Photo

Accutane Log 2/20/2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
141 replies to this topic

#1 Perplexity

Perplexity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

Well, I finally went to the dermatologist today for the first time in about 5 years. I let my severe acne go on for way too long and I am feeling terrible right now. I thought I would let my acne run it's course and it would end up going away one day, but I was so stubborn to realize I needed help.

The doctor told me that I'll have scarring when all is said and done with the drugs, and tried to make it seem as if it's all my fault that its so bad. I know I waited too long and that is my own fault, but It sure does tear you apart to hear that kind of stuff when you're already in a super emotional stage, but oh well.

I have been put on backtrim for one month before starting accutane, because I was told if I went on accutane right away, I would have serious inflamation and I need to get rid of the bacteria first. I was told I would see much improvement within this month of taking backtrim though. I'm so devestated right now in my mind just praying things work out for the best. I took my first dose of the backtrim today, I will be keeping this log updated through my course of this drug and into accutane.

My Accutane Log - Started 3/22/12

http://www.acne.org/...93#entry3217993

#2 jujuy

jujuy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

Chin up Perplexity! The past is past. The important thing is that you've gone to the doctor and taken steps to take control of your health condition. Personally, I applaud your efforts! Can't wait to hear about your progress!

#3 Perplexity

Perplexity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Chin up Perplexity! The past is past. The important thing is that you've gone to the doctor and taken steps to take control of your health condition. Personally, I applaud your efforts! Can't wait to hear about your progress!

Thanks juju, I'm doing my best to focus on the future and hoping that the future i'm praying for becomes a reality. Did you take any of these drugs juju?

#4 jujuy

jujuy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

Yes I'm currently on month 3 of my 1st course of Accutane at 30mg a month. I won't lie; the side effects are rough...but the treatment works marvels.

#5 Perplexity

Perplexity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Yes I'm currently on month 3 of my 1st course of Accutane at 30mg a month. I won't lie; the side effects are rough...but the treatment works marvels.

That's great to hear it's working for you. What kind of acne did you have or get? and where?

#6 vikki17

vikki17

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

It will clear you up and yes, you will have scars. However, I had many scars after completely Accutane and used Palmers Cocoa Butter Oil and that cleared the scars up, there also is the opportunity for Laser treatments 1 year after Accutane.

#7 Drummergurl4u

Drummergurl4u

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Glad to hear your doing well sorry about the scars, and Vikki has a good point! Hope the treatment plan works out for you! unfortunately i have to stop mine early :/

#8 jujuy

jujuy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

I have cystic acne. I had it pretty much all over my face, and now I only have one active cyst on my left cheek.

@Vikki17: I'm interested in scarring treatments. Could you give us some more details on how you used the cocoa butter oil for the scars? I already use cocoa butter for my dry skin, and it's been really helpful! I've always wondered if it would help with acne scarring! Posted Image

#9 Trippy

Trippy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

I just started accutane yesterday. I've tried every course of meds and creams. I am 38 years old.
I'm wondering what people use for cleansing, moisturizer etc...

I'm prepared for the dryness, wondering what issues (if any) anyone had wearing contact lenses?

#10 LaChesis

LaChesis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

I just started accutane yesterday. I've tried every course of meds and creams. I am 38 years old.
I'm wondering what people use for cleansing, moisturizer etc...

I'm prepared for the dryness, wondering what issues (if any) anyone had wearing contact lenses?

Washing with water and moisturizing with Cetaphil has been working well for me. You can use a gentle face wash if you want, but it's not a necessity. I wear contact lenses and I don't really have any problems with it, but I have to admit that I can't wait to take them off when I get home, because they do start to make my eyes feel dry at the end of the day.

#11 jujuy

jujuy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

I've been using Avene moisturizer on my face, and cocoa butter (a lot of it) all over my body. For the dry lips I use carmex. I've been using contacts for a while, and it hasn't really bothered me...just make sure to have moisturizing eye drops at the ready. The most annoying thing with Accutane for me is the muscle/joint pain.

#12 Trippy

Trippy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thank you both for the info. Cetaphil, I knew came in a wash, but not a moisturizer. I have caramex and eye drops, so looks like I'm good to go.

#13 Drummergurl4u

Drummergurl4u

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

Aquaphor works best for lips :) and scratches too!!

#14 Perplexity

Perplexity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

I guess it's a bit of a downer that I have to take this antibiotic for a month before starting the accutane, but hopefully my dermatologist is right and I need this first. For the longest time, I just tried my best to accept my acne and take it for what it was. Now that i'm going through this process to try and change my life, everything seems so much more real to me if that makes any sense. I have been on the antibiotic for 4 days now and the only thing I can point out at all is that the large cystic/keloids feel softer than usual. Normally it seems like there is a lot of pressure or tightness I guess, but they feel a bit softer than usual. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks, but that's all I can really say so far.

#15 life7

life7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Good luck perplexity!

Although your derm kinda sounds mean, it seems as though he/she is covering all of their bases by first putting you on bactrim! I am a RN and I have seen this drug used a lot and although it is strong it is very safe.

I have just begun accutane. I am on day 11 and I have no regrets! I waited around 6 years before starting so don't feel bad. I think it was smart of you to see if it ran its course! I think that accutane is made out to be far worse than it is! Also, don't be down about the scarring. Six months to a year after stopping accutane you can get treatments to have these reduced or gone! There are tons of laser treatments, etc out there that really work wonders!

Get excited that you are on the road to recovery! Congrats!

#16 Perplexity

Perplexity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

Good luck perplexity!

Although your derm kinda sounds mean, it seems as though he/she is covering all of their bases by first putting you on bactrim! I am a RN and I have seen this drug used a lot and although it is strong it is very safe.

I have just begun accutane. I am on day 11 and I have no regrets! I waited around 6 years before starting so don't feel bad. I think it was smart of you to see if it ran its course! I think that accutane is made out to be far worse than it is! Also, don't be down about the scarring. Six months to a year after stopping accutane you can get treatments to have these reduced or gone! There are tons of laser treatments, etc out there that really work wonders!

Get excited that you are on the road to recovery! Congrats!

Thanks life, yeah I was always telling myself years ago I would never let myself take the drug and thought it was too crazy, but I'm really glad I decided to do it now. I know if I would have just tried fixing it all sooner, things would have probably been a lot better and what not, but I was very young and didn't really think about all that stuff being a 14 year old. I'm still a teenager at 19, but here's to positive thinking :)

#17 Kittyx3

Kittyx3

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Oh, your derm sounds meanPosted Image
I would've kicked them.
I'm gona be following this log and I wish you every success!
We all kinda wish we'd done things differently, I have a lot of scars that I know wouldn't be there if I dealt with my skin sooner.
But its great you're sorting it out now! As another poster said there as tons of scar treatments out there, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Anyway! good luck and you have an amazing support system on these forums Posted Image

Edited by Kittyx3, 24 February 2012 - 01:52 PM.

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness."

#18 Perplexity

Perplexity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Oh, your derm sounds meanPosted Image
I would've kicked them.
I'm gona be following this log and I wish you every success!
We all kinda wish we'd done things differently, I have a lot of scars that I know wouldn't be there if I dealt with my skin sooner.
But its great you're sorting it out now! As another poster said there as tons of scar treatments out there, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Anyway! good luck and you have an amazing support system on these forums Posted Image

Haha yeah I'm way too nice as a person, I didn't even display my level of discomfort when he was talking to me. Thanks for the support seriously, it really makes things a bit more manageable.

#19 esa

esa

Acne sucks.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

I've just started my course. I'm 24 now and like many others I keep thinking to myself "I should have done this years ago" but oh well..

The important thing is that we've started.

Good luck :)

Accutane log

Month 1 - 20mg/day

Month 2 - 20mg/day

Month 3 - 40mg/day

Month 4 - 40mg/day

Month 5 - 40mg/day
Month 6 - 40mg/day
Month 7 - 40mg/day

#20 Perplexity

Perplexity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

I've just started my course. I'm 24 now and like many others I keep thinking to myself "I should have done this years ago" but oh well..

The important thing is that we've started.

Good luck Posted Image

Thanks man. I was scared to death even thinking about doing the drug years ago. I'm still scared, but I'm willing to take the risk now. Hope things go great for you too man.