Photo

Completely Given Up

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 hayleyx90

hayleyx90

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hi guys,
I've been looking at the forums and have decided to join because I am really at my wits end. I feel absolutely hopeless, my face hurts from red bumps underneath the skin, and I'm dreading leaving the house for uni. I just can't concentrate on anything and feel like I want to cry all the time, my acne is really really getting me down.
I dont know what else to do. I feel like Ive tried being healthy, tried every single thing my doctor has prescribed and theres nothing left.

I hate having acne, its literally ruined my life

#2 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

you and me both...im exhausted from it all

#3 Fischer1

Fischer1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

i feel your pain

#4 KHRESHEH

KHRESHEH

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

All of us are extremely tired !! , Hang on there my friend......

#5 jjn

jjn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

Hayleyx

Are you male or female?

What medications has your derm prescribed?

Have you tried Dan's BP Regimen?

I know it is hard. Just hang in there.

Edited by jjn, 05 March 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#6 hayleyx90

hayleyx90

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

nice to know we arent all alone:)

jjn, I'm female. My doc has given me every single antibiotic out there. At the moment I'm on doxy and duac. I've had acne for about 4 years, started when I was 17 and I'm 21 now. Before then, I would get about 1 spot a month! I haven't tried Dan's regimen yet, I have made an appointment with the doctor this weekend so hopefully will get something else prescribed.
I feel like I'm stressing so much and its not helping my skin at all but I can't help it. is it even worth going to the doctor again?! dont know if theres much else they can do for me..

#7 severity

severity

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

There's always hope, my dear friend. Are you sure you've exhausted all of your options? Have you tried Accutane yet? With the plethora of drugs, topicals, and treatments on the market, it's hard to believe you've tried everything. I'm extremely sorry you're feelings this way. It's definitely a hellish reality having to deal with something as relentless as acne, especially in a society where your looks are judged so meticulously by others. Even as a guy, I spent many nights crying about the acne. I remember a cyst burst on my face one night, the blood trickeling down my face (sorry for the image). I walked outside and just screamed into the night sky, waving my fist and cursing the day I was born. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have acted like that had I not been as shallow as I was, because I was one shallow dude when I experienced my first breakout. I was pretty bad.

Anywho, we're here for you. The majority of us have experienced your pain in some way or another, so there's going to be a lot of empathy.

#8 jjn

jjn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

jjn, I'm female. My doc has given me every single antibiotic out there. At the moment I'm on doxy and duac. I've had acne for about 4 years, started when I was 17 and I'm 21 now. Before then, I would get about 1 spot a month! I haven't tried Dan's regimen yet, I have made an appointment with the doctor this weekend so hopefully will get something else prescribed.
I feel like I'm stressing so much and its not helping my skin at all but I can't help it. is it even worth going to the doctor again?! dont know if theres much else they can do for me..

If antibiotics aren't working for you, it might be time to think about accutane or maybe up your dose of the antibiotics. Discuss it with your derm.

I suffered from terrible cystic acne for over 10 years and I have some pretty bad scarring from it. I currently take Doxy. I first took 2 pills a day and then after 3 or 4 months I went to 1 pill a day. My skin looks much better now. I also use DAN's cream to get rid of some of the bumps on my forehead and to help fade out some of the scarring and dark spots.

This may seem like a weird question but what time do you go to sleep? Going too sleep late always caused my skin to breakout much worse then it usually did.

#9 hayleyx90

hayleyx90

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

There's always hope, my dear friend. Are you sure you've exhausted all of your options? Have you tried Accutane yet? With the plethora of drugs, topicals, and treatments on the market, it's hard to believe you've tried everything. I'm extremely sorry you're feelings this way. It's definitely a hellish reality having to deal with something as relentless as acne, especially in a society where your looks are judged so meticulously by others. Even as a guy, I spent many nights crying about the acne. I remember a cyst burst on my face one night, the blood trickeling down my face (sorry for the image). I walked outside and just screamed into the night sky, waving my fist and cursing the day I was born. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have acted like that had I not been as shallow as I was, because I was one shallow dude when I experienced my first breakout. I was pretty bad.

