Photo

Estrogen Dominance Treatment Making Acne Worse?

vitamin a niacin zinc gluten vegetarian depression

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#21 4Fours

4Fours

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

Unfortunately, I had to reschedule my appt for next Tuesday, so I won't know my test results until then.

Ugh!!! I had just written you a long reply with lots of links and was just about done with it and lost it all!!! Going to see if I can recall what I came up with....

Your multi wouldn't be good for long-term, because it contains isolated Vitamin A, which many studies have shown to be dangerous. Instead, I would take a good trace mineral supplement like Cell Food, a high-quality green powder or food-based multi, a food-based Vitamin C, a food-based B Complex, Vitamin D-3, Magnesium Oil, and a mercury-free Fish Oil, like Carlson's brand.

I would also be sure to address your and your husband's digestive system, which is foundational to good health, with a variety of probiotics from good brands such as PB8, Renew Life, Enzymatic Therapy and Jarrows. Aloe Vera Juice is also very healing to the digestive track and might be a good idea to take. Plant-based enzymes can be helpful as well.

You guys might consider adaptogenic herbs, like Rhodiola Rosea (Eleuthero is one, and you're getting that in your Contegra supplement) , and Corvalen (d-ribose) is a supplement that has greatly helped many with chronic fatigue.

I don't remember exactly why, but the Iodine you're taking isn't the best kind for getting great results. Nascent Iodine is a really good one, and I would think it would be a good idea for your husband to take it as well, as he is most likely also deficient. I have found the best deal on it at Amazon. I'm an Amazon Prime member and save a ton on shipping. Iodine levels can be tested for about $50 from FFP Labs. 877-900-5556 OR 828-694-1144. If you're deficient, you may need about 50 mg a day for 6 months or more. I don't think the test is necessary though - most likely, you need the iodine. I would just look out for symptoms of too much iodine rather than spend money on the test.

The Contegra looks to have good things, but I'd want to choose the things that are in it, such as the Iodine. I don't know what types of B-Vitamins it uses. The Suntheanine it contains is also good.

Oh, and don't forget the Emerita progesterone cream. I'm wondering if the synthetic cream is what started your acne outbreak.

I forget if you said you're getting sunshine? What about doing any breathing exercises? A few minutes or this a day would be good as well as maintaining an attitude of thankfulness for all you have to be thankful for--our attitudes can greatly affect our health.

Do you and your husband get in any exercise? Some easy exercises would be walking, hula-hooping (with a 1.5 lb weighted hula hoop) and just lightly bouncing on a mini-trampoline (great for the lymph system, and in my opinion, the best exercise you can do). If you're going to do more than just bounce, a high-quality trampoline like a Bellicon, Jump-Sport or Cellerciser is recommended so you don't damage your joints.

If you have more funds down the road, you might look into a Chi Machine by Sun Anchon (don't get an imitator). There are tons of people online who swear by using it, and it can help with many different things, and it's like exercising but you don't have to do anything, haha. I think you can pick one up on eBay for about $200-300.

Okay...I think this is everything I had originally come up with. I'm sorry you and your husband are going through this. I know it's hard. It's wonderful that you have a supportive mother-in-law who understands the value of alternative medicine!! Posted Image

Oh no, that's so annoying when that happens. I appreciate you taking the time to re-compile everything Posted Image

Please be aware, I was never on synthetic progesterone cream! Bio-identical does not mean synthetic. Also, I have had acne on and off since I was 16. So the last 2 years' supplements and vitamins did not cause anything, something about my hormones is exasperating what I am already predisposed to.

I will bring up multi-vitamin issue with my doc. I was intending to get food-based vitamins before i went to her, so I should have stuck with my gut on that one. I'll have to research about the iodine, because I can't just say to her "I want to take 'nascent iodine', but I'm not sure why."

