Photo

Which Form Of Topical Vitamin C Is Best?

vitamin c accutane scar heal clear mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pord

Pord

Order and Progress

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

I would like to know if anyone has any studies on which form of topical vitamin c is best.

I know that a lot of people on here think that topical vitamin c is BS, but I am not here to talk about this.

I know that there are some companies such as 302 that will tell you that any type of acid is bad for your skin (example – ascorbic acid).

So which vitamin c is best? Anyone?

Thanks.

#2 10yearswiththis

10yearswiththis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

I would like to know if anyone has any studies on which form of topical vitamin c is best.

I know that a lot of people on here think that topical vitamin c is BS, but I am not here to talk about this.

I know that there are some companies such as 302 that will tell you that any type of acid is bad for your skin (example – ascorbic acid).

So which vitamin c is best? Anyone?

Thanks.

Good question, I would like to know this as well. I'm 2 weeks out from an ablative laser and what I've been doing for the past 2 days is disolve a 500mg over the counter vitamin C tablet in a little bit of water and then add lotion to it after disolved. The tablet is ascorbic acid as it says on the back.

I have no idea if this is good or bad. If you can injest it why can't you put it on topically is what I say.

#3 rimram

rimram

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

Well, this paper is quite widely cited: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11207686

pH level should be at least 3.5 or less, and optimal absorption at that pH is achieved with a concentration of 20 % ascorbic acid (surprisingly, higher concentrations lead to less absorption.) I'm not sure many OTC products will have a sufficiently low pH (Skinceutical's C E Ferulic might be an (expensive) exception.) You will also run the trouble of finding a formulation that doesn't oxidize easily, so the best thing to do is probably to buy some l-ascorbic acid powder and mix it up with water yourself every other week or so.

#4 Scars4Life

Scars4Life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

They all suck. That is all.

Anything topical will typically be in some container, which upon opening will expose it to the oxidizing effect, unless it already hasn't started prior to you even buying the thing, which I think there is a good chance of lol. So the whole vitamin C is just a waste.

If you really believe it will have some effect and you wanna give vitamin C a go. There are some patches, which are filled with vitamin C and will constantly deliver it to where ever you placed the patch, and the patch and will shield it from exposure to air.

So yeah Posted Image

Edited by Scars4Life, 24 February 2012 - 06:53 PM.

Hey, it's Scars4Life

#5 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

Make your own.

Get ascorbic acid powder and mix it with water. Apply. that's it.

Just google vitamin C topical recipe.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#6 Pord

Pord

Order and Progress

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

Edited by Pord, 27 February 2012 - 06:53 AM.

#7 Nyssa

Nyssa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

Agree you should just get the powder and mix it yourself. As far as oxidation, I just mix a little bit at a time (about 1/8 cup), keep it in a small mason jar, keep the jar tightly closed, and store it in a dark cupboard. The mixture usually lasts about a month before turning color, but by that time I had almost always used up most of what I had made.

#8 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

Does this apply to the homemade vitamin c?

yes
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#9 oopli

oopli

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

skinceuticals or cellex-c are the very best.

#10 Pord

Pord

Order and Progress

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

They all suck. That is all.

Anything topical will typically be in some container, which upon opening will expose it to the oxidizing effect, unless it already hasn't started prior to you even buying the thing, which I think there is a good chance of lol. So the whole vitamin C is just a waste.

If you really believe it will have some effect and you wanna give vitamin C a go. There are some patches, which are filled with vitamin C and will constantly deliver it to where ever you placed the patch, and the patch and will shield it from exposure to air.

So yeah Posted Image

yes

Sorry about that, the quote didn't come up for some reason.

#11 Pord

Pord

Order and Progress

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

i spoke with Dr. Fernandes and he said:

The most effective form of vitamin C is not the water-soluble form but an oil form with four palmitic acids surrounding the vitamin C molecule like a mini liposome. This is ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate (in USA it has another name hexyl decyl ascorbyl palmitate.

^ Is there a more simplified name for this?

Also, is there anything out there that proves that this is better than ascorbic acid? - I know that this may not oxidate like ascorbic acid, but that does not concern me because I would be making the vitamin c power myself if I end up using ascorbic acid.

Edit: This refers to the ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate http://www.bulkactiv...sopalmitate.htm

Edited by Pord, 01 March 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#12 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

You wanna know how I got these scars?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Edited by Nope.avi, 08 August 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#13 Pord

Pord

Order and Progress

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

^

In this particular regard, needling focuses on
creating more collagen, and so, it is mandatory to supply
increased levels of vitamin C in the diet and topically.
Ascorbic acid is not well absorbed into the skin and is also
irritant to skin.
On the other hand, ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate
has been shown to be the most efficient form of vitamin C. It
easily penetrates the skin and is also incorporated into skin
cells, whereas ascorbic acid enters the cells with difficulty.

Once the ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate is inside the cell, it is de-
esterified and becomes bioavailable as ascorbic acid.

Combating photoaging with percutaneous collagen induction
Clinics in Dermatology, Desmond Fernandes - http://www.dermogene...ogy2008_PCI.pdf

I have read that before and I don't know how I forgot that / jumped that part.

Thanks so much.

The only semi-sketchy thing is that he sells skin products. Everyone knows that in a skin cream ascorbic acid is practically worthless (that is why it should be made at home).

L-ascorbic acid must be formulated at pH levels less than 3.5 to enter the skin. Maximal concentration for optimal percutaneous absorption was 20%. Tissue levels were saturated after three daily applications; the half-life of tissue disappearance was about 4 days. Derivatives of ascorbic acid including magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, ascorbyl-6-palmitate, and dehydroascorbic acid did not increase skin levels of L-ascorbic acid.

Edited by Pord, 01 March 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#14 AdamGreg

AdamGreg

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:10 AM

Therefore, exactly what are the many benefits of vitamin C? Initially, the vitamin helps to make the skin area youthful and also crystal clear. In addition, it activly works to shield the person's teeth, tissue, and also organs like lung area. In addition, it boosts and even enpowers the body immunity mechanism, and its detoxing activities. Vitamin C features precautionary health and wellness benefits for any consumer from critical health conditions, for instance cancers, respiratory system ailments and also other medical conditions.

You will find a large number of organic fruit which can be seen to become outstanding Vitamin C sources. A few of the most crucial suppliers of the vitamin are generally citrus fruit. One particular source that has awesome quantity of Vitamin C inside is definitely the Kiwi fruit. A consistent usage of kiwi is suggested; for the reason that kiwi is recognized to help out with the elimination of cancers advancement. Nonetheless, you'll not merely get Vitamin C inside citrus fruit and also sweet-sour fruit. Another significant supplier of the particular vitamin is certainly green colored and also leafy fresh vegetables, including kale. Actually, kale is proven to be definitely among the most crucial providers of vitamin C.

#15 lalibear

lalibear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

If your looking for a Vitamin C cream michael todd true organics has a cream with the right Vitamin C(ester or ascorbyl palmitate) for topical use. which is the fat soluble vitamin. the vitamin C that most "vitamin C creams" use is ascorbic acid which can irritate if u have sensitive skin and it won't penetrate your skin as well as a Vitamin C (ester).