Anywho, we're here for you. The majority of us have experienced your pain in some way or another, so there's going to be a lot of empathy.

i haven't tried accutane as my doctor says my acne isn't severe enough. It's hard to be referred to a dermatologist in the UK. sorry to hear about your experience:( I'm the same though, acne's definitely changed me, I used to be obsessed with my makeup, making sure I looked perfect everyday, but when I got acne I realized that other things are so much more important. I just hope its something that I'll grow out of...my mum had acne for about a year in her late twenties and now shes got beautiful skin, I've had acne for about 3-4 years and am 21....so still praying and hoping!! x

If antibiotics aren't working for you, it might be time to think about accutane or maybe up your dose of the antibiotics. Discuss it with your derm.

I suffered from terrible cystic acne for over 10 years and I have some pretty bad scarring from it. I currently take Doxy. I first took 2 pills a day and then after 3 or 4 months I went to 1 pill a day. My skin looks much better now. I also use DAN's cream to get rid of some of the bumps on my forehead and to help fade out some of the scarring and dark spots.

This may seem like a weird question but what time do you go to sleep? Going too sleep late always caused my skin to breakout much worse then it usually did.

How long have you been on doxy so far? so glad its helping you. Might have to try Dan's cream, I have olive skin so have a lot more dark marks on my face. yeah i thought about the sleeping thing too, I've started going to bed early and it has helped my acne. My acne started when i first moved out and lived at university. I was sleeping about 4 hours a night, had a horrible diet so naturally my skin turned horrific. Since then, I've got a good routine going, but acne still remains!

Its times like this when I really despise having acne...I have a presentation at uni tomorrow and do not want to face everyone with my awful skin! to make it worse the girls in my group are so gorgeous!

#10 PaulH85

PaulH85

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

i haven't tried accutane as my doctor says my acne isn't severe enough. It's hard to be referred to a dermatologist in the UK. sorry to hear about your experience:( I'm the same though, acne's definitely changed me, I used to be obsessed with my makeup, making sure I looked perfect everyday, but when I got acne I realized that other things are so much more important. I just hope its something that I'll grow out of...my mum had acne for about a year in her late twenties and now shes got beautiful skin, I've had acne for about 3-4 years and am 21....so still praying and hoping!! x

Just over a year ago, I went back to my doctor for the first time in ages. I'd taken antibiotics on and off from the age of 15 until I was about 22. I just got sick of it. I'd tried all sorts and nothing really made much difference in the long run. I was fed up of taking pills and stuff so I just left it alone. As a result, my skin was crap from then until I was 24 but I'd given up hope of clearing it and didn't have the energy to deal with it. I guess I suffered through it instead. But at the start of last year, I decided I wanted to have one last crack at fixing it so I went back to my doctor. I did several months on Lymecycline (again), followed by a short break and then a new course of Doxycycline (again). The breakout during the gap between the two was horrendous and I shut myself away for about a month. I pleaded with my doctor to let me see a dermatologist but her refused to give me a referral on the basis that my acne wasn't severe or cystic. I totally hit a brick wall and it seemed like there would never be any hope of me getting Accutane. Clutching at straws out of sheer desperation, I went and got an intolerance test and then adjusted my diet accordingly. That was last November. Fast-forward to today and, between the Doxy which I'm currently tapering off and only taking once a week, the diet changes, my supplement intake, and breaking the habit of picking my skin, I'm now 99% clear.

If someone had come to me this time last year and told me that I'd be clear in roughly eleven months time, there is no way I would have believed them. For so long, my acne had been an ongoing thing; ever-changing, breaking out daily, week after week, year after year. I couldn't handle it and it quite literally took over half my life. It's cost me so much over the last thirteen years because I just wasn't strong enough to battle on and enjoy my life regardless. Despite all that, it turns out that there was hope, there was light at the end of the tunnel, and it was possible to clear my acne. I suppose what I'm saying is, don't give up and don't let it win!

Its times like this when I really despise having acne...I have a presentation at uni tomorrow and do not want to face everyone with my awful skin! to make it worse the girls in my group are so gorgeous!

