Photo

Good Leave-On Salicylic Acid Treatment?

regimen salicylic acid closed comedomes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gyroscope352

Gyroscope352

Scarlet Spider

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hey all. I talk a bit about the Regimen here, but since it isn't part of the Regimen, this really fits better in this forum--hopefully some buyers of Dan's products ou tthere can help me.

Basically, I loved Dans Salicylic Acid+ product. I used BP in the morning and SA at night and not only did it keep me clear, but it kept me free of those gosh darn closed comeomes that always seem to pop up around my moutn (BP 2x a day does not help this). Unfortunately, my stash of SA is now almost gone (using it past its expiration date, shhhh), and Dan has discontinued the product, which totally sucks. So, my question is this:

Are there any comparable leave-on Salicylic Acid products out there like Dan's old product? I'm really looking for anything that isn't a cleanser or pad, something that will actually work on exfoliating my sking and getting rid of those clogged pores that BP can't handle. I didn't see anything on the product pages, but I can't imagine Dan's product was the ONLY one if its type in the world, so any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. Thanks!!

#2 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

I've read many positive stories about Paula's choice BHA products. I don't think they're exactly cheap, though (at least, not over here).

#3 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

You might check out this list of high-quality BHAs (SAs): http://www.beautyped...ls.aspx?bcid=35 I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid and like it a lot. All of her stuff is very well-formulated. It looks like her brand might be the only one with a leave-on option--the others look to be masks and actual moisturizers. With the BHA liquid, you apply it after applying toner and before applying a moisturizer. Good luck! :)

#4 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

i've used a couple bha products. i despise Paula's products, over priced and full of crap ingredients/preservatives imo.

http://www.amazon.co...&sr=1-1-catcorr

that is what i have used time and time again. it works, but u have to apply it religously. i think if the pH was lower it would be better and more effective. its cheap.

#5 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

The Neutrogena product listed above has good reviews from Paula's site, and per ounce, it's $1 cheaper than her liquid BHA. However, it contains fragrance, which is a major skin-irritant. Neutrogena definitely isn't all-natural and has not so great ingredients as well, but Paula's line isn't all-natural either. All-natural lines didn't work well for me, which is why I started using her products. She does extensive research, and her products are very well-formulated to actually do what they say. She only uses ingredients that have been well-researched and are not known skin-irritants.

#6 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

The Neutrogena product listed above has good reviews from Paula's site, and per ounce, it's $1 cheaper than her liquid BHA. However, it contains fragrance, which is a major skin-irritant. Neutrogena definitely isn't all-natural and has not so great ingredients as well, but Paula's line isn't all-natural either. All-natural lines didn't work well for me, which is why I started using her products. She does extensive research, and her products are very well-formulated to actually do what they say. She only uses ingredients that have been well-researched and are not known skin-irritants.

i've tried many products from her line so its just not one. each resulted in bad results. Preferably you want the active ingredient and little of anything else to prevent irritation and prevent further clogged pores. Her products became very irritating after continual use.

both companies uses not so good ingredients thats why im switching to something else that is basically pure SA 2% at 1.9ph that way there are no preservatives or any other junk in it. to me though this is just pathetic on behalf of PC

Active: Salicylic Acid 2%; Inactive: Water, Dipropylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate , Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Allantoin , Panthenol , PEG/PPG-17/6/Copolymer, Methyl Gluceth-20, Glycereth-26 , Bis-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane , Sodium Hydroxide , Sodium Metabisulfite, Tetrasodium EDTA.

over half of them are slipping agents.. give me what i want not all this crap...

compared to what im getting: Purified Water, Alcohol, Salicylic Acid. Sounds better, looks better.

granted alcohol is not tolerated by everyone the same but i think the trade off is better than a whole bunch of crap slip agents, thickeners and bogus chemically made anti irritants. each to his own but i like mine better.

#7 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

^ I definitely like the idea of more natural, but I have yet to come across an all-natural line that's really well formulated, has thoroughly researched all the ingredients, etc. As for Paula's Products, you can look up information about the ingredients here:http://www.cosmetics...ctionary/A.aspx Many of those ingredients I believe help the salicylic acid to work better? I'm not sure that putting alcohol on your skin in such high concentration is a good idea or how it might interfere with salicylic acid? http://www.cosmetics...53/alcohol.aspx

#8 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

^ Agreed. Since it's a 2% SA product, it means that 98% has to be something else. Better use well-researched ingredients that are not irritating, instead of alcohol as the second ingredient. The only questionable ingredients in PC's product are sodium hydroxide and sodium metabisulfite, but they're so far down the ingredient list that they most likely won't cause any trouble. But -like k3tchup mentioned- to each their own. And I do think PC's products are overpriced. Many people like her products, though, you can't really put a price tag on something that works.

#9 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Yea im hoping the alcohol isnt so bad, the current witch hazel toner i use does have alcohol in it but im switching to one with out.

i might only use it a couple times a week as that would be better for my skin.

#10 Gyroscope352

Gyroscope352

Scarlet Spider

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Thanks guys. I totally forgot about Paula's Choice! I've ordered samples of the BHA gel and lotion, so we'll see if I like one of them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks k3tchup for the alternative suggestion, too. I haven't loved Neutrogena's products in the past, but it's been awhile. As much as I love their fragrance, I also don't like having fragrance--I use fragrance-free everything, pretty much. I don't think it irritates my skin, I'd just rather not have a bunch of random smells fighting with each other on my face and body, yknow? But if Paula's Choice doesn't work out, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks guys!

#11 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

Well i went back to my old stand by:
Neutrogena Acne Stress Control, 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment. I wish it exfoliated more but its the best leave on product for me. I wish that the bottle was bigger as well, but if it works it works. Although, i have to use it 2 times a day minimum but oh well i guess. If anyone finds a comparable leave on product with low irritation and is NOT PC i would love to know.

Smell doesn't bother me.

#12 Flyer17

Flyer17

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

I'm going to give this one a try:

http://www.amazon.co...57&sr=1-1-fkmr0

It's got 3% salicylic acid (even though the ingredients list it doesn't explicitly say it). I know this because on their website there is a FAQ section where they say as much. But anyways, hopefully this will help with keeping my acne away and also a bit with the texture of my skin.

#13 Ripon10

Ripon10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

I use Lumiplexion's salicyclic acid. It is sold in three strengths so your skin builds up to it - .5, 1% and 2%. I don't know Paula's Choice prices - I didn't like how many ingrediants they use. Lumiplexion is $22 for a 4 oz bottle. I use it in the morning and it lasts me about three months. You put it on like a toner but it's a medicine and not a toner. It leaves no residue.