Photo

Preventing Acne & Treating Acne

vitamin b vitamin b3 vitamin b5 niacin zinc phenol aha alpha hydroxy acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Funny thing, most people want to treat the acne after it appears. They treat their acne, and new ones appear. The old acne is treated, and clears up, but the new acne is still there. Their acne cycle continues. I think to myself: "Why not just start preventing new acne when you see the acne appearing in the first place, that way, when the old acne breakout is over, you will be acne free."

I thought I'd make a list of products that work best to fight acne and the cause of acne.

Preventing Acne: Sebum Production Inhibitors/Suppressors:

Topical:

- Head & Shoulders Classic Clean Shampoo - No conditioner - HydraZinc: Zinc Carbonate & Zinc Pyrithione 1%
Apply to areas and leave on for 5-10 minutes. Then rinse off.
AM/PM or 3 times a day
Note: You may wet skin prior to application.

Reviews

- DHS Zinc Shampoo - No Conditioner - Zinc pyrithione 2%
New Heavy Artillary for our acne fighter arsenal.
Will update

Zinc pyrithione basically acts like BP and sorta like Accutane.
Zinc pyrithione has been proven to improve skin healing and slow down keratinization as well as potently reduce inflammation/redness. Zinc pyrithione also reduces sebum production by inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to DHT locally by inhibiting 5 Alpha Reductase Type 1 (this is how testosterone causes sebaceous activity in the first place: through 5ar Type 1). Zinc Pyrithione is a potent anti-bacterial like BP, it causes DNA damage and disrupts the functioning of the bacteria. Overrall it's deadly to acne as it practically prevents acne, and kills existing acne. Miracle.

- Nizoral Shampoo - Ketoconazole 1% OTC - 2% Rx
Apply to areas and leave on for 5-10 minutes. Then rinse off.

The anti-androgenous property of ketoconazole would therefore suggest that the drug could be proposed as a useful alternative in the treatment of acne and seborrhoea.

- Azeleic Acid
I don't recommend yet

Zinc,[5] azelaic acid,[5] β-sitosterol,[6] certain unsaturated aliphatic fatty acids such as gamma-linolenic acid, alpha-linolenic acid, linoleic acid, and oleic acid,[7] and a variety of polyphenols[8] have been found to inhibit 5α-reductase activity to varying degrees.

Oral:

- Lactoferrin
250mg 3-4 times per day. 2 hours after a meal.

Lactoferrin has been found to reduce sebum production, as shown in the following clinical studies done on patients with acne.
- Efficacy and tolerability of oral lactoferrin supplementation in mild to moderate acne vulgaris: an exploratory study.
- Dietary effect of lactoferrin-enriched fermented milk on skin surface lipid and clinical improvement of acne vulgaris.

- Niacin Vitamin B3
500mg Flush version 4 hours after eating supper before bed

- Vitamin B5
not sure

- Accutane
Rx

Preventing Acne: Keratolytics - Pore Maintenance

Topical:

- AHA: Glycolic Acid/Mandelic Acid 10%

- Tretinoin: Retin A Gel 0.05
How to use Retin A

- Benzoyl Peroxide: 2.5%

- Sulphur

Oral

will update

Treating Acne: Anti-Bacterials:

Topical:

- Benzoyl Peroxide: Panoxyl 2.5 Gel
Follow dans protocol

- Head & Shoulders Classic Clean Shampoo - No conditioner - Zinc Pyrithione 1%
Above Protocol

- DHS Zinc Shampoo - Zinc pyrithione 2%
Above Protocol

Oral:

- Antibiotics

- Lactoferrin
Above Protocol

Will update.

Edited by RedPatrick, 08 March 2012 - 01:50 AM.

#2 The Darkest Cloud

The Darkest Cloud

|TheComeUp|

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

Yeeeeah, finally someone else using H&S CC as a cleanser....I'd be lost without this stuff!! It cleared me once, and it's in the process of doing it again! Great stuff buddy :)

#3 SamIman

SamIman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

I bought the lactoferrin, I'm taking 500mg daily. I'm just a bit baffled at how a milk product will help me, coz dairy breaks me out badly.

#4 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

I bought the lactoferrin, I'm taking 500mg daily. I'm just a bit baffled at how a milk product will help me, coz dairy breaks me out badly.

Try and take it 2 hours after eating something. Split the dosage throughout the day. This isn't actually a dairy product, it's found in milk, that's all. Trust me, it will work.

Yeeeeah, finally someone else using H&S CC as a cleanser....I'd be lost without this stuff!! It cleared me once, and it's in the process of doing it again! Great stuff buddy Posted Image

Omg, H&S is a miracle for me. I was skeptical at first, I mean how can I use a shampoo on my face lol, it's for my head. But... I took the plunge and wow! It actually worked to get rid of my pityrosporum folliculitis. When I first used it, I left it on for 5-10 minutes before rinsing off, and later I just put it on and rinsed off immediately. Unfortuneately, I stopped using the H&S for some time because it wasn't working for me. After I stopped using it for 2 weeks, I got the small bumps (pityrosporum?) again. I was sooo pissed off. Then I put on some H&S, and forgot to rinse it off. 20 minutes later, I was like oh shit. Rinsed it off, and the next day, "noooooo". My bumps were gone. Then I realised that you gotta leave the H&S on for around 15 minutes to let it soak in properly.

Now, I use it everyday, twice a day, leaving it on for 15 minutes before washing off. I used have very oily skin before, but now? Haha! Not anymore.

I use keto/nizoral from time to time. It does wonders with the H&S.

#5 The Darkest Cloud

The Darkest Cloud

|TheComeUp|

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

Oh you let it sit for 15 mins? I just let it sit for a minute then wash off....I might try letting it sit longer though seeing you seem to have found it better. Is your skin not extra dry from letting it sit that long? Mine is kind of "tight dry" after leaving it on for a very short time....but thanks for that, I might try that tonight. Yeah I suffered from real oily skin prior to using H&S. I used come home from school, look it in the mirror and see my face shiny and oily like a girls make up gone wrong haha. I use it x2 a day as well :)

One Love

#6 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

It does get dry, but I can wash off the residue along with the dead skin cells. My face is a little red after washing, so I just pat dry and wait for my skin to adjust. Doesn't take more than 30 minutes. Then I massage the skin - no moisturiser. You can apply moisturiser if you want. Everyones different I guess.

#7 The Darkest Cloud

The Darkest Cloud

|TheComeUp|

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hey man, I've been following your recommendation of leaving H&S sit on the skin for longer and I've noticed good results. I'm only leaving it on for 5 mins, but i'll build it up but for sure I've noticed improvements. Pimples are healing faster! And I haven't done toothbrush exfoliation since saturday because frankly I don't see the need for it. I'll probably do it on Saturday but it's good to see I'm reducing it....man I owe you big time. Already I'm noticing improvements with leaving it sit longer! :) thanks a million man

One Love

#8 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:34 AM

HAHA! That's awesome news bro!

Keep us updated on your results.

H&S will heal the acne, but preventing acne is a lil bit harder. You need nizoral shampoo for that.

Once your acne has healed, start using nizoral shampoo.

Apply a pea sized amount of H&S to affected areas - spread thinly. Wait 5-10 minutes. Then rinse off. Don't dry the acne prone areas but rather let them dry on their own. Should take around 15 minutes. Then, apply a tiny smount of nizoral shampoo to the acne prone skin, and wait 5 minutes. Rinse off, and wait for skin to dry before applying moisturiser or anything. This should take roughly 15 minutes as well.

Do this twice a day or at least once a day. Should prevent new acne.

#9 Alex81

Alex81

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Is there any side effect of azeleic acid?

#10 Sunshine*

Sunshine*

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

This is Great =) These are some of my tips as well as my regimen if anyone is interested!

Before & After

Attached File  kdskd.JPG   58.81K   17 downloadsAttached File  kvds.JPG   637.93K   17 downloads

