Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accutane Log 2/20/2012

142 posts in this topic

Well, I finally went to the dermatologist today for the first time in about 5 years. I let my severe acne go on for way too long and I am feeling terrible right now. I thought I would let my acne run it's course and it would end up going away one day, but I was so stubborn to realize I needed help.

The doctor told me that I'll have scarring when all is said and done with the drugs, and tried to make it seem as if it's all my fault that its so bad. I know I waited too long and that is my own fault, but It sure does tear you apart to hear that kind of stuff when you're already in a super emotional stage, but oh well.

I have been put on backtrim for one month before starting accutane, because I was told if I went on accutane right away, I would have serious inflamation and I need to get rid of the bacteria first. I was told I would see much improvement within this month of taking backtrim though. I'm so devestated right now in my mind just praying things work out for the best. I took my first dose of the backtrim today, I will be keeping this log updated through my course of this drug and into accutane.

My Accutane Log - Started 3/22/12

Chin up Perplexity! The past is past. The important thing is that you've gone to the doctor and taken steps to take control of your health condition. Personally, I applaud your efforts! Can't wait to hear about your progress!

Chin up Perplexity! The past is past. The important thing is that you've gone to the doctor and taken steps to take control of your health condition. Personally, I applaud your efforts! Can't wait to hear about your progress!

Thanks juju, I'm doing my best to focus on the future and hoping that the future i'm praying for becomes a reality. Did you take any of these drugs juju?

Yes I'm currently on month 3 of my 1st course of Accutane at 30mg a month. I won't lie; the side effects are rough...but the treatment works marvels.

Yes I'm currently on month 3 of my 1st course of Accutane at 30mg a month. I won't lie; the side effects are rough...but the treatment works marvels.

That's great to hear it's working for you. What kind of acne did you have or get? and where?

It will clear you up and yes, you will have scars. However, I had many scars after completely Accutane and used Palmers Cocoa Butter Oil and that cleared the scars up, there also is the opportunity for Laser treatments 1 year after Accutane.

Glad to hear your doing well sorry about the scars, and Vikki has a good point! Hope the treatment plan works out for you! unfortunately i have to stop mine early :/

I have cystic acne. I had it pretty much all over my face, and now I only have one active cyst on my left cheek.

@Vikki17: I'm interested in scarring treatments. Could you give us some more details on how you used the cocoa butter oil for the scars? I already use cocoa butter for my dry skin, and it's been really helpful! I've always wondered if it would help with acne scarring! surprised.gif

I just started accutane yesterday. I've tried every course of meds and creams. I am 38 years old.

I'm wondering what people use for cleansing, moisturizer etc...

I'm prepared for the dryness, wondering what issues (if any) anyone had wearing contact lenses?

I just started accutane yesterday. I've tried every course of meds and creams. I am 38 years old.

I'm wondering what people use for cleansing, moisturizer etc...

I'm prepared for the dryness, wondering what issues (if any) anyone had wearing contact lenses?

Washing with water and moisturizing with Cetaphil has been working well for me. You can use a gentle face wash if you want, but it's not a necessity. I wear contact lenses and I don't really have any problems with it, but I have to admit that I can't wait to take them off when I get home, because they do start to make my eyes feel dry at the end of the day.

I've been using Avene moisturizer on my face, and cocoa butter (a lot of it) all over my body. For the dry lips I use carmex. I've been using contacts for a while, and it hasn't really bothered me...just make sure to have moisturizing eye drops at the ready. The most annoying thing with Accutane for me is the muscle/joint pain.

Thank you both for the info. Cetaphil, I knew came in a wash, but not a moisturizer. I have caramex and eye drops, so looks like I'm good to go.

Aquaphor works best for lips :) and scratches too!!

I guess it's a bit of a downer that I have to take this antibiotic for a month before starting the accutane, but hopefully my dermatologist is right and I need this first. For the longest time, I just tried my best to accept my acne and take it for what it was. Now that i'm going through this process to try and change my life, everything seems so much more real to me if that makes any sense. I have been on the antibiotic for 4 days now and the only thing I can point out at all is that the large cystic/keloids feel softer than usual. Normally it seems like there is a lot of pressure or tightness I guess, but they feel a bit softer than usual. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks, but that's all I can really say so far.

Good luck perplexity!

Although your derm kinda sounds mean, it seems as though he/she is covering all of their bases by first putting you on bactrim! I am a RN and I have seen this drug used a lot and although it is strong it is very safe.

I have just begun accutane. I am on day 11 and I have no regrets! I waited around 6 years before starting so don't feel bad. I think it was smart of you to see if it ran its course! I think that accutane is made out to be far worse than it is! Also, don't be down about the scarring. Six months to a year after stopping accutane you can get treatments to have these reduced or gone! There are tons of laser treatments, etc out there that really work wonders!

Get excited that you are on the road to recovery! Congrats!

Good luck perplexity!

