Photo

Growing Hair Out, Split Ends, Products...help?

split ends growing hair care

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

Heyy :)
I am a 15 year old girl with long, wavy, fine hair (brunette). I want my hair to be reaaally long, like nearly waist length. The problem is (I've tried growing it out multiple times..) I ALWAYS get split ends!!! It is so annoying! Even 2 weeks after I got a haircut, I can see them again. So, here's my question: I am going to get my hair cut with this hot scissors technique (they ONLY cut the split ends in the entire hair and thus you don't lose as much length) and afterwards I really want to take care of it so I can finally grow it out without getting splits! Also, my hair never is shiny. Does anybody have suggestions for products that I could use to take care of my hair afterwards? I heard good things about Natural Macadamia Oil-anyone tried it? Thank youuu :)

#2 weeweewee

weeweewee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Using the oil on your ends would do the trick. I haven't used macademia, but cocunut and jojoba oil do well. I didn't like olive oil because it was so heavy! I don't know how wavy/curly your hair is but a lot of people who have trouble with growing out their hair and breakage have a lot of luck with the naturallycurly.com curly girl method of hair care.
Also cut out heat styling, if you do that often.

#3 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

Thanks a lot for your tip :) I'll check that website... I never do heatstyling!!! I think I might just try the Macadamia Natural Oil's Shampoo and stuff and see how it goes...:)
My hair only has a slight wave to it, btw

#4 mm..Brian..

mm..Brian..

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:08 AM

I don't believe in products for split ends as such, waste of money. The only advice I can give you is, get your hair trimmed regularly, don't heat style but if you must, use thermal protection in the forum of a spray or serum, use minimum heat and don't do it regularly. Deep condition your hair once a week or more if needed. I'm a fan of natural oils, I use Extra virgin olive oil and I love how it conditions my hair. That step is very important, I do it once a week and leave it on for an hour or so but you can also leave it on over night if you can stand sleeping like that which will give you tripple the benefit. Don't play with your hair and brush it gently with a natural bristles brush. Don't use harsh products like hairspray and other styling products, or use them little and often. And don't wash your hair too often it takes out all the good oils and makes it more prone to breakage and split ends.

Hope that helps.

#5 Lola Burns

Lola Burns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

Heyy :)
I am a 15 year old girl with long, wavy, fine hair (brunette). I want my hair to be reaaally long, like nearly waist length. The problem is (I've tried growing it out multiple times..) I ALWAYS get split ends!!! It is so annoying! Even 2 weeks after I got a haircut, I can see them again. So, here's my question: I am going to get my hair cut with this hot scissors technique (they ONLY cut the split ends in the entire hair and thus you don't lose as much length) and afterwards I really want to take care of it so I can finally grow it out without getting splits! Also, my hair never is shiny. Does anybody have suggestions for products that I could use to take care of my hair afterwards? I heard good things about Natural Macadamia Oil-anyone tried it? Thank youuu :)

Hot scissors = bullshit gimmick

What products are you using now?
Do you color your hair?
How much do you normal have cut off and how often?
Do you have hard water?

Edited by Lola Burns, 05 March 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#6 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hey, do you really think so? I have the feeling that it helps .. I am using the Living Proof Restore line at the moment but it doesn't really help. No, I don't color my hair at all! I don't know if I have hard water or not..?! I get my hair cut every 3 months because I really want it to grow long!! I got it cut today and it is sooo short :( Any recommendations on how to care for it so it grows healthy?? Thank u :)

#7 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hey, do you really think so? I have the feeling that it helps .. I am using the Living Proof Restore line at the moment but it doesn't really help. No, I don't color my hair at all! I don't know if I have hard water or not..?! I get my hair cut every 3 months because I really want it to grow long!! I got it cut today and it is sooo short :( Any recommendations on how to care for it so it grows healthy?? Thank u :)

#8 Lola Burns

Lola Burns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Living Proof Restore is meant for hair that has been mechanically or chemically damaged. That's not you. I recommend Kerastase Nutritive Bain Satin 1 shampoo and Kerastase Nutritive Lait Vital conditioner. Or the Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger line (it's also geared towards dry, damaged hair BUT I've used it on lots of different hair types, and always with good results).

If you don't know if you have hard water, I would recommend getting a filter for your shower, just in case. Also, don't wash your hair everyday. It NEEDS natural oils. And never use a brush on wet hair, only wide tooth combs. You may want to consider have your hair colored (DO NOT TRY IT AT HOME). Most professional color manufacturers have a semi-permanent line, which basically just clings to the surface of your hair and adds a protective layer. I'd look for a salon that uses Paul Mitchell PM Shines or Redken Shades EQ. If you love your natural color, you can get just a clear gloss.

#9 RazzDazz94

RazzDazz94

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

Try mixing some mayo, olive oil, moisturizing conditioner, and an egg.
Put the mixture into your hair...yeah I know it's kinda gross...covering from the roots to the tips (most importantly the tips).
Then wind your hair up onto the top of your head and put a shower cap over it.
Let sit for 30 min.
Take a shower and rinse it out with shampoo and then condition your hair.
This has done wonders for my hair. :o

#10 HapaMommy

HapaMommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

Just keep your hair moisturized with a good leave on conditioner and get regular trims. It seems counter productive but your hair will grow longer and stronger if you just ask to have the dry ends cut off. My daughter is 2 and inherited my husband's fine hair. It used to break off. I used Johnson and Johnson's leave on detangler spray to brush her hair because knots would break off the fine ends. She also got a trim and since we started using the product her hair has been growing and is gotten thicker to the point we re not having breakage. Her hair is already a few inches down her back. Good luck!