Digestion: My doctor's philosophy is that everything begins with the gut. That said, after extensive monitoring, my complete and total lack of digestive symptoms, and my history of quick absorption (sometimes too much) of various blood testable supplements… it really means something when she says, "your digestion is fine". Especially considering, with my husband all she has ever told him is "it's your gut!"

exercise and de-stressing- check (yoga)
probiotics- check
digestive enzymes- check
sunshine - check (I live in Los Angeles and get plenty of outdoor time)

If possible, I'd like to leave my husband's health out of this discussion, since this is a topic about estrogen dominance and progesterone supplementation. I don't want this thread turning into a guessing game of "what about this", "what about that", especially since I do a lot of the things that are being suggested. I am educated in naturopathic medicine, I know about adrenals, and thyroid reference ranges, and the like. Although I really appreciate all of the other advice, I'd like to address the issue that made me originally post this:

I want to re-emphasize that my acne seems to be hormonal. I need to do more research, but I have found articles about how women with PMDD have a mutation that interferes with the way their receptors receives hormones. Maybe that's why my body isn't reacting to the progesterone the way it has positively effected other women on here.

I like zinc picolinate --- doesn't upset my stomach and zinc usually does. I take 50mg. Have you tried calcium citrate with Vit D to help with depression? My doc says Vit D is very important to help with stress and things like mood. Continued resistant acne can definately add to depression. I was taken off all antibiotics and since Oct am following doctor prescribed allergy diet like yours + suppliments and Oracea, Tretinoin Cream and Spiro since last month. Sadly I am flaring up badly despite all this good eating, etc. and it is significantly adding to my feeling of depression!

I hope you feel better soon. I too have wierd reactions to hormones. I can understand the progesteron not working. It may be that your system is especially sensitive to any added hormones or changes in hormones. This is what an endochronologist told me...she said my hormone levels were normal but I appeared to be ultra sensitive. So anything would set it off. In the past Spiro has helped me and my new derm put me back on it. It blocks androgen receptors which helps any other hormones in body to have a chance to balance out...and for the skin to not be overwhelmed by testosterone (androgens). Takes months to happen though.

Thanks for validating my suspicions... some of us just react differently to hormone supplementation. I know my system is very sensitive, which is probably why SSRI's gave me headaches, and I always seem to overshoot my thyroid levels. That's interesting about you being ultra sensitive to hormones, I think we are in the same boat.

Yes, acne can definitely contribute to depression. However, and I don't know how to explain this… when I get depression, I seem to get acne. Not circumstantial depression, but deep "something is wrong with my brain" depression. It happened when I first started to get acne when I was around 16-17. Then again when I turned 25. The depression and more severe acne seemed to go hand in hand. And again, not causal… but linked with something else going on in my body. Any googling I do comes up with "depression caused by acne" results. Not about acne being a symptom of depression.
The zinc I have is Zinc Picolinate with copper. I take 25 mg, and it usually makes me ill if I take any more then every 3 days. Fortunetly, upping my Vitamin D was one of the first things my doctor did. It was in the low 30s, now it's up to around 70 ng, which is in a good range. (This also plays into the sunshine advice, since we synthesize Vitamin D from the sun.)

I'm sorry to hear your are flaring up, despite all your best efforts. I definitely sympathize with you, I am also flaring up more than normal Or in not usual places for me. I just switched up my meds a little less than a month ago, going from Retin-A to Differin, and adding Aczone. I have an antibiotic script my derm wrote me, but I'm holding off on that. So it could be still IB for me. Or the new topicals just aren't doing anything. Did your doc get an allergy test, or are you just cutting out the big ones like dairy and gluten? Let's hope the Spiro starts working well for you soon Posted Image

Edited by 4Fours, 27 February 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#22 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

4Fours,
Sorry for over-stepping earlier, and thank you for the correction about bio-identical hormones--I definitely had that wrong. I am really sorry you're struggling with depression and adding acne on top of that certainly doesn't help. A book comes to mind--I haven't read it, but I have definitely heard good things about it. In case you haven't yet heard of it, and in case it might have new suggestions for you, I thought I'd pass it along: The UltraMind Solution by Mark Hyman. You sound very smart in your approach to this--hoping you find a solution soon. :)

#23 4Fours

4Fours

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

4Fours,
Sorry for over-stepping earlier, and thank you for the correction about bio-identical hormones--I definitely had that wrong. I am really sorry you're struggling with depression and adding acne on top of that certainly doesn't help. A book comes to mind--I haven't read it, but I have definitely heard good things about it. In case you haven't yet heard of it, and in case it might have new suggestions for you, I thought I'd pass it along: The UltraMind Solution by Mark Hyman. You sound very smart in your approach to this--hoping you find a solution soon. Posted Image

No, not at all! I appreciate your advice, it's just chronic fatigue is a whole can of worms... ha ha! You are right about Corvalen, it is great for CFS sufferers. I wish he had gotten on that stuff earlier, it has helped him a lot.

This books seems really interesting, I'm going to see if they have it available at the library. Even if it doesn't "cure" my depression (or acne for that matter), I figure it couldn't hurt. I definitely could benefit from some self-awareness, mindfulness, meditation. Thanks!

#24 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

You are very welcome!! CFS is a mystery indeed....very complex! And this reminds me, there's a book called, "Feeling Good," by David Burns. It's the #1 rated book for depression. Hyman's book looks to address supplements/nutrition, whereas this one teaches you how to apply cognitive therapy, in that, your feelings are a reflection of your thoughts (quite fascinating). This book gets better results for most people long-term (and even short-term) than prescription drugs. The intro is pretty amazing in explaining just how effective this book has been for people over the years. Pretty fascinating stuff.

So hope something works for you soon!! :)

#25 4Fours

4Fours

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

Okay! I finally had a long follow up and got some answers. In her practice, her experience is that many people's acne gets worse when getting treatment for estrogen dominance. We made several changes to my treatment plan, which I've outlined below. But she said that if she were just treating the acne, she might go a slightly different route. The 3 things she said she does for acne is Vitamin A, Zinc and Pan Plex (a digestive enzyme). I can't be on the first 2 in their traditional form, but maybe that can help someone.

Progesterone: My suspicions were confirmed. I am not actually on progesterone, but a compounded herb tincture that supports the body's ability to make progesterone. It's called phytoprogest (ingredients: Dioscorea villosa (wild yam), Vitex agnus-castus (chaste tree berry), Smilax regelii (sarsaparilla), Taraxacum officinale (dandelion), and Trigonella foenum-graecum (fenugreek) in a base of organic alcohol and spring water.) The progesterone cream I was on was indeed wild-yam based.No synthetics!

I now have 2 tinctures I will use. One is an estrogen support for days 1-14 of my cycle. The other is a progesterone support for days 15-28. She also put elements of my Contegra medication (for my depression) into the tincture so I can ween off of those eventually.

Hormone Test Results: The hormone test results show that I am still on the low side for progesterone. My estrogen is at a good place, just the ratio between progesterone and estrogen isn't ideal. However, there have been improvements since the last time I took the hormone test in May.

My androgen levels were on the normal to low side. She did say that cruciferous veggies (specifically a freeze dried broccoli pill that I can buy, still need to get the info) can help keep the androgen's in check, like was mentioned on this thread previously.

Also, my cortisol level is better, which means my body isn't needing to be in the "progesterone steal" cycle as much.

I am going off the Maca and onto "Hormone Balance" by Vital Nutrients.

Iodine: She switched my multi to a detox multi that doesn't have as much iodine. She seems to be of the school of thought that elevated iodine levels can make acne worse. As for the nascent iodine, she doesn't recommend it because you need to be monitored weekly in order to keep the levels in check. It can also increase free radicals.

Omegas: I am on a Omega 3 and 9 only fish oil, which I was concerned about, because of all the "ratio" talk on these boards. However, she said we get enough Omega 6 in our diets, and if anything she would increase my Omega 3 intake.

Digestive Enzymes: She switched me from Similase to Pan Plex, because the Pan Plex has ox bile in it, which helps the body metabolize estrogen faster.

Zinc: They have a new zinc cream that can be applied topically that is used in cases where people are intolerant to taking it orally.

Thyroid: Adjusting my thyroid dose to 1/4 grain a day, 2x a day. This should hopefully help me tolerate the thyroid better without the side effects (brief anxiety attacks I was getting, and shortness of breath). She thinks thyroid is a huge factor in my depression, and my thyroid was slightly enlarged. This means it's having to work harder than it should.

Calcium and Magnesium: This one was my idea. I've read magnesium has helped people with their acne on here, and it's good to take those two coupled together.

All in all, I hope the Pan Plex and zinc cream help with the acne. Right now I am keeping the outbreaks mostly in control with Differin and Aczone. It's completely cleared my forehead, still working on the area between my eyebrows, chin and left cheek. I'll update after a little while about any progress I've made.

