Photo

My New Accutane Adventure! (Updated With Pictures)

hairloss accutane accutane log biotin aha alpha hydroxy acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

DAY 30

Just about done with the first month. I had the blood test and derm appt, and everything checked out fine. One thing that kinda sucks is that my face is still bad. I know it's early, but my face is still slowly, but surely breaking out. My initial breakout isn't completely healed either and my face is super dry. I'm afraid to put major moisturizer on because it might make my face worse.

One weird thing that happened to me today is my eyes are messed up. They are both really swollen. I'm not sure if this is accutane related, or just a different sickness or something, but I definitely thought it was weird.

I am using Cetaphil at night, right after the shower, and rinsing my face with water in the morning, but I almost want to stop Cetaphil. My derm said it wasn't a good idea to stop washing my face with a cleaner, but I feel that it makes my face redder, and maybe even worse. I may be wrong, but that's just my gut feeling. but I guess I'll just keep on keeping on over here.

Hey :)
I was using Cetaphil and hated it! I switched over to CeraVe face wash and I am able to use it 2x daily with no redness or feeling like my skin was tight afterwards. It's the foaming face wash, I have the exact name of it in my signature below. Also I am using CeraVe AM during the day as a moisturizer it has a 30 SPF in it. It is amazing! At night I use CeraVe moisturizing cream. Comes in a big white tub. I was one of those people who have been terrified to change products because I didn't want to break out. Plus moisturizers always made me break out and some of them burned and turned me red and flushed afterwards. The product line costs alittle more than others out there but it is amazing!!! Plus you get a lot in there too.

#22 tboy098

tboy098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

DAY 1 Month and almost a half..ish.

So I haven't checked in in a while, and honestly not much has changed.
I am still using the Cetaphil, at night after a hot shower. In the AM I just splash my face with water. I am also using two different chap sticks for my lips and Head and Shoulders for my scalp.

As far as my face goes..no major improvement.
My skin ton/complexion is so uneven. All my hyper pigmentation/PIH or whatever you want to call it is extremely visible, and not faded at all. I am still getting more active spots, and my old areas aren't healed from months ago. My face is red, all over, and any place where I once had a pimple is also really red. My face is less dry compared to the middle of last month, but it is still flakey in certain places.

I have been trying to keep my diet as healthy as I can, and I've also spaced my pills out so they are exactly 12 hours (give or take an hour) from each other. Not sure if this actually matters that much, but I don't tend to have my night pill with a very large meal. Also, another thing that I wonder about is in regards to pillows and sleep. I try to lay on my back, which in my opinion, makes a difference. I also try to shave as few times as possible, which isn't a big deal to me because shaving with delicate/problematic skin is always a hassle.

But so far so not good. I've been popping these pills like candy it seems and my face shows no signs of major improvement. I realize that this is a long haul kind of deal, but I am just worried that I am doing something wrong, or that after all this, nothing will happen. mehhhhhhh

DAY 30

Just about done with the first month. I had the blood test and derm appt, and everything checked out fine. One thing that kinda sucks is that my face is still bad. I know it's early, but my face is still slowly, but surely breaking out. My initial breakout isn't completely healed either and my face is super dry. I'm afraid to put major moisturizer on because it might make my face worse.

One weird thing that happened to me today is my eyes are messed up. They are both really swollen. I'm not sure if this is accutane related, or just a different sickness or something, but I definitely thought it was weird.

I am using Cetaphil at night, right after the shower, and rinsing my face with water in the morning, but I almost want to stop Cetaphil. My derm said it wasn't a good idea to stop washing my face with a cleaner, but I feel that it makes my face redder, and maybe even worse. I may be wrong, but that's just my gut feeling. but I guess I'll just keep on keeping on over here.

Hey Posted Image
I was using Cetaphil and hated it! I switched over to CeraVe face wash and I am able to use it 2x daily with no redness or feeling like my skin was tight afterwards. It's the foaming face wash, I have the exact name of it in my signature below. Also I am using CeraVe AM during the day as a moisturizer it has a 30 SPF in it. It is amazing! At night I use CeraVe moisturizing cream. Comes in a big white tub. I was one of those people who have been terrified to change products because I didn't want to break out. Plus moisturizers always made me break out and some of them burned and turned me red and flushed afterwards. The product line costs alittle more than others out there but it is amazing!!! Plus you get a lot in there too.

Hey BeautifulDisasters (love the name reference btw hah)

Thanks for the reply! I am so interested in trying CeraVe, but as you said, I'm kinda freaked out about the possible breakout. I don't exactly dislike Cetaphil, but I am afraid that it might be messing with my skin tone, and making my face redder than it should be. Cetaphil does make my skin a little tight after I use it, but it honestly isn't too bad. My derm told me that the accutane would take away the redness in due time, which I kinda hope is true. ahh I just don't know. It would be worth a shot to try, but I really can't stand breaking out any more than I already am.

Edited by tboy098, 03 April 2012 - 04:08 AM.

