Photo

Eating Treats

gluten

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

My diet is now free of refined sugars. Still eating fruits. I have honey in the house but not sure about this yet. Really happy with this change.

I have other parts of my diet to sort out but what I wanted to find out from people is when they have foods like cake/pie/crumbles as treats do you limit the portion size? If so what size? Also how often would you have a treat?

I've read the recipe thread which contains desserts with reduced sugar or stevia so there is that. But they still contain sugars. Also I am a bit suspicious of stevia, probably because it is brand new over here.

For example tomorrow I am going to make pancakes which I would usually have with lemon and sugar. It got me thinking about all the times throughout the year when I would allow myself a treat. My birthday, family and friends birthdays, Christmas. There is probably a birthday in each month, so at least one treat a month. Do you have treats this often or none at all? I am mainly asking about sugar here but feel free to talk about wheat/gluten/dairy as it will be helpful when I get to the stage of testing them.

Thanks!

#2 ihatemyskin94

ihatemyskin94

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

i only eat when there is a special ocassion or when someone has bought a cake or pie etc.
But limit it to 2 slices tops. I have a birthday next weekend that im going to and theres going to be cake of course so i just CANT resist lol.. hopefuly i doint break out
I always think about this 1 cyst i got on my cheeck from eating too much apple pie and i still have the scar/redness from it Posted Image

#3 dreamingofclearskin2011

dreamingofclearskin2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

well i tried completely eliminating junk and sweets like this ad still didnt see any improvment i realized that as long as you just eat sweets in moderation youll be alright.. i have a few cookies per week. maybe a piece of apple pie once a week. just keep it really basic dont eat cookies everyday. and for every sweet i eat i make sure to eat twice that in veggies and fruit. anyways i really hope your diet goes well. there are SO many ways to make delicious foods without hurting your diet relating to ance. theres ladies on the diet/hollistic forum that give out free recipes. the queen of hollistic health is alternavista i think thats her name she can tell you everything about food and acne and recipes she made a huge forum of recipes. gluck

#4 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for your responses guys. I've seen the recipe thread so I know how to reduce sugars, but at the end of the day those desserts still contain sugars. Limiting portion size with frequency would be even more effective. I was trying to work out if I was living in the UK many many years ago how much sugar we could have got our hands on to eat in one day/one week. And then trying to equate that with a portion size today.

At the moment I am trying to work out portion sizes for all meals, not just treats. I tend to overeat and what I want to do is reduce portions, but have more frequent meals. I suppose this is partly where my line of thinking has come from re treats. I think I am going to keep refined sugars for celebrations for now. I just need to think about portion sizes when I do have it.

I have noticed an improvement in my skin so this is enough to keep me going, but I've got in the back of my mind that sugar is inflammatory, can exacerbate other problems and is linked to aging so I have incentive to keep this up.

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

For example tomorrow I am going to make pancakes which I would usually have with lemon and sugar. It got me thinking about all the times throughout the year when I would allow myself a treat. My birthday, family and friends birthdays, Christmas. There is probably a birthday in each month, so at least one treat a month. Do you have treats this often or none at all? I

I have treats frequently. I just mostly eat very well and have treats only in low glycemic load amounts and/or after/with foods that lower the impact. There are many things you can do to reduce the glycemic impact of your treats.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#6 BitterSweet098

BitterSweet098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

xx

Edited by BitterSweet098, 05 February 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#7 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have treats frequently. I just mostly eat very well and have treats only in low glycemic load amounts and/or after/with foods that lower the impact. There are many things you can do to reduce the glycemic impact of your treats.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I think it's just a case of me testing things out now.

Im eating frozen fruit popsicles I made for my enormous sugar cravings

Sounds good, is that in the dessert thread? How much fruit to water?

#8 BitterSweet098

BitterSweet098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

xx

Edited by BitterSweet098, 05 February 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#9 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

Thx Breanna, something for me to try out. I didn't make pancakes the other night - trying to keep sugars really low at the moment like you.