Photo

Preventing Acne & Treating Acne

benzoyl peroxide vitamin b vitamin b3 vitamin b5 niacin zinc phenol aha alpha hydroxy acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

Funny thing, most people want to treat the acne after it appears. They treat their acne, and new ones appear. The old acne is treated, and clears up, but the new acne is still there. Their acne cycle continues. I think to myself: "Why not just start preventing new acne when you see the acne appearing in the first place, that way, when the old acne breakout is over, you will be acne free."

I thought I'd make a list of products that work best to fight acne and the cause of acne.

Preventing Acne: Sebum Production Inhibitors/Suppressors:

Topical:

- Head & Shoulders Classic Clean Shampoo - No conditioner - HydraZinc: Zinc Carbonate & Zinc Pyrithione 1%
Apply to areas and leave on for 5-10 minutes. Then rinse off.
AM/PM or 3 times a day
Note: You may wet skin prior to application.

Reviews

- DHS Zinc Shampoo - No Conditioner - Zinc pyrithione 2%
New Heavy Artillary for our acne fighter arsenal.
Will update

Zinc pyrithione basically acts like BP and sorta like Accutane.
Zinc pyrithione has been proven to improve skin healing and slow down keratinization as well as potently reduce inflammation/redness. Zinc pyrithione also reduces sebum production by inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to DHT locally by inhibiting 5 Alpha Reductase Type 1 (this is how testosterone causes sebaceous activity in the first place: through 5ar Type 1). Zinc Pyrithione is a potent anti-bacterial like BP, it causes DNA damage and disrupts the functioning of the bacteria. Overrall it's deadly to acne as it practically prevents acne, and kills existing acne. Miracle.

- Nizoral Shampoo - Ketoconazole 1% OTC - 2% Rx
Apply to areas and leave on for 5-10 minutes. Then rinse off.

Ketoconazole inhibits the inflammatory effect of DHT on the skin, thereby potently reducing inflammation and working additively with Zinc Pyrithione, it completely prevents acne.
- The anti-androgenous property of ketoconazole would therefore suggest that the drug could be proposed as a useful alternative in the treatment of acne and seborrhoea.

- Azeleic Acid
I don't recommend yet

Zinc,[5] azelaic acid,[5] β-sitosterol,[6] certain unsaturated aliphatic fatty acids such as gamma-linolenic acid, alpha-linolenic acid, linoleic acid, and oleic acid,[7] and a variety of polyphenols[8] have been found to inhibit 5α-reductase activity to varying degrees.

Oral:

- Lactoferrin
250mg 3-4 times per day. 2 hours after a meal.

Lactoferrin has been found to reduce sebum production, as shown in the following clinical studies done on patients with acne.
- Efficacy and tolerability of oral lactoferrin supplementation in mild to moderate acne vulgaris: an exploratory study.
- Dietary effect of lactoferrin-enriched fermented milk on skin surface lipid and clinical improvement of acne vulgaris.

- Niacin Vitamin B3
500mg Flush version 4 hours after eating supper before bed

- Vitamin B5
not sure

- Accutane
Rx

Preventing Acne: Keratolytics - Pore Maintenance

Topical:

- AHA: Glycolic Acid/Mandelic Acid 10%

- Tretinoin: Retin A Gel 0.05
How to use Retin A

- Benzoyl Peroxide: 2.5%

- Sulphur

Oral

will update

Treating Acne: Anti-Bacterials:

Topical:

- Benzoyl Peroxide: Panoxyl 2.5 Gel
Follow dans protocol

- Head & Shoulders Classic Clean Shampoo - No conditioner - Zinc Pyrithione 1%
Above Protocol

- DHS Zinc Shampoo - Zinc pyrithione 2%
Above Protocol

Oral:

- Antibiotics

- Lactoferrin
Above Protocol

Will update.

Edited by RedPatrick, 08 March 2012 - 01:52 AM.

