#1 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

Hey everyone!

I recently stumbled across a website called fitday.com. Everyday you can enter in all of the foods and drinks you had and it tells you: how many calories, how much protein, how much fat and how much carbohydate you ate. The coolest thing is that it also tells you what intake of all vitamins and minerals you had for the day and where that number is in relation to your required daily amount based on your height and weight. It's a really good way to figure out if you are deficient in anything based on what you are eating.

I've only used fitday for two days but so far my daily intake of vitamins has been great except for Vitamin D. Both days I only got between 20% and 30% of what I need, so I'm going to start supplementing. I think this is also really useful for calculating how much fat you have eaten in relation to carbohydrates and to make sure you are getting enough protein. Clear skin comes from proper health and nutrition as we all know, so this can really help some of us who aren't sure if we are getting what we need.

I'm wondering who else out there is trying the GAPS diet, Specific Carbohydrate diet, Paleo diet, or Bee's diet/anti-candida diet?? I've been trying to learn as much about health as possible recently to try and stop my acne again. I did clear my face for the first time a month ago by eating just fruits, vegetables, cheese and eggs but I also lost too much weight and looked unhealthy. I tried probiotics for three days and also added in brown rice, nuts and nut butter and haven't been able to get clear again since. I think clear skin comes from reducing carbohydate intake and boosting fat intake which all of these diets seem to do. Has anyone had any success with these?

I'm also a vegetarian so I'm finding it hard to up to adjust to these diets. I've realized that vegetarianism isn't the healthiest route for me personally and want to start my transition to eating meat again by eating small ice cube amounts of bone broth a day. Then I'll move up to bowls of soup and eventually try some free range, organic meat. Has anyone made this transition before? I've been vegetarian for 10 years and I know it's going to be tough to change my mental outlook on food. Also, the one time I tried bone broth chicken soup I broke out in one of the only cysts I've ever had. Part of me thinks that is a healing reaction though because I looked quite healthy and had a lot of colour in my cheeks.

Anyways, hope everyone is doing well with their diet changes and if you have any advice for me I would love to hear it.

#2 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me
  • Interests:AIN'T NOTHIN GONNA BREAK MY STRIDE. AIN'T NOTHIN GONNA SLOW ME DOWN.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

I don't have a lot of time to reply, so sorry if my post isn't as in depth.

Right now, I'm following GAPS protocol more or less. Most of the anti-acne diets have a lot in common, so it's essentially a paleo diet. GAPS is different though, in that there is an intro phase you can choose to go on to really kickstart your healing if you really need that.

Anyway, I've been mostly eating chicken, occasionally fish, along with a fairly wide variety of vegetables (particularly mucilaginous vegetables like okra and cauliflower). I've also been having bone broth consistently the past month or so, and that has been amazing for my health in general. It's healed up wrinkles and given me much smoother skin.

Anyway, I would occasionally cheat at my diet. Not too terrible, but I would have little bits of candy with a bunch of nasties in them, which did have an effect on me, though not a really huge effect. I'd also eat things like nut butters, and vegan ice cream and other things with lots of sugar. Recently, I've been noticing that as a whole, my breakouts have lessened and lessened, even during times where I'm experiencing a detox of sorts. I decided to ride the rest of this trip out and not indulge in any of the unhelpful foods that i've been having small cheat meals with, just because I feel that I'm almost there.

It's hard, because I just want to dive into a jar of almond butter with the darkest chocolate I can find and stuff myself silly with that, but at the same time, the improvements i've been making are encouraging.

