Photo

Clearing Acne Through Diet, Complications

vitamin vitamins calcium red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny P

Jenny P

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:07 AM

I have some questions.

Why does my bro get to eat whatever he wants n still be clear?
So my brother went on a really reallly strict diet before. Before the diet he has very mild acne on his chin. Then when he went on the really strict diet his acne went away completely. He also developed an eating disorder and got scary skinny. When he was forced to eat 'normal' food, he started to break out very terribly all of a sudden, which lasted for a while. Then, after eating whatever he wanted fo a long period of time his acne just went away eventually, and now his red marks are gone too and his skin looks nice. And he still eats whatever he wants. He eats rice and oily stews, and eggos!! And even ice cream.

So what does this tell you about acne? Is it possible that if you eat a certain way, your body can get used to it/immune to it and stop producing acne? Or something??

Also, don't you think these acne diets can lessen your quality of life because you miss out on the good food non-acne sufferers get to eat without any problems. They have perfect clear skin and eat rice and beans and experience no change in their skin. Doesn't this bother you, while you have to suffer with a plain salad?

Also, can't the acne diets cause eating disorders?
I had an eating disorder before that caused bad health problems all because i had extreme fear over food. I even went trough a period of eating plain boring food to binging on junk which obviously isn't healthy.

Why worry about food if it's only gonna cause eating disorders and nutrient deficiencies? You are suppost to eat a wide variety of food to make sure you are getting nutrients and vitamins from a variety of sources so that your body can be healthy, but these acne diets prevent that from happening....

For example, you can only get enough nutrients for your bones by not ONLY consuming calcium but there are other nutrients that you need along with calcium to keep your bones strong...and the only way to get all of them is to eat a wide range of food. So wouldn't it be safer to just avoid sugar and junk food - the real health destroyers.

#2 Sasch83

Sasch83

Veteran Member

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:33 AM

Hello, i understand your frustration level regarding food. I myself feel that severley restricting your diet to just say vegetables and water is very unhealthy. Our bodies do need a wide variety of WHOLE and NUTRITIOUS food. But most of the crap out there that we consider to be food, we can do without or at least eat on a very limited basis.

The body doesn't need or benefit from refined foods
The body doesn't need or benefit from processed food

Whether or not you choose to drink/eat dairy, meat and healthier grains is strictly up to you and how those things affect your body.

I believe in moderation of food. And the point at which severely limiting your enjoyment of nutritious and whole foods in order to become acne free (ex: drinking only water or eating say 1000 calories a day of just vegetables) becomes priority number one at the expense of your happiness and not living your life, then in my opinion it's not worth it.

Acne diets can turn into eating disorders if you let it. Remember that diet is important but we're in no way, shape or form meant to starve ourselves and not enjoy 'good for you' foods. Also, diet may not be the root cause of your acne so don't go overboard with it.

In regards to your brother, eating like crap eventually catches up with everyone sooner or later so look healthy eating as an investment in your overall health for life.

Good Luck in your quest to find what works for you!

#3 BitterSweet098

BitterSweet098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

I have read some of your other posts, and one said that when you went on a raw diet your acne cleared, but within days of eating rice, dairy, and processed food it came back. Have you tried cutting dairy, high glycemic foods, and processed foods? Take this one step at a time. You sound very over-whelmed. Though I was too at first. Obviously, if you had a previous eating disorder then you should be cautious. Don't be afraid to eat food. Find replacments to eat. There is even super healthy alternatives to pizza crust in the pinned threads. Research. I too am very new to diet change and learning. But, for example I traded my daily white pasta for Quinoa. My body seems to love quinoa. It has a GI of 53, GL of 13, and 25 carbs, I think. I can use it from breakfast to dinner. This is where your research comes in. Keep a food journal, listen to your body.

So far, I have cut dairy, high GI foods, and processed foods. I have had really no major new breakouts. Dairy has seemed to get rid of the pimples on my cheeks/temple. The high GI foods have seemed to clear it from my chin/forehead. It is too early to tell if this will work permanently, however. But, my fingers are crossed and I am optimistic nonetheless.

#4 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Eat more saturated fat. The tastiest, healthiest thing you can eat. It's really that fucking easy. Vegetables also taste AMAZING. Cook em, add butter, olive oil, coconut oil, or spices. Herbs. AMAZING!