#26 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Yay!! Sounds like a good plan! You previously said you're not on synthetic thyroid medication, right? I think you said you were taking a non-synthetic. The reason I ask is that some say your thyroid can become dependant on the synthetic thyroid medications but with the natural kind and with iodine, it's possible to wean yourself off of them eventually.

Interesting about the Nascent Iodine causing free radical damage. I think if you're getting too much, your body lets you know. A lady I know had all of her health problems (mostly fatigue) cleared up (after I think 20+ years of trying different therapies) by doing lots of iodine as recommended by Dr. Brownstein, but after a while of doing mega doses, she started getting symptoms of too much iodine, so she just cut back. The book definitely warns of the symptoms of too much iodine.

Got my fingers crossed for you! :)

#27 4Fours

4Fours

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

4Fours,
Sorry for over-stepping earlier, and thank you for the correction about bio-identical hormones--I definitely had that wrong. I am really sorry you're struggling with depression and adding acne on top of that certainly doesn't help. A book comes to mind--I haven't read it, but I have definitely heard good things about it. In case you haven't yet heard of it, and in case it might have new suggestions for you, I thought I'd pass it along: The UltraMind Solution by Mark Hyman. You sound very smart in your approach to this--hoping you find a solution soon. Posted Image

Forgot, I got this book from the library. It totally is in line with what my doc is doing. Very interesting book, thanks for the recommendation!

#28 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

How great!! I'm actually reading through it right now myself!! Finding it very interesting as well! Seems like a great book for overall health in general! :)

#29 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

Mark Hymen was on today's Dr Oz episode naming 5 healthiest foods under $1 per serving. It was just as goofy and superficial a segment as most on that show.

#30 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

Oh no....that's a shame. I've seen some "really" lame segments on Dr. Oz's show. :(

#31 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

Did you know your thyroid was enlarged before this?

My doc is supporting my adrenals with the Maca, as well as a Balanced HPA Formula called Contegra. This has also greatly helped my depression. If I try to decrease the dose by even one pill, I get sent right into depression-land. Here's the info: http://www.sanesco.n...onal-therapy/32...

I don't think it's stress for me because when I was planning my wedding 2 years ago, and my husband was in the throws of his serious health crash and we didn't know if he'd be able to make it to the wedding... I was super stressed, my skin was clear. Granted, things are stressful now. My husband has chronic fatigue and has been out of work for 2 years. We are super broke, and both have health issues. But I definitely have been more stressed recently in my life and had no skin issues.

But that could be when your adrenals were exhausted. ???

I just saw this in the Wikipedia article on adaptogens and thought it you might find it as funny as I do.

An adaptogen must have a normalizing effect, i.e. counteracting or preventing disturbances to homeostasis brought about by stressors. Moreover, it must be innocuous with a broad range of therapeutic effects without causing any major side effects. The adaptogen concept does not fit easily into the Western model of medicine

Yeah, something that helps without causing side effects sure doesn't fit in Western medicine. Especially considering adaptogens are mostly herbs and nutrients.

#32 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

I just saw this in the Wikipedia article on adaptogens and thought it you might find it as funny as I do.

An adaptogen must have a normalizing effect, i.e. counteracting or preventing disturbances to homeostasis brought about by stressors. Moreover, it must be innocuous with a broad range of therapeutic effects without causing any major side effects. The adaptogen concept does not fit easily into the Western model of medicine

Yeah, something that helps without causing side effects sure doesn't fit in Western medicine. Especially considering adaptogens are mostly herbs and nutrients.

haaa!! Isn't that the truth! Crazy how Conventional medicine is, in so many ways, "in the Dark Ages." At least people are starting to realize this--15 years ago, it was mostly just hippies and people into new age who were open to alternative ways.

4Fours,
Sorry if you have already stated, but do you know what type of Maca you're on? Is it by chance Royal Maca? I've been reading about it this morning.

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*, 09 March 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#33 4Fours

4Fours

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

Yay!! Sounds like a good plan! You previously said you're not on synthetic thyroid medication, right? I think you said you were taking a non-synthetic. The reason I ask is that some say your thyroid can become dependant on the synthetic thyroid medications but with the natural kind and with iodine, it's possible to wean yourself off of them eventually.