Basically, on top of eating clean meats, clean vegetables, and clean fruits, I eat
  • organ meats, particularly liver. these are so helpful, and when cooked the right way with the right things are amazing in small servings twice a week. Strong flavor, but a little goes a long way, personally. So nutritious, if you find your diet is stagnating, find grass fed/antibiotic free organ meats. They're really cheap since people mostly indulge in the muscle meats.
  • bone broths. I try to have these as consistently as possible. They're pretty easy to make, taste delicious, but they do make a bit of a mess afterwards, I find...however a good batch of bones are reusable. The gelatin in broths are amazing for healing digestion, in my experience. I also keep gelatin powder around in case there's a day where broth isn't available.
  • probiotics. I know you didn't react well to them, but have you considered eating probiotic foods/drinks instead? I bought some kombucha today just to see what it was like.
  • peppermint tea! read up on the benefits of this for digestion. I usually have other teas around the house as well like green and chamomile. I usually drink just a cup a day.
  • relax! don't spend your entire day worrying about how you're eating or what you look like. it's much more freeing to live life as it is now. if things aren't perfect in your situation, just remember, life has never been perfect! why not just live your life as it is? then you find your current circumstances really aren't so bad. life isn't about having clear skin. your expectations about what you think life should be like keep things stressful. that's not to say you shouldn't move towards having a healthy, beautiful body, but realize that you can be happy as you are now too. setbacks will occur, and those are okay. it's okay to get frustrated sometimes. we all lose sight of what's really important, but as long as you can remember life is about the journey happening now, rather than a future destination, you'll be good.
That's enough of my pep talk. These are all things that I've been doing that I've found have really been working in my favor health wise. Switching from being vegetarian, at least until you're healed up will definitely make this whole process easier and quicker.

May the force be with you! :)

#3 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me
  • Interests:I'm into written/spoken word, nutrition, astrology, and light roast coffee.

Achievements

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

Hey everyone!

I recently stumbled across a website called fitday.com. Everyday you can enter in all of the foods and drinks you had and it tells you: how many calories, how much protein, how much fat and how much carbohydate you ate. The coolest thing is that it also tells you what intake of all vitamins and minerals you had for the day and where that number is in relation to your required daily amount based on your height and weight. It's a really good way to figure out if you are deficient in anything based on what you are eating.

I've only used fitday for two days but so far my daily intake of vitamins has been great except for Vitamin D. Both days I only got between 20% and 30% of what I need, so I'm going to start supplementing. I think this is also really useful for calculating how much fat you have eaten in relation to carbohydrates and to make sure you are getting enough protein. Clear skin comes from proper health and nutrition as we all know, so this can really help some of us who aren't sure if we are getting what we need.

I'm wondering who else out there is trying the GAPS diet, Specific Carbohydrate diet, Paleo diet, or Bee's diet/anti-candida diet?? I've been trying to learn as much about health as possible recently to try and stop my acne again. I did clear my face for the first time a month ago by eating just fruits, vegetables, cheese and eggs but I also lost too much weight and looked unhealthy. I tried probiotics for three days and also added in brown rice, nuts and nut butter and haven't been able to get clear again since. I think clear skin comes from reducing carbohydate intake and boosting fat intake which all of these diets seem to do. Has anyone had any success with these?

I'm also a vegetarian so I'm finding it hard to up to adjust to these diets. I've realized that vegetarianism isn't the healthiest route for me personally and want to start my transition to eating meat again by eating small ice cube amounts of bone broth a day. Then I'll move up to bowls of soup and eventually try some free range, organic meat. Has anyone made this transition before? I've been vegetarian for 10 years and I know it's going to be tough to change my mental outlook on food. Also, the one time I tried bone broth chicken soup I broke out in one of the only cysts I've ever had. Part of me thinks that is a healing reaction though because I looked quite healthy and had a lot of colour in my cheeks.

Anyways, hope everyone is doing well with their diet changes and if you have any advice for me I would love to hear it.

You have such lovely energy.

I was using cronometer for a couple days (similar website to what you're talking about) but stopped when I wasn't proud of what I had eaten, kind of like when I don't post in "what did you eat today?" for a looong time. I think you are well-meaning and your intentions are good so you will find a balance between your food and feelings about yourself. I guess it's a matter of not underestimating one or the other while also forgetting about them completely, or something. I'm still learning about it myself, everyone is.

