Photo

Advice On Scars, Please! Orange Peel Texture? I Look Horrible.

chemical peel tca hyperpigmentation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

I've been coming on Acne.org for years, but have never posted, and been too embarassed to post pictures. However, I am desperate. I have tried so many chemical peels from MUAC, I have worked up from the lowest lactic acid peel to the highest glycolic peel (70%) and I have tried a low-percent TCA peel, all with slight results but not enough. I just ordered a 24% TCA peel, but have to plan a time to use it so I don't have to work/go to school with that much peeling. It's too embarassing.:(

I had bad acne as a teen, and my skin is more or less clear now-but as you can see, the texture of my skin is ruined. I look so aged and so awful and unhealthy. My skin always seems dull, pitted and just has a texture of an orange. I took these pictures in the worst lighting (sunless daylight, florescent). In some lightings, my skin looks fine! My self-confidence is horrible because of this.

Anyone, especially with similar skin, have any recommendations on what product, peel, etc. I could try that might give me a better effect?

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I am using Mandelic Acid serum by Nucelle and it has really kept me clear, unclogged my pores really quickly and even faded some hyperpigmentation. It doesn't do anything for these pits and dents though...except when I have the serum on my face, it seems to act as a primer and give the impression my skin is smoother. After exfoliating and washing though, I notice it really was just a temporary effect :( Kind of like using the egg white mask.

Attached Thumbnails

• 120217-120611.jpg
  • 120217-120411.jpg
  • 2012-02-18 12.03.33.jpg

#2 Dirtbag

Dirtbag

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

I know there are really 'deep' peels out there, but I also know it's meant to be a risky and expensive procedure. You're very pretty. And young. I'm going to try a home dermaroller, have you ever considered/tried one of them?

#3 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

I have heard of it from looking through these boards, but it sounds a little off-putting. Tiny needles in my skin? I'll need to look into more. Did you already try yours yet? I really believe a high percent TCA peel will do something...I tried mandelic, lactic and glycolic but not so much TCA because the downtime was too much for my schedule. I cannot go to work or school with huge pieces of skin peeling off. I am hoping a high-percent will give some improvement...

#4 Dirtbag

Dirtbag

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Good luck. I haven't tried it yet, waiting for it to arrive from Amazon. Not keep on puncturing my skin, either, but I guess we've all got our squirmish sides - I'm terrified of chemical peels...

#5 laineylynn3

laineylynn3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

My skin texture is the same as yours. In my case, I think it is because I have had two deep dermabrasions in the past. Sometimes the deep procedures reveal larger pores and worse texture - so be careful before you try a deep peel! You might start with a 0.5mm dermaroller, which is generally used once a week to help skin products absorb. If you use a 0.5mm or even a 1.5mm roller Friday evening, your skin will usually look fine Monday morning. Often, rolling causes the skin to peel slightly, but not as much as a chemical peel. The procedure is based on the idea of causing small injuries to the skin to stimulate collagen production, which should smooth and improve your skin.

Do research needling procedures, including what topicals to use or avoid, before you try so you won't cause skin damage! You're very pretty, so go slow on any procedure you decide to use.

#6 harleyquinn1801

harleyquinn1801

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

hi honey,

your gorgeous. let me put it out there first. my skin texture is worse but i've come to the realization that Im trying really hard not to let my skin dictate my life. I think the best thing to do thats non invasive would be the 24% TCA that you bought. I've seen many people get good results starting with just the 12-15% so I'm hoping the 24% will do the trick. But know that everyone is different so I hope you do take caution. I also think the dermaroller would be the next best thing but I also have a phobia of rolling needles in my face not just cause it looks like it would uncomfortable but I know that you're not supposed to roll or dermastamp or do any scar procedures until your skin is clear or not as broken out due to spreading more bacteria upon your whole face. I've tried dermastamping a few deep scars and noticed a little improvement but I wasn't consistent with it. Honestly, with mine, a primer wouldnt even help fill in my face. Thats how bad my scars.... Yours are treatable in my opinion.

