Some Good Quality Cleansers, Toners -Acne Will Not Stop

6 replies to this topic

#1 Taxidriver

Taxidriver

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

I am 31, and recently had a severe outbreak of huge cystic acne, about 1-2 new ones per day. My dermatologist put me on a 2 month course of minocyline 100mg twice daily, and Aczone at night. He scheduled a followup visit for several weeks after the minocycline runs out to see what to do next. Hoping I don't have to take Accutane (I never took it in high school).

I have tried tons of brands of products, and numerous prescription stuff.

With the minocycline and Aczone, I have recently begun using Anthony Logistics 2% salicylic acid cleanser and DDF 10% glycolic toner. I heard the DDF toner is good for scars. I also have a tube of Retin A Micro, should I use that from time to time for the dark scars? I have tons of them since the severe cystic outbreak begun in November.

Anyone have any other thoughts on these products?

#2 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

Please take my advice. Stop using cleansers. Wash you face with water and a washcloth everytime. A clean one everytime. Then, use 2.5percent benzoyl peroxide and your trouble areas. IF you need to....go to a derm and get BACTRIM. Yes, I said BACTRIM!!! You WILL 90% more than likely clear up completely. NO accutane no hassle. Aczone aint gonna do a shiznit for you brother.

#3 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Code blue/rapid response, EKG's, teaching/learning,

movies, music, biking, walking, working with kids

Achievements

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

Please take my advice. Stop using cleansers. Wash you face with water and a washcloth everytime. A clean one everytime. Then, use 2.5percent benzoyl peroxide and your trouble areas. IF you need to....go to a derm and get BACTRIM. Yes, I said BACTRIM!!! You WILL 90% more than likely clear up completely. NO accutane no hassle. Aczone aint gonna do a shiznit for you brother.

Disregard this person's advice totally..

Okay so 2 things you can do: opt for a gentle cleanser as in something ph balanced around 7.0 that removes dirt, oil, doesn't strip the skin of its essential oils, is non medicated with SA. Or get cleanser that has all of this but with antibiotic properties. Its hard to find one with both.

Garden of Wisdom has a Tea Tree Oil facial wash that is ph balanced, gentle as ever and is antibacterial. But i found it drying after use (use in the shower) so i stopped using it. Some people have success with cleansers that have the skins pH balance i.e 5.0-5.5pH this helps the skin prep for other treatments like SA or AHA. Toners do this as well but are often diluted with drying alcohol or added anti irritants/fragrances that often end up doing more harm then good.

Use something else instead of BP, sure it works but its terrible on the skin long term. There are other routes. BP basically kills off all the bacteria and tells the cell/s to self destruct (apoptosis) creating the peeling/flaking affect you see. If you ever read the description on Hydrogen Peroxide bottle it says to limit the number of uses to a small area and only apply when a couple times. Its not something you want to lather on your face-same with bp.

AND do not create more irritation by using a wash cloth on your face. Idiotic, exfoliate gently like in the shower with your hands or something like an exfoliating scrub a couple times a week. And use SA 2% to prevent future clogged pores (can be a toner or leave on product- just make sure its some sort of leave on product, washes aren't effective). Not everyones water is the same either so i would advise the use of a cleanser.

Bactrim like any other antibiotic is a temporary band aid and also destroys the good bacteria in your body.

Edited by k3tchup, 23 February 2012 - 12:37 AM.

A nurse is not what you do, its what you are..I am a nurse: its not what i do, its what i am.

#4 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

Check out the link in my signature about skin-care advice. You will find a link there that gives recommendations for well-formulated cleansers, and other products. Here you can find some reviews for cleaners by skin-care expert, Paula Begoun: http://www.beautyped...ils.aspx?bcid=3 Retin-A can definitely help with scarring, so that's a good idea, but I think you have to be consistent with its use.

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

~Philippians 4:8~

Green smoothies/blended greens keep me clear! Click here

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

#5 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

Okay so 2 things you can do: opt for a gentle cleanser as in something ph balanced around 7.0 that removes dirt, oil, doesn't strip the skin of its essential oils, is non medicated with SA. Or get cleanser that has all of this but with antibiotic properties. Its hard to find one with both.

