Photo

How The "caveman" Regimen Is Working For Me And Some Personal Theories.

caveman regimen sugar make-up

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 fennecer

fennecer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Hello, community. I created an account to promote the caveman regimen (not washing your face or using products of any kind on it.) After about three weeks my acne has reduced quite a bit and the scars were less noticeable. I have two or three theories as to why this regimen works (at least for me.)

1.) After a while I noticed a buildup of dry, dead skin on my face, particularly around my nose. However, the only time this dry skin was noticeable was if I scratched at it. I believe that dry skin getting into pores and causing acne is a myth. Think about it, when you were younger your body should condition itself to having that dry skin on its face. The body isnt naturally self-destructive. It's not going to cause a bunch of inflammation with its own shedding of its skin cells. What if this build-up is supposed to act as a sort of make-up that makes the skin look smoother and at the same time stops harmful bacteria and substances that would cause acne from coming into contact with your pores? Exfoliating it off would only make your skin susceptible to all the acne-causing substances throughout the world.

2.) One of the main ideas behind the caveman regimen is that the products were using actually causes acne. Aside from harsh chemicals causing their own inflammatory response, I have another theory as to why this might be true. If you're a gazelle in the wild, and a cheetah is coming at you, you're not just going to stand there. You're going to run like hell. Well, if you're "acne-causing bacteria" why would you stay in the same place when a cocktail of chemicals designed to kill you is invading the skin? The logical "fight or flight" response of organisms kicks in and the bacteria is going to run like hell and spread to other areas of the skin. A bitch far-fetched, im sure, but something worth thinking about.

Anyways, that's all I have to say. My skin is healing, and I believe the dead skin is a good thing. My face doesnt overproduce oil. The only time it did that was when I constantly exfoliated. As an experiment yesterday, I got rid of all the dry skin that I call a natural make-up with an exfoliant and my skin looked horrible even 8 hours after I did it.

As another experiment, I had multiple sugar binges throughout the three weeks and I found that I'd get new breakouts the next day. I know a lot of people say "durrhurr it was probly underneath the skin for weeks waiting to come out. nuffin 2 do wiff sugar." Yeeeah.. Well I dont believe that. Maybe some kind of acne can be under the skin for weeks, but our bodies werent designed for that kind of slow response. If it were, we'd have been picked off in the evolution arms race.

Edited by fennecer, 04 March 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#2 Pinklady89

Pinklady89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

Great to hear im not alone trying this caveman method! Im on day 3.... My face is very dry and flaky!! I was actually kind of tempted today to wash and exolifate, but i resisted so far!
Idk if the flakiness is normal at this stage?
Any tips wld be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks fir addressing this subject😃

#3 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hmm... I dunno. I've never tried the caveman method (I wear makeup so I really can't do this) but when I exfoliate it makes my skin look soooo beautiful for days after. Almost like baby skin. I've never experienced it making it look horrible unless I overdid to the point of irritation (I only exfoliate maybe 1-2 nights per week).

I am on an all natural regimen though, so maybe that has something to do with it. A lot of commercial exfoliaters are full of chemicals. I now use baking soda. For washing I use organic oils and raw honey. When I occasionally get a spot I use tea tree oil. Works great!

I'm glad this is working for you though...but the thought of all that dead skin on my face. I just couldn't deal with that.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

#4 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

Hmm... I dunno. I've never tried the caveman method (I wear makeup so I really can't do this) but when I exfoliate it makes my skin look soooo beautiful for days after. Almost like baby skin. I've never experienced it making it look horrible unless I overdid to the point of irritation (I only exfoliate maybe 1-2 nights per week).

I am on an all natural regimen though, so maybe that has something to do with it. A lot of commercial exfoliaters are full of chemicals. I now use baking soda. For washing I use organic oils and raw honey. When I occasionally get a spot I use tea tree oil. Works great!

I'm glad this is working for you though...but the thought of all that dead skin on my face. I just couldn't deal with that.

Yeah. I don't know why you guys go around with this dead skin mask on your face. That doesn't do any thing. Stop using cleansers and harmful topicals like BP and don't scrub your skin, sure. But there is no reason to not wash your face with water or oil and do some mild exfoliation. I wipe my face with a wet washcloth every morning and oil cleanse when I have makeup to remove. I've been doing that for a couple of years now.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#5 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

It's great, isn't it? I'm still trying to figure out what exact oils/combinations of oils to use. At first I did a 30/70 ratio of castor to grapeseed. But it didn't seem like it was fully clearing my pores. So now I'm doing a 50/50 mix with a few drops of lavender oil. Seems to be working about the same, I can't really tell.

