Photo

Removing The Flakes...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 GJ777

GJ777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

Hi, all. I'm using Retin-a Micro. I've been using it off and on for a long time. I've presently been using it for about a month.

It is now, and has in the past, done a good job eliminating acne, but I have always had a problem with peeling and flaking. If I don't find a way to remove the flakes, I look like a monster out of a horror movie. I've tried different methods, but they're very fickle. Sometimes it's fine and I look great, sometimes it doesn't remove them enough, sometimes I overdo it and my skin is raw.

Long story short: Has anyone found a way to consistently remove the flakiness without removing the healthy, new skin underneath?

#2 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

i use a clarisonic mia to remove most of my flakes. the rest of them i take off with tweezers. its annoying!!

#3 Someclearday

Someclearday

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Right before I get out of the shower/wash my face in the shower i gently rub the flakes away. The water helps soften them and that or either a gentle facial scrub helps sooo much

#4 GJ777

GJ777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thank you both for the replies.

Thus far, I have resisted the urge to buy the Clarisonic, because, well: (1) I'm a guy and I'm already embarrassed about having to use a bunch of cosmetic products; and (2) I'm trying to limit the amount of crap I have in my apartment. Not that it's crap, but I think you know what I mean. I am considering it, but as an absolute last resort.

Kales, do you mean that you rub away the flakes with your fingers prior to washing your face? What scrub do you use? I also use Purpose and it's a nice cleanser, but does not adequately remove the flakes. I also shave, but that doesn't do it, either...

I definitely agree that it's a major pain. I get rid of the acne and replace it with flaky, peely skin. I want to have my cake and eat it, too.

#5 angel274

angel274

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

I just add moisturiser then rub the flakes away with my hands (being VERY gentle of course)

#6 JodieeeAnne

JodieeeAnne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:43 AM

I also moisturise and then the flakes that want to come off will.
However be careful as they won't budge if they're not ready and if you pick or scratch at them you could be left with raw patches as obviously the Retin-a-Micro thins the skin.

Alternatively I use a very gentle all natural scrub from Lush, it has ground almonds in but I've never found them to pull at my skin or aggravate.

Ingredients for it listed below...

Ground Almonds, Glycerine, Kaolin, Water, Lavender Oil, Rose Absolute, Chamomile Blue Oil, Tagetes Oil, Benzoin Resinoid, Lavender Flowers & Limonene.

The above scrub also helps my redness due to the almond milk it produces when mixed with a small amount of water.

#7 katiekins

katiekins

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hey you!

So, i was super glad to see this post because the flakes were the worst part of using my topical as well.
What i found that worked for me (after much experimenting, and going out looking like my face was going to peel right off), I found that applying the topical at night, letting it work all night, then showering in the morning works best. Then after you get out of the shower, slather aquaphor all over your face.

Katie

#8 Allen S

Allen S

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

The best way to remove flakes is to prevent them from forming. Put the Retin A on, then have it dry for a couple of minutes. Then add moisturizer. That's what my old derm used to tell me

#9 nygirl82

nygirl82

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

I don't know what you have tried so far, but washclothes work great for me when I'm peeling! It sounds too simple, but a gentle scrub with a washcloth makes my skin so much better.