Photo

Here Goes Nothing!

vitamin d vitamin d3 fish oil zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

#21 esa

esa

Acne sucks.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

Day 11

Well this sucks. So depressing to look at day 5, my skin then looked amazing compared to now. 24 hours before my interview and I don't even want to leave the house.

day11.jpg

#22 joannarama

joannarama

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Aww pal I'm so sorry you're having such a bad time with the IB :( I know how you feel with the whole interview thing, they are bad enough without acne aren't they?

You should know that you can get hired despite the acne though, I got my first 'real' job (since I left uni) about a year ago now and my skin was really bad then. When I went in I made a joke about it because I was so self conscious and I thought I'd get in there first (something about me being old enough to have graduated from uni despite having 'teenage' skin) and it really helped break the ice I found. They asked me a couple of questions about it, and I ended up telling them that although it looked bad I wasn't going to let a few spots hold me back. Now that was the last thing I believed at that time, I actually wanted to rip my skin off my face myself with my bare hands, but they told me later that I came across as resilient and positive - 2 things employers really like.

I don't know if this story will help you in any way, but hopefully if nothing else you can realise you have as much of a shot as anyone else? I think if you act like it's no big deal, people will believe you (even if it's the last thing you believe).

Good luck!

J x

#23 esa

esa

Acne sucks.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

That's a pretty good story, although I don't think I could ever do something like that! I'll just have to try and not think about it. It seems to be worse every day I wake up though.. dreading what it's going to be like tomorrow. Thanks for the support :)

#24 darling_

darling_

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

ahh, cheer up! i'm in week 4 and going through IB hell as well... my face looks GROSS, but guess i'm lucky i'm a girl and can wear makeup to fortunately cover it up, even if a little it (it's still evident there though)

and the article about acne can impact getting a job thing -- chin up, i work on wall street and as a girl it SUCKS not looking perfect in a world pretty much dominated by apperance haha

here's to hoping we both have clear skin by summertime! :-)

#25 Peck

Peck

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

yo fellow UK-er, I'm just a few days behind you and also in that crappy early rut phase. Face is worst it's been in years atm. You're just starting on 20mg? Did you go through the NHS? I'm starting on a half dose of 30 and being bumped up to 60 in a month or so, and I'm a pretty skinny guy so would've thought that was a minimum for someone of our age. I'm surprised they started you off on such a low dose if you did go through the NHS..

Anyway, enjoy the ride (no that wasn't intended as a sick joke lol), it gets better eventually!

#26 esa

esa

Acne sucks.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

yo fellow UK-er, I'm just a few days behind you and also in that crappy early rut phase. Face is worst it's been in years atm. You're just starting on 20mg? Did you go through the NHS? I'm starting on a half dose of 30 and being bumped up to 60 in a month or so, and I'm a pretty skinny guy so would've thought that was a minimum for someone of our age. I'm surprised they started you off on such a low dose if you did go through the NHS..

Anyway, enjoy the ride (no that wasn't intended as a sick joke lol), it gets better eventually!

Hey man. Yeh 20mg is low but I've seen others starting on that so I'm not the only one! I'm a skinny guy too so I think that was partly the reason, but also because I've been diagnosed with depression so he was quite concerned about putting me on Accutane. I think that might be why he's put me on a low dose. I'm going to ask to be put on 40mg after the first month though. And yeh it's on the NHS. Good luck with your course Posted Image

Side note: The interview I was going on about went really well, I forgot all about my acne. Hopefully they didn't take too much notice..
Side note #2: I had a bottle of beer earlier, I'm pretty sure it should be ok.. not going to make a habit of it.

Edited by esa, 06 March 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#27 The Outfield

The Outfield

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

Glad to hear the interview went well :)

#28 esa

esa

Acne sucks.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Day 13

So I don't want to jinx myself but it seems the whiteheads might be starting to go away. They are leaving behind painful red bumps though. It seems that everything is taking longer to heal, like I have read on other people's blogs. The cyst doesn't seem to be changing much :(. I have a really bad scar from a cyst before so I'm debating whether to go to the dermatologist about this one. I'm not really sure how long it should take for one to go away..

Side note: I got the internship so I guess they didn't pay much attention to my acne! Posted Image

#29 joannarama

joannarama

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Aw well done that's awesome!! I'm so pleased for you :)

About the cyst, if I were you I would speak to your derm to see if he/she can do anything. The worst they can do is say no right?

J x

#30 esa

esa

Acne sucks.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Aw well done that's awesome!! I'm so pleased for you Posted Image

About the cyst, if I were you I would speak to your derm to see if he/she can do anything. The worst they can do is say no right?

J x

Thanks, I guess you were right! About the cyst - yeh I should go, and hopefully will. It's just hard for me to get there, grrr.

Quick update (Day 14): Face is still getting worse. Out of desperation I bought some zinc capsules today because they help with skin repair apparently. I really hope it starts to clear up before I go abroad on the 21st.

#31 esa

esa

Acne sucks.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Day 16

Finding it really hard to tell whether my face is getting worse or better at the moment. It's definitely getting drier, and it's so hard (and painful) to moisturise around the "active" areas. Moving tomorrow, hope my new flatmates are nice and won't pay attention to my face. Argh such a sucky first impression to make, being during my Accutane IB :(

Will probably try to slow down/stop my updates now unless things start to improve (which seems unlikely at the moment).