So true about the BP. I wish I hadn't destroyed my skin with that stuff for years and years. I tried exfoliating with baking soda another time back then and thought it was horrible because of how badly it irritated me, but I know now it was just reacting with the BP I was putting on there twice per day. Now it doesn't irritate me at all.

edit sorry for thread hijack.

Edited by dejaclairevoyant, 18 May 2012 - 08:34 AM.

Morning:

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Evening:

#6 Supbro93

Supbro93

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Yeah. I don't know why you guys go around with this dead skin mask on your face. That doesn't do any thing. Stop using cleansers and harmful topicals like BP and don't scrub your skin, sure. But there is no reason to not wash your face with water or oil and do some mild exfoliation. I wipe my face with a wet washcloth every morning and oil cleanse when I have makeup to remove. I've been doing that for a couple of years now.

Well the dead skin layer is devoloping for a reason, so it does do something.The body doesn't just do stuff without a purpose. Many people has stated that the dead skin is PROTECTING the layer underneath while it heals and the skin returns to nromal after a couple of months, i've seen you on alot of these caveman regimen posts and you are very negative to the whole thing, which i don't know why. The caveman regimen is very good for some people and not that good for others, a big percentage on this forums and people generally having acne has been doing this cycle: 1. Get normal hormonal pimples, very mild, however they get annoyed by it and buy creams to deal with it. 2. Things get worse and has to include more chemicals, exfoliation, stronger %bp, cleansers, toners etc. 3. Even worse, find other ways like accutane, diets etc. Diets is also a big factor for SOME while not at all for others.

So it's not hard to understand that chemicals for some people is doing more damage than good. However I know this regimen is hard to do for girls because of makeup and stuff, so i understand that some ignorent people can look at this regimen as something negatively because they can't do it themselves. No offence

#7 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

Well the dead skin layer is devoloping for a reason, so it does do something.The body doesn't just do stuff without a purpose. Many people has stated that the dead skin is PROTECTING the layer underneath while it heals and the skin returns to nromal after a couple of months, i've seen you on alot of these caveman regimen posts and you are very negative to the whole thing, which i don't know why. The caveman regimen is very good for some people and not that good for others, a big percentage on this forums and people generally having acne has been doing this cycle: 1. Get normal hormonal pimples, very mild, however they get annoyed by it and buy creams to deal with it. 2. Things get worse and has to include more chemicals, exfoliation, stronger %bp, cleansers, toners etc. 3. Even worse, find other ways like accutane, diets etc. Diets is also a big factor for SOME while not at all for others.

So it's not hard to understand that chemicals for some people is doing more damage than good. However I know this regimen is hard to do for girls because of makeup and stuff, so i understand that some ignorent people can look at this regimen as something negatively because they can't do it themselves. No offence

Basically this, your skin will become very flaky and dry, but this is a good sign. Do not exfoliate that dead skin layer right away, I would leave it there for a good 7 days or so, it is like dead scar tissue. Then you will need to start wash/exfoliating daily. I would recommend using oatmeal to wash with. It is very gentle and will remove the dead skin, no cloth needed. Simply take a handful of oatmeal place it in a small bowl, add hot water and let it sit for a good 5 minutes. Then wet your face and wash it with the oatmeal.

And yes, I recommend this for everyone. The oil cleansing might work, but I have met too many people that said it broke them out, it's a risk. I have yet to meet anyone that said oatmeal has broke them out.

#8 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

To each their own, putting oatmeal on my face would basically kill me, I'm deathly intolerant to gluten I can't even touch the stuff without getting sick. :( Glad it works for you though.

Morning:

Evening:

#9 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

To each their own, putting oatmeal on my face would basically kill me, I'm deathly intolerant to gluten I can't even touch the stuff without getting sick. Posted Image Glad it works for you though.

oatmeal doesn't have gluten naturally, it just depends on if it comes into contact with other gluten filled grains. I use bob's red mill gluten free rolled oats.

#10 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

Interesting. I will think about trying it, but the idea of oatmeal is so repulsive to me because of the reactions I've had, I don't know if I could get over it mentally!

Morning:

Evening: