Photo

Hype Around Accutane A Conspiracy?

accutane depression suicide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 life7

life7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Ok. So I do not want to sound like one of those crazy people who look in the sky for UFOs and think that the government is watching their every move, BUT, I do have a theory related to Accutane.

Say there is a cure for acne (Accutane). What would the pharmaceutical companies do if a cure came out for acne? One that is readily available for use by the consumer as long as they have a prescription with side effects comparable to other drugs commonly used. Do you know how many manufacturing companies that produce the drugs that we spend so much money on would be in financial trouble and end up closing? No more revenue coming in for companies that produce these creams, antibiotics, face washes, toners and lotions that are marketed towards individuals with acne? What would happen if the 'skin care' aisle at our local drug stores were no longer there because they were not needed because there was a cure? This website may potentially not even exist!

Skin care products, especially those geared towards acne bring in billions of dollars in revenue each year from selling products to us. They would, excuse my language, be screwed if a cure came out. A cure that has side effects comparable to every other drug that has side effects. Did you know that a study conducted among patients taking oral tetracyclines (antibiotics) and accutane showed that there is increased brain pressure and decreased frontal lobe activity among patients taking the antibiotic AND accutane. We do not hear about this with antibiotics. Did you know that antidepressants can cause suicidal thoughts or actions and a huge percentage of the American population is taking these drugs? Did you know that a high profile government official had a son commit suicide while on accutane? This suicide was the start of the end of accutane being commonly prescribed due to the media frenzy blaming the drug without evidence that the drug caused the suicide. Did you know there is absoloutely NO concrete biological evidence that accutane causes depression? Many researchers believe that the depression correlated with accutane is because patients with acne are depressed to begin with due to their acne? It is also hypothesized that some patients may become depressed after stopping accutane because they thought accutane would change their lives significantly, placing all hopes of a better life on the drug. While accutane does make lives better by giving people more self esteem, it cannot promise unrealistic hopes of an outlook on life that is ultimately up to each individual.

What if the hype around accutane and its potential side effects was greatened to place fear in the consumer so that not all acne sufferers ran to the option of taking accutane. What if the manufacturers of accutane were paid off by the big pharmaceutical companies that run our nation and host other acne treating drugs so that their business would stay in business? It could be a simple formula-scare acne sufferers from taking the cure so that only some do (keeping manufacturers of accutane still in business) while the other remaining acne sufferes who opt not to take accutane keep manufacturers of other acne medicines (such as retin-a and neutrogena products) financially in the game.

Undoubtedly there are serious side effects related to Accutane. There are also serious side effects related to other drugs that we take all of the time, although, these side effects may not be as publicized as those with Accutane. I challenge you to start reading the labels closely of all of the drugs you take. Even topical creams and gels have their fair share of side effects that effect the ENTIRE BODY.

Just food for thought. Please share your opinion. Posted Image

#2 Perplexity

Perplexity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

I started asking myself the same type of questions recently. Sometimes I wonder if they put so much into saying how dangerous the drug is just so people go through tons of other products that don't work much if at all before they get accutane. I always told my parents how I just don't like the idea of drugs, that I think the human body's we were given were meant to be able to work properly without all these drugs and products.

My dad always tells me "Maybe there on this planet to help us son" and It's just a fascinating thing to think about. I am believing more now that maybe is right about drugs in the fact that we as humans were meant to find them and figure out how to best use them to our benefits. Now that I decided I'm going to take accutane, I look at it like this. If this drug truly does give me some of the terrible side effects that people have gotten, it's a risk im willing to take to cure this disease. If I die 5 years younger due to complications or things that were affected from this drug so be it, at least I got to enjoy my life without acne(part of it lol).

I'm still very young and I know that I don't have a ton of experience in this world, but I have been around long enough to see just how far we have come in technology and medicine the past 20 years. It's insane to think less than a hundred years ago, there was virtually no drugs compared to what we have now. I believe advancements in everything medical will continue to expand tremendously. People are living longer than they ever have.

This topic makes me think of cancer and the fight for a cure as well. We really don't know what the truth is. People pay tons to have these medications that "treat" your case and without those, where would all the money come from if there was a cure to solve it all. I really hope that isn't the way things work with products and everything, but its definitely scary.

I sit here and think about it and it's crazy. We put potentially seriously harmful drugs into our bodies to get rid of an appearance flaw. The acne itself isn't dangerous it's not kiling me, it's just not appealing to look at, nothing more in the grand scheme of things. Some of my friends think I'm crazy that I am going to do accutane to try to get rid of something like that, but they don't understand what it has caused to my mentality and life in general, it goes so much deeper than that.

My Accutane Log - Started 3/22/12

http://www.acne.org/...93#entry3217993

#3 life7

life7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

I totally understand what you mean. I have had friends and family not understand about me taking accutane but I don't expect them to because they don't have acne. They listen to the crazy hype around accutane which there is no scientific foundation for. For example, they say accutane can cause chrones disease. Have you once seen a statistic where they compare people with chrones disease who have taken accutane versus people who just get it in general? What if those people who got chrones disease were going to get it anyways, even if they didn't take the accutane? The same goes for a lot of the other serious side effects - the scary ones. What if those people got them regardless of whether or not they have taken accutane? Everyones body is different.

I like your dads quote. Medicine can truly be amazing when used in the right ways.

I think that accutane is a risk like you said and we have to weight the risks and benefits. I think that the stress that acne places on your body may do more harm than the drugs we use. I think mental, spiritual and physical health are all tied together and when we are not mentally sound, our bodies are prone to illnesses of all kinds.

Philosophically speaking, life is full of risks that determine our future that many people don't think about. The focus is always placed on what the media presents to us (e.g. Accutane). And then we focus on it. We focus on the scary information packet we are given when we get the drug listing side effects and signing our life away and don't think about how we are mainly getting this NOT because these serious side effects are common, but so the drug company doesn't have a LAW SUIT filed. We don't focus on the McDonalds that we eat with fats to clog our arteries to cause a heart attack one day, the canned soup I ate for lunch packed with preservatives that can cause cancer, the seatbelt I forgot to wear that could have caused death in a car accident, etc etc etc. My point is, lets not live in fear people! Lets make the best choices we can to increase the quality of our life.

#4 Perplexity

Perplexity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

I agree with everything you said. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed and I want to live my life to its fullest potential. I feel like everything happens for a reason as cliche as it sounds. Here's to the next 6 months of treatment, I'm giving it all I got.

#5 Lee1234

Lee1234

Wanderer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

I completely agree with you. With a little sense and critical thinking, the theories suit the facts. I avoid sharing my opinion on this for the obvious backlash of "ZOMG! IF U DONT WASH UR FAZE UR SKIN WIL B DURTY WITH ACNEZ". I stopped using all products well over a year ago, I'm clear....isn't that something.

I like your dads quote. Medicine can truly be amazing when used in the right ways.

Also, I believe your idea of "medicine" and my idea of "medicine" is different. My remedies stem entirely from nature. Plants, fruits etc, luckily when I go back home (to the Caribbean) I can stock up on remedies the earth provides. I will never take another drug in my life, the system is too corrupt.

Edited by Lee1234, 24 February 2012 - 02:52 PM.

"Long hair makes a good looking man, beautiful and an ugly man fierce"

#6 life7

life7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

I completely agree with you. With a little sense and critical thinking, the theories suit the facts. I avoid sharing my opinion on this for the obvious backlash of "ZOMG! IF U DONT WASH UR FAZE UR SKIN WIL B DURTY WITH ACNEZ". I stopped using all products well over a year ago, I'm clear....isn't that something.

Also, I believe your idea of "medicine" and my idea of "medicine" is different. My remedies stem entirely from nature. Plants, fruits etc, luckily when I go back home (to the Caribbean) I can stock up on remedies the earth provides. I will never take another drug in my life, the system is too corrupt.

I definitely believe in alternative and eastern medicine. Unfortunately, they have not been shown to cure cancer (or acne for that matter). I go naturopathic when I can. But a cure for acne (Accutane) is definitely an exception for me! Keep in mind.. naturopathic remedies have their fair share of side effects as well! And most are not FDA approved. Glad to hear your acne has resolved on its own! You may feel a little different about "the system" if you still had it ;)

#7 Perplexity

Perplexity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

I believe a big thing with the issue we all suffer from comes from the way things are today. Everything's processed and put into grocery stores, most people like myself get most of their sources of food and pretty much everything from these types of places. Obviously this doesn't affect some people and they reap the benefits of having this convenient lifestyle, but for others like ourselves, it's a trap and sometimes drugs are our only option. The type of acne I have isn't going to go away naturally, it just isn't. I have been trying and waiting for the pat 5 years without doing any kind of drugs or face/body wash and nothing has changed. I feel like if I would have grown up in a different era where people actually grew crops for themselves and everything maybe I wouldn't have this issue.

#8 angel274

angel274

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Um, no. Accutane can actually fuck you up pretty badly, a lot more than your average drug
finished course of Accutane

currently on Retin A

#9 Lee1234

Lee1234

Wanderer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

@Life7- Thank you. I do understand where you're coming from though.

@Perplexity- I agree with that, perhaps things would've been different in a previous era, where there was a lot less intervention with our food, than there is today. I'm sorry to hear you have such a resilient form of acne and I do hope you find your cure (or it goes away on it's own :) ). It just seems like there are too many "things" trying to trap us into requiring drugs, esp for acne. Highly processed foods, Hard water that damages skin, cancer causing cleansers and soaps that also destroy the acid mantle, moisturisers that give your skin a false consistency etc etc. I refuse to deal with that nonsense any more, I'd much rather use the tools which God gave me.

"Long hair makes a good looking man, beautiful and an ugly man fierce"

#10 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

why then do some people still get acne aftert ane?

tane*

#11 InAStateOfHopefulness

InAStateOfHopefulness

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

tane*

Why do some people still suffer ____ after taking ____ ? Insert any disease and drug into the blanks.