#11 Danica Garner

Danica Garner

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

I would try the Avon ADVANCE TECHNIQUES Daily Shine Dry Ends Serum. If you do a lot of heat styling, this will help protect your ends and make your hair shiny and smooth. The product is available at www.youravon.com/danicagarner. Let me know if this helps!

#12 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

So to update you all :) I got a trim about 1 month ago and the annoying thing with my hair is that I have blonde "patches" in my brunette hair from last summer (sitting in the sun too much!) and those "patches" are the only parts in my hair where I get split ends and it's so annoying! I always have to cut my entire hair only because of these blonde streaks..:( Anyway, I already begin to notice split ends again..! BUT I have found a great shampoo+conditioner/mask combo: Alterna's Bamboo Luminous Shine collection is so awesome! It makes my hair really soft, even a bit shiny which is nearly impossible for my hair, and so bouncy and light!! Love it. I also use Pantene's Keratin Repair Créme and a bit of Hair Oil. My hair grows really fast so hopefully I will have the hair I want soon :)
Also, because the blonde streaks annoy me so much, I'd like to dye them. Not the permanent one but the one that washes itself out after about 28 shampoos..does that damage your hair?
And do you have any tips and tricks for making your hair shinier? Thanks so much guys :)

Oh I forgot to add I also use the Alterna Bamboo Smooth Masque which is so lovely - it feels like butter!

#13 blinkiii

blinkiii

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Just make sure that you don't get dye your hair from a box.. I did that the first time and it gave me the worst split ends of my life. Definitely get it done at a salon and no damage will befall your hair (: As a matter of fact, I've been dying my hair for a couple of years now and I think it has actually made my hair shinier and healthier.
Just be warned, if you get some sort of a drastic or dark color, it will come off on your clothes and/or bedding for a couple of days afterwards. Just sleep on a towel in case (;

#14 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Hello everyone :) Sooo, it's been awhile but I still got the exact same problem. As you know I had the Japanese straightening thingy done and quite frankly, it was the biggest mistake EVER. It has completely damaged my entire hair. My split ends had split ends on their split ends...all the way up my hair.
So last week I went to the hairdresser and told him to chop off all splits. Well he said if he did I'd have a bob. So now my hair is shoulder length..(before it was like below boob.:( ) The annoying thing is, I still have split ends because he couldn't get rid off all of them. So now I'm taking reaaally good care of it, so it grows healthy again. ATM I'm using: Carols Daughter MONOI Shampoo (works awesome and smells heavenly), the matching conditioner+Alterna Luminous Shine Conditioner and once a week I'll use Bumble&Bumble's Quenching Masque, which works like a charm. On another day I'll use Kerastase Masqueintense. After each shower I put B&B mending complex into the ends. I gotta say, my hair has improved quite a bit. It feels a lot softer and is shinier! I hope I'm able to banish those splits forever :) x

#15 torre1984

torre1984

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

The hair dye in the box at the local drugstore have similar ingredients as haircolor at the salon. Its all chemicals and its all bad for the hair. As for cutting your hair, have a half inch taken off every 4-6 weeks. Hair grows 6 inches a year on average. If you do not cut off the split ends it will continue to split up the hair shaft.

#16 Marvolo

Marvolo

Resident Professor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hello. Just to give you a bit of reference, I haven't cut my hair in over 8 years (except from micro-trims, which I'll get to in a minute.) It's classic length now, which can be anywhere between the top the of thighs and the knees. Mine's a little short of mid-way. I have a few tips and tricks for you. Firstly, you should treat your hair like silk. The longer it gets, the older the ends are and the more fragile they will be. You should be trying to prevent split ends, rather than treating them after they've occoured. Keep your hair up when you sleep if it's long enough, as sleeping with your hair down in itself can, over time, create split ends and breakage. My hair's naturally dry so I use the deepest deep conditioner I can every time I wash it, but some people don't need this and it causes them to have oily hair.. which brings me to; wash your hair as little as you can and don't use brushes with plastic bristles. They can snag on hairs and break them. Ikes. I'm a big fan of boar bristle brushes, as they redistribute the oil from the scalp to the ends of the hair, thus making it more nourished. Last (and certainly not least) is the miracle of micro-trims. It's a technique done once a month where you trim anywhere from 1/8th to 3/4ths of an inch off just to get rid of the most damaged, split ends slowly over time so the ends are all healthy but your hair will continue to get longer and you'll notice a more even hemline. As for products specifically made for split ends, Nexxus makes an amazing line called Promend that's specifically made to bind split ends back together. It's something like 86% of them with just one use! I used it for quite a while and it does indeed work with fantastic results. The downside is it's pretty expensive at around 13$ a bottle for just shampoo, the conditioner's a bit more. If you can't afford this I'd suggest just getting their Split End Repair leave-in cream. It's 10$ and gives pretty much the same results as the shampoo/conditioner. I do remember hearing that a less expensive brand (it may be Suave, but don't hold me to that) was making the same kind of product, too. Anyway, sorry for the rant. Oh, and for everything long-hair related, advice, etc, I'd advise you to check out http://www.longhaircommunity.com if you ever need any advice for your hair as it grows. The girls on there are great and very wise in the ways of hair.
-Marvolo

Edited by Marvolo, 11 June 2012 - 02:58 PM.