Photo

The Nutrition/holistic Health Approach Is Wrong

vitamin vitamins fish oil candida

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 Enimrac

Enimrac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hey

I'm one of those people who have tried "curing" acne with diet and vitamin supplements. Believe me, I've done it all, cleanses, juice fasts, raw food, mixing theories, liver purges, dairy-free, fish oil, coconut oil, I'VE DONE IT ALL. And that period in my life was one of the saddest times and one of the biggest mistakes of my life. My conclusion is it's total bullshit. I don't think there is any effect whatsoever on acne. People who insist on this, I think, are delusional, as I was at one point.

Imo, acne is genetic, and it just depends on the kind of skin you have, period. No diet is gonna change that. It's really sad when people do these things, especially since it takes up so much of your time and energy, and it becomes a total obsession.

Anyone thinking of going down this route, please reconsider. And if you are on this route, please stop. JUST STOP. Look at it like this....would you try to cure male pattern baldness with diet and supplements?? It makes no sense, it's a waste of time, and there are more rational options available that might actually help, like rx medicine, Dan's regimen, etc. Diet and vitamins wont.

Candida, leaky gut syndrome, all bull shit. I honestly have to say, please don't fall into the trap of thinking this stuff is true and wasting not only your time and money, but your LIFE on such baloney. If you want to eat more healthy, that's great, but just know it aint gonna effect your acne one bit. I spent YEARS doing this stuff, and there is a very vicious cycle you can fall into to. I posted religiously on message boards devoted to curing acne in this way, and not a single person found success doing it, just more problems and stress, but some how, couldn't find a way to stop. It becomes an obsession, it becomes a vicious cycle...ie, if it's not working, it means your just not finished "cleansing" your body. So you do more to cleanse. Its just such a waste of time and it really took over my life to the point where I couldn't even go out to dinner w/ family or friends without stressing out about what was in the food I was eating, asking waiters to ask the chef questions, etc, its just so ridiculous. It totally makes you put your whole life on hold.

Anyway, I'd love it if others who have done this to cure acne, and have been met with no success (which I'd venture to say is EVERYONE), could add to this post. I think it is so important. And if you just started on this route, please listen, and don't put your faith in it and defend it, because the first few weeks is not enough to say if something is working. People have a weird habit of defending this approach when they first start because they want it to work so bad, and because it seems more "noble" to handle it in a "holistic" way, but really don't have the experience to be advocating this stuff. Its dangerous, its extreme, and it wont help your acne. Fasting, liver purges, juice diets, they can be VERY DANGEROUS and no one should be going to such extremes based on the advice of people on message boards who don't know what they are talking about.

Go to the dermatologist. If you don't like them, go to another one until you find one you are comfortable with. Try Dan's regimen. I've had a lot of success with Benzoyl Peroxide. Be patient with topicals or oral meds. And if you are an extreme case, perhaps you should talk to your doctor about things proven to help extreme acne, like accutane (I'm not advocating any medicine, just saying rxs and bp are based on science and been proven to work, where as this holistic stuff is based on NOTHING. You could either be ridiculous and extreme with your diet and still have acne or be rational and calm and try things that actually work).

I hope I've persuaded just one person to stop this foolishness and just handle their acne in a rational way...with medicine (topicals and oral meds) proven to work or at least help. Diet/vitamin supplements don't work AT ALL.

Please, I think it's important for others who have tried this approach w/ no success (as I said, I'd venture to say that's everyone) to speak up and stop this myth from being further perpetuated.

Edited by Enimrac, 26 February 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#2 Kittyx3

Kittyx3

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Well...I read it all but have you read through any of the logs in Diet/Holistic section? Some people have great success on clearing their acne.
It may just be that your acne isn't caused by food or internal problems like Candida. Like my skin, no matter what I eat or don't eat it remains the same.
I don't think you should blantly say it dosen't work at all, because it does for those who have food intolerances/allergies to certain foods.
It just dosen't work for everyone and works for some (Like any acne treatment)

Edited by Kittyx3, 26 February 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#3 12345tiger

12345tiger

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Diet didn't cure my acne but I'm still trying. But i have to admit that my depression got a lot better.

