Photo

Anyone Tried Washing Their Face Continually? (5+ Times Per Day)

sebum face washing washing excess oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 tom0808

tom0808

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

Everyone knows the conventional wisdom, which is to not wash your face more than a few times a day. This is said to increase oil production as your body is constantly trying to replace the oil you strip away when you wash your face.
For me, I am almost certain the main cause of my acne is the obscene amount of sebum that my face excretes. My face is positively dripping by about six hours after washing it and gets shiny again within one or two. So a few months ago, I tried to limit the amount of times I washed my face to just once per day with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. After a month, nothing had changed, I was just spending more time with a disgusting shiny face - not what you want! Today, the solution hit me - if limiting my face washing didn't curb oil production, why not just wash my face every time I start to feel it getting oily? This would probably be 6 times per day for me. At least this would limit the amount of time that oil spends on my skin clogging my pores and being fed on by bacteria.
Anyone tried this? I think I might as well just give it a go, the absolute worst that's going to happen is some new breakouts, and it's not exactly like I can't deal with that, it's the story of my life for the past five years. I can't see the Cetaphil doing any damage it's the gentlest cleanser I've ever come across.

#2 angel274

angel274

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

Washing your face 6 times a day? Dude thats every 2 hours. I suggest instead of doing that, you should take supplements to decrease your oil production instead (i heard vitamin b5 does this, also drinking peppermint tea can help)
finished course of Accutane

currently on Retin A

#3 Kyle_

Kyle_

Regimen user since 2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

There are many things that I have found and heard of that increase your oil production, it's all about trying different things.
Actually try mousturizing,

http://www.eucerin.c...hydrating-care/

I would recommend that^ from personal experience, it's for oily skin like yours, is compliment with the regimen, and also it's quite dry, it doesn't shine on my skin wears otherwise I'd have shine, I'd give it a try, after using it for a bit, try mixing it with jojoba oil and see how it feels, I love it that way

New Regimen!

Morning: 2 pumps Dan's cleanser in the shower, and "Eucerin Dermo Purifyer Hydrating Care" to moisturize, works to get me through the day without dry skin, but doesn't show, it's like there's nothing on my face, it's matt and doesn't shine.

///

Night: 2/3 pumps Dan's cleaner in the shower, using the cleanser to shave with a 2 blade generic razor, end segment finger's worth of Dan's BP, 2 pumps Dan's moisturizer with 6 drops generic, organic jojoba oil.

Sometimes just Dan's AHA+, or the usual application of Dan's BP with AHA+ on top if I'm feeling hardcore.

///

1 generic multivitamin, 30mg Zinc if the multivitamin doesn't contain it, 1/2 odorless garlic capsules, 2/3 EyeQ capsules (omega 3, 6, evening primrose oil,)

Have been on lots of different prescriptions, most successful was oxytetracycline.

New regimen!

Dove summer glow morning

AHA+ (acne.org) night!

Awaiting 20% salicylic acid gel in post for chin and nose.

Acne isn't returning after almost 2 years on the regimen

Looking for treatments for oily skin however, I have that really bad

#4 tom0808

tom0808

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

I should have probably been more clear - I've been round the block a few times, so to speak haha. I've tried EVERYTHING conventional and now I'm spending a few months trying a bunch of new things in a last-ditch attempt before I try to get prescribed roaccutane.
I'm just interested to see if anyone agrees with the principle - whether this increases oil production or not, the sheer amount of times I'll be removing the oil from my face should mean that there will be far less oil on average on my face.

#5 Jenny P

Jenny P

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

I don't think it is just because of the oil. I have very dry skin and yet, I still breakout.

#6 tom0808

tom0808

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Ok maybe not for you but for me it is most likely the oil. I'm probably not particularly prone to acne - I hardly get any on my shoulders and back, but because my face is so oily it just happens. I'm inclined to think if I was naturally prone to acne, apart from of course naturally producing so much oil, my acne would be so much worse, severe cystic acne, because it really is that bad, the greasiness.

#7 HapaMommy

HapaMommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

You probably need to look into a moisturizer to curb your oil production. Washing your face too many times a day and strip your skin and cause a whole slew of new problems. i already suffer from mild acne and eczema. After working out several times a week starting last year (I ended up showering minimum 2 times a day 3-5 days a week) and developed fungal folliculitis. Apparently, folliculitis is common in people with acne, eczema and other skin conditions. And I can say that the lesions can mimic cystic acne and they are painful and itchy. So I basically weakened my already sensitive skin by showering tons and only moisturizing after a work out. If I worked out in the morning I would shower just to wake myself up and save the moisturizing til after my post-workout shower.

You might also look into diet. I notice when I eat greasy foods or certain nuts my oil production increases. Try drinking lots go water too. Hope this helps!
My Regimen

AM
Cetaphil Daily Cleanser or M2 Exfoliating Cleanser with Clarisonic brush
Elta MD UV Facial moisiturizer

PM
Cetaphil Daily Cleanser or M2 Exfoliating Cleanser w/o Clarisonic brush
Elta MD UV Facial moisturizer w/ Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

FOR FOLLICULITIS & ECZEMA
Triamcimolone as needed
Ketoconazole 2% Cream (spot treatment only) twice daily
Clarifoam once daily
Noble Soap everytime I shower

PHASING OUT
Differin 0.3% (spot treatment only)

#8 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

People will oily skin should wash & cleanse their face twice a day - once in the morning and once in the evening. This should always be followed up by using a moisturiser. Oily skin doesn't always mean your skin is hydrated!

Sebum production is determined by your hormones, not how often you wash your skin. The myth that over washing causes more oil production was scientifically proven wrong a long time ago. Over washing can irritate your skin, and irritation can cause more acne.

Edited by Avenger, 22 February 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#9 whoaihateacne

whoaihateacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

hey OP, instead of washing your face how about using oil blotting tissues? those probably don't dry out your skin as much as washing

#10 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

No no no! Don't try that out, it not like washing it too much would magically make your skin not make anymore oil.

Infact, don't even wash your face at all. Only once a day actually, keep it clean but not too clean. Your skin cells needs to be hydrated to function properly, washing it too much can diffuse the water out and make your cells more drier, so your skin forces itself to produce even more oil.

Wash your face in the morning, for about 20 sec but don't scrub or rub. Apply jojoba oil, its like our sebum oil but once its applied our skin thinks its our oil so it stops producing oil. Take some supplements like zinc, don't eat cake, sugary foods, , and don't masturbate. If you could do that for several weeks you would see an improvement.

#11 tom0808

tom0808

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

By the way, for anyone reading this, this was the worst idea I've ever had. It seems the experiment of limiting face washing to once a day wasn't enough - a week ago I actually started the caveman regimen instead of doing this, and my oil production has decreased dramatically. I've also seen improvements in skin tone/red marks and I've only had one minor breakout in 8 days.