Photo

Asian Boy Starting Log 1 Month Into Accutane

accutane asian acne 1 month male boy candida

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 OhWhatFun

OhWhatFun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

PREFACE

Hey guys so ive always been roaming around acne.org the past 2 years. I'm 17 years old singaporean-canadian and i first started getting acne when i was 14 y/o. i only had it on my forehead for several months then boom one day it spread all over my face and it really caught me off guard. I tried everything, i first started with salicylic acid creams to no improvement, then murad sulphur spot treatment which helped a bit but not much, and when my acne was moderate mainly on the sides of my face and cheeks, i went to see my doctor who prescribed me minocycline. i took it for 3 months and i could tell it had absolutely no effect on me as my doctor coould tell as well. My doctor wouldnt let me see a dermatologist though so she just told me to use spectro jel and try benzoyl peroxide though, at this point my acne was moderate leaning onto severe. I had a terrible allergic reaction to benzoyl peroxide jel and proactiv. the spectro jel cleanser is okay but it doesnt help as much as i would like it to. then i also used glycolic acid which actually worked pretty well but wasn't fully effective only on some spots. i also tried many different moisturizers from cetaphil, spectro, clean & clear and a bunch of others for when my skin got really dry from treatments, but they all made my skin feel greasy so i chose out cetaphil as my best bet.

throughout the past 3 years ive also tried many holistic approaches such as fruit veggies only diet, drinking 10 glasses of water a day, eliminating all diary and sweets, eliminating iodine from seafood, taking omega 3 tablets, drinking lemon juice/apple cider vinegar everyday and avoiding breakfast. i already tend to eat healthy before and during acne anyway so after i tried all those i just knew that my diet didnt really have much of an effect on my acne. diet does effect the healthiness of skin but specifically the acne wasn't aggravated or assisted by what i ate.

about the masturbation-acne link, during the 2011 summer i went on vacation for a month and so i wasn't able to masturbate a single time not even a millisecond the entire month, but guess what my acne was the same as usual, bad! (but i did feel more mentally stable and not as horny during that time :P) so i would say for me acne and masturbation has no link, but thats my personal experience.

ACCUTANE LOG BEGINS HERE

My dermatologist prescribed me Accutane on January 26th, 2012. He prescribed me 45 pills Roche Accutane of 40mg strength for once a day usage. He told me that judging by my skin and acne severity, which was between moderate and severe, that I was a good candidate for Accutane. He told me that all his patients that took accutane so far have all been very successful with it. I didn't have much pitted scarring mainly just PIH red/brown/purple marks and active pimples/cysts. I went for my first blood test on January 28th, 2012 for my initial blood levels and I took my first pill on January 28th at 11pm. I basically take one pill every night at around 11-12pm with food and water. I didnt notice much side effects until the first week where my lips began to really dry up. I used vaseline chapstick constantly like every 30 minutes on my lips as much as possible to minimize the side effects of dry lips. At 1 week and a half, I began getting back pains especially when i was using my computer or doing homework. I also noticed some chest pains and quickly reported it to my dermatologist but he told me it should be fine, the pain lasted a couple days and quickly subsided. Then at 2 weeks my face, neck and nose began drying out quite quickly. I used Cetaphil moisturizer for sensitive skin every night but it makes my skin feel quite greasy so i don`t really like it, ive been searching for a better moisturizer but havent found one yet. At 3 weeks my eyes became really dry and especially when i was wearing my contact lenses. At 4 weeks things generally stayed the same from before, with the same relentless side effects, and i was still seeing no improvement in my skin. My acne was the same as before i started treatment and has been the same the entire time. The only slightly noticeable change was that the blackheads on my nose are slowly but surely disappearing. I'm still getting pimples on my cheeks, forehead, chest, back, neck and sides of face. Strangely I don't usually get pimples on my nose and chin area, but i get it on my mustache line quite often. However, i havent gotten a pimple on my mustache line in a couple weeks, which is one of the pros so far i suppose, its just not really noticeable because its mainly the sides of my faces that are suffering badly.

It's almost 5 weeks and I have passed a month on Accutane already, but I'm not satisfied with the results. Perhaps my expectations were too high from all the hype from online sources claiming accutane is a miracle drug and my derm telling me that I will see great changes after a month. All I can do at this point is to pray that Accutane will work for me because I still have 5 more months on the drug and I'm really excited to see some changes but right now I'm just feeling disappointed and frustrated from the progress.

I will update my log as much as possible whenever there are changes that I feel the need to report.

#2 Jenny P

Jenny P

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

It's only been one month, don't expect miracles so soon. Some people get cleared right at the very end. But, wait...did you just say the blackheads on your nose are going away? Do you mean the real deep regular blackheads or the tiny black dots on the nose that most people have??

