Photo

Help! Blackheads & Large Pores, Nothing Works

blackheads severe large pores tazorac oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Well, lucky you! When are you going to start? Also, to update you on Taz: I really don't know what to do anymore I even cry! :( With primer/makeup my pores look really nice but as soon as I take that off my pores are deep and large and even a lot bigger than they were before Taz! (especially on my nose where I already have those big random pores with weird lines through them..). I don't know what's happening there and if that's even possible! I don't know if I should stick to it or not...any suggestions?? :(

#22 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Sooo, the Tazorac 0.1 is working a lot better than the 0.05 percent strength. Still, my pores are huge and a few blackheads remain. It makes me so self conscious :( I am generally happy with my looks EXCEPT for my skin/hair... It really gets me down. My skin looks like a 40 year old's skin would look like because my pores just make my skin look so uneven and not smooth :( I don#t have inflamed acne at all except for one pimple here and there but those blackheads/large pores just make me so angry!!! Also, my foundation always sinks into them. I bought a Bobbi Brown (Skin Foundation) recently and the sales lady slathered on the Hydrating Face Cream which gave me toooons of blackheads in the creases of my nose (they were nearly gone!!) aww I hate this. Anyone know a good foundation for large pores that will not cause blackheads? And SavyBanana, how is your Accutane course going? xx

#23 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Hey kimisj! I'm so glad to hear the Tazorac 0.1 is working better for you! Just hang in there, I'm positive things will get better. Retinoids are so good for large pores; I even plan to go back on retin-a after I'm done with Accutane. I know how you're feeling though. My skin looks so normal with foundation and primer, but without it my skin, like you said, looks like a 40 year old woman's! The sad thing is though that most 40 year old women that I know have smaller pores than me! :( So far the Accutane has been working very well. My skin is just starting to clear up after my initial breakout (which wasn't very bad). No difference in my pores yet, but I'm just finishing my second week on it, so I didn't really expect results that soon. The best part though is that I don't get oily AT ALL anymore! I can go like at least sixteen hours without even a hint of an oil breakthrough, probably even longer. It's amazing! My makeup stays perfect all day long. I started a blog on here if you want to check it out sometime, and you can just go to my profile page to find it. I post once every week. Anyways, I hope the best for you and your skin! Good luck! :)

#24 Dboy28

Dboy28

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Im sorry to bring up an older post. But i have the exact same problem as all of you. I cant go to school without coming home to a nice big pimple. I don't really have to much inflamed acne. (A couple pimples as a result of oily skin) but my pores are huge and my skin is terribly oily plus my whole forehead is covered in blackheads. (Little flesh colored bumps). (After 20 mins washing) I use a gentle cleanser. And i spot treat with Benzoyl Proxide. A while ago i was prescribed ziana from my derm but it did absolutely nothing but irritate the hell out of my skin. Plus gave me even more blackheads. Then last week i was prescribed epiduo and after using it for a week (I know very short) it hasn't made any sort of change in my skin. Im 14 years old so i know my hormones must be all messed up but not a single other person has oily skin like me. Like its very bad. Id really like going on accutane but no one will prescribe me that as my acne isnt bad enough. But these little bumps all over my forehead and cheeks stick out and look gross. Plus Ive been getting inflamed pimples now. I'm a guy and Ive litterly cried over how bad i look.

Ive tryed the following with no help:

Aveda liquid exfoliant
Paulas chocie BHA 2% lotion
Witch Hazel toner
Different astringents (Clean and clear, neutrogena)
Different exfoliant scrubs (Clean and clear blackhead eraser, St. Ives, Neutrogena, you name it)
Proactive, acnefree, everything.

I'm so sad right now its terrible. I need some major help.

#25 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Im sorry to bring up an older post. But i have the exact same problem as all of you. I cant go to school without coming home to a nice big pimple. I don't really have to much inflamed acne. (A couple pimples as a result of oily skin) but my pores are huge and my skin is terribly oily plus my whole forehead is covered in blackheads. (Little flesh colored bumps). (After 20 mins washing) I use a gentle cleanser. And i spot treat with Benzoyl Proxide. A while ago i was prescribed ziana from my derm but it did absolutely nothing but irritate the hell out of my skin. Plus gave me even more blackheads. Then last week i was prescribed epiduo and after using it for a week (I know very short) it hasn't made any sort of change in my skin. Im 14 years old so i know my hormones must be all messed up but not a single other person has oily skin like me. Like its very bad. Id really like going on accutane but no one will prescribe me that as my acne isnt bad enough. But these little bumps all over my forehead and cheeks stick out and look gross. Plus Ive been getting inflamed pimples now. I'm a guy and Ive litterly cried over how bad i look.

Aveda liquid exfoliant
Witch Hazel toner
Different exfoliant scrubs (Clean and clear blackhead eraser, St. Ives, Neutrogena, you name it)

I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time, I totally know how it feels! I've tried all the astringents, exfoliants, acids, etc. as well, and of course they didn't shrink my pores. I am on Accutane right now, but I had to come to terms with the fact that it probably won't shrink my pores down to the size I would like (which is invisible!), so if you do end up going on Accutane be conscious of that. There are derms out there that will prescribe Accutane to people with mild persistent acne if they have extremely oily skin, so if you are really determined and ready to take it, I would say go out there and find one who will. By my third day of taking Accutane I wasn't oily anymore, which is crazy because I had the oiliest skin! I usually hate it when people do this to me, but have you possibly tried retin-a? This was the only thing before I started taking Accutane that made a difