whitehead whiteheads blackhead blackheads pop pus vitamin b calcium zinc

6 replies to this topic

#1 raptorjesus

raptorjesus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Sooo... Well, I've got acne. I'm 18 years old Male and it has become much worse in the recent few months (since about September, it has really started to bother me) with a slight improvement within the last couple or so weeks. I used to have light acne ever since I was about 14 (I'm putting that down to puberty but since I'm 18, I'm starting to worry. What if I'm past puberty and I've still got acne?!) but back then it was normal and while it did bother me, it was nowhere near as bad as it is now. I'll break the post down into sections since I'll assume its going to be quite a hefty read for those that bother. I definitely have a sensitive skin since lots of products can either really dry out my face or just make it turn red/rashy.

Where is it and what is it like?
Well, generally it is the worst (by far) around the chin and you could even say the jaw line. I also get it at a much smaller extent on my forehead and neck but the chin is the part that worries be the most. I've also got blackheads around on my nose and especially on the sides but once again, I can get that sorted once I get rid of the chin acne (however, if I can combine the chin treatment with treating the nose too then all the better). Overall (apart from nose), the acne mostly consists of either pustules or whiteheads (red spot with a white head) and in very rare cases, I have gotten a larger spot that was like a little mountain without a visible head (but as I said, these are very rare and I've only ever had them a handful of times). The way that my acne works is that it's always different. I mean, I rarely get spots in the same place, usually they're just random and they come and go as they please. Typically it's about 3 - 10 pustules/whiteheads on my chin and maybe a couple elsewhere (but this can change drastically).

What have I tried so far?
Well, my current regime (on and off but I tend to stick with this when I see that the "new" thing I've tried isn't working) is washing face with Bulldog Original Face Wash (its super gentle, has no fragrance or alcohol and brilliant ingredients.) and then moisturise with Bulldog Original Moisturiser (again, super gentle. Has no fragnance, no alcohol, brilliant ingredients and moisturises like a beast). I do this twice a day (morning, wash face before shower, moisturise face before leaving house. evening, before bed I wash my face and then moisturise once it has dried). Beside this I also take Zinc Picolinate 50mg (after breakfast) and Cod Liver Oil 1000g (at the same as the Zinc). I also used to take Vitamin B Complex and Calcium when I started taking these supplements (~ a month ago, maybe a bit more) but I cut out the Vitamin B because I thought that it might be the reason that I felt so sleepy and the Calcium because I thought that it might interfere with the Zinc. Occasionally (no more than 2 - 3 times a week), I scrub my face with Bulldog Original Face Scrub (as you can see, I like the brand. Again, scrubs pretty damn well and has no harmful ingredients).

Here's a list of the things that I've tried so far:
  • Zinc Picolinate 50mg - I read many posts regarding Zinc as the only supplement that works and I thought I might as well give it a go. After lots of pain in the arse getting it (within the UK, it's impossible to get it at the high street so I ended up getting it from Amazon), I went for Zinc Picolinate (since there are at least 5 different types, I couldn't decide myself and ended up searching for an answer. Some dodgy link said that Picolinate is absorbed the best so I just trusted that). It has been about a month since and I can't see any improvement whatsoever. I realise that it might not be enough time to go ahead and write it off but I doubt it's going to be some miracle cure and it doesn't mean I'll stop taking it either way (got plenty of pills left).
  • Stuff from Murad - When my acne first started to become worse (as I said, around September), I went ahead and bought some kit from Murad that contained all that was in the Acne complex kit but was named differently. I hadn't read any reviews on Acne.org (even though I wish I had) so I wasn't aware about how this might or might not work. Turns out that it just made everything a lot worse. I followed the instructions with the 4 piece regime and after about 4 days, I woke up with a tomato red face that was almost like a rash. I of course, stopped using it straight away and the red face went away after about a week. Haven't touched that stuff since and I doubt that I'll ever will.
  • Lots of high street scrubs, washes, moisturisers - Over all these years of having acne, I've tried a pretty big range of washes, scrubs, moisturisers. All the stuff was aimed for "acne-prone skin" (or some similar, marketing bullshit). Garnier, Oxy, Clean'n'Clear, Clearasil and others are just some of the names that I've tried and as far as my memory serves, nothing has been revolutionary enough to make a visible difference so I've kind of given up on that frontier.
  • Tea tree oil - Years ago, my mother bought me a bottle of tea tree oil, claiming that it's really good for getting rid of spots and I just kind of ignored her. Recently, I found it again and after reading a bit on here, I realised that I might as well try it. It was 100% pure tea tree oil and my method was to pour a couple of drops in my moisturiser before I put it on (I put on couple of drops onto each handful of moisturiser rather than inside the tub). I done this until it ran out (about 3 weeks if I remember correctly) and while it felt and smelled nice, it has no real impact so once again, I gave up on that.
  • Sleeping - This one is really odd but hear me out. For the last few months (might even go back all the way to September but not 100% sure on that), I've been sleeping during the day. The reason for this is that I often go to bed quite late and so I feel awful in college or work. Once I get home, I just get in the bed and sleep a couple hours. The reason that I even considered that this might be the problem is because I never washed my face if before I went to sleep so all that grime that had been building up till 6pm was just on my face when I went napping. I can't talk about results here since only a couple of days ago, I decided to stop napping altogether to see whether that changes anything
  • Benzoyl Peroxide - Arguably one of the most common acne treatments. I heard about the success stories and wanted to try this right away. I read about different products that contain benzoyl peroxide, and even though PanOxyl 2.5% was the most popular, half the stories were success, the other half were horror. So, I looked around and decided to go for the Oxy On-The-Spot since this was by many, regarded as a more gentle method compared to PanOxyl. Tried using it for about a month until the tiny tub ran out and unfortunately, had no results apart from stained pillow cases and towels. Maybe I ought to try BP again but I'm afraid because of all the horror stories.
I feel that I've forgotten something but I'll make sure to add anything if I do remember.