Although your derm kinda sounds mean, it seems as though he/she is covering all of their bases by first putting you on bactrim! I am a RN and I have seen this drug used a lot and although it is strong it is very safe.

I have just begun accutane. I am on day 11 and I have no regrets! I waited around 6 years before starting so don't feel bad. I think it was smart of you to see if it ran its course! I think that accutane is made out to be far worse than it is! Also, don't be down about the scarring. Six months to a year after stopping accutane you can get treatments to have these reduced or gone! There are tons of laser treatments, etc out there that really work wonders!

Get excited that you are on the road to recovery! Congrats!

Thanks life, yeah I was always telling myself years ago I would never let myself take the drug and thought it was too crazy, but I'm really glad I decided to do it now. I know if I would have just tried fixing it all sooner, things would have probably been a lot better and what not, but I was very young and didn't really think about all that stuff being a 14 year old. I'm still a teenager at 19, but here's to positive thinking :)

Oh, your derm sounds meanangry.png

I would've kicked them.

I'm gona be following this log and I wish you every success!

We all kinda wish we'd done things differently, I have a lot of scars that I know wouldn't be there if I dealt with my skin sooner.

But its great you're sorting it out now! As another poster said there as tons of scar treatments out there, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Anyway! good luck and you have an amazing support system on these forums hifive.gif

1 person likes this

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness."

Oh, your derm sounds meanangry.png

I would've kicked them.

I'm gona be following this log and I wish you every success!

We all kinda wish we'd done things differently, I have a lot of scars that I know wouldn't be there if I dealt with my skin sooner.

But its great you're sorting it out now! As another poster said there as tons of scar treatments out there, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Anyway! good luck and you have an amazing support system on these forums hifive.gif

Haha yeah I'm way too nice as a person, I didn't even display my level of discomfort when he was talking to me. Thanks for the support seriously, it really makes things a bit more manageable.

1 person likes this

I've just started my course. I'm 24 now and like many others I keep thinking to myself "I should have done this years ago" but oh well..

The important thing is that we've started.

Good luck :)

1 person likes this

Month 1 - 20mg/day

Month 2 - 20mg/day

Month 3 - 40mg/day

Month 4 - 40mg/day

Month 5 - 40mg/day

Month 6 - 40mg/day

Month 7 - 40mg/day

I've just started my course. I'm 24 now and like many others I keep thinking to myself "I should have done this years ago" but oh well..

The important thing is that we've started.

Good luck smile.png

Thanks man. I was scared to death even thinking about doing the drug years ago. I'm still scared, but I'm willing to take the risk now. Hope things go great for you too man.

2 people like this

Well it's nearly been a month since I started my antibiotic and I start my accutane course this week on Thursday or Friday. I have seen maybe slight improvement overall, but definitely not any groundbreaking results. I still have all the nodules and deep under the skin stuff, it just seems like maybe a few spots have become less inflamed and protruding. I can't say that's from the medicine though, because that has been happening on and off for the longest time.

I don't know what the doc will say when I meet with him again this week, but I'm looking forward to starting the accutane process.

Staying as positive as possible through all of this, I'm in a bad situation with my household right now (divorced parents and step parent issue) so all the added stress that has been building up for so many years is seriously not helping my mentality. I know all of this will make me stronger and a better person, I just need to find strength through struggle.

1. Hey guys. I just got home from the derm apponitment and it went pretty good. He was pleased with the improvement from the antibiotic and actually gave me the option to continue taking over starting the accutane. I decided to go with accutane and go for it. I have been given 40mg a day twice a day so a total of 80mg per day of claravis. I feel like it's a super high dosage for me since I'm only 120 pounds, but I will take what I was given. I just took the first pill a few minutes ago and there are so many mixed emotions running through my mind. I'll keep updating things as I go and thank all who have supported me so far in this wild journey.

I know you are going through a tough time. I have been on accutane started from Feb. And it's almost 2 months now...I hv brokeout during day 19 to now but I got a few pimples now...but there's still redness..Just don't give up!! You will getting better and better ! ;D

I know you are going through a tough time. I have been on accutane started from Feb. And it's almost 2 months now...I hv brokeout during day 19 to now but I got a few pimples now...but there's still redness..Just don't give up!! You will getting better and better ! grinwink.gif

Thanks man, I hope everything ends up working for you as well, take care.

Day 4 - Things have been up and down so far. I have been getting bad headaches starting day 2 and got another at the end of day 3 and now still going into day 4. I'm really scared because I rarely get headaches and these are lasting for hours. I went to bed last night with a horrible headache and all throughout the night (8-9 hours of sleep) I would wake up and still have the pain in my head. My skin feels really tight on my face and kind of painful. I don't know why I'm getting these, I'm eating properly and doing things I'm suppose to do. I called the doctor about being put on 80mg a day and he said it was the right dosage. I guess I was just really shocked it's that high since I'm only a mere 115-120 pounds. I'm just really scared right now, I can't keep having these headaches, I'm going to call tomorrow and explain whats going on, to see what he says about it.