Aww, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. There's more to you than your skin. There's so much more to all of us. Your acne doesn't define you at all so try your best not to let it. For all you know, those girls see you in the exact same way you see them. Fact is, other people don't focus on our skin in the way we do. Not only that, it doesn't take away your personality, your positive traits, or indeed your beauty, inside and out.

Posted Image

#11 hayleyx90

hayleyx90

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Just over a year ago, I went back to my doctor for the first time in ages. I'd taken antibiotics on and off from the age of 15 until I was about 22. I just got sick of it. I'd tried all sorts and nothing really made much difference in the long run. I was fed up of taking pills and stuff so I just left it alone. As a result, my skin was crap from then until I was 24 but I'd given up hope of clearing it and didn't have the energy to deal with it. I guess I suffered through it instead. But at the start of last year, I decided I wanted to have one last crack at fixing it so I went back to my doctor. I did several months on Lymecycline (again), followed by a short break and then a new course of Doxycycline (again). The breakout during the gap between the two was horrendous and I shut myself away for about a month. I pleaded with my doctor to let me see a dermatologist but her refused to give me a referral on the basis that my acne wasn't severe or cystic. I totally hit a brick wall and it seemed like there would never be any hope of me getting Accutane. Clutching at straws out of sheer desperation, I went and got an intolerance test and then adjusted my diet accordingly. That was last November. Fast-forward to today and, between the Doxy which I'm currently tapering off and only taking once a week, the diet changes, my supplement intake, and breaking the habit of picking my skin, I'm now 99% clear.

If someone had come to me this time last year and told me that I'd be clear in roughly eleven months time, there is no way I would have believed them. For so long, my acne had been an ongoing thing; ever-changing, breaking out daily, week after week, year after year. I couldn't handle it and it quite literally took over half my life. It's cost me so much over the last thirteen years because I just wasn't strong enough to battle on and enjoy my life regardless. Despite all that, it turns out that there was hope, there was light at the end of the tunnel, and it was possible to clear my acne. I suppose what I'm saying is, don't give up and don't let it win!

Aww, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. There's more to you than your skin. There's so much more to all of us. Your acne doesn't define you at all so try your best not to let it. For all you know, those girls see you in the exact same way you see them. Fact is, other people don't focus on our skin in the way we do. Not only that, it doesn't take away your personality, your positive traits, or indeed your beauty, inside and out.

Posted Image

hi Paul
I'm so glad your'e 99% clear!! i can totally relate to how you were before, I really don't see myself being clear in the future, at the moment I'm just thinking will I really have to put up with this for the rest of my life. Like you, I was on lymecycline for about a year and its effects wore off. I have made an appt with my doctor though (why is it so hard to get referred to a derm here in the UK?!) so any suggestions on what I should say/ ask for? I feel acne has also cost me so much, friendships, relationships, I absolutely hated my years at college because of my acne. Thank you for the advice though, I think I'm just having a bad month and just need to get back on track with a routine. I never imagined having acne 4 years ago and the hurt it would bring. I'm hoping since I'm 21 by acne will subside in my twenties! x

#12 HapaMommy

HapaMommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Have considered the birth control pill? If the antibiotics aren't working for you maybe the pill will. Sometimes the acne is due to hormonal imbalances. There are north control pills that are great for preventing acne.

#13 hayleyx90

hayleyx90

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Have considered the birth control pill? If the antibiotics aren't working for you maybe the pill will. Sometimes the acne is due to hormonal imbalances. There are north control pills that are great for preventing acne.

i have considered it and my gp suggested it before, but I've heard so many horror stories of coming off ..I don't want to become dependent on the pill or risk acne becoming worse.

#14 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

i have considered it and my gp suggested it before, but I've heard so many horror stories of coming off ..I don't want to become dependent on the pill or risk acne becoming worse.

Ya there are stories, but not true for everyone. Such stories come from anything we do. Like those that stop using BP.

BC might help for the time being. Don't shoot down the option.

