Photo

The Effects Of Mineral Imbalance On Mineral Absorption, Insulin Resistance, And Acne

calcium magnesium chromium chromium picolinate zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 Jal V

Jal V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

I've come up with what I believe could be the overall cause of acne for just about everyone, and how to fix it as well. I believe this is legit because instead of searching "acne causes", "acne cures", etc, on google, I started searching other things I noticed about my body, such as anxiety, sweaty palms, and more, and came across just a few that were related to all of my symptoms. They were all minerals, not vitamins, which I already believed was the case due to the depletion of our soil.

It also makes sense that minerals are the main thing to worry about, considering that zinc and chromium are two minerals that many have found reduced their acne or even completely healed it. However, for those who didn't see complete remission of their acne, you may want to give it another go with some added changes to your lifestyle. I'm not even talking about taking 10 different supplements like some people, or giving up all sugar, soft drinks, meat, etc. Just a few changes that can really give you the advantage.

Here goes...

It's been no doubt that milk causes acne in a lot of people, and that the reduction of dairy products can reduce acne symptoms for most people. What most scientists don't understand, is why? Well, the reason they don't understand why is because everyone believes that calcium is a miracle mineral, that we need for strong bones, etc. Well, it is an awesome mineral, and it's the most abundant mineral in our bodies. However--Without enough magnesium, calcium basically becomes toxic. America is the biggest calcium consuming country in the world, yet there are countries that have many less cases of bone loss, fractures, and other cases of bone problems. The interesting thing to note here is that we consider a healthy ratio of calcium:magnesium to be 7:1, which gives a lot of room for calcium consumption. Well when going higher than that ratio, calcium becomes excessive, and actually leads to increased insulin secretion, which starts the cascade of insulin resistance. Looking back at my childhood all the way up until recently, I realize my calcium:magnesium ratio has been between 20:1 to 30:1. Sounds ridiculous, but hell. I was a milk lover. I never ate vegetables. Never ate fish. Never ate nuts. It wasn't unusual to drink a gallon of milk a day, including all the breads and cheeses I loved including in my diet. That gives way to some serious excess insulin. And it makes sense when I look back at it. Ive had acne on my chest, back, and face since I can remember. Back in the day, I knew I had a problem, as after each meal, it was guaranteed that my face would become excessively oily. Well, I found out that supplementing with magnesium reduces insulin resistance, even in non-diabetic people with normal magnesium levels! Here is the link to the summary of that study

http://www.fyiliving...lin-resistance/

Basically, people that had normal magnesium levels saw insulin resistance decrease by around 20% and people with low magnesium levels saw a decrease of 50%! The type of magnesium used in this study was Magnesium Aspartate Hydrochloride, which is a little more expensive, but very absorbable and bioavailable, and I've recently added it to my supplement list.

Here's the other interesting thing about mineral relations and absorptions--As i said, calcium is the most abundant mineral we consume( in my diet, was in excess of 2 grams!), and it's also believed that chromium is very beneficial to insulin, despite the small amount we require. Well, this paper http://www.traceelem...of Chromium.pdf written by David Watts, Ph. D., explains the relationships.

To summarize that paper, there are basically antagonists and synergysts for most vitamins and minerals.

Antagonists of Chromium--
-Calcium
-Iron
-Copper(Excess copper also causes zinc loss, and zinc is a synergyst to chromium)
-Manganese
-Vitamin D( Important because milk is fortified with it, which allows calcium to be absorbed and retained even better, resulting in worse magnesium deficiency.)

Synergysts of Chromium--
-Magnesium
-Zinc
-Iron(Some minerals are synergysts when consumed properly, but in extreme doses become antagonists)
-Manganese(Same as iron)

Based on this info, I believe there are 4 main things to concentrate on, that will hopefully bring amazing results for acne patients.