Hugs

#7 Natalie5511

Natalie5511

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

Ive had some great sucess using muac 12.5 tca peel im seeing my indents filling in more and more everytime i do it as well as my texture and redness in that area deffo need at least two weeks downtime, will be a long process until they are 100% filled in or close as to it as i can get but its a good cheap treatment to do yourself. Good luck with it

#8 thrillpink

thrillpink

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say you're still very pretty :)
And I think you're wearing foundation in the pictures, keep in mind that although foundation can conceal discoloration, it often makes uneven skin texture seem more apparent.

#9 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Thanks everyone for being kind, these are my biggest insecurity and really affect my life sometimes, but I find a lot of encouragement from boards like these and youtubers like Diamondsandheels (search her if you haven't!).

I will look into dermarolling more, since it seems to be pretty popular. I'll try anything now.
LaineLynn, I think you are right, since I have been doing chemical peels over the span of 2 years and maybe it's just at the stage where my scars are my prominent because it's getting to the 'bottom' of them?

Natalie, did you ever read that TCA peels have a time limit on the results? I have heard they say the results last up to 6 months. What the hell? Shouldn't it be permanent?!

Thrillpink, thank you, and yes I forgot to mention I do have foundation on in the pictures. Foundation really doesn't make my skin look different than without it, just gives some relief to some redness, but I decided to take these with foundation because like you said, it actually makes my scars stand out more. Yet I still can't go out without it...ugh mind tricks. My skin was also very dry and overall crappy that day, and the scars seemed more pronounced than usual so I snapped these. I exfoliated later and put some treatment on and they look a little better since then actually.

Only foundation that really doesn't make them look worse is BareEscentuals, but mine hasn't been shipped to me yet.

These were taken just today. This is the most frustrating about scars like this, is that in some lightings and flash photos and stuff, it looks FINE. Then I think I look good and go somewhere public and look in a mirror and it's just crushing to see how bad my skin actually looks.

And when I smile or stretch my skin, my scars disappear. Like if I were to get a face lift, it would solve my problems! Haha.
I read somewhere about tethered and untethered scars. Anyone have any input on that?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-02-19 14.26.00.jpg
  • 2012-02-19 14.26.33.jpg

#10 Natalie5511

Natalie5511

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

yeah ive heard a lot about it to that the effects are only temp however i think when it refers to that it depends upon ur sun exposure how well you take care of ur skin, picking, popping, and re-damaging the area i dont belive they are though as i did a peel on an indentation i had on my temple 1yr ago and its exactly the same improvement from when i first did it, plus it stimulates collegen reproduction to to fill it in, guess everyone has different results though with them :)

#11 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

You wanna know how I got these scars?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

Edited by Nope.avi, 08 August 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#12 Pord

Pord

Order and Progress

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

For the love of fuck, don't start with a 24% TCA solution. This is acid not a toy.

Work your way up over several months.

+ 1

#13 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

If you read my post, I have been using chemical peels for years, starting with lactic and working my way up through higher percentages over months and months. I have already used a 12.5% TCA on spots, and used 70% glycolic quite frequently, with no adverse reactions from my skin.

#14 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

You wanna know how I got these scars?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Edited by Nope.avi, 08 August 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#15 Nightlilly89

Nightlilly89

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

Peels might help with the color, and may help clean out some pores with repeated use, but in my experience and from doctors advice they do almost nothing for indented scarring. I actually overdid peels a while back and since the cheek skin is sensitive, it had a pulled stretching look to it because it thins out the epidermis. Sometimes that can make things look even worse. I suggest if you do a peel to do a light one especially for home use. Too many people have gone too rough and end up doing damage for no reason.

#16 mikesmith1

mikesmith1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

@rockmeamadeus

My skin is similar and I'm a guy. I can totally relate to what you say about our skin looking good in certain lighting/pictures, and then you see it in a different light and you are devastated.