What do I want?
In a nutshell - to get rid of my acne. I know that it's nowhere near that simple but I require a few pointers in what to try next. I recently began looking at different types of face washes again (notably, the Sebamed Anti-bacterial Foam) but once again, a part of me feels that it's just another waste of money, no matter how many people praise it while the other half disagrees and wants to believe the marketing.

Well, I guess that's it. I don't know what else to add but feel free to ask me questions or provide advice. Everything will be appreciated.

#2 Kittyx3

Kittyx3

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Tea & Gaming ;)

Achievements

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

You sound a lot like me lol. I've tried pretty much everything on your list hehe.
But just recently I went to the doctors, have you tried antibiotics yet?
I felt like it was the only option left to me.
You may want to look into that Posted Image

But if you don't want to go down that road, you could look into making some diet changes to see if that helps. There is a bunch of information in the Diet & Holistic bit on forums :3

Edited by Kittyx3, 25 February 2012 - 02:05 PM.

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness."

#3 raptorjesus

raptorjesus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

You sound a lot like me lol. I've tried pretty much everything on your list hehe.
But just recently I went to the doctors, have you tried antibiotics yet?
I felt like it was the only option left to me.
You may want to look into that Posted Image

But if you don't want to go down that road, you could look into making some diet changes to see if that helps. There is a bunch of information in the Diet & Holistic bit on forums :3

Hehe :]
I haven't gone as far as to considering antibiotics (that is if you mean accutane and that sort of stuff) since I feel that I'm not that far that down yet.

Yeah, Diet is something that I should definitely consider, so thanks for that and I'll check out that section :D

Edited by raptorjesus, 25 February 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#4 bluesforgroove

bluesforgroove

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

You could try cutting out dairy products. This is what I'm trying at the moment, however I've only quit for the past couple of weeks and its supposed to take 6 months of quitting dairy to clear the acne. Also, I just recently tried baking soda... it works amazingly. You could give that a try. I'm pretty confident that regular use of baking soda (twice a day) would keep a face clear of acne. However, it can burn your skin so be careful.

#5 raptorjesus

raptorjesus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

You could try cutting out dairy products. This is what I'm trying at the moment, however I've only quit for the past couple of weeks and its supposed to take 6 months of quitting dairy to clear the acne. Also, I just recently tried baking soda... it works amazingly. You could give that a try. I'm pretty confident that regular use of baking soda (twice a day) would keep a face clear of acne. However, it can burn your skin so be careful.

Thanks for the advice.
I have heard about the possible dairy effects so I attempted to stop eating yoghurt (I used to eat quite a lot of it) but that was a half-arsed try and I gave up after a few days. Anyway, cutting out dairy would be awful since I eat cereal every day with milk, yoghurts and lots and lots of stuff that contains milk, cheese or whatever. And once again, I've heard good things about baking soda too and I wanted to try it but couldn't find a decent recipe since everyone suggested a different thing. Since this is one of the easiest things to do, I'll probably go ahead and research more into it.

Once again, thanks for teh input.

#6 raptorjesus

raptorjesus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

Tried the baking soda mask yesterday and well, nothing of interest happened and thankfully no red face.
Will keep putting on a mask every couple of days for half an hour to see whether something happens.

Won't be risking anything else for now as it seems that the acne is slowly fading away on its own with only a zit or two appearing in the last 3 days.
Anyway, will try to do everything possible to keep it that way.

#7 raptorjesus

raptorjesus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

A little update.
Been doing a baking soda mask for 30 minutes each night since Sunday.
So far, I can only say that it might have broke me out (since all sorts of spots seem to be coming up) but I've read that this is to be expected within the first 2 weeks so I'll keep at this for a while to see whether anything improves. I've also found baking soda to be a bit of a pain to mix and put on. While the videos/instructions I've read say that it should be like a paste, it's more like wet sand which is almost invisible when put on and then turns into a white mask after a few minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users