1. Reduce calcium as much as possible--Highest sources are milk, white breads, some cheeses. Drink water instead of milk, go for whole grain bread instead of white bread, and limit cheese consumption.

2. Supplement with zinc, to balance out the copper, as many acne and insulin resistant people are zinc deficient. I'd go with Zinc L-methionine or zinc picolinate. 30-60mg a day with those types should be plenty, as they are highly absorbable.

3. Supplement with Magnesium to help correct the calcium imbalances further. Find Magnesium Aspartate Hydrochloride, as that is the one used in the study that showed excellent results regarding insulin resistance. (I purchased a bottle of 180 capsules, 100mg each for less than 15 dollars). 400mg-800mg a day should be a good amount to shoot for.

4. Supplement with chromium, as it's extremely important for insulin, and most people are deficient in it. Unlike some who supplement 800-1000 mcg a day, I would stick with 200mcg a day, as that should be plenty given the synergysts you are taking along with it. Also, try to find the kind called Chromium GTF(Chromium Polynicotinate), as the side effects have been few and far between compared to chromium picolinate, and at a dosage as low as 200mcg a day, no side effects should be possible.

What I've outlined to you is the current regimen I began two days ago. So far I've noticed a very big reduction in oil production, my hands haven't been as cold and clammy as they usuallly are, and my sleep has improved greatly. I would recommend that you take your dose of chromium in the morning, and then spread the doses of zinc and magnesium throughout the day after that, such as (30mg zinc after lunch, 200 mg magnesium), (30mg zinc after supper, 200mg magnesium after supper) (200 mg magnesium before bed). Obviously you don't have to stick to that but that's how I've been doing it. Some people hate the idea of supplementing after each meal, but when it's only 2 pills, and it will hopefully help my skin, I could care less.

I want to get some other people on this bandwagon to see how effective it really will be! I'll be posting results every day, and hope to get some others to do the same!

#2 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

You dont need much chromium. I would advise to only take it if YOU KNOW you have an insulin resistance. Teens might benefit from this though be frickin careful.
"Chromium is LIKELY SAFE for most adults when used appropriately for 6 months or less."

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/chromium/

I do believe reading that too much chromium can lead to some serious side effects however im unable to find the webpage.

Again take only if you have insulin resistant related acne.

Magnesium though is something i would say is safer to take. Take a mixed complex of magnesium once daily (at night is okay as it can make you tired).

Western society has a terrible ratio of calcium to mag. So moderate your eating habits if need be. I avoid milk but use soy instead which has more calcium and D than regular milk. Calcium like vitamin E can go bad with too much consumption. Vitamin E can turn Pro oxidant and cause cell damage. I read somewhere that this is related to fats oxidizing quicker as well? Can't confirm.

Anyway nice write up.

#3 Bearishly

Bearishly

Food is medicine that tastes good

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

For more on magnesium, I just finished reading this article from the Weston A Price Foundation's site.

#4 Jal V

Jal V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Nice article, Weston Price is very knowledgable in my opinion and many others so it was an interesting read.

I also read something about the fast oxidizers and slow oxidizers, but after reading the symptoms and dietary aspects of what they were trying to claim, I realized it was nowhere close to making sense as to what I do and eat. But who knows, maybe that is a factor for some.

#5 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'd imagine people with "naturally" more magnesium in their diets in those studies (ie vegetables and fish) would almost certainly be eating less carbs, a much bigger factor relating to insulin.

Either way, eating a variety of nutrient dense foods will solve the problem.

#6 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

http://www.doctorsre.../articles3.html

I feel like this article is relevant to the subject. Most mineral supplements in capsule form are pretty much rocks, and the body has to work hard to get to the little amount of nutrition in it.

Liquid supplements for minerals could possibly be better though. I've been using magnesium oil (which is pretty much magnesium chloride in water) for the better part of two years. Spray it on your arms, and let it dry. Really benefited the quality of my sleep. Just bought some liquid zinc (which also contains copper, magnesium, and another mineral) to supplement every few days. I prefer eating two or three oysters every week for my dose of zinc, but I figure twice a week might help.