Interesting about the Nascent Iodine causing free radical damage. I think if you're getting too much, your body lets you know. A lady I know had all of her health problems (mostly fatigue) cleared up (after I think 20+ years of trying different therapies) by doing lots of iodine as recommended by Dr. Brownstein, but after a while of doing mega doses, she started getting symptoms of too much iodine, so she just cut back. The book definitely warns of the symptoms of too much iodine.

Got my fingers crossed for you!

Yes, non-synthetic thyroid. I'm not crazy about it, since I try to be as vegan/ vegetarian as possible. But yes, it's all pig! Thanks for your well wishes

Yes, she had mentioned that my thyroid was slightly enlarged when I started seeing her 2 years ago. I thought it was getting better, it's within the "real" reference range (around 3.0), I was just surprised that it would still be enlarged after being on thyroid for a while. Especially since I was getting HYPERthyroid symptoms.

My doc is supporting my adrenals with the Maca, as well as a Balanced HPA Formula called Contegra. This has also greatly helped my depression. If I try to decrease the dose by even one pill, I get sent right into depression-land. Here's the info: http://www.sanesco.n...l-therapy/32...

I don't think it's stress for me because when I was planning my wedding 2 years ago, and my husband was in the throws of his serious health crash and we didn't know if he'd be able to make it to the wedding... I was super stressed, my skin was clear. Granted, things are stressful now. My husband has chronic fatigue and has been out of work for 2 years. We are super broke, and both have health issues. But I definitely have been more stressed recently in my life and had no skin issues.

Which issue are you addressing here? Skin or general wellness/ depression? Both started to get bad way before the wedding and my husband's health crash. It started over 5 years ago. My adrenals are more supported now than they were in the past. So, I'm not sure what you mean. Is it your thinking that what I am going through must not be hormonal, but related to adrenals? I mean, I know everything is interconnected. But I feel like I am doing a lot right, my adrenals and other systems are being supported, and am in better shape now than I have been. But I am getting cystic acne, which I never had before. The only explanation that makes sense to me is the progesterone supplementation. I know stress builds, but when she decreases my progesterone, my skin gets better. So it makes me think it's not stress/ adrenals.

4Fours,
Sorry if you have already stated, but do you know what type of Maca you're on? Is it by chance Royal Maca? I've been reading about it this morning.

FemmenesencePRO, but I'm getting off of that and starting Hormone Balance from Vital Nutrients.

#34 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

Which issue are you addressing here? Skin or general wellness/ depression? Both started to get bad way before the wedding and my husband's health crash. It started over 5 years ago. My adrenals are more supported now than they were in the past. So, I'm not sure what you mean. Is it your thinking that what I am going through must not be hormonal, but related to adrenals? I mean, I know everything is interconnected. But I feel like I am doing a lot right, my adrenals and other systems are being supported, and am in better shape now than I have been.

I meant that that could have been when your adrenals became exhausted starting the problems you now have.

Edited by alternativista, 12 March 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#35 4Fours

4Fours

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

Got my fingers crossed for you!

Yes, non-synthetic thyroid. I'm not crazy about it, since I try to be as vegan/ vegetarian as possible. But yes, it's all pig! Thanks for your well wishes

Yes, she had mentioned that my thyroid was slightly enlarged when I started seeing her 2 years ago. I thought it was getting better, it's within the "real" reference range (around 3.0), I was just surprised that it would still be enlarged after being on thyroid for a while. Especially since I was getting HYPERthyroid symptoms.

My doc is supporting my adrenals with the Maca, as well as a Balanced HPA Formula called Contegra. This has also greatly helped my depression. If I try to decrease the dose by even one pill, I get sent right into depression-land. Here's the info: http://www.sanesco.n...l-therapy/32...

Which issue are you addressing here? Skin or general wellness/ depression? Both started to get bad way before the wedding and my husband's health crash. It started over 5 years ago. My adrenals are more supported now than they were in the past. So, I'm not sure what you mean. Is it your thinking that what I am going through must not be hormonal, but related to adrenals? I mean, I know everything is interconnected. But I feel like I am doing a lot right, my adrenals and other systems are being supported, and am in better shape now than I have been.

I meant that that could have been when your adrenals became exhausted starting the problems you now have.

But my skin problems started up again 5 years ago. The stress with my husband getting sick and such started 2 years ago. Decreasing my progesterone has made my skin better (but me more depressed). I feel like I am being talked out of the fact that this is hormonal.