#2 The Darkest Cloud

The Darkest Cloud

|TheComeUp|

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Just looking at the thing about H&S CC there...you mentioned it briefly to me before, but why shouldn't you wet your face first??
TheComeUp's Regimen & Log

"Everyday life's destined to change forever, but some things are never better than their predecessors"

One Life ~ One Love ~ One Chance

"Don't slip...don't fall...just get a grip and hold on. Don't Lose Your Balance. Dont be losing your balance"

Peace & Love

#3 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

Just looking at the thing about H&S CC there...you mentioned it briefly to me before, but why shouldn't you wet your face first??

I think it drys out your face more if you wet your face first. Hmm, but then again, it might increase efficiacy by letting the H&S CC soak in better.

What do you think? I'm not so sure wether to wet my face or not before applying H&S.

#4 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

SamIman said:

The Lactoferrin is nearly a cure, seriously so much better. Though my nose is still a bit oily, blackheads and stuff.

I'm taking like 750mg of lacoferrin a day :/

#5 The Darkest Cloud

The Darkest Cloud

|TheComeUp|

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

I dunno man, it's been normal practise for me to splash my face with warm water before cleanser....tbh I haven't noticed that much dryness actually, it's just if I apply loads of H&S which I've finally managed to monitor properly...my skin is like tight dry more than scaly dry now which I think is pretty good....I'm kinda afraid to switch up my regime atm....haha
TheComeUp's Regimen & Log

"Everyday life's destined to change forever, but some things are never better than their predecessors"

One Life ~ One Love ~ One Chance

"Don't slip...don't fall...just get a grip and hold on. Don't Lose Your Balance. Dont be losing your balance"

Peace & Love

#6 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:41 AM

I dunno man, it's been normal practise for me to splash my face with warm water before cleanser....tbh I haven't noticed that much dryness actually, it's just if I apply loads of H&S which I've finally managed to monitor properly...my skin is like tight dry more than scaly dry now which I think is pretty good....I'm kinda afraid to switch up my regime atm....haha

wet face it is then. Will change.

#7 Highlight

Highlight

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

The no-sex rule is legit then? That's just unfair for acne sufferers.

#8 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

New Product!

DHS Zinc Shampoo - Zinc Pyrithione 2%

Edited by RedPatrick, 02 March 2012 - 01:57 AM.

#9 SandonD

SandonD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

Hey man, can you tell me more about the Nizoral? I'm actually considering it...

#10 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

Simply put, Nizoral reduces sebum production. Use it once a day or twice a day, after cleansing skin - wait for skin to dry.

#11 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

It's also an Anti-Androgen. Which means it reduces the inflammatory response and hyperkeratinization caused by local testosterone conversion to DHT via 5ar1.

#12 princessdaphne

princessdaphne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

I might try the H&S approach, but doesn't that only help if it's folliculitis? I could be completely wrong about that, so I'd like to know! :)

#13 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

H&S contains Zinc Pyrithione. Many people feel that the H&S doesn't do much for their acne. But I say you gotta stack it with something else to get better results. H&S will only be good if your acne is very very mild.

I had a spot on my cheek. Very tiny, but I could feel it. Ugh, So I squeezed it, and got the sebum completely outta there. But damn, I was left with a red and inflamed pimple which was healing very slowly. What to do? Put on some H&S on the area, let it dry, wash off, and a few hours later, GONE! Would you believe that? Literally gone from my face and healed up. Amazing stuff that Zinc.

Zinc pyrithione basically acts like BP and sorta like Accutane.
Zinc pyrithione has been proven to improve skin healing and slow down keratinization as well as potently reduce inflammation/redness. Zinc pyrithione also reduces sebum production by inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to DHT locally by inhibiting 5 Alpha Reductase Type 1 (this is how testosterone causes sebaceous activity in the first place: through 5ar Type 1). Zinc Pyrithione is a potent anti-bacterial like BP, it causes DNA damage and disrupts the functioning of the bacteria. Overrall it's deadly to acne as it practically prevents acne, and kills existing acne. Miracle.