I also personally believe that Accutane's side effects are overhyped. All of the side effects I've dealt with have been non serious and very easily remedied. They pale in comparison to my acne curing.
I used to go by InAStateOfDespair.
-Completed 6 months of Accutane.
-Now taking .05 Tazorac

#12 tritonxiv

tritonxiv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

We should pity the people who endlessly complain about their acne-filled lives, yet are too cowardly to take the appropriate measures.

This is all anyone needs to know about Accutane: If you're not willing to risk everything, then you're never going to gain anything.

PS: I've been taking Accutane for almost a DECADE now. It's been amazing. If my liver ever goes, medical technology may be able to craft me a new one. In the mean time, I have to say.... I'm enjoying life. Posted Image

I'd really rather live ten years of bliss, than 60 years of misery. But to each his own, haha!

Edited by tritonxiv, 24 February 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#13 Highlight

Highlight

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

If it was a legit cure, then yeah that would probably happen eventually even though Accutane is in not yet a cure. It's feels like benzoyl peroxide in a pill for some. There are so many side effects that it's just a negotiation. You can either stick with acne, or suffer a worse hell for a half year. Plus, who knows what remission you'll go through.

Kinda like chemotherapy. (I'm not comparing acne to cancer, though.)

#14 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

tane*

Why do some people still suffer ____ after taking ____ ? Insert any disease and drug into the blanks.

I also personally believe that Accutane's side effects are overhyped. All of the side effects I've dealt with have been non serious and very easily remedied. They pale in comparison to my acne curing.

true. I completely agree with what you are saying.

I have thought about accutane (just recently... in my 7 years dealing with acne, not once till now have i even knew about accutane. How pathetic is that?)

#15 InAStateOfHopefulness

InAStateOfHopefulness

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

tane*

true. I completely agree with what you are saying.

I have thought about accutane (just recently... in my 7 years dealing with acne, not once till now have i even knew about accutane. How pathetic is that?)

I've dealt with acne for 3 years. Although the first 2 years were VERY mild. Something happened early last year which is when I started suffering with really bad cystic acne. At that point I had already tried a few perscription creams and countless OTC products for my "horrifying" [mild] acne. I went through a couple more prescription creams and an oral medication. After agreeing to try one more I started my research on accutane. 3 months later and only slight improvement my derm agreed to start me on accutane. That was around the end of October. Now my face is doing WAY better. I have like zero "active acne", just the leftovers.

If nothing else has worked for you and you're not on it yet then speak with your derm Posted Image. It doesn't hurt to inquire.

Edited by InAStateOfDespair, 28 February 2012 - 01:53 AM.

I used to go by InAStateOfDespair.
-Completed 6 months of Accutane.
-Now taking .05 Tazorac

#16 life7

life7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

Um, no. Accutane can actually fuck you up pretty badly, a lot more than your average drug

I am very sorry to hear that you had some sort of negative experience when taking this drug, after taking it, or if you have taken it at all. To be fair, unless you are a pharmacist, I do not think you have the qualifications to make bold statements such as this. There is a forum for negative posts on Accutane. I think this statement is appropriately suited there.

p.s. If this drug was THAT dangerous, it would not be on the market still.

#17 maitehyman

maitehyman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Have any of you taken accutane with mild acne???

#18 lovely777

lovely777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

yes i have mild persistent acne and i am taking accutane 40mg daily. i have had acne since i was 13 and NOTHING has ever stopped it, ever, i have tried everything and this was my last resort. i have an accutane log somewhere on here. i think this is the link http://www.acne.org/...__fromsearch__1

Edited by lovely777, 27 February 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#19 seroyal223

seroyal223

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

I've been taking Accutane for almost a DECADE now.

lol what??

Anyway, I agree with this thread. Dermatologists and pharmaceutical companies are in no way out to get you. The reality is that internet forums are one of the best places in the world for people who think this way to congregate, that's why if you visit almost any forum (including this one), you'll find most people there conform to a hivemind outlook of "government and businesses are out to get us the world is ending life is cruel". This doesn't make it true.

Dermatologists generally spend about a year trying harmless medications on patients before resorting to Accutane. If a dermatologist is handing out Accutane prescriptions like food stamps then they're just a bad dermatologist, there are always going to be some people who are ill suited for their profession in any field (until we replace all employees with robots). To think that pharmaceutical companies and dermatologists across the earth are conspiring to kill their patients and get rich in the process is absurdity. The notion of a company knowingly producing a harmful product and inviting lawsuits upon themselves is insane. The last thing a company ever wants is a lawsuit.

Point is, cancer researchers are researching a cure for cancer because they want to get rid of cancer. Acne researchers who discovered Accutane discovered it because they wanted to bring an end to acne. The drug was first discovered (in a more base form) in the 1930's I believe, how could anyone believe that this has been a 7-8 decade conspiracy in the making? Side effects can happen with any drug, the point is they found a cure for acne. When they find a definitive cure for cancer it will have side effects too.