#36 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

She did say that cruciferous veggies (specifically a freeze dried broccoli pill that I can buy, still need to get the info) can help keep the androgen's in check, like was mentioned on this thread previously.

I took this pill. I am pretty sure it is the same thing because it's a very popular one and that's the ingredients. It seemed to help but I stopped it pretty soon because I decided to go on spiro. I've recently stopped anti androgens and now I'm wondering if I should try it again. My labs are all normal, but I seem to have some androgen sensitivity and am told I have PCOS, despite normal androgen levels.

Anyway, I have done TONS of research on natural remedies for hormones, but I always find contradictory things said about phytoestrogens. I've heard they increase estrogen but I've also heard they decrease estrogen. Which is it? That's the reason for my post, because I'm not hijacking your thread, it just seems there are knowledgeable people replying and I'm wondering which action phytoestrogens actually take in the body, because I don't want to decrease estrogen.

You may be like me and just be really sensitive to androgens. I've read that people that don't make enough progesterone don't ovulate properly, so they produce more androgens, but I don't know if that's true (so much contradictory stuff out there). Also, in theory, estrogen isn't supposed to break you out, but that's contradicted in places too. I feel I'm in the same boat as you.

Is she saying the broccoli pills will raise androgens? She said it will keep them in check.

Edited by Prettywords, 14 March 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#37 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

Anyway, I have done TONS of research on natural remedies for hormones, but I always find contradictory things said about phytoestrogens. I've heard they increase estrogen but I've also heard they decrease estrogen. Which is it?

Plant estrogens are much weaker so have less of an impact. So if you are low estrogen, they help by performing some of your estrogen functions. If you have excess estrogen, phytoestrogen may help by binding to receptors so that your stronger estrogen can't.

#38 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Anyway, I have done TONS of research on natural remedies for hormones, but I always find contradictory things said about phytoestrogens. I've heard they increase estrogen but I've also heard they decrease estrogen. Which is it?

Plant estrogens are much weaker so have less of an impact. So if you are low estrogen, they help by performing some of your estrogen functions. If you have excess estrogen, phytoestrogen may help by binding to receptors so that your stronger estrogen can't.

So you're saying that plant estrogens can help, but I'm guessing that other types like soy etc. (which I wouldn't take anyway) are trickier?

It's so confusing. There are certain vegetables that are said to increase estrogen and others that are said to decrease it. I don't even think I want to play around with it. I'll just eat whichever veggies I want, because I'm afraid if I overload on certain types (increasing/decreasing) I'll end up giving myself an imbalance. I think exercise helps a lot with hormones too as long as it's not too overdone.

OP: Do you exercise?

#39 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

So you're saying that plant estrogens can help, but I'm guessing that other types like soy etc. (which I wouldn't take anyway) are trickier?

It's so confusing. There are certain vegetables that are said to increase estrogen and others that are said to decrease it. I don't even think I want to play around with it. I'll just eat whichever veggies I want, because I'm afraid if I overload on certain types (increasing/decreasing) I'll end up giving myself an imbalance. I think exercise helps a lot with hormones too as long as it's not too overdone.

OP: Do you exercise?

Yes exercise helps. For one, it helps with blood sugar metabolism which helps prevent the stimulation of excess hormone production and increases the substances that bind them up.

the phytoestrogens from soy aren't any more of a problem than from other plants. The problem with unfermented soy is the antinutrients that can damage the digestive tract. And are sources of inflammatory omega 6 EFAs that most people get too much of.

#40 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

I really need to exercise again. When I exercised my acne became so much milder. I think all women with hormone imbalances should, besides, it's so good for you in general. And it really helps with stress which helps your hormones and acne too. I wouldn't be surprised if it helped modify your adrenals and cortisol both of which can increase acne.

I knew it helped with sugar metabolism, which is why it's so good for people with PCOS, especially with IR and for ones who are overweight. I've seen so many overweight PCOS women get rid of all their symptoms with exercise, diet (low carb) and weight loss alone.

Does it increase SHBG? Are they the substances you read it increases or is it something else. I have a hard time finding out just how it helps hormones, besides helping with sugar metabolism.

Edited by Prettywords, 15 March 2012 - 01:10 PM.