Garden of Wisdom has a Tea Tree Oil facial wash that is ph balanced, gentle as ever and is antibacterial. But i found it drying after use (use in the shower) so i stopped using it. Some people have success with cleansers that have the skins pH balance i.e 5.0-5.5pH this helps the skin prep for other treatments like SA or AHA. Toners do this as well but are often diluted with drying alcohol or added anti irritants/fragrances that often end up doing more harm then good.

Use something else instead of BP, sure it works but its terrible on the skin long term. There are other routes. BP basically kills off all the bacteria and tells the cell/s to self destruct (apoptosis) creating the peeling/flaking affect you see. If you ever read the description on Hydrogen Peroxide bottle it says to limit the number of uses to a small area and only apply when a couple times. Its not something you want to lather on your face-same with bp.

AND do not create more irritation by using a wash cloth on your face. Idiotic, exfoliate gently like in the shower with your hands or something like an exfoliating scrub a couple times a week. And use SA 2% to prevent future clogged pores (can be a toner or leave on product- just make sure its some sort of leave on product, washes aren't effective). Not everyones water is the same either so i would advise the use of a cleanser.

Bactrim like any other antibiotic is a temporary band aid and also destroys the good bacteria in your body.

Hey buddy wake up call!!! Wake up Call!! This person has severe cystic acne.... Do you know what that results in SCARS buddy. You gotta break out the big guns for it. You tell the person the my advice is bad because your brain is caught in the bubble that you have to have cosmetic produtcs to clear up. I had SEVERE CYSTIC ACNE!! It was scarring my face until I started to wash with water, use a clean washcloth to BLOT my face to soak up the oil, and apply finacea and bp. I didnt say scrub your face like a janitor. Blot your face with a washcloth and warm water to soak up the oil, then apply topical treatment. Topical treatment that is BACKED BY RESEARCH BUDDY.You recoment AHA?? Cystic acne is a BACTERIAL INFECTION that needs anti-bacterial treatment. I know more about skin biology then probbly most of this site. Ive had acne for a freaking decade. You have to clear up cystic acne quick or you will scar FOR LIFE. Who cares if your skin looks a little shabby with the bp SHORT-TERM. Scars FOR LIFE doesnt sound too apealing does it?? Get the damn bactrim and treat the skin gently with water and treatment. People like you should be banned from the site...

Hey buddy wake up call!!! Wake up Call!! This person has severe cystic acne.... Do you know what that results in SCARS buddy. You gotta break out the big guns for it. You tell the person the my advice is bad because your brain is caught in the bubble that you have to have cosmetic produtcs to clear up. I had SEVERE CYSTIC ACNE!! It was scarring my face until I started to wash with water, use a clean washcloth to BLOT my face to soak up the oil, and apply finacea and bp. I didnt say scrub your face like a janitor. Blot your face with a washcloth and warm water to soak up the oil, then apply topical treatment. Topical treatment that is BACKED BY RESEARCH BUDDY.You recoment AHA?? Cystic acne is a BACTERIAL INFECTION that needs anti-bacterial treatment. I know more about skin biology then probbly most of this site. Ive had acne for a freaking decade. You have to clear up cystic acne quick or you will scar FOR LIFE. Who cares if your skin looks a little shabby with the bp SHORT-TERM. Scars FOR LIFE doesnt sound too apealing does it?? Get the damn bactrim and treat the skin gently with water and treatment. People like you should be banned from the site...

And by the way I use MICROFIBER washcloths. Its like washing your face with a fucking cloud, dont give me your bullcrap

#6 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Code blue/rapid response, EKG's, teaching/learning,

movies, music, biking, walking, working with kids

Achievements

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

And by the way I use MICROFIBER washcloths. Its like washing your face with a fucking cloud, dont give me your bullcrap

Lol calm down kid.

I had cystic acne too and got rid of it. BP is not the only answer to a bacterial infection also going "big or go home" on your skin has repercussions. Less is more.

Go be mad somewhere else.

A nurse is not what you do, its what you are..I am a nurse: its not what i do, its what i am.

#7 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Lol calm down kid.

I had cystic acne too and got rid of it. BP is not the only answer to a bacterial infection also going "big or go home" on your skin has repercussions. Less is more.

Go be mad somewhere else.

Yes I realize that, thats why I said be gentle and just wash with water. I referered to the big guns as bactrim. And I apologize for ranting, but telling someone to disregard my advice was rude. Especially when my advice could help alot of people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users