Unfortunately meds made my skin A LOT worse in the long run so it's no solution either.

#4 trtn48

trtn48

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

It's different for everybody. That is the most important thing to know about acne, that it's different for everybody.

Diet was the biggest factor for me to beat my acne. At least for you, you know you can move on to other methods of treatment and not have to worry about what foods you are eating and stuff.

#5 Enimrac

Enimrac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Well, I've browsed the section, not too much, but I haven't seen too many before and after pictures. There seems to be VERY little evidence that this stuff works, even on the people who claim it does. It seems a lot of the threads are by people in the process, who say they will post pics when it works.

Could there be people with an extreme food allergy that is causing them health problems, acne being one of them. I guess it's possible. But most people who have acne it's not that. If you suspect you have a food allergy, here's what you should do...go get allergy tested. I actually did back when I was doing all this stuff. They test you for practically EVERYTHING, and if you are allergic to anything, you can simply cut that out of your diet and see if it effects your acne, without resorting to raw food diets, liver purges, etc.

The results of my allergy tests were that I wasn't allergic to anything, but I foolishly told myself it then must be candida, or toxins, etc. How many people here claiming they are allergic to certain foods have actually got tested?? I'd like a count. Most people's posts that say they are allergic to wheat, dairy, etc, seem to base it on nothing. It's like conventional in the hollistic community to blame these things for health ailments, and most hollisitic diets out there advocate cutting those things out, so people seem to make an irrational jump from reading about a diet that cuts these things out and concluding they are allergic to those things. You can easily be tested.

I say this out of love people. I know you want this stuff to work, I know you think the hollistic route is more noble some how, but its not, it's dangerous, and it wont help your acne. These diets are similar to diets people with eating disorders go on. They are unsustainable, extreme, and they DO NOT AFFECT YOUR ACNE. I've done it all, and not just diets and vitamins. I've done accupunture, accupressure, kinesiology, colonic irrigation, and sadly none of it had any impact on my skin. None. Perscription acne meds and benzoyl peroxide actually work (to varying degrees). These extreme measures are really not good, you are tackling a problem in THE MOST DIFFICULT WAY POSSIBLE, and it really doesn't work anyway.

I think a lot of this willingness to subject your body to this has a lot to do w/ desperation and low self-esteem due to the effects of having acne, which I've experienced for YEARS. Don't be so willing to subject your body to this kind of irrational treatment, and don't be so willing to believe this stuff, which goes against most common sense. Just be rational and not so extreme, no matter how bad your acne is. Find yourself a good and caring dermatologist, who doesn't run a conveyer-belt practice, even if you have to visit a dozen. You will find one. And get yourself allergy tested if you are so convinced it is an allergy. But don't rule out acne medicine to treat your problem and try to see the parallels between people doing this stuff to treat acne and people who have eating disorders to treat weight issues....

It's different for everybody. That is the most important thing to know about acne, that it's different for everybody.

Diet was the biggest factor for me to beat my acne. At least for you, you know you can move on to other methods of treatment and not have to worry about what foods you are eating and stuff.

Well have you actually beaten it or do you still have acne? Do you have before and after photos? Can you elaberate on diet being the biggest factor?

Edited by Enimrac, 26 February 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#6 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

My theory is:

It must be the food, the air, and the water. Those 3 factors.

If you go to asia, like korea for example you will see that most teenagers there all mostly have great clear skin, here in the west where people eat plastic polymer foods,with processed additives, steroids in meats, hormones in milks all that stuff is just disgusting.

It could be the water also, some chemicals in our tap water.
Japan is the most stressful places in the world, school work is much harder, and theres just soo many sucides in Japan, yet under all that stress I think very very few of them are acne sufferers. So stress could not be the factor, as I personally know lots of people who are always in stress yet have clear skin.

#7 trtn48

trtn48

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

I have beaten it, but even though I'm clear now, I know I could get myself a decent breakout going if I eat the right (or wrong haha) foods.

