accutane claravis red mark

6 replies to this topic

#1 Hgresz

Hgresz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

Alright, I know there are about a million of these logs on this site, but I feel like this will be a good support for me while i'm on Claravis (which I is of course a generic brand of accutane). Anyways though, my name is Heather and I started Clarvis 9 days ago. I am on 20 mg a day which I feel like isn't a very high dosage, but hey i'm not a dermatologist. I weigh 133 and am about 5'7. My skin isn't really all that bad but I have been on EVERYTHING under the sun, and have been going to a derm since I was I think 14 and I turned 21 in November of 2011. My first derm put me on the newest products every time he saw me and nothing he ever put me on helped so I turned to a new derm who put me on things that were actually supposed to help people with acne that had persisted other topical meds and what not. And then 2 years of all the antibiotics my derm could think of she said accutane was the next step. I was sooooo unbelievably happy. My brother went on accutane right around the same time I did, he was on it for 4 months and has never had acne since, he is 31 now.

Anyways, so far so good. I haven't broken out any worse than I was when I started claravis. Just a little bit of dryness, but honestly it's less dry than it was when I was on whatever antibiotic I was on before clarvis and tazorac. The tazorac made my skin flaky, but it was still oily and I don't know it was just strange. I have a few little whiteheads right now on my jawline, and then just 1 big under the skin pimple that is on my cheek bone and it hurts really badly. Does anyone know if I can do anything to try to help the big zit hurt less or be less red or anything? I am trying really hard not to pop things but it is tough because I used to pick my skin ALL the time,

Other than all that, I take my Claravis in the morning with breakfast and a full glass of water, I drink a ton of water, like just a TON. I have been really proactive about my skin care since I started claravis and for the whole month before I started. I use aquaphor on my lips whenever they feel dry and definitely right before bed and once i wake up. The only other things I use are an aveeno oatmeal bar in the morning in the shower which is super moisturizing and reduces redness because of the oatmeal, it is also scent free. I then use cetaphil lotion on my face after I get out of the shower and when that dries completely I use cetaphil moisture balm (I think) which is just a super thick lotion. I do the same thing at night only I use a cetaphil face wash instead of the aveeno bar. I'm prone to dry skin so the extra lotion seemed like a must for me.

Eek! Sorry for the book for anyone who actually reads this, I just want to get it all out there.

If anyone has anything to share please do! I'd be curious to know if I have surpassed when an inital breakout will occur or if I should still be waiting anxiously to see if I get one. My brother said he never had a bad breakout on it so i'm hoping i'm as lucky as him! The picture is of me right now. It is a seriously AWFUL picture but you can see the red mark on my cheek from the big one I have now and some of the little things by my chin.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG322.jpg

#2 MissAustralia

MissAustralia

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

Ahhh we're on the same dosage. Also having a breakout :( First time ever makeup hasn't been able to hide it... My friends say it will be the full month before it goes down. I'm on Erythomycin (antibiotic) as well to try to keep the breakout at bay.

#3 Hgresz

Hgresz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

My skin actually isn't too bad! It gets better each day, I have a couple of little things but its nothing awful that I can't leave the house for or something haha. I almost feel like the 20 mg isn't enough or something. My skin hasn't been all that dry, and my lips aren't really very chapped. It's only day I guess 12 now though so I have a long time to go lol. What kind of make-up do you use?? My make-up covers up things pretty well so I could maybe suggest some things for you if it would help!! I hope everything besides the breakout is going okay for you though, breakouts can suck so badly. :-(

#4 PaulH85

PaulH85

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

Sounds like things turned out amazing well for your brother when he was on Accutane. Here's hoping it goes the same way for you and you get the clear skin you're no doubt hoping for.

You're right to avoid picking your skin and popping pimples by the way. Even without being on Accutane, it's never a good idea to pick. Not that I can preach about it, given that I did just that for about thirteen years. Leaving your skin alone as much as possible will allow it to heal better while on Accutane though so it's worth the effort. Best tips I can offer there is to avoid mirrors unless you actually have to use one, and to keep your hands busy if you happen to be someone who picks absentmindedly.

Good luck! :)

#5 sweetsundae21

sweetsundae21

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:26 AM

I'm on Day-9/10 and on 20mg.. My skin isn't dry... neither is my lips chapped.. Weird..

#6 Hgresz

Hgresz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

Thank-you Paul! Yeah I am hoping my course goes as well as my brothers, that would be fantastic!! I'm trying to avoid mirrors but it's just so hard! I will definitely try to keep my hands busy though because I do absentmindedly pick, it's awful :-(

Sweetsundae, my lips are a little bit more dry and my skin gets dry in places where I have little spots now, I'm on day 21 today, but still nothing major. I agree, it is weird. Maybe we need higher dosages? I go to the derm next week so we'll see!

Thank-you both for posting!!

#7 danaxbee

danaxbee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

I just took my first dose tonight. I'm excited to read about your progress-- sounds like things are going well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users