#15 AcneeHater

AcneeHater

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 23
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Dont worry your not struggling alone. Im on DKR right now fighting this war.
One of my older bothers had suffered from acne when he was around my age, his regimen is super simple and everyone can do this. Mayb this will help for you?
All he does is just keep it simple. Have clean pillow case all the time, wash face with cold water, Drink lots of water and sleep early. Super simple and that really worked for him. I mean his acne is worst than mine now but hes perfectly clear now. I should try this but i dont wanna just stop DKR all for nothing.
Wouldnt hurt to give it a try?

Edited by AcneeHater, 07 March 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#16 tritonxiv

tritonxiv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

If you truly believe acne is ruining your life, then it's time to make a serious effort to do save your life. Do a drastic diet, try birth control pills, take accutane.... it dosen't matter. But don't let yourself be a victim. Do something. Fight back.

Don't be afraid. If you feel your life is already ruined, then there's nothing to lose.

Good luck.

Edited by tritonxiv, 07 March 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#17 PaulH85

PaulH85

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'm so glad your'e 99% clear!! i can totally relate to how you were before, I really don't see myself being clear in the future, at the moment I'm just thinking will I really have to put up with this for the rest of my life. Like you, I was on lymecycline for about a year and its effects wore off. I have made an appt with my doctor though (why is it so hard to get referred to a derm here in the UK?!) so any suggestions on what I should say/ ask for? I feel acne has also cost me so much, friendships, relationships, I absolutely hated my years at college because of my acne. Thank you for the advice though, I think I'm just having a bad month and just need to get back on track with a routine. I never imagined having acne 4 years ago and the hurt it would bring. I'm hoping since I'm 21 by acne will subside in my twenties! x

I see where you're coming from. I could write a book about all the things I allowed acne to take from me. It pushed me to the edge to be honest but, for whatever reason, I'm still here so I figured I'd fight back. In fact, I probably should write that book, put my experience to good use! Posted Image

I can't relate directly, in terms of the options that are available to you with hormonal treatments and so on, but I reckon that's what I'd be considering next. I always say that for everything we try which doesn't help us get clear, we're crossing that off the list and getting closer to the thing that will work. Maybe if you've ticked off the proverbial A to Z of antibiotics and Accutane doesn't seem to be on the cards, the hormonal treatments would be worth a shot.

The Accutane puzzles me but I try not to let my experience cloud things because I know there are plenty of UK posters who have taken or are taking it at the moment. All the GP's at my surgery said the policy in Sheffield where dermatologists were concerned is that they'll only see you if the acne is severe, cystic, and hasn't responded to other treatments. Maybe it differs from city to city, given that there are people taking it who had less acne than me and it wasn't cystic either, I don't know. Either way, I didn't tick any of those boxes because even though my acne kept coming back, it did technically respond in a positive way while I was on antibiotics. Evidently, the fact that it wasn't improving enough for my liking didn't come into it.
By the same token, the emotional impact it was having and the toll it was taking on my life didn't matter either. I walked into the surgery and, no word of a lie, told the doctor that over a period of thirteen years, I simply hadn't coped with my acne at all and as a result, had lost all my friends, never been in a relationship, I'd been fired from my job, had no confidence or self-esteem... I could have gone on and on but it wouldn't have mattered because I didn't fit the criteria and that was the end of it.
Having said that, if I ever had to try for it again, I'd still be looking to explain all that stuff and I'd suggest to you that you should share your equivalent scenarios with your doctor so that they at least know the whole story. It certainly can't hurt. Bigger picture, if you go down the birth control route first and don't have success, that would surely put you in a stronger position in terms of being a good candidate for Accutane. Besides, it may well turn out that if you did the birth control thing, that could be the missing piece to the puzzle, so to speak.

:)

#18 hayleyx90

hayleyx90

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

Dont worry your not struggling alone. Im on DKR right now fighting this war.
One of my older bothers had suffered from acne when he was around my age, his regimen is super simple and everyone can do this. Mayb this will help for you?
All he does is just keep it simple. Have clean pillow case all the time, wash face with cold water, Drink lots of water and sleep early. Super simple and that really worked for him. I mean his acne is worst than mine now but hes perfectly clear now. I should try this but i dont wanna just stop DKR all for nothing.
Wouldnt hurt to give it a try?

thanks for your advice!:) i think i definitely need to start drinking more water...