Making sure I get enough zinc and vitamin D has really helped my skin and health as a whole on top of the diet changes I've made.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary, 06 March 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#7 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:56 AM

http://www.doctorsre.../articles3.html

I feel like this article is relevant to the subject. Most mineral supplements in capsule form are pretty much rocks, and the body has to work hard to get to the little amount of nutrition in it.

Liquid supplements for minerals could possibly be better though. I've been using magnesium oil (which is pretty much magnesium chloride in water) for the better part of two years. Spray it on your arms, and let it dry. Really benefited the quality of my sleep. Just bought some liquid zinc (which also contains copper, magnesium, and another mineral) to supplement every few days. I prefer eating two or three oysters every week for my dose of zinc, but I figure twice a week might help.

Making sure I get enough zinc and vitamin D has really helped my skin and health as a whole on top of the diet changes I've made.

Problem with liquid vitamins is they can be messy, dont always last long, and taste flipping horrible. Its much more convient to pop a couple of pills and eat healthier if possible.

To get the best out of your vitamins take them accordingly, correctly. Zinc after meals, fat soluble vitamins with fats, water soluble with food to prevent them from being flushed out of the body to quickly. Take them at night too.

Doing your own research helps. For instance copper should be taken on a empty stomach or before a meal because it metabolizes in high acids of the stomach. All this is information people should be aware of.

What brand and form of Vitamin D are you using?

#8 Jal V

Jal V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

Day 3-

Woke up and looked in the mirror. Whereas my blackheads are usually big and have oil seeping from them, they were dried up today, and a lot smaller. Looks as if my pores are shrinking and drying up, which means my acne is probably gonna get worse before it gets better. However, I'm starting to understand that might be part of the process. My guess is within a month I'll be completely clear. The reason is if insulin resistance or hyperinsulinemia is the cause of acne, which is said to increase oil and increase skin shedding rate up to 5 times the normal person's rate, then once you become insulin sensitive again, your skin doesn't shed as fast, making it stronger, and it basically will feel like you have no oil at all, because your pores are blocked and oil production is slowing, making it hard for oil to come out. So, once your skin reaches it's normal cycle and finally sheds the skin layer, most of your blocked pores should be out by then allowing small amounts of oil to easily moisturize the face. Just my opinion. Anyway, It's going good so far. Hopin for the best.

#9 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

It requires 45 molecules of magnesium to metabolize 1 molecule of sugar. Make sense why so many Americans are deficient? And yes, soil depletion is another important factor

Epsom salt baths are an easy/cheap/relaxing way of absorbing magnesium through the skin. Very calming/good acne treatment, imo.

#10 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

It requires 45 molecules of magnesium to metabolize 1 molecule of sugar. Make sense why so many Americans are deficient? And yes, soil depletion is another important factor

Epsom salt baths are an easy/cheap/relaxing way of absorbing magnesium through the skin. Very calming/good acne treatment, imo.

Interesting. I eat lots of empty carbs throughout the day and some are high in sugar. And of course I just cant stop at 1 cookie I have to have a dozen and that is no exaggeration. I ate 12 chocolate chip cookies in a row tonight-great snack.

I added magnesium to my supps as my zinc intake was affect my mag. Good to hear that it helps with sugar metabolism.

#11 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

ffs just take metformin if you care so much about your insulin. Otherwise, just eat what you want, and use a stack to fight the acne. There is no single cure or method to prevent acne - I know everyone says that following a proper regimen will clear you and prevent future acne, but that's a blatant lie. All companies use BP and other anti-bacterials for their acne products. Same old, even DKR. Just a better version than the other companies. But the product which works overral to treat and prevent acne is Zinc Pyrithione. Honestly, it's a godsend for us acne sufferers. It slows down keratinization, it kills bacteria FAST, it reduces inflammation, it suppresses sebum production, it inhibits 5ar1, it speeds up healing, awesome stuff.

