coffee caffeine

2 replies to this topic

#1 HankScorpio

HankScorpio

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

I'm enthusiastic because my skin is the clearest it has been in years. I have felt optimistic before - only to relapse - but I will share my thoughts now and then update in a few weeks. If I can go another 2 weeks with no new cysts then I will feel like I have conquered this disease.

I'm an almost 30 year old male who has had moderate acne since puberty. For the past 8 years or so my acne has mostly been cystic, especially on my forehead, jawline and corners of my mouth. I have almost zero problems on my cheeks and upper lip. I have typically had 1 or 2 major cysts at a time, lasting about 10 days on average.

I have long suspected a dietary link, especially because I could feel itchy new cysts forming and existing cysts swelling occasionally after a meal, almost like they all turned on a once. Being a scientist, I first tried regulating my blood sugar - since that is what all of the peer reviewed articles are about. When that failed to resolve the issue, I tried many other dietary eliminations (dairy, chocolate, wheat, eggs, fast food, etc), but have returned to try blood sugar multiple times. Based on observing what I ate in the day prior to flareups, the once thing that correlated the most was either fried wheat-containing products or blackened meat/veges. However that correlation was not absolute. None of these treatments resulted in long-term success. About 3 weeks ago I switched from 3 cups of coffee with milk per day, to one 200mg caffeine pill with milk at breakfast. The results have been dramatic with NO NEW CYSTS or itch spots under my skin, and only one small, quickly resolving whitehead in the corner of my mouth. I am also eating more rice (less bread) and staying away from blackened food.

When people post about coffee here, everyone rushes to say caffeine, but the fact that I am taking 200 mg daily doesn't seem to jive with that. I certainly can't rule out the fact that 200 mg is below some threshold required for cysts but I'll just have to wait and see. If I get another round of flareups I will eliminate caffeine completely, but that would be detrimental to my work. If the current diet keeps the acne at bay, I will eventually test out coffee, fried food and blackened food again and see if any of them specifically cause the problems. Coffee has similar toxins to other foods cooked at high heat, such as acrylamide (http://en.wikipedia....#Prepared_foods) so maybe that is the trigger. Regardless, I hope I have finally kicked this beast.

#2 unlovely2011

unlovely2011

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 27
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

well if you went from 3 cups of coffee (with milk and sugar i'm assuming) to 1 pill with a certain amount of milk at breakfast, perhaps it is because you are consuming less milk. you didn't specify anything about dairy, but i find that when i stay away from dairy, my skin is a bit better but more interesting is my localized eczema clears right up. eczema is allergy related and i think acne can be too. maybe you too have a dairy sensitivity?

#3 oryon

oryon

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

I've read that caffeine and milk (like practically everything else...sigh) can cause acne, but I'd wager milk is to blame more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users