I have a couple pics on my profile that should be visible (if not, let me know). I will admit I used Dan's Regimen for a while, but it only got me so far. The difference you see in those pics was from diet and no topicals other than moisturizers and occasional exfoliation (which I did before anyway).

#8 Enimrac

Enimrac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

My theory is:

It must be the food, the air, and the water. Those 3 factors.

If you go to asia, like korea for example you will see that most teenagers there all mostly have great clear skin, here in the west where people eat plastic polymer foods,with processed additives, steroids in meats, hormones in milks all that stuff is just disgusting.

It could be the water also, some chemicals in our tap water.
Japan is the most stressful places in the world, school work is much harder, and theres just soo many sucides in Japan, yet under all that stress I think very very few of them are acne sufferers. So stress could not be the factor, as I personally know lots of people who are always in stress yet have clear skin.

What are you basing this on? First of all I am asian, and have family in asia, and there are PLENTY of people with acne in China and asia.

Air, food, and water...again, what are you basing this on?? What people have said on message boards? I ask you, would you suggest to a man with male pattern baldness that the way to solve their hair loss lies in diet and supplements, or drinking water? Acne has to do with they type of skin you are born with. If it was the food, air and water the wouldnt everyone have acne? The same way you ruled out stress (based on the fact that plenty of stressed out people have great skin), you could then rule out diet, air, and water, since plenty of people who are exposed to the same diet, air, and water as acne sufferers have great skin. I'm sorry, but your assesment just doesn't seem to be based on any science whatsoever.

It's genetics, especially with adult acne sufferers. I think that a "HOLLISTIC" approach causes people to give it a credibility that it doesn't deserve, because it claims to cure the problem w/ "natural" foods and stuff. So people are very willing to believe it because it has a kind of noble or earthy or exotic or romantic way about it. I say eat healthy, its good to do as long as it's not too extreme, but just know it wont effect your acne. If you want to eat more naturally, great, but it doesn't effect your acne, period. The same thinking process an acne sufferer has that causes them to subject their bodies to this kind of extreme behavior and diets is the EXACT same process that causes a person with weight issues to develop an eating disorder. Lets call these things what they are....eating disorders....and they wont help your acne one bit.

I have beaten it, but even though I'm clear now, I know I could get myself a decent breakout going if I eat the right (or wrong haha) foods.

I have a couple pics on my profile that should be visible (if not, let me know). I will admit I used Dan's Regimen for a while, but it only got me so far. The difference you see in those pics was from diet and no topicals other than moisturizers and occasional exfoliation (which I did before anyway).

How long have you had acne and how severe was it to begin with? Was it cronic? How long have you ago did you change your diet? How long have you been clear? What is your diet like? How often do you break out? Are you sure your break outs are diet related? If so, what foods cause you to break out?

Edited by Enimrac, 26 February 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#9 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

I've been to several asian countries. TBH theres nothing like korea and japan where the air is good and all natural. When I went to china I could actually feel a thick smoke layer in my hands. I got used to it later, the air is quite dry and perhaps polluted. The moment when I stepped in Japan the air is completely different, very hydrated, just fresh and clean.

Thats just my personal experience, I am not saying all asian countries have great air or diet, but I am saying that they are not all the same but japan and korea are great examples.

Yes all of our skin is different, and it can all be clear depending on the enviroment. As for the baldness part, baldness itself has many factors, enviroment, genetics, products you use, aging.

I am talking about the percentage, the majority. Majority of korean teens have great skin, but in the US? the percentage drops. It varies for everyone, we are not all the exact same copies, some are more tolerant some are not, just like allargies, some people get red dots on their skin because of certain allergic reactions, some dont.

Environment is better there, therefore LESS, people have acne, not ALL. And science don't even have a solid understanding on acne.
Do you even try to get what I was saying?

Eating won't help your acne one bit? *rolls eyes* not even one bit? Ok, drink 2 cups of water a day, and don't eat foods with vitamins that could balance your hormones, also drink milk a lot in hormones that could make your skin oily, for a month. Your skin will not change one bit right? according to your statement?

