flakes dry aha alpha hydroxy acid

5 replies to this topic

#1 AcneeHater

AcneeHater

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 23
About Me
  • Interests:eating, biking, snowboarding, long walks around the beach(sounds corny but really gets my mind clear; you should try it),...

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

K so i sorta temporarly stopped using jojoba oil cause i felt that it would cause me to breakout sometimes so im not 100% forsure yet. Prob get back on it later in the future. But right now, ive stopped using it, ive been getting flakes since. So i need some help to resolve this problem. Anyone have any tips? Some day i would put moisturiser twice. Sorta helps but when i have those days that i would laugh all day i would start getting flakes again. :/

Oh btw i almost forgot to note. I do use aha+ every third day

#2 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm of mind that flakes and dryness should be a priority over any regimen. If you experience flaking, a good protocol is to back off the regimen for 3 mornings and nights--only washing and moisturizing--then easing yourself back in.

However, The Regimen is different. The protocol Dan prescribes for The Regimen is to continue with BP and ride out the dryness, using generous moisturizer and jojoba oil in an attempt to counteract it.

For this reason, I would continue with the jojoba oil and moisturizer. You have very little to worry about jojoba oil breaking you out. Your signature says you do 1 pump + 3 drops jojoba, let it dry and repeat. I would continue with this, but do 1 pump + 5 drops jojoba at night (and repeat). Also, I would recommend stopping the AHA usage for the next 3 weeks.

Good luck.

#3 AcneeHater

AcneeHater

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:eating, biking, snowboarding, long walks around the beach(sounds corny but really gets my mind clear; you should try it),...

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

k well ive been on this regimen for 6 weeks now, do u still recommmend stop aha because aha does help

#4 nycqueen

nycqueen

Acne Soldier

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me
  • Interests:working out, sports fanatic, education and higher learning, joking around, yoga, running, concerts, dancing, singing, family, friends, happiness

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'd say continue using jojoba oil until the "peeling" effect subsides... According to many veteran users of the regimen, the peeling effect begins to wear off around 4 to 6 months into the regimen.. Honestly, I had the same exact worry as you about jojoba oil, as it has broken me out in the past, or at least that's what I thought... But I now believe that isn't the case... I incorporated jojoba oil about three weeks into the regimen and haven't looked back... At first I would apply and it kind of just sat on top of my skin, but after consistent use, my skin drinks the stuff up... It may be that the breakouts you were experiencing are just dormant breakouts that were taking their time coming to the surface which had nothing to do with using jojoba oil... I think the effects of BP do a number on your skin and only heavy moisturizing will combat the flakiness... Attempting to moisturize without it may just caused irritation (or at least from my experience)... Try sticking with the jojoba oil... I think it just takes time to adjust to using it, but your skin will thank you for it... Took about a month or so for my skin to absorb the jojoba oil well enough that now I really don't walk around too shiny but nicely moisturized... Trial and error my friend... :)

#5 LizzLemon

LizzLemon

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

i've had the same problem during many phases of acclimation to the regimen - especially around my nose, mouth and chin. i definitely agree with the other people - cut back on AHA - use it once a week, max, until you've got the dryness and flaking under control. and make sure you are using no more than a peanut-sized amount. oh and drink tons of water!

...here's a couple alterations i've made to the regimen that work best for me:
only wash your face with the cleanser at night. in the morning just splash with warm water.
try a different moisturizer if dan's doesn't seem to work. cetaphil dry sensitive skin lotion totally saved my flaky, dry skin!

best of luck!

#6 AcneeHater

AcneeHater

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Okay. Ill try to work something out. Prob try something different on different weeks and see what works best without alternatin the regimen too much. Thanks for the advice guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users