Far too many people are addicted to the sugar hormone spike of junk food, "oh fuck yeah, feel the endorphins!" That's your body attacking itself. Real food nourishes you inside and makes you feel 1000 times better once you get past the SHIT. It also doesn't CONTROL you, you eat when you're hungry, not when your sugar levels drop or you need a hit.

Healthy diets ARE THE TASTIEST! When your body craves ACTUAL NUTRIENTS and not things DISGUISED as food that are 70% carbs, or Preservative 407, everything starts to make sense. Life gets so much better.

#5 Jenny P

Jenny P

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hello, i understand your frustration level regarding food. I myself feel that severley restricting your diet to just say vegetables and water is very unhealthy. Our bodies do need a wide variety of WHOLE and NUTRITIOUS food. But most of the crap out there that we consider to be food, we can do without or at least eat on a very limited basis.

The body doesn't need or benefit from refined foods
The body doesn't need or benefit from processed food

Whether or not you choose to drink/eat dairy, meat and healthier grains is strictly up to you and how those things affect your body.

I believe in moderation of food. And the point at which severely limiting your enjoyment of nutritious and whole foods in order to become acne free (ex: drinking only water or eating say 1000 calories a day of just vegetables) becomes priority number one at the expense of your happiness and not living your life, then in my opinion it's not worth it.

Acne diets can turn into eating disorders if you let it. Remember that diet is important but we're in no way, shape or form meant to starve ourselves and not enjoy 'good for you' foods. Also, diet may not be the root cause of your acne so don't go overboard with it.

In regards to your brother, eating like crap eventually catches up with everyone sooner or later so look healthy eating as an investment in your overall health for life.

Good Luck in your quest to find what works for you!

Thanks for your reply. I believe everything you said is true. The problem that i have with eating healthy though, is that if i eat things that are overall good for your body like beans, stir fry veggies, corn tortillas or pita bread, little bit of cheese, or yogurt...and still experience breakouts it just makes me want to cut my diet up even smaller and restrict myself even more and this leads to my eating disorder.

But I just really want to not ha ve acne and have food not be a problem with my acne curing, so i tried topicals and it did help but it made my skin so dry and i dont want to replace acne with wrinkles. Just like i don't want to replace acne with eating tasteless boring food for the rest of my life...

Eat more saturated fat. The tastiest, healthiest thing you can eat. It's really that fucking easy. Vegetables also taste AMAZING. Cook em, add butter, olive oil, coconut oil, or spices. Herbs. AMAZING!

Far too many people are addicted to the sugar hormone spike of junk food, "oh fuck yeah, feel the endorphins!" That's your body attacking itself. Real food nourishes you inside and makes you feel 1000 times better once you get past the SHIT. It also doesn't CONTROL you, you eat when you're hungry, not when your sugar levels drop or you need a hit.

Healthy diets ARE THE TASTIEST! When your body craves ACTUAL NUTRIENTS and not things DISGUISED as food that are 70% carbs, or Preservative 407, everything starts to make sense. Life gets so much better.

Yeah but, I do crave food that is healthy. But what if you still eat overall healthy and you still breakout? I want to be able to eat sandwhiches, eggs with toast, omlettes, beans, tacos, burritoes....I don't care much for junk food like twinkies or cheezits. I like food that people see as REAL food, the kind that fills you up.

But people say wheat causes breakouts, dairy, grains, legumes, beans, tomatoes, bananas, magoes....basically all the healthy food for normal people will break us out.

#6 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Bread is junk food for everyone.

#7 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

I have some questions.

Why does my bro get to eat whatever he wants n still be clear?
So my brother went on a really reallly strict diet before. Before the diet he has very mild acne on his chin. Then when he went on the really strict diet his acne went away completely. He also developed an eating disorder and got scary skinny. When he was forced to eat 'normal' food, he started to break out very terribly all of a sudden, which lasted for a while. Then, after eating whatever he wanted fo a long period of time his acne just went away eventually, and now his red marks are gone too and his skin looks nice. And he still eats whatever he wants. He eats rice and oily stews, and eggos!! And even ice cream.

So what does this tell you about acne? Is it possible that if you eat a certain way, your body can get used to it/immune to it and stop producing acne? Or something??

Also, don't you think these acne diets can lessen your quality of life because you miss out on the good food non-acne sufferers get to eat without any problems. They have perfect clear skin and eat rice and beans and experience no change in their skin. Doesn't this bother you, while you have to suffer with a plain salad?