#10 trtn48

trtn48

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

I was clear about a year ago, at which point I began working out and adding calories (I was 6'4" and 145 lbs, thanks to a rocket metabolism).

I added to my diet sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. No breakouts, until I added almonds. So I stopped eating almonds, and stopped breaking out. I researched and found that I was getting a ton of omega 6 fat. So I readded almonds, this time along with omega 3 supplements. The result? No breakouts.

I made milkshakes and had granola with milk every day. Result? Breakouts. Switched from dairy milk to almond milk. No breakouts.

Added eggs, broke out. No eggs, no break out.

Started eating large amounts of red meat everyday. You know where I'm going.

All of these were during periods with no outside effects (consistant sleep, shaving daily, exfoliating regularly, no drinking, no junk food).

My current diet is:

Almond Milk/Granola
One small potato and half a sweet potato.
PB Sandwich with flaxseed and banana
Salmon sandwich
Almonds and Sunflower seeds
Two milkshakes with almond milk, frozen fruit and peanut butter. One has olive oil added, the other has flaxseed oil (45 mL of each).
Toasted Bagel
Chicken breast with multigrain spaghetti
I also several separate servings of fruit and whatever is being served at home (life of a university student haha).

All grains are whole grain. I also added the sweet potato because I found I was breaking out pretty severely after drinking, and sweet potato is very rich in vitamin A which helps skin growth and stuff; basically makes us less susceptible to acne by keeping them pores healthy. Now I originally added a whole sweet potato, but it turns out I was getting something like 800% of my daily recommended intake of vitamin A. I started feeling a tightness in my jaw, so I cut back on the sweet potato, and the feeling went away.

I say that no one knows your body better than yourself. I'm no doctor, but I don't need a doctor to tell me why I was feeling soreness in my jaw. Same goes for the other stuff.

I've steadied my diet recently and I've had only one inflamed pimple this year, which came after a night of drinking.

Edited by trtn48, 26 February 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#11 Enimrac

Enimrac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

I've been to several asian countries. TBH theres nothing like korea and japan where the air is good and all natural. When I went to china I could actually feel a thick smoke layer in my hands. I got used to it later, the air is quite dry and perhaps polluted. The moment when I stepped in Japan the air is completely different, very hydrated, just fresh and clean.

Thats just my personal experience, I am not saying all asian countries have great air or diet, but I am saying that they are not all the same but japan and korea are great examples.

Yes all of our skin is different, and it can all be clear depending on the enviroment. As for the baldness part, baldness itself has many factors, enviroment, genetics, products you use, aging.

I am talking about the percentage, the majority. Majority of korean teens have great skin, but in the US? the percentage drops. It varies for everyone, we are not all the exact same copies, some are more tolerant some are not, just like allargies, some people get red dots on their skin because of certain allergic reactions, some dont.

Environment is better there, therefore LESS, people have acne, not ALL. And science don't even have a solid understanding on acne.
Do you even try to get what I was saying?

Eating won't help your acne one bit? *rolls eyes* not even one bit? Ok, drink 2 cups of water a day, and don't eat foods with vitamins that could balance your hormones, also drink milk a lot in hormones that could make your skin oily, for a month. Your skin will not change one bit right? according to your statement?

Is your assesment about Japanese and Korean teens with acne compared to American teens based on any statistics or data, done by a credible source, or are you just saying that based one what you've seen? I dont think that your own observations is credible enough to make a definitive statement about that....

I'm saying that if you suffer from cronic acne, changing your diet will most likely have absolutely no effect. If you have clear skin, are there times you can break out because you went on a junk food bindge or have been stressed out? Sure. But those of us who suffer from CRONIC acne, those of us born with acneic skin, will find very little success by approaching the problem this way. Can drinking water and not eating junk food help? I guess it couldn't hurt, but its not going to solve the problem in any real or measurable way.

