Photo

Desperate To Improve Acne Scars (And Self-Image)!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 skitzes

skitzes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thanks so much for a very informative site and supportive forum!

I'm male, 38 years old, and desperately want to get rid of the acne scars on my forehead. Pics are attached.

Anyways I purchased a whole bunch of stuff to fix my scars and was hoping I could get help figuring out when to use what. Some is from this site and some from others before finding this site. Perhaps I got more than I even need but it can be very confusing. I'm really dying to repair these scars to improve my self-image. I just need to figure out the right regimen/routine.
  • .5mm dermaroller
  • 1.5mm dermastamp
  • TriReduction Copper Peptides by Skinbiology
  • Glycolic 70% Acid Peel
  • Skin Eraser Cream (30% Glycolic + Lactic + Ascorbic + Other Ingrediants) by ZenMed
  • 100% Emu Oil
  • Hyaluronic Acid
  • Vitamin C Powder and bottle to make my own serum
  • Infadolan
  • Retin-A .05% Cream
  • Clean & Clear 3-in-1 Exfoliating Cleanser (5% Benzoyl Peroxide)
  • Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer (2% Salicylic Acid)
As I said this is a long time issue that really depresses me and any help figuring out how to repair the scarring will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and support!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0355.jpg
  • IMAG0358.jpg
  • IMAG0359.jpg

Edited by skitzes, 25 February 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#2 rimram

rimram

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Your scars are very mild, so half of the battle is already won. Have they improved any since you got them, or are they perhaps more recent?

I would think that continuous tretinoin/retin-a, vitamin c, glycolic peels (or similar) and time would slowly eradicate those. IMO, they are too few and too far apart to justify dermarolling or dermastamping (other than for product penetration with your .5 roller, perhaps.) You could try dry needling them, though, using single needles. If so, make sure the diameter of the needles is .25 mm or less (.25 mm is often used in dermarollers afaik, so you will be safe with that.) Forehead skin is thin so be careful and try to poke the skin at an angle making sure not to go too deep.

Copper peptides are one of the perpetual controversies in skin care. There are a few studies backing the GHK-Cu complex up (what Pickart calls the "first gen copper peptides"), but most have been done by Pickart himself, who runs skinbio and also have held and still holds at least one patent on copper peptides. The trireduction is not the GHK-Cu I think, but simply Cu(II) ions dissolved in hydrolysed protein. If it forms equally strong complexes with the Cu(II) as GHK does, no one knows, I guess, but evoluionary theory would contradict that notion. The danger with loosely bound metal ions is that they will act as free radicals and increase oxidative stress, which seldom is a good thing. On the other hand, many people have seen positive results with copper peptides, so the jury is still out on this one.

Good luck.

#3 Nightlilly89

Nightlilly89

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

I have forehead scarring and subcision/needling has helped. just curious...why'd you wait a long time to fix them? how long have you had them for?

#4 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

Thats not bad. I would take the advice above. Start with retin-a and vitamin c. Retin-a every night. Maybe spot treat with the vitamin c during the day(if you can im not sure). I would refrain from dermarolling or anything like that for the time being. Maybe see a doctor and discuss some tca peels or something. Those are treatable

#5 skitzes

skitzes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thank you for the words of support and encouragement!

I appreciate being told it's not that bad and I'm sure it may seem insignificant compared to other peoples issues but I assure you all that they're bad enough to cause major issues with my confidence and I'm 100% determined to rid myself of them or at least improve their appearance as best I can after just accepting them as part of life for the last 15-20 years.

So I've decided on a regimen whch I hope will work out well and yes, it includes some rolling. In fact I did my first roll last night and yikes even with numbing cream I have to say it hurt! Maybe foreheads have particularly thin skin but ouch!

I'm going to alternate as follows:

Night 1- Dermarolling w/ .5mm roller followed by copper peptides and then Emu Oil.
Night 2- Retin-A followed by Emu Oil
Night 3- Vitamin C Serum followed by Emu Oil
(Once a month I am going to use the 1.5mm dermastamp)

Then repeat.

So I'm kinda putting all the glycolic peel and benzoyl peroxide stuff to the side for now because I'm told it's excessive exfoliation if I am going to be rolling my skin. So my question now is what should I use as a daily cleanser and moisturizer? Any suggestions? Thanks.

#6 laineylynn3

laineylynn3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Your scars are really mild, but it looks from the photos like you have some small red bumps under the skin. This could be because of an irritation or allergy to some product. I had similar bumps at one time, and was able to eliminate them by using differin.

#7 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

You wanna know how I got these scars?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

Edited by Nope.avi, 08 August 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#8 skitzes

skitzes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

Edited by skitzes, 27 February 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#9 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

Just listen to your skin. If it starts getting too red n stuff cut back. Confidence issues can be hard because our eyes can decieve us so frequently. They really do man. If we learn to block negative thoughts about ourselves I often find that it totally warps perception literally. The physical realm doesnt change but the way we interpret it does. Its amazing. When i started bieng more positive about myself I suddenly realized that my scars arent bad at all. When we only think bad stuff..... our subcionous mind will accept this as true. So just like that waallaa, thats what you get.
"When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change"-Wayne Dyer

#10 DRaGZ

DRaGZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

Hey Skitzes,

You're lucky because your scars are on your forehead over the bone. The scars react MUCH better to treatment when you are over bone like that, and your forehead skin already looks pretty tight, so this is a good starting point.

I would abandon the emu oil altogether. Emu oil is considered to be a panacea and doesn't actually do anything. There is no actual scientific evidence that suggests emu oil does anything at all, unlike vitamin C and Retin-A which have had extensive studies outlining their efficacy on collagen production.

Your procedure otherwise looks solid. Keep it up, bro, and I hope it works out for you!

#11 Nightlilly89

Nightlilly89

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:48 AM

Topicals aren't going to do anything unless you cause controlled injury to the area.

#12 DRaGZ

DRaGZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

Topicals aren't going to do anything unless you cause controlled injury to the area.

Yeah, that's why he's applying them after dermarolling...>_>