But you cant find zinc pyrithione lol, it's used in shampoos. So... use the Shampoo on your Face! haha, it does work.

#12 Jal V

Jal V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Interesting about the magnesium molecules required for sugar.

K3tchup-I do the same thing...I can't grab a bag of chips and just eat a few...I'll sit down and eat 5 or 6 servings from the bag before I'm satisfied. It's pathetic. I think being a runner for so many years really fucked me, since I could get away with eating whatever I wanted and not gain weight. Needless to say, my skin was never good though.

RedPatrick-The point is, if we have acne it's due to something on the inside that isn't going quite right. I've been on a mission for a while to figure out what the hell it is and how to fix it, because I'll be attacking other health issues when I do find out what's wrong. I use water to shower with in the morning and dove for men sensitive body wash in the evening. Your skin doesn't need certain products to help it right, I want to figure out what's really going on.

#13 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

ffs just take metformin if you care so much about your insulin. Otherwise, just eat what you want, and use a stack to fight the acne.

No. Eat right the way humans are meant to. If we hadn't invented ways to add sugar to food, we'd consume about 15-20 grams of sugar per day. That's what our body's systems are meant to deal with. Not the 70 they say the average American consumes today. Which I bet is way lower than many consume considering there's 39g from HFCS in one can of coke.

#14 Jal V

Jal V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

Day 4-Feeling more energetic. Skin looking better. Anxiety continues to improve as well. Hoping this continues as I believe it will. Still taking 200mg Magnesium with each meal, but upped the chromium to 400mcg a day instead of 200mcg as I read more and more about it and the safety of Chromium Polynicotinate. Still taking 30mg-60mg a day of L-OptiZinc (just depends, it's completely random). Need some people to try this with me!

#15 Jal V

Jal V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Day 5-Previous acne is gone, but some of the pores that were blocked but not inflamed seem to be coming out. I'm thinking these will be gone and looking great in a couple of days. Still minimal oil production, which is great success compared to what I usually deal with.

#16 lieko

lieko

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

This is interesting I was reading another topic where he mentioned about the insulin resistance, instead of the supplements you used, he used cinnamon which is supposed to decrease insulin resistance. He even said that he now can eat pizzas, mcdonalds, etc without new pimples. Did you try to test yourself if you would get acne when eating a high carb meal with the supplements you mentioned?

http://www.acne.org/...-can-cure-acne/

Edited by lieko, 10 March 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#17 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

This is interesting I was reading another topic where he mentioned about the insulin resistance, instead of the supplements you used, he used cinnamon which is supposed to decrease insulin resistance.

Many nutrients assist with glucose metabolism in a variety of ways as well as helping all your other body functions. That's why you eat a nutrient rich diet.

#18 Jal V

Jal V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

This is interesting I was reading another topic where he mentioned about the insulin resistance, instead of the supplements you used, he used cinnamon which is supposed to decrease insulin resistance. He even said that he now can eat pizzas, mcdonalds, etc without new pimples. Did you try to test yourself if you would get acne when eating a high carb meal with the supplements you mentioned?

http://www.acne.org/...-can-cure-acne/

This is interesting I was reading another topic where he mentioned about the insulin resistance, instead of the supplements you used, he used cinnamon which is supposed to decrease insulin resistance.

Yes, Cinnamon has been shown in studies to be very useful against that, but it's an herb, not an essential mineral. Herbs were used more to treat temporary illnesses and symptoms. If you're looking for something long term, a few dietary changes may be needed, but minerals are by far the most important thing to worry about.

Many nutrients assist with glucose metabolism in a variety of ways as well as helping all your other body functions. That's why you eat a nutrient rich diet.