Also, can't the acne diets cause eating disorders?
I had an eating disorder before that caused bad health problems all because i had extreme fear over food. I even went trough a period of eating plain boring food to binging on junk which obviously isn't healthy.

Why worry about food if it's only gonna cause eating disorders and nutrient deficiencies? You are suppost to eat a wide variety of food to make sure you are getting nutrients and vitamins from a variety of sources so that your body can be healthy, but these acne diets prevent that from happening....

For example, you can only get enough nutrients for your bones by not ONLY consuming calcium but there are other nutrients that you need along with calcium to keep your bones strong...and the only way to get all of them is to eat a wide range of food. So wouldn't it be safer to just avoid sugar and junk food - the real health destroyers.

Yes, acne diets ( those ridiculously strict eliminations and fastings) may develop eating disorders. However we can always substitute foods.
I also agree with avoiding sugar and junk food moslty( I'd also add coffee, smoking and alcohol), unless we have some severe food allergies. If we don't, I think we can enjoy wheat and dairy every now and again,along with consuming nutrient dense foods in our diet.

Your brother's acne probably wasn't caused by diet. He just outgrew his acne.

Bread is junk food for everyone.

LOL

But people say wheat causes breakouts, dairy, grains, legumes, beans, tomatoes, bananas, magoes....basically all the healthy food for normal people will break us out.

Wheat and dairy will cause breakouts if you're allergic to them! If you're not,you can have them in moderation. Stop depriving yourself and get that allergy test done already.

Edited by amy91, 25 February 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#8 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

You have very confused ideas about 'these acne diets'

First of all. No, my quality of life isn't reduced, it's enhanced. I eat wonderful food. I don't eat crap. I don't eat boring salads. In fact I rarely eat salad except in the summer when I don't want something hot and then I make a delicious salad. Not a boring one.

And why do you think 'these acne diets' don't include a wide variety of real, whole nutrient dense foods that include all the nutrients you need? Where are you getting that from?

But yes, if you aren't capable of eating right without developing an eating disorder, then you probably shouldn't do it. Keep eating the crap 'food' that's made us such a sickly culture.

No, tomatoes, mangos and bananas don't break you out unless you are intolerant to them or you pig out on them in a high glycemic load meal.

I'm underlining and italicizing some key words here that you need to try to grasp. Because I've explained them before in a post I know you read because you replied to it.

Edited by alternativista, 27 February 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Wheat and dairy will cause breakouts if you're allergic to them! If you're not,you can have them in moderation. Stop depriving yourself and get that allergy test done already.

Yes, but there are two problems with that statement. 1) gluten damages your intestines so it isn't good for anyone even if you aren't noticeably sensitive to it and so it shouldn't be a big part of anyone's diet. Especially if you don't eat plenty of the foods that heal your intestines from the damage to compensate. and 2) Few people understand what moderation is. Especially Americans.

#10 12345tiger

12345tiger

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Yes, but there are two problems with that statement. 1) gluten damages your intestines so it isn't good for anyone even if you aren't noticeably sensitive to it and so it shouldn't be a big part of anyone's diet. Especially if you don't eat plenty of the foods that heal your intestines from the damage to compensate. and 2) Few people understand what moderation is. Especially Americans.

How can I know that my gut is healing, what signs? I think that I made big mistake that I haven't been eating saturated fats. It would be good to know that I'm going in right direction.

#11 Jenny P

Jenny P

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

I'd eliminate bread if it was bad for my overall health, but if it's just for acne then forget it, anything can cause acne. It's like one big mystery or everyone on this website would be clear already.

And don't food allergies just causes rashes or your throat to swell up? Not cause acne?

#12 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

I'd eliminate bread if it was bad for my overall health, but if it's just for acne then forget it, anything can cause acne. It's like one big mystery or everyone on this website would be clear already.

And don't food allergies just causes rashes or your throat to swell up? Not cause acne?

Bread is bad for your health. Try avoiding it and other grains completely for at least a month to test for gluten intolerance and even if you notice no difference. Limit it. It shouldn't be a big part of your diet. No empty or near empty calorie source should be.

Allergies involving the IgE antibodies cause immediate responses like rashes and swelling. There are many other antibodies. Such as the IgG that cause delayed reactions that include all kinds of responses like headache, fatigue, asthma. And acne. And then there's the IgA antibodies that function in your mucosa. These are what the look for when testing for Celiac disease/gluten intolerance. They are down there in your intestines stuggling to deal with all the bread you keep eating.