If you truly believe acne is ruining your life, then it's time to make a serious effort to do save your life. Do a drastic diet, try birth control pills, take accutane.... it dosen't matter. But don't let yourself be a victim. Do something. Fight back.

Don't be afraid. If you feel your life is already ruined, then there's nothing to lose.

Good luck.

i think I'm going to discuss my concerns about birth control with my doctor and will probably end up trying as thats the best option at the moment, seeing as everything else is failing. You're right, I feel like a have become a victim to this and I'm so sick of it controlling my life. I am pretty healthy, but i think I probably need to consider a complete diet change.

The Accutane puzzles me but I try not to let my experience cloud things because I know there are plenty of UK posters who have taken or are taking it at the moment. All the GP's at my surgery said the policy in Sheffield where dermatologists were concerned is that they'll only see you if the acne is severe, cystic, and hasn't responded to other treatments. Maybe it differs from city to city, given that there are people taking it who had less acne than me and it wasn't cystic either, I don't know. Either way, I didn't tick any of those boxes because even though my acne kept coming back, it did technically respond in a positive way while I was on antibiotics. Evidently, the fact that it wasn't improving enough for my liking didn't come into it.
By the same token, the emotional impact it was having and the toll it was taking on my life didn't matter either. I walked into the surgery and, no word of a lie, told the doctor that over a period of thirteen years, I simply hadn't coped with my acne at all and as a result, had lost all my friends, never been in a relationship, I'd been fired from my job, had no confidence or self-esteem... I could have gone on and on but it wouldn't have mattered because I didn't fit the criteria and that was the end of it.
Having said that, if I ever had to try for it again, I'd still be looking to explain all that stuff and I'd suggest to you that you should share your equivalent scenarios with your doctor so that they at least know the whole story. It certainly can't hurt. Bigger picture, if you go down the birth control route first and don't have success, that would surely put you in a stronger position in terms of being a good candidate for Accutane. Besides, it may well turn out that if you did the birth control thing, that could be the missing piece to the puzzle, so to speak.

Posted Image

My GP said the same thing about being referred to a dermatologist. Maybe one of the other reasons he hasn't referred me is because I haven't told him how its affecting my social life, like you did. That did make me think actually, if I try birth control and it doesnt work, I have more chance of trying accutane. I honestly feel as if its has affected so many friendships, I've lost contact with a few really good old friends because I've been afraid to see them with my acne after they have been used to me with clear skin. 90% of my day I think about my skin and how it looks in certain lightings from angles etc..its so exhausting. I've seriously had enough so may well consider birth control now. I don't know if I'm expecting too much. I'm a perfectionist and want to be 100% clear, when anitbiotics worked for me I was about 85% clear..and its just so difficult knowing your so close to becoming clear, but your not. I can't explain, lol. But thanks for your advice, you've all made me feel tons betterPosted Image Posted Image

#19 PaulH85

PaulH85

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

I'm a perfectionist and want to be 100% clear, when anitbiotics worked for me I was about 85% clear..and its just so difficult knowing your so close to becoming clear, but your not. I can't explain, lol.

Funnily enough, I was posting about the exact same situation on an Accutane log earlier today; those instances where things start improving or maybe a particular area of your face gets clear, it shows you what things could be like and you really start to resent whatever problem areas are left because they're the only thing getting in the way. That feeling of being almost but not quite there can be so frustrating. You're certainly not on your own with that one!

#20 hayleyx90

hayleyx90

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

hi guys.
so I went to my doctor yesterday, I told her I'd tried every single antibiotic and was reluctant to go on the pill. He referred me to a derm to try accutane! I think I will need to convince the derm to actually give me accutane though, because my skin isn't severe, I've just tried a lot of different medicines. I'll be so annoyed if I don't get accutane! Really hope it works for me...and I'm going to start on those diet changes!