Vitamins are required in much smaller amounts, and deficiencies in vitamins are much rarer due to the fortifying of most foods with vitamins. Thanks to stomach acid and other digestive properties, our bodies can utilize foods for lots of different things. However, when it comes to minerals, our bodies truly rely on balances to maintain optimal health. With sugar and calcium, some of our most important minerals become deficient, including magnesium, chromium, and zinc, which is where the focus of this post lies. Vitamins only alleviate symptoms at extreme doses, where as minerals show great results at just 200 or 300% of the RDA, showing that rather than coating the symptoms, minerals are probably correcting deficiencies.

And yes, I've been eating fast food literally twice a day and have had no new acne or inflammation, just waiting on my blackheads to fall out..lol

#19 AnnaMoyer

AnnaMoyer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

@Jal V: Any updates? I'm curious to know if this is still working for you, as I may try it myself. It sounds plausible and I think a majority of my break outs are due to blood sugar spikes.

Also, what brand of Magnesium Aspertate do you use? I can only seem to find it paired with Potassium and I'd rather not supplement both. Have you had any stomach upsets taking either the Mag or the Zinc? I know that many Mag compounds can have laxative effects and I've had trouble with zinc supplements.

#20 Jal V

Jal V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

@Jal V: Any updates? I'm curious to know if this is still working for you, as I may try it myself. It sounds plausible and I think a majority of my break outs are due to blood sugar spikes.

Also, what brand of Magnesium Aspertate do you use? I can only seem to find it paired with Potassium and I'd rather not supplement both. Have you had any stomach upsets taking either the Mag or the Zinc? I know that many Mag compounds can have laxative effects and I've had trouble with zinc supplements.

Sorry, I quit updating because I stopped supplementing for a few days as I had a blood test set up and didn't want minerals to interfere with the results.

Anyway, I did continue to see results from it, as these supplements reduced oil secretion by means of reducing the amount of insulin needed for each meal.

The Magnesium Aspartate Hydrochloride, specifically because the study I found using that form increased insulin sensitivity by 20 some percent in people who were non-obese and healthy, and by 50 percent in people that were magnesium deficient. The one I'm using also has potassium in it, but it's 4% of the daily value so I didn't worry about it too much, and I couldn't find an Aspartate Hydrochloride that didn't contain potassium. Not sure if it makes a difference but who knows. The magnesium hasn't given me any laxative effects and it's supposed to be one of the best tolerated magnesium forms.

The Zinc I take is L-OptiZinc, and I've found that to be extremely tolerable. I used to take 50mg zinc gluconate with a meal and could feel it, and now I can take 30-60mg of L-OptiZinc before I go to bed and not feel anything negative from it.

I have changed the times I take the supplements though, as I found that due to magnesium's relaxing effect, I would get tired if i took too big of a dose at a time. I did some research to find that zinc and magnesium are both great sleep aids, so my schedule has been like this lately:::

After breakfast--200 mcg Chromium Polynicotinate

After lunch--200 mcg Chromium Polynicotinate

After Supper--Nothing, unless I've had a really, really bad day(diet-wise), in which case I'll take another 200mcg Chromium

30 minutes before bed--30mg L-OptiZinc and 300mg Magnesium

Honestly I've had the best sleep of my life lately. I've been having dreams and remembering them for the first time in a long time. Feel really refreshed in the morning, so I feel that the good sleep probably helps the skin as well.

I noticed you didn't mention anything about the chromium in your post, but I can say that I feel like Chromium has been really effective, possibly more so than the other two supplements.

My reasoning for that is because chromium pretty much instantaneously strengthens the sensitivity of insulin, whereas Magnesium is probably going to take longer to have an effect due to the large build up of Calcium most of us probably have. Just my opinion though.

Anyway, I've done a lot of research on the forms and stuff to make sure I'm getting the most effective and absorbed forms, and the chromium and zinc aren't expensive at all, although the magnesium can be a little pricey.

Hope you decide to try it! If you have any questions just let me know!