vitamin a minocycline beta carotene

3 replies to this topic

#1 yotshane

yotshane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

I want to start taking 20,000 IU of beta carotene with my meals.
The bottle of Minocycling says you can take supplements just 2 hours before and after taking minocycline.
But is it still a risk to take beta carotene (which i hear is safe) with minocycline?

#2 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Code blue/rapid response, EKG's, teaching/learning,

movies, music, biking, walking, working with kids

Achievements

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

I would say probably not. You also wont see much results from beta carotene. From my understanding only a certain amount is converted to actual vitamin A and this takes place in the stomach. This conversion can also be affected by the liver which releases vitamin A based on need for it. So essentially a person reaches a plateau effect. Excess becomes stored in fat until the fat is burned which releases this excess.

Beta carotene is still safer than ordinary vitamin A and would like i said assume that it would be safe with minocycline. However, Zinc on the other hand can decrease antibiotics effectiveness.

#3 Bearishly

Bearishly

Food is medicine that tastes good

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

I want to start taking 20,000 IU of beta carotene with my meals.
The bottle of Minocycling says you can take supplements just 2 hours before and after taking minocycline.
But is it still a risk to take beta carotene (which i hear is safe) with minocycline?

The best and most convenient way I've found to get vitamin A (and vitamin D and omega-3's) is cod liver oil. That stuff has done wonders for me. Just make sure it has a decent vitamin A-vitamin D balance. For more info, go here.

#4 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

Beta carotene is a very important antioxidant which means it's anti-inflammatory and therefore beneficial for acne. Your body will make the vitamin A it needs, then use the rest for the antioxidant purposes.

And I don't know or care what you should or shouldn't take with minocycline, but I do know I wouldn't take any drug that meant I was to avoid nutrients unless it was for a very serious condition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users