#3 OhWhatFun

OhWhatFun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

yeah youre right, i just kinda had a high hope from what my derm told me, but patience i guess, I mean the many tiny black spots on ur nose that when u squeeze about a mile strip of yellow gunk keeps coming upwards like toothpaste O.o im pretty sure those are black heads

Edited by OhWhatFun, 02 March 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#4 OhWhatFun

OhWhatFun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Day 48

so i met with my derm last week and he wanted to bump me up to 80mg a day becuz of the lack of improvement, however, in the end he decided to stick with 40 mg and prescribed me another 45 pills of 40mg. it is now day 48 and I haven't seen any improvement in my skin, it is starting to get more dry but new zits are still appearing on my cheeks, chest, forehead still. the side effects are still the same but the eczema on the back of my hand is clearing up becuz of hydrocortisone cream im using. my lips got even more dry since my last post but its still bearable with my vaseline lip balm. my back pains are diminishing for the most part but i eyes are really dry. i will update in perhaps a week and hopefully ill see some improvement by then :)

#5 OhWhatFun

OhWhatFun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

Day 57

hey everyone, so im starting to see small babysteps of improvement, my skin is flushing redder than ever but in terms of acne, there has been a decrease in bumps. several of my older bumps from month 1 breakouts are still hanging around along with red marks and ive still been breaking out in month 2 but thankfully less than before. I just hope this improvement continues onto the 3rd "magical" month and hopefully I will see large noticeable improvements by then. My lips are dryer than ever and they hurt and bleed quite often even though i put vaseline on them whenever i can. besides flushing, dry skin and dry lips, the other side effects arent too noticeable. perhaps my mood has been on the low side lately, probably from accutane because it's pretty spontaneous and random sometimes i think about life and acne and get depressed. though i try to avoid it as much as possible it still enters my mind ever so often. but besides that i've been working out and staying fit and healthy. Drinking lots of water and eating lots of veggies. This has been helping my mood a bit and its good for my body. Going for my 3rd blood test tmrw, week 8 i believe it is.

Cheers everybody, keep fighting, the end is near.

#6 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

Sounds to me you are just having a longer initial breakout. Some people have initial breakouts that go well into their 3rd month. Amazingly they still get completely clear by the end of their course's. So keep looking up!! Your halfway there Posted Image

Also I hated Cetaphil too. I have never had a face that needed moisturizing. I was never oily or dry. I just have normal skin with acne. Woo Hoo. After starting Accutane I was on the search for a good moisturizer. I found CuraVe has a awesome one! I use both the A.M with the SPF and I use a cream at night. Its a little heavier so its not something I want to put on under my makeup. You can find the name of the lotions I use down in my signature. GOOD LUCK!!

#7 OhWhatFun

OhWhatFun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hey Betsy, yeah maybe ill try one of those but for now I've switched to spectro moisturizer for blemish prone skin, its been doing its okay for my skin :) Thanks! good luck to you too in your course!

#8 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Hey Betsy, yeah maybe ill try one of those but for now I've switched to spectro moisturizer for blemish prone skin, its been doing its okay for my skin :) Thanks! good luck to you too in your course!

I hope those works out for you. Wouldn't it be nice to find the right product right away? Good luck, keep giving us the updates

#9 OhWhatFun

OhWhatFun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

Day 65

alrighty, so i lied :/ i thought my skin was getting better but then for about a week now i have had several big breakouts everyday. around 2-3 cysts on each side of my face and a couple nasty pimples all over and several focused on my temples. im at a loss of what to do, i have an appointment with my derm in a couple days so hopefully he can up my dosage from 40mg now to 80mg or at least 60mg :S

#10 OhWhatFun

OhWhatFun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Day 85

Hello everybodyyyyyyyyyy :) sorry i havent updated yall in a bit, so a couple days after my previous post, i went for my derm apptment and the derm bumped me up to 40mg alternating with 2 40mg every other day so basically its 120mg / 2 days or similar to 60mg a day. It wasnt until I got bumped up then i began noticing some awesome improvements in my face :D im still breaking out slightly like a couple small pimples here and there but generally its been staying clear this past couple weeks. I noticed i was breaking out less on like day 70ish - 75 and its been continually improving im hoping my face will be less red but its generally smoother and clearer than ive ever been for almost 2 years already. im pretty happy :D im almost at the halfway mark so im pumped that i will see even more improvement the next several months.

One other thing i noticed though is that my lips have been extremely dry even more than before. But the biggest thing that is ticking me off is how dry my eyes are, especially when i wear my contacts. :/ oh well Ill keep on keeping on. it took a while but at least im seeing some results now and thats the biggest thing for me :o

#11 OhWhatFun

OhWhatFun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

Day 107

Hey guys, so its been awhile but things have been good. for some reason i just recently got some breakouts on my face and chest but they were minor and started clearing up in a couple days. my red and dark marks have been starting to fade. i dunno why i still get small isolated pimples on selected areas around my face but i just hope my derm will bump me up to 80mg a day instead of 80 / 40 alternating. well i dont see him for another 20 days or so but time will prob pass fast. im goin on a roadtrip to the states next week so im pumped and excited to hav some fun :D final thing, my lips are severely dry even with the use of vaseline so thats pretty discouraging, and my eyes are dry as well, so same side effects as my previous post. best of luck to everyone and keep pushing forward!

#12 OhWhatFun

OhWhatFun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

Day 115

just a quick update, so i broke out worse than usual during the weekend but its drying up pretty quick. and im starting to notice a lot of hyper pigmentation marks and scars which really sucks. i hope they will fade soon :(

Side Effect: so same as previous posts EXCEPT i randomly began having really REALLY bad skin rashes along my entire arms :/ they are red large patches raised on the back of my arms, hands in front of my arms and along my triceps... they really suck and if i dont put hydrocortisone cream on them they itch pretty badly... this sucks.

bye for now.