#23 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for the reply! I am so interested in trying CeraVe, but as you said, I'm kinda freaked out about the possible breakout. I don't exactly dislike Cetaphil, but I am afraid that it might be messing with my skin tone, and making my face redder than it should be. Cetaphil does make my skin a little tight after I use it, but it honestly isn't too bad. My derm told me that the accutane would take away the redness in due time, which I kinda hope is true. ahh I just don't know. It would be worth a shot to try, but I really can't stand breaking out any more than I already am.

I would totally try out the CeraVe out of all the products I've tried over the years this is the only one that hasn't broke me out. I hear about people who have red face the the whole time they are on accutane. They refer to it as the tane burn. So your a month and a half in and still breaking out? Like active breakouts or your old stuff is clearing up?

#24 tboy098

tboy098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

I would totally try out the CeraVe out of all the products I've tried over the years this is the only one that hasn't broke me out. I hear about people who have red face the the whole time they are on accutane. They refer to it as the tane burn. So your a month and a half in and still breaking out? Like active breakouts or your old stuff is clearing up?

I am looking into picking some CeraVe up hopefully pretty soon. If it is as gentle as it sounds, I definitely think it should be good on my skin. It couldn't hurt trying it, but I really don't feel like dealing with an IB from switching face washes.

Yeah the red face thing is sketchy. I am not in the sun much, except to walk to class each day, so I don't think it's sun related. I am not sure if it is from the Cetaphil, or the Accutane, or both. But either way, my face is really red, which doesn't make things look better.

Yeah, I am still getting new breakouts on a pretty regular basis. Some people say that after their IB they don't break out at all, but for me that hasn't been the case. And the weird thing with my face is that it is taking forever to heal. My "marks" or whatever you want to call it from my IB over a month ago are still pretty visible. My face is healing in slow motion, and leaving redness behind. So idekkk

#25 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

I hope that the red goes away soon! Also I hope the breakouts stop any day now! Let me know how you like the CeraVe once you are able to get it

#26 tboy098

tboy098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

I hope that the red goes away soon! Also I hope the breakouts stop any day now! Let me know how you like the CeraVe once you are able to get it

I am actually looking into getting CeraVe like asap, because as much as I like the Cetaphil, i feel that it may be making my face red, dry, and swollen. It may be the accutane, but when I stop using the Cetaphil, my face usually has a more even complexion. I would stop using my nightly Cetaphil, but I'm afraid a change in my regiment could mess with my skin. I'm hoping that a local Walgreens or something has the CeraVe products.

Now, I just need to decide which CeraVe products to get. I am on a pretty tight budget because I am in college, but I definitely want to find something that makes my skin feel and look better. I am thinking of just going with the Foaming Cleanser and maybe a moisturizer.

#27 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

I would say that would be a good choice. The CeraVe products are alittle pricey aren't they. Walgreens, cvs, Walmart all have them

#28 tboy098

tboy098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

I would say that would be a good choice. The CeraVe products are alittle pricey aren't they. Walgreens, cvs, Walmart all have them

Hey BeautifulDisasters,

I actually have a CeraVe related question. I bought the hydrating facial cleanser by CeraVe, thinking I could kinda kill two birds with one stone and hydrate while gently cleansing, but I am returning it for the foaming cleanser. I'd rather start as gentle as possible, and I think and hope the foaming cleanser in comparison to the hydrating version is better for my skin. I'll still have to eventually pick up a moisturizer, but I want to first start slow. What do you think? Do you recommend the foaming wash over the moisturizing one?

Edited by tboy098, 09 April 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#29 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hey BeautifulDisasters,

I actually have a CeraVe related question. I bought the hydrating facial cleanser by CeraVe, thinking I could kinda kill two birds with one stone and hydrate while gently cleansing, but I am returning it for the foaming cleanser. I'd rather start as gentle as possible, and I think and hope the foaming cleanser in comparison to the hydrating version is better for my skin. I'll still have to eventually pick up a moisturizer, but I want to first start slow. What do you think? Do you recommend the foaming wash over the moisturizing one?

Hey, happy to help :) I do recommend the foaming face wash. That is what I use. It is very gentle and is what my dermatologist said was the best to use. I did think about buying the hydrating cleanser as well thinking two birds one stone. I decided not to because my derm would have said that was the best if that was the best. I think you will love the foaming fash wash.

#30 tboy098

tboy098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

Hey BeautifulDisasters,

Hey, happy to help Posted Image I do recommend the foaming face wash. That is what I use. It is very gentle and is what my dermatologist said was the best to use. I did think about buying the hydrating cleanser as well thinking two birds one stone. I decided not to because my derm would have said that was the best if that was the best. I think you will love the foaming fash wash.

Thanks again BeautifulDisasters,
Today I found a place that had the foaming wash so I'll get that tomorrow hopefully. I'm definitely looking foreword to trying it. As of right now I'm going with no face wash, and I sorta like it. The redness of my skin literally makes my face look 10x worse than I picture it to be. but whatevss. hah

Edited by tboy098, 10 April 2012 - 11:34 PM.