts with another free fatty acid, producing a different fatty acid radical and a lipid peroxide, or a cyclic peroxide if it had reacted with itself. This cycle continues, as the new fatty acid radical reacts in the same way. When a radical reacts with a non-radical, it always produces another radical, which is why the process is called a "chain reaction mechanism."” ⁴

So I conclude, that there are fatty acid radicals in my ghee. When we assume that heat induces lipid peroxidation and therefore radicals, than more additionally heat would mean more of those. Here comes the leap. Radicals itch my throat? Why whould they do that? So I looked into this and came up with this:

“Respiratory tract lining fluids (RTLFs) are a heterogeneous group of substances covering the respiratory tract epithelial cells (RTECs) from nasal
mucosa to alveoli. Antioxidants contained in the RTLFs can be expected to provide an initial defense against inhaled environmental toxins. The major
antioxidants in RTLF include mucin, uric acid, protein (largely albumin), ascorbic acid, and reduced glutathione (GSH).” ⁵
“It is proposed that one of the functions of the mucus layers lining the respiratory tract and gastrointestinal system is the scavenging of highly reactive oxygen-derived species. This would provide anti-oxidant protection to the underlying mucosal epithelial cells.” ⁶

I don’t know if this mucus-layer-antioxidants-complex reacts with fatty acid radicals, and I surely don’t know why this reaction would be recognized by neurons, which signal an itch to the brain. It’s pretty much a wiiiild guess, but at least it’s one explanation.

Parsnip

“Parsnip root contains three photoactive, mutagenic, and photocarcinogenic psoralens in a total concentration of about 40 parts per million. These chemicals are not destroyed by normal cooking procedures (boiling or microwave); thus humans are exposed to appreciable levels of psoralens through the consumption of parsnip and possibly other psoralen-containing foodstuffs. The toxicologic consequences to man of such exposure may be speculated on the basis of medicinal and laboratory studies, but epidemiologic data are not available.” ⁷

Yes, even low GL meals break me out. As mentioned in my first post, my body literally “shows” me if any substance is compromising my health. If I haven’t starved myself till then, I’ll probably get 200 years old.

Next up:

Macadamia oil: very small PUFA part. Good omega ratio.
Cocoa butter: very low PUFA content. Good SFA composition.

REFERENCES

¹Thepaleodiet Dairy and Saturated Fats

The saturated fatty acid profile of dairy fat varies considerably from the fat found in most tissues of wild game and fish that were the staples of our ancestral diet.

² ³paleohacks

I Think I May Have Figured Out Why Some of Us Have Really High LDL

Butter and Heavy Cream - What’s the deal with Palmitic Acid and Myristic Acid? We’ve GOT to get this straight folks

⁴Wikipedia - Lipid peroxidation

⁵Oxidants, Antioxidants, and Respiratory Tract lining fluids

⁶ANTIOXIDANT PROTECTION: A FUNCTION OF TRACHEOBRONCHIAL AND GASTROINTESTINAL MUCUS

⁷Natural toxicants in human foods: psoralens in raw and cooked parsnip root

#14 vapor1

vapor1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

The nausea feeling is normal if you eat large amounts and have never done so. When I first starting having a lot of coconut, I had the same thing. You have to build a tolerance, starting with only a little and gradually increasing. That's weird that it would cause you to breakout though

Edited by vapor1, 06 April 2012 - 11:03 AM.

Clear as long as I stick to Paleo - lots of meats, vegetables, healthy fats, and small amounts of fruit. Supplements: CLO/ fish oil, Mg, vit. D3, vit. E.

#15 Cpt Ludicrous

Cpt Ludicrous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

I will give coconut products one last shot. Just plain coconut. Neither anything extracted from it nor unnaturally stored in cans. Guess I should have started with this one.

#16 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Today i ate:

Salmon 250g
Avocado x2 (big ones)
Brokkoli/cauliflower (50/50) 1kg (big stomach runs in the male family)
Apple, Orange, Raspberries 1/1/ ~130g
Sweet potato ~450g
Turkey hen ~400g (like 1g fat/100g. Nearly nothing to worry about regarding lipid oxidation or omega 6)
Leafy Salat 150g

~Total: 2063 kcal; 175g protein, 145g carbs (40g fructose), 87g fat.

Weeks ago I messed up my knee, so I don’t do sports and can’t do for around a month.
Because I normally do that every day, I guess my energy requirement will rise quite a bit, when i start again. Then I have to eat higher GL meals before and/or after I come back I think.

^Omnivium

The omega ratio is important, but i think peanutbutter isn't just problematic due to omega 6. I don't know if it is store-bought or homemade, but it should be eaten with caution either way. You could decrease the amount you're using and start taking fish oil pills, which doesn't harm you. But first i would recommend, that you cut out peanutbutter for a while and see if your skin gets better.

450 g of seet potato

450 g of sweet potato in one sitting? I doubt that is low GL

#17 Cpt Ludicrous

Cpt Ludicrous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

the 450g were split into several meals back then. link 6-7.

I'm gonna write a new post regarding new dietary changes in my life soon.

#18 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:53 AM

the 450g were split into several meals back then. link 6-7.

I'm gonna write a new post regarding new dietary changes in my life soon.

How much ghee were you consuming per day?

#19 Acnegoaway54

Acnegoaway54

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

nice. my diet is paleo too but i made one mistake. i have been eating popcorn under the impression that it was low glycemic but it is not. like other people said it is hard to keep the weight on but not if you eat nuts. 

here is what i eat right now: 

eggs/oatmeal

sausage

brazil nuts (800 calories)

sunflower seeds (750 calories)

chicken

vegetables

plaintain chips

turkey jerkey

anyone have any good snacks i can eat at school that are actually tasty. eating nuts and seeds all day tastes like crap. i need snack ideas

#20 clayjar

clayjar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Paleo seems to affect is the amount of sugar in the blood and increasesd insulin sensitivity. Acne is improved in many on this site with a Paleo diet. There is a theory of "skin diabetes", which seems to make sense.

Have you tried Chromium GTF? It's supposed to regulate insulin sensitivity, thereby improving the skin cell-insulin interaction. It has been a week since I started taking it and my skin has improved tremendously, rather quickly. And I have been eating carbs.
HOPE