Photo

The Effects Of Mineral Imbalance On Mineral Absorption, Insulin Resistance, And Acne

calcium magnesium chromium chromium picolinate zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#21 AnnaMoyer

AnnaMoyer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info.

I used to take 50mg of zinc gulconate as well, but I had to be really careful to take it with a lot (and I mean A LOT) of food otherwise I'd upchuck the entire meal. Gross. I'll have to start back on zinc with L-OptiZinc, because I think I'm zinc deficient (probably linked with my really bad sense of smell).

Glad to know I wasn't the only one having trouble finding just plain ol' Magnesium Aspartate. I was beginning to think I was just missing some obvious procurer. I might just get the K and Mg mix ones.

As for the Chromium, I'm still looking into it. For starters, I'd like to be able to lower the insulin resistance through diet (though I keep falling off the bandwagon there) and I want to look into Chromium v. Cinnamon v. Fenugreek etc. I've heard Chromium can cause one's blood sugar to drop too much if you aren't careful, and as someone who with a very small body mass, I'm afraid Chromium might be too strong. It's probably not a big deal, but I'll still do a little more research.

#22 Jal V

Jal V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the info.

I used to take 50mg of zinc gulconate as well, but I had to be really careful to take it with a lot (and I mean A LOT) of food otherwise I'd upchuck the entire meal. Gross. I'll have to start back on zinc with L-OptiZinc, because I think I'm zinc deficient (probably linked with my really bad sense of smell).

Glad to know I wasn't the only one having trouble finding just plain ol' Magnesium Aspartate. I was beginning to think I was just missing some obvious procurer. I might just get the K and Mg mix ones.

As for the Chromium, I'm still looking into it. For starters, I'd like to be able to lower the insulin resistance through diet (though I keep falling off the bandwagon there) and I want to look into Chromium v. Cinnamon v. Fenugreek etc. I've heard Chromium can cause one's blood sugar to drop too much if you aren't careful, and as someone who with a very small body mass, I'm afraid Chromium might be too strong. It's probably not a big deal, but I'll still do a little more research.

Chromium shouldn't drop your blood sugar too much. Chromium just makes insulin's receptors more sensitive, meaning it will take less insulin to do it's job. I'm pretty sure the only people that it affects blood sugar are people have extremely low blood sugar problems to begin with, because there body is over producing insulin for other reasons that don't deal with insulin sensitivity, in which case increased insulin sensitivity would just make the excess insulin being secreted stronger(which a severe hypoglycemic wouldn't want). Anyway, let me know if you find anything else in your research.

#23 Sum1killme

Sum1killme

Resurrected Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Im going to sart today taking 50mg of zinc,250mg of magnesium and 400 chromium of picolinate to see if i see any improvements. I read in a post u made that the chromium piolinate has side effects what are they? have you seen any major improvements so far?

#24 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Free-form calcium is "toxic" in excess, though I'm not very informed on the subject. I just know that overdosing on calcium isn't good for you.

Anyway, the topic seemed compelling and I hope this helps:

The epidermal growth factor precursor. A calcium-binding, beta-hydroxyasparagine containing modular protein present on the surface of platelets.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10091600

Epidermal growth factor and keratinocyte growth factor differentially regulate epidermal migration, growth, and differentiation
http://onlinelibrary...tomisedMessage=

"Only high transglutaminase 1 expression remains similar to that observed in cultures supplemented with epidermal growth factor alone. Our results show that the regulation of keratinocyte growth, migration and differentiation depends on the availability of these growth factors. Epidermal growth factor may play a dominant early role in wound healing by stimulating keratinocyte proliferation and migration while keratinocyte growth factor may play a role later in the repair process by stabilizing epidermal turnover and barrier function."

(More about transglutaminase: Transglutaminases: nature's biological glues. http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1223021/)

More has to be looked into the absorption potential of calcium with its buddy magnesium ("Magnesium: A Key to Calcium Absorption." http://www.mgwater.com/calmagab.shtml) to make a hypothesis, because I don't really know how it all shakes out in the body, what with its different forms and bioavailability. One thing is displayed through these articles though: minerals like calcium and magnesium (and probably other minerals for that matter, but focusing on these) may have a relationship with the proliferation and differentiation of healthy epidermal cells, shown by the relationship between presence of transglutaminase with epidermal growth factor, its precursor a calcium-binding protein.

My personal opinion? While understanding the underpinnings of mineral and vitamin deficiencies is good, really make sure your diet is supplying you with everything you need anyway. Of course there is no optimal diet per se, it's all n=1. Still, we've barely scratched the surface on the biochemistry of a lot of this stuff, especially as it relates to proper skin health. So just cover all your bases and, in the mean time, you can look into more specific minerals just to try it. Keep posting Jal V. Cute avatar Posted Image

Edited by Vanbelle, 14 April 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#25 Jal V

Jal V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the info!

Sum1killme--I've read many different online complaints of multiple people complaining of hair loss after a couple months use of even smaller amounts of chromium picolinate. There are other side effects that are possible of course, but i remember being so surprised but the amount of people complaining about hair loss that i decided I'd never take it again and preach against its use. lol

And sorry guys for not bein on in a while, got in some trouble with some mary jane, and since Indiana seems to think it's identical to meth, I've paid for it. haha

#26 Sum1killme

Sum1killme

Resurrected Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the info!

Sum1killme--I've read many different online complaints of multiple people complaining of hair loss after a couple months use of even smaller amounts of chromium picolinate. There are other side effects that are possible of course, but i remember being so surprised but the amount of people complaining about hair loss that i decided I'd never take it again and preach against its use. lol

And sorry guys for not bein on in a while, got in some trouble with some mary jane, and since Indiana seems to think it's identical to meth, I've paid for it. haha

Any updates on how your skin is, has it been workin for you or did you stop takin the supplements?

Edited by Sum1killme, 18 September 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#27 Sum1killme

Sum1killme

Resurrected Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yea this stopped workin for me I'm back to square one. Sigh.

#28 Sum1killme

Sum1killme

Resurrected Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

well even tho it stopped workin for a short period of time i still kept taking them and my acne has reduced significantly. Especially my oil production.Posted Image

#29 maggie64

maggie64

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Sum1killme, Jal V! Any progress? Are you still on it?

#30 Sum1killme

Sum1killme

Resurrected Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:17 AM

Sum1killme, Jal V! Any progress? Are you still on it?

I was almost 100% clear only a few pimples on one side so I decided to stop taking them for a few weeks to see if it made a difference and I broke out all over again. For some reason I didn't think about returning to this I forgot about what my routine was cause I was freaking out again. So I tried other shit that didn't work and made my face worse. But then a few days ago I remebered it was this that got me clear in the first place so I started again 3 days ago and so far this is defenantly reducing my acne. I'm just goin to stick with this for a few months and see what happens no more experimenting around with other shit.

Are you taking these supplements? How is your acne?

#31 maggie64

maggie64

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:30 AM

So what are you taking? Like i'd really appreciate step by step. I can't handle my face anymore. I just want to rip it off. Especially since i went from never having acne in my life to having pimples everywhere on my face within months.

I'm having knee surgery today..so not starting supplementing until tomorrow. But would like to have an exact regimen to follow. Thank you for your help.