Photo

Almost 30, Still Need Help

adult acne acnefree vitamins over the counter vitamin a

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 cob2048

cob2048

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi,

If anything I ask has been answered already, which I'm sure it has, would someone mind linking the previous post, so I don't waste your time in having you answer it again?

I'm almost 30, and still pop pimples nearly everyday. My skin isn't awful and for the most part is under control, but I still don't have the greatest skin for a lot of people my age, especially when looked at real closely.

Throughout the years I've tried prescribed topical stuff, and for the last six years I've been using the Acnefree 3-step over the counter topical. I felt recently that perhaps it was too much benzoyl peroxide, so I've only been using step 1(cleanser) and step 3(lotion.) It seems to work, but not like it should considering I'm using something.

I drink a lot of water, have cut down on juice, sugars, dairy, and take vitamin a, e, and b complex as a supplement, as well as eat fruits and vegetables.

Is there anything someone with a similar issue could suggest? I'm open to anything...something instead of Acnefree, just something that may work better...

Thanks for your time...

#2 severity

severity

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

I definitely suggest stopping BP. When I used it it exacerbated my condition three-fold. It wasn't good joo joo, at all. What I do recommend is Johnson and Johnson Gentle Cleansing Wash. That's some good ol' stuff! It's really gentle and soap-free, too. I use it all the time.

#3 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:47 AM

I've been taking spirulina for a while (on the recommendation of a few members here and also through reading the Nutrition and Holistic board) and I think it helps. Also, I take Evening Primrose Oil (3g) daily.

Have you thought about trialling with an elimination of gluten? I don't eat gluten any more (its definitely difficult as a gluten free vegan!) and whilst I haven't been breakout free, whatever spots I do get are a lot less aggravated and red.

#4 cob2048

cob2048

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

What's a good BP free acne cleasner/product besides something basic like Johnson and Johnson? I have sensitive skin and would need something that prevents acne but doesn't use as much BP. I used to use Johnson and Johnson and that basic over the counter soap didn't do the job.

I may try to eliminate the amount of wheat bread I eat.

#5 LizzLemon

LizzLemon

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

if you don't want to go the BP route anymore, i've heard that many people have had success with Paula's Choice - particularly the BHA products.

But one question... have you tried *not* popping your pimples for at least two weeks? i know it feels super gross because no one likes to let a zit to fester, but (trust me) it's really worth testing out. also, if you decide to do this, i would suggest a basic cleanser that does not have soap or exfoliating grains and a light topical, whether than is BP or SA or anything of the sort.

#6 PatrickParker

PatrickParker

OTC hater

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:11 AM

All of those creams and cleansers just wreak havoc on your skin's acid mantle. Cosmetic companies are just like drug dealers making you come back for stronger stuff once the product they sold you stops working. Its terrible because the same companies also sell you the hair product, tooth paste, and foods that can cause acne so theyre getting paid at both ends.

#7 cob2048

cob2048

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

A lot of these places have three-step things. I'm looking for something with two, or even one. It seems like BP is a popular ingrediant. Maybe i just need to face that I will never have a million dollar complexion, as I see on this board I'm not alone, many even have it worse, or for longer. Or I may just need to go to a dermatologist, I haven't been to one in a long time. It just seems like at almost 30, with a decent diet and vitamin intake, I could find something over the counter that works...

#8 tritonxiv

tritonxiv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

BP destroyed my skin. YMMV.

I'm only a bit younger than you, and I've found that the only thing that really helped my skin texture (which has been terrible since high school) is:

Stopping all forms of abrasive contact. No popping!!!!! =[

Don't wash your face other than the following. Do this once a day at the most!:

No washcloths, no soap. Just soak your face in warm (not hot) water for 15 minutes or hop in the shower and fingertip massage in tiny circles until you feel the dead skin gently lifting from your face. (It may take a few minutes of massage) Stop when you can feel no more skin lifting off. Do not use much pressure, just gentle motions).After that immediately moisturize.

The first few weeks your skin will feel weird and flakey, but after that it normalizes and looks MUCH better!

Also...

Facial excercise! I posted another topic on this... but it has worked wonders for my overall complexion! (Do it before bed)

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/311009-facial-exercise/page__p__3215249#entry3215249

#9 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

I've got Paula's Choice BHA and its good stuff - expensive if you're in Europe for shipping but the product lasts ages and definitely calms down my inflamed spots overnight. Would definitely recommend.