You can roll your eyes all you want, but have you experienced any success w/ your acne via diet, water, etc?? Are you a cronic acne sufferer? All the hollistic stuff people spout on these boards are based on no facts whatsoever. There is no evidence there is any dietary link to acne, period. Look it up. Dermatologists study this stuff, and I think they know more than people who advocate raw food or juice fasts, who don't know what the hell they are talking about. Could there be cases where people cure cronic acne via diet?? I guess, but I've yet to really read about one ANYWHERE, where actual proof and evidence was shown. For the vast majority of us, you are not going to change the kind of skin you have by what you eat, its just not going to happen.

#12 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

This topic is what is completely false. Yes you can cure acne, along with almost EVERY other medical condition through dieting and holistic ways, and it's in most cases the best way. It's funny you say would you treat baldness with diet and such, when many people have done that and been successful. Do your research before posting bogus facts. I had incredibly bad acne, which was a result of anti-biotics and BP that RUINED my skin, it took me over a year to get back normal skin. If you seen me today you would never know I suffered from severe acne, and that's all thanks to healthy living.

For me I know exactly what I have to do to keep my clear skin. I figured out my own problem, everyone has their own. I follow a kitava diet, make sure to get plenty sleep, exercise, sun, having a good mood which is more important then most know, and not washing my face. Telling people to put chemicals on their face, washing overkill, taking drugs, is what is horrible. You shouldn't be telling anyone to go down that path, as that path just leads to more years of acne. Remove it once and for all the correct way, fixing yourself. If you notice 3rd world countries acne is nothing, if anyone has it is only mild, where as western societies have full blown acne cases all over the place. It's diet and lifestyle, that's a fact. If I get a breakout it's when I get lazy and eat typical american food, I go right back to diet and acne goes away..

You can believe that acne is all genes and you can do nothing about it, but that's just a pathetic excuse.

#13 Chestercool

Chestercool

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

I controled my acne incredibly following a holistic method, if you need proof check my log out.

Anyways i understand your logic, i was 80% clear, but i wasnt happy, then i broke out terribly trying to find that 20% left... i couldnt eat popcorn with my girlfriend, eat burger king any the other weekend, drink sometimes. That's why i decided to take accutane, good damit i hate the initial breakout :P but i guess it will worth it.

So, If you're not happy following a holistic method, find an oral or topical treatment, specially if you are a teenager, you're supposed to have a good social life and enjoy it

#14 Enimrac

Enimrac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

This topic is what is completely false. Yes you can cure acne, along with almost EVERY other medical condition through dieting and holistic ways, and it's in most cases the best way. It's funny you say would you treat baldness with diet and such, when many people have done that and been successful. Do your research before posting bogus facts. I had incredibly bad acne, which was a result of anti-biotics and BP that RUINED my skin, it took me over a year to get back normal skin. If you seen me today you would never know I suffered from severe acne, and that's all thanks to healthy living.

For me I know exactly what I have to do to keep my clear skin. I figured out my own problem, everyone has their own. I follow a kitava diet, make sure to get plenty sleep, exercise, sun, having a good mood which is more important then most know, and not washing my face. Telling people to put chemicals on their face, washing overkill, taking drugs, is what is horrible. You shouldn't be telling anyone to go down that path, as that path just leads to more years of acne. Remove it once and for all the correct way, fixing yourself. If you notice 3rd world countries acne is nothing, if anyone has it is only mild, where as western societies have full blown acne cases all over the place. It's diet and lifestyle, that's a fact. If I get a breakout it's when I get lazy and eat typical american food, I go right back to diet and acne goes away..

You can believe that acne is all genes and you can do nothing about it, but that's just a pathetic excuse.

I love how people make blanket statements about people in asia's skin, or people in 3rd world countries skin (because we all know that the people in 3rd world countries are so well nourished), when they site not one single fact or statistic. What message board did you read that on? You don't know anything about the skin of people in 3rd world countries...PLEASE!

You can cure anything with diet??? Really? Go tell someone with Aids that, or cancer. Or bi-polar disorder. Please. I'm not saying living a hollistic lifestyle isn't beneficial in many ways, but it's not going to solve many health problems. Is there a small number of people who it might cure? Maybe. But for the vast majority we're gonna benefit from medical science and not just from eating salads, taking fish oil, and taking WAY more than the suggested amount of vitamin supplements.

If you've found balance in your life, that's great. But most of the advocated methods, diets, fasts, liver purges, and supplement dosages that's suggested on these boards and by many "acne cure" websites/diets/books, is totally extreme and unhelpful. It boarders on the line of eating disorder, if not down-right crosses it. It flies in the face of common sense, and takes over your life.

I've been ASTOUNDED by the amount of similarities I've had with people who struggle with weight issues, in terms of what we are willing to subject our bodies to in order to resolve our problem, the whole time saying it's "natural", good, hollistic, that the "convential" way is bogus, etc, all simply to make our selves more "pretty". Lets be real here. Again, I'm a life long acne sufferer, and there's nothing wrong with trying to clear your skin. I know the importance of getting rid of acne, believe me. But to go to some of these extremes is just not healthy, sensible, or even warrented, since it DOESN'T EVEN HELP!

If you want to say good bye to years of your life, obsessing over sugar, oils, food mixing, juicing, fasting, supplements, what you can eat and when and how, then by all means, follow some of the suggestions here about hollistic approaches. But there are more sensible, rational, and EFFECTIVE ways to approach it. Acne has had enough of an effect on my life, and when you try to tackle it like this you make it TAKE OVER your life, and it DOESN'T EVEN WORK. Don't waste your time. Be healthy, it's good, but please realize your acne is a separate issue.

Edited by Enimrac, 26 February 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#15 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

I love how people make blanket statements...

It sure shows, considering half of everything in your original post is just that.

#16 Enimrac

Enimrac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

It sure shows, considering half of everything in your original post is just that.

Really? I've never had a dermatologist who's said there was a significant link between diet and acne. Not one, and I've had a lot and I always ask that question. Has there been any medical research that make that link in any way? If you ask doctors, they say there is no link. Could they be wrong? I guess. Could there be exceptions? Sure. But overall, given my own experience not only with myself but from following the stories of COUNTLESS people on message boards dedicated to this sort of thing, I think it's safe to say the more effect way to rid yourself of acne is through topicals/products/meds that are made to treat this skin problem.

Couple that with the fact that the hollistic apporaches advocated are SO EXTREME as to boarder on eating disorder, and TOTALLY take over your life, that I feel the need to try and express to people considering making the mistakes I made, to reconsider, be calm and rational, don't be so quick to subject your body to measures with no proven beneficial results (are there any benefits whatsoever to liver purges?? seriously people, what the hell? are you purging toxins or just all the olive oil and other crap you infused ur liver with in the first place?), all the time allowing your acne and scarring to get worse and worse. Live a healthy life style, its good and I'm sure benefits your skin just like your other organs, but chances are its not going to cure chronic acne. Just use common sense and approach things rationally and not in an extremist way.

Edited by Enimrac, 26 February 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#17 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

Think about it like this...Acne is not a lethal disease. It's also chronic, and people love simple solutions. Selling people creams and pills is big business, especially for dermatologists and pharmaceutical companies. There's nothing for them to gain from telling you that you can clear yourself up through diet. They want you to keep buying products that you need to rely on to get through the day. Big pharmaceutical companies tend to be the ones that fund studies involving dermatology. Naturally, if you were the head of a big pharmaceutical company, you wouldn't want people to learn that most of their chronic conditions are entirely preventable. That doesn't sell very much.

Not all dermatologists believe that there is no connection between diet and acne.
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2007/12/16/a_clear_connection/?page=1
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/acne-care-11/diet-and-skin

Another article on the shadiness in the medical industry: http://www.theatlant...l-science/8269/

There's also a sticky thread up top linking to studies relating the diet/acne connection, which I'm guessing you didn't read either.

Also, I notice people who can't make their diet work for them, and get stressed out about it are prone to getting on the boards and projecting their experience on to everyone else. There's nothing extreme about just eating healthy. If that means you don't get to eat out much, who cares? I eat actual food now, unlike before where everything I ate was previously packaged or needed to be nuked in the microwave.

I love eating this way and I'm happy to do so. Stress and extremism are not inherent qualities of a holistic approach, that is based on how much you let your condition get to you. Not the approach itself. Fairly intense, chronic, stress affects you the same way eating garbage all the time does. Learn to relax, eat properly, do things that actually heal the cause, rather than simply avoiding it, and you'll be fine.

#18 s7up1d

s7up1d

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

Really? I've never had a dermatologist who's said there was a significant link between diet and acne. Not one, and I've had a lot and I always ask that question. Has there been any medical research that make that link in any way? If you ask doctors, they say there is no link. Could they be wrong? I guess. Could there be exceptions? Sure. But overall, given my own experience not only with myself but from following the stories of COUNTLESS people on message boards dedicated to this sort of thing, I think it's safe to say the more effect way to rid yourself of acne is through topicals/products/meds that are made to treat this skin problem.

Couple that with the fact that the hollistic apporaches advocated are SO EXTREME as to boarder on eating disorder, and TOTALLY take over your life, that I feel the need to try and express to people considering making the mistakes I made, to reconsider, be calm and rational, don't be so quick to subject your body to measures with no proven beneficial results (are there any benefits whatsoever to liver purges?? seriously people, what the hell? are you purging toxins or just all the olive oil and other crap you infused ur liver with in the first place?), all the time allowing your acne and scarring to get worse and worse. Live a healthy life style, its good and I'm sure benefits your skin just like your other organs, but chances are its not going to cure chronic acne. Just use common sense and approach things rationally and not in an extremist way.

Listen, no one here is in the business of trying to convince you to believe them. No one here cares enough to beg you until you agree. If you are so absolutely convinced that diet changes are not right for you, and nothing anyone says will change your mind, then it is statistically a waste of their energy to even lift a finger to try. Simply, if you don't like diets and they don't seem to affect you, don't do them. That's totally fine. In fact, very conceivably it could well be that diet has nothing to do with your breakouts and I think there are, in fact, tons of people out there who are just like you, whose diets are totally unconnected to their conditions. After all, as people have said before, acne varies from person to person and the most important thing to remember about it is that what works for you may or may not work for others. Hence, what you are saying is that just because something doesn't work for you, it definitely will not -- cannot -- work for others. And that is what I think this forum has striven to prove wrong.

Edited by gobinoob, 26 February 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#19 Lange

Lange

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

I'm not saying that eating healthy will help acne, but I've found that after a weekend of pizza, hotdogs, etc, etc, I had breakouts soon after.

#20 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

It makes me a bit sad whenever I see threads like this. Just because a dermatologist says or doesn't say something, doesn't make what they say true or false. For the record, there are (although I'd consider most to be Hollywood) dermatologists who do advocate a highly nutritious, anti-inflammatory diet to treat acne. Then there's the idea that eating highly nutritious foods is some kind of eating disorder. I don't consider myself to be on a diet, I haven't for a while. I eat what I like and what's good for me, with some splurges here and there. If you're constantly eating steamed vegetables and chicken breasts, doing X cleanse, banking on Y supplement, you're probably doing it wrong.

To me, an eating disorder is consistently eating foods that promote disease.

If you've really read the information here in this forum and came to the conclusion that it isn't based on science, look again. Not expecting to convince you or anything like that, but I do want others to have a good idea where to start. Like you said, you don't want to be extreme about these things. Sure, it might seem "extreme" in that it isn't the statistically normal approach, but eating for clear skin leads to better health. I'd wager most of, if not all, of the people who've improved their skin through diet/lifestyle changes stuck with it because it improved their lives in much more important ways other than acne.

Also, congratulations on the clear skin (I'm assuming from the BP). Ultimately acne.org is about helping people achieve clear skin one way or another, and diet/lifestyle changes are advocated here.

http://www.acne.org/...ar-skin-health/

http://www.acne.org/...ilation-thread/

Also, something from Dan himself.

http://www.acne.org/diet-and-acne.html

Edited by tim12, 26 February 2012 - 09:59 PM.