It sucks. No other way to put it. Just remember that other people aren't staring at you in the worst lighting possible and analysing all your scars like you are.

After years of research.... I honestly wouldn't recommend any type of "treatment" for you. Lasers can have VERY bad side effects and a lot of down time. It's also painful and expensive. My advice would be to just live with it, and if you're worried about dating... find a guy who can deal with it and love you for who you are. I'd totally date you.

you are a very pretty girl despite those shallow scars.... your skin could be better... but remember if could be ALOT worst.

Scars are not everything.

#17 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

If you read my post, I have been using chemical peels for years, starting with lactic and working my way up through higher percentages over months and months. I have already used a 12.5% TCA on spots, and used 70% glycolic quite frequently, with no adverse reactions from my skin.

I can read.

Lactic, and 70% glycolic doesn't come close to 24% TCA. You used 12.5% TCA before with no adverse reactions, great, but that doesn't mean you should jump straight into a 24% peel, you're going to burn yourself.

Seriously, I don't want to read your post in a weeks time about how to take care of an acid burn.

I appreciate the input, even though I find you unecessarily hostile. Obviously glycolic is different than TCA, the point is my skin is more prepped to handle a higher strength than someone who has never used a peel. I assure you there will be no post from me on acid burns in the future, however as a friendly reminder, you would in no way required to read it. Thanks :)

@rockmeamadeus

My skin is similar and I'm a guy. I can totally relate to what you say about our skin looking good in certain lighting/pictures, and then you see it in a different light and you are devastated.

It sucks. No other way to put it. Just remember that other people aren't staring at you in the worst lighting possible and analysing all your scars like you are.

After years of research.... I honestly wouldn't recommend any type of "treatment" for you. Lasers can have VERY bad side effects and a lot of down time. It's also painful and expensive. My advice would be to just live with it, and if you're worried about dating... find a guy who can deal with it and love you for who you are. I'd totally date you.

you are a very pretty girl despite those shallow scars.... your skin could be better... but remember if could be ALOT worst.

Scars are not everything.

Hey, you're absolutely right. No one seems to be bothered quite as much as I am, but we are our own worst critics. I have seen so much worse, so I feel grateful. My skin does respond to peels and other things, just not as quickly as I would hope. Thanks for your advice. I'll never stop trying , but eventually have to embrace it as part of me.

Peels might help with the color, and may help clean out some pores with repeated use, but in my experience and from doctors advice they do almost nothing for indented scarring. I actually overdid peels a while back and since the cheek skin is sensitive, it had a pulled stretching look to it because it thins out the epidermis. Sometimes that can make things look even worse. I suggest if you do a peel to do a light one especially for home use. Too many people have gone too rough and end up doing damage for no reason.

I've seen results from peels, my scars used to be worse, so seeing results causes me to want to keep going. However, I think it only does so much. The results are enough to give you hope, but will never give me flawless skin, I realize this. I am cautious with peels, obviously I would rather have the skin I have than skin mottled with acid burns. It's just frustratingggg.

#18 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

i would go to a medical spa or a derm and get a tca or jessner peel that way your not going to burn yourself and over do it. i have done every type of peel on myself except for spot tca's only because i am too paranoid to try them on my own. i think a medium depth peel would be good for you. you are very pretty by the way.

#19 FruitBiscuits

FruitBiscuits

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

I found this topic... Please be careful when you do the TCA. I am a girl with scars, too and I know how you feel...
I am thinking about trying microdermabrasion(home kit) soon...

http://www.acne.org/...ster-with-pics/

#20 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:28 AM

God. I hate to say it but you are one fine and very sexy woman. I dont see a damn thing wrong with you. Their are plenty of real men out their like me who wouldnt even give a miniture flaw even a second glance. Not even a first glance. I probbly wouldnt notice at all. My brain sees a good looking girl. Why would I try and ruin that?