#13 Jenny P

Jenny P

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Bread is bad for your health. Try avoiding it and other grains completely for at least a month to test for gluten intolerance and even if you notice no difference. Limit it. It shouldn't be a big part of your diet. No empty or near empty calorie source should be.

Allergies involving the IgE antibodies cause immediate responses like rashes and swelling. There are many other antibodies. Such as the IgG that cause delayed reactions that include all kinds of responses like headache, fatigue, asthma. And acne. And then there's the IgA antibodies that function in your mucosa. These are what the look for when testing for Celiac disease/gluten intolerance. They are down there in your intestines stuggling to deal with all the bread you keep eating.

Then what am I suppost to eat to be able to fall asleep at night? Carbohydrates make me fall asleep really easily. I used to have insomia and stay up the entire night when I wouldn't eat any carbs but now that I eat bread I fall asleep easily at night...

And why are grains bad for you? Even quinoa? and brown rice? That's suppost to be very healthy for you.

#14 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

lol, I'm not American. When I say have 'em in moderation ( if you're not allergic) I mean weekly consumption of some dairy or wheat products.

#15 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

Then what am I suppost to eat to be able to fall asleep at night? Carbohydrates make me fall asleep really easily. I used to have insomia and stay up the entire night when I wouldn't eat any carbs but now that I eat bread I fall asleep easily at night...

And why are grains bad for you? Even quinoa? and brown rice? That's suppost to be very healthy for you.

If you're relying on an insulin spike to crash and burn so you fall asleep, your problems are deeper than just acne. Try chamomile tea instead.
Anti-inflammatory and tastes better than bread.

Quinoa isn't really a grain and it's fine for you. Brown rice is ok too, although it does have some phytic acid, which you can diminish with various preparation methods.

#16 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

If you're relying on an insulin spike to crash and burn so you fall asleep, your problems are deeper than just acne. Try chamomile tea instead.

Quinoa isn't really a grain and it's fine for you. Brown rice is ok too, although it does have some phytic acid, which you can diminish with various preparation methods.

I was gonna say the same thing, that's actually something my mom does. I have her drink chamomile tea as well, works pretty well for her.

Also, try waking up with the sun and doing things throughout the day. You should be tired when you go to bed. Exercise to break a sweat, maybe do some HIIT. Don't take naps throughout the day. Don't use electronics preferably at least an hour before bed, and if you simply must, use them on their lowest screen brightness setting. Use the flux program so you don't throw off your circadian as much. Relax before bed, take some time to give yourself an epsom salt bath, most people desperately need the magnesium.

As Chunky said, you want to fix your sleep for your overall health.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

#17 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Over time your body will become less sensitive to insulin, and you will respond less to your insulin spike. As a result you will experience a lesser degree of SHBG inhibition = less free testosterone = less sebum.

#18 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

lol, I'm not American. When I say have 'em in moderation ( if you're not allergic) I mean weekly consumption of some dairy or wheat products.

Yeah. But you are talking to mostly Americans here. And I repeat, few people know what moderation is. Especially Americans.

I was gonna say the same thing, that's actually something my mom does. I have her drink chamomile tea as well, works pretty well for her.

Also, try waking up with the sun and doing things throughout the day. You should be tired when you go to bed. Exercise to break a sweat, maybe do some HIIT. Don't take naps throughout the day. Don't use electronics preferably at least an hour before bed, and if you simply must, use them on their lowest screen brightness setting. Use the flux program so you don't throw off your circadian as much. Relax before bed, take some time to give yourself an epsom salt bath, most people desperately need the magnesium.

As Chunky said, you want to fix your sleep for your overall health.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Yes. Also, fruit and vegetables are sources of carbs. Good ones. And you need to make sure you consume tryptophan and the other nutrients needed to make seratonin early in the day. Then get out into the bright light to stimulate your body to make seratonin. Then avoid bright light in the evening so that seratonin gets converted to melatonin which makes you sleep.

Edited by alternativista, 28 February 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#19 Jenny P

Jenny P

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

I took your advice and stopped eating bread, I got some brown rice instead. I don't feel like I have trouble sleeping unless all i eat is fruit and vegetables.

#20 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

I don't feel like I have trouble sleeping unless all i eat is fruit and vegetables.

That would because you have to consume the nutrients needed to make seratonin.