#32 Jsp1996

Jsp1996

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

Be strong, it's hard and i might no be able to do it myself but it's all gonna be worth it in the end

#33 MgX

MgX

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 56
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

......... sooooo still scared as heck to take accutane................ been reading a lot of reviews positives and negatives..... aarrggghhh what am i gonna do????? i'm still breaking out this moment.............. my face itches and is full of red spots all over...... sooo grossed out!!!

#34 esa

esa

Acne sucks.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

I spoke to my dermatologist earlier about drinking and he said it was fine "in moderation". So stoked I don't have to give up drinking for 6 months! Enjoying a nice cold beer now Posted Image

......... sooooo still scared as heck to take accutane................ been reading a lot of reviews positives and negatives..... aarrggghhh what am i gonna do????? i'm still breaking out this moment.............. my face itches and is full of red spots all over...... sooo grossed out!!!

Well I don't know if this will help you.. but what helped me decide was to stop reading the negative reviews and just read the positives. Because let's face it, it's only a small minority of people who get severe side effects compared to millions of people who have successful courses. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Edited by esa, 12 March 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#35 danaxbee

danaxbee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

Hey I'd love to hear an update! You're a week ahead of me :)

#36 esa

esa

Acne sucks.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Hey I'd love to hear an update! You're a week ahead of me Posted Image

Ok here goes Posted Image

Day 21 (I think?) - scroll down for the short version, I rambled a bit

Ok well I don't want to jinx myself but I think things are getting better. I'm not sure how people define "actives" but for me I'd say I only have a couple left, and lots of red marks. A week ago I had so many whiteheads it was crazy, with more each day, so I guess things have definitely improved actually. The bottom left of my chin has been the worst area with reaaaally persistant spots there. Two whiteheads there have kinda scabbed which isn't very nice but I'm hoping it will heal and come off in a day or so.

My skin has been getting crazily dry, and my lips too. It's been hard to moisturise with painful spots in the way but now they're going away it should be easier to keep the dryness under control. Areas like my nose and forehead have stayed clear of spots and so those bits of my face have been easy to moisturise. The more problematic areas such as my chin and lower cheeks have been really hard to moisturise but as I said, should start getting easier now. Lips aren't too bad until I leave the house and then as soon as the air hits them they feel super dry, and I keep forgetting to take lip balm with me. They are pretty chapped though and I find it hard not to bite the skin off (sorry if that's a bit rank!). It's like picking a scab, I just can't help it. But the other day I did that and ended up peeling off a thick bit of skin on my lip so I've learnt my lesson. I think I'm starting to get dandruff too from a dry scalp so I need to get some Head and Shoulders or something. I've also noticed the skin around my nails is really weak. Oh and also, my pores are getting freaking huge, especially on my nose and lower forehead. Feels so weird to touch, I don't think I've ever even been able to see my pores before so it's very strange.

I've been drinking as well, ever since I spoke to the derm on the phone. I'm not sure what counts as "moderation" exactly, but I think I've probably drunk too much. I'm going out for a friend's birthday tomorrow so I'll end up drinking then too. Had one beer today, had a few beers yesterday, got drunk the day before that, and just one beer the day before that. After tomorrow I will lay off it for a while, I think it's just being able to drink again which has made me drink more than I should have.

Short version:
  • Have drunk some alcohol, no pains in my liver or anything but some nasty headaches the next day.
  • Skin is starting to clear up, much less new spots appearing than a week ago (hope my IB is over!)
  • Face/lips getting drier
  • Starting to get dandruff
  • Weak skin around nails
  • Pores on skin visibly larger
Overall I feel like I'm moving forward now, rather than getting worse every day. Feels like progress Posted Image

#37 esa

esa

Acne sucks.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:14 AM

Day 22

Here's a picture update. Still looks bad and probably doesn't look better than the last picture I posted, but it is. I spoke too soon about not getting any new ones. One small whitehead on my chin and one red lump on my cheek this morning. Still much better than last week though.

day22.jpg

#38 Quiescence

Quiescence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this but it WILL get better! Its so horrid to have that painful acne, I remember it being painful to eat, painful to sleep, painful to wash it sucks... Bug accident is amazing keep going you'll get there.

I just reread that... Im on my iphone and Autocorrect makes me laugh so hard... I meant to say "but accutane is amazing"... bug accidents are awful x x

#39 esa

esa

Acne sucks.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this but it WILL get better! Its so horrid to have that painful acne, I remember it being painful to eat, painful to sleep, painful to wash it sucks... Bug accident is amazing keep going you'll get there.

I just reread that... Im on my iphone and Autocorrect makes me laugh so hard... I meant to say "but accutane is amazing"... bug accidents are awful x x

Haha, gotta love iPhone autocorrect!

Thanks, it's already getting less painful now. I just hope I don't have another really bad breakout like the first one! :)

#40 Quiescence

Quiescence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

Ahhh Oops sorry i must have only read your first page of posts and replied to that! Just seen how well your doing now haha... It's not my day today x x