WINTER Routine - Combination Acne-Prone skin that gets clogged pores and irritation
Morning Routine: CLEANSE +MOISURIZE
1.Cleanse with avene ultra rich Soap-free cleansing bar *Never use a washcloth to rub or scrub your face - this causes irritation which can lead to enflamed skin/acne.
2.PAT dry with a soft towel and let the rest of the water evaporate from the skin
3.Apply Origins Vitazing moisturizer(if I want a slight glow) OR Olay Sensitive Skin Moisturizer OR Reversa glycolic acid 8% lotion w/SPF
Night Routine:CLEANSE+TONE+TREAT+MOISTURIZE *Always make sure your hands are clean before touching your face- That includes before washing your face.
1.Remove eye makeup (makeup-removing pads, lotion, oil,)
2.Cleanse with avene ultra rich Soap-free cleansing bar x2 (to remove all traces of makeup)
3. STEP 2. from morning routine
4. Gently wipe face with witch hazel on a cotton pad(as a toner) + Avene Makeup Remover Micellar lotion(use as a toner as well and it adds moisture back into your skin)
5.Gently apply a serum or cream to the eye area
6.Run a Q-tip under cold water and squeeze out the excess water from the tip - apply 1 drop of tea tree oil - dab on any spots or pimples that you have. Tea tree oil is antifungal, antibacterial and a Natural antiseptic. Wait for face to completely dry. ( This takes about 10 minutes and is ESSENTIAL for the next step)
7.Gently apply BenzaClin(prescribed acne medication which contains benzoyl perozide and clindamycin) *If my skin is feeling dry from this treatment I will skip BenzaClin for 1 night and continue the next day * I also alternate with Retin-A cream(also prescribed by my dermatologist - used for wrinkles, blackheads, whiteheads and promoting collagen) *BOTH of these creams can be extremely drying if not used correctly or overused. Listen to your skin and don't overdo it. Everything takes time. Your skin has to adjust to these medications * Also DO NOT share acne medications. They are prescibed to you, and you only. Consult your doctor before using these medications. 7.On the Nights that I don't use my acne Medications I will put on a light layer of Olay moisturizer for sensitive skin. Sleep - and let your body do its own healing wonders Posted Image

Weekly Treatments:
>Once a week- Manual Exfoliation @ night time. Complete Steps 1 and 2 from Night Routine. While face is still wet, use exfoliating beads of some sort or try my favourite (baking soda+ pinch of sea salt+ brown sugar + honey). Follow with Steps 3 and so on. *use moisturiser instead of the acne treatment as skin is fragile after exfoliation.

>Once a week- Chemical Exfoliation @ night time. *Leave about 4-7 days between Manual and Chemical Exfoliation and NEVER exfoliate irritated or broken skin* Complete Steps 1 and 2 from Night Routine. Leave skin damp. I use a mask which contains glycolic acid(AHA) and Kaolin Clay(great for absorbing excess oil). Leave On for 10-15 minutes and gently rinse off.
-An alternate to this mask: soak a cotton pad in lemon juice(natural AHA) and apply to your face in a gentle circular motion. Leave lemon juice on for 5 minutes. Beginners be careful(maybe try 2 minutes at first). Apply a kaolin clay mask(I like the Freeman brand from the drugstore) to damp skin. Leave On for 10-15 minutes and gently rinse off. Follow with Steps 3 and so on. *use moisturiser instead of the acne treatment as skin is fragile after exfoliation. *NOTE: you MUST use a sunscreen during the day! AHAs make your skin extremely sensitive to sunlight.

Other masks that you can do during the week a few days after exfoliation day:
>Oatmeal+honey+water - mix all three together to make a paste. Quite messy but great for absorbing oil!
>Egg whites- apply to face and put on thin pieces of toilet paper overtop(pull one sheet apart so you have 2 thin pieces). Let the mask harden like paper mache. and peel off pieces. It works like biore pore strips from unplugging blackheads and what not Posted Image
>Freeman cucumber peel off mask - hurts a little if u have little hairs on your face but it makes your skin really soft
Tips for Clear Skin:
-Always splash water on your face when cleansing, never rub or scrub the skin. This will help to avoid irritation.
-Gently splash water on your face, make a lather in your hands with your cleanser and gently glide your fingers over your skin - Let the face wash do the work, not your fingers.
-Drink plenty of water. Go to Google and type in Water Calculator. There is a neat site that calculates how much you need to drink per day. Don't drink this water all at once- divide the amount your body needs and drink several glasses throughout day.
-Eat a healthy balanced diet. A Healthy balance of all the essentials is key! Check out foodguides online to see what you need to eat for a healthier you!
-Get a good oil free moisturizer. Even Oily skin types can be dehydrated. We all need it!
-Wear SPF. This is so important- especially to prevent aging, pigmentation, and SKIN CANCER!
-Sleep.. your body needs sleep to heal itself and rejuvenate.. Thats why its called BEAUTY SLEEP! hehe
-Exercise.. sooo crutial to healthy skin. Sweating helps rid your body of toxins and impurities as well as getting the blood to flow. Not only is this good for your skin but beneficial to your whole body.
Last but not least, try not to stress yourself out.. Stress is a big factor when it comes to your skin's condition. Just relax, take a bath, read a book, go for a walk, hang out with friends, smile and laugh and BE HAPPY!!!!

This is my own personal routine and may not work for everyone but I just thought I'd share what works for me!

p.s. Will update when the weather gets a little bit warmer- Still Chilly here in Canada!

Edited by Sunshine*, 16 April 2012 - 11:35 AM.