Some advice I come up with but have a tendency to neglect in the moment:

-Stick to foods/meals that will make you feel good 20 minutes after eating them. If you enjoy some kind of carbohydrate baked at a high temperature or something you know doesn't make you feel good/you're intolerant to, then look forward to a fresh salad later. Don't think of the salad or whatever as a punishment though. You know how when you're young and a bath sounds so unappealing when your mom says you need to take one? But once you're physically in the bath, you don't ever want to get out! Think of the fresh or sauteed or grilled vegetables in the salad in your mouth, imagine the nuances of each flavor, etc. That's what I mean by looking forward to the salad.

-If someone brings cookies or something in to work or a class you're in (or sugary snacks are in your presence), give yourself complete permission to have as many as you want. But then ask yourself: "Is there an emotion I'm avoiding? Am I eating to feel better? Do I feel emotionally unbalanced, sad, angry, or stressed?" If there are any yes's there, then just think of the box of doughnuts as a commercial and change the channel. Turn to someone nearby and strike up conversation, move on from food-and-emotion related thoughts to just emotion related ones, think about something else, maybe that salad you were going to make later. Did you feel clear-headed when asking yourself those questions? Then have a cookie.

-Be kind to yourself! If you had a friend who spoke to you the same way you speak to yourself sometimes, how long would allow that person to be your friend? Notice how you mentally respond to observing the surface imperfections of others. Do you pity them or do you find you're more forgiving? If you feel the latter then congratulations, acne has made you a more empathetic human being. :)

-Make a list, physically or mentally, of everything you've gained from experiencing acne. Gained, as in positive. Not what you've lost or missed out on or have felt inadequate about but traits, ideas, characteristics, feelings, anything that you feel lucky to have as a result of your symptom.

-I've started listing off everything in my life I'm grateful for when sitting on public transit. I think about all the things I write when I'm washing dishes or am feeling disheartened, broke, etc. As silly or unnecessary as it sounds just do it sometime, the sooner the better.

#4 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Thank you both for the great advice!!

Tunnelvisionary - Really good tips here. I never even considered buying gelatin but that is a great way to help heal the gut. In regards to probiotics, I just found out a health food restaurant near me sells sauerkraut so I think I will pick some of that up and try again in small amounts. The probiotic I had did have dairy in it so I could have been reacting to it's effects. Also, good tip on telling me to relax. :P I have a problem with becoming obsessed about things and you are completely right to say that my expectations for myself are causing me stress. Why even have expectations? I need to practice meditating and living in the moment and accept that setbacks are a natural part of the journey. Thank you so much for the pep talk, it always helps when someone else shows you what is really important.

Corgisoulpower - You have a great energy as well and thank you for your comment. For so long I only lurked these message boards but I'm glad I joined because we all really help each other around here. :) Great advice about how foods make you feel physically and emotional after eating them - this says a lot about what is actually healing the body and what is harming it. I do cheat every once in a while if I get a craving, but the majority of the time I feel like shit after eating something I know I shouldn't have so that helps to prevent me from doing it again. Most bad foods I can't eat without getting a massive migraine so that helps to keep me away from the too. There are awesome healthy tasty recipes out there so focusing on cooking new things has been really fun.

When it comes to judging people it is hard because I work in the beauty industry around so many judgmental\vain people and clients. It's really corny but to me people are beautiful because of their personality and soul, not what they look like. I also think that people who look healthy are beautiful because that's what beauty really is all about! So many other people out there are very judgmental and it hurts when you can tell they are judging you for your skin. I hate it when people are speaking to me and will not look into my eyes, but scan my face looking at my imperfections. Even when my face was clear from Accutane I promised myself I would never do that to someone because it is really rude and hurtful. At the same time the mind is capable of creating something out of nothing and if we are insecure in the first place we can read too much into things. All I know is through acne I can tell that my boyfriend really loves me for who I am and also who my true friends really are. I have also realized how dead end my job really is and that it is time for me to move on to something better aligned with my interests, beliefs and goals. I'm going to make the list you suggested and I think that is a really great way to help through the rough times. Everything does happen for a reason and sometimes we can lose sight of the fact that acne changes us for the better and is just another challenge to overcome - mentally and physically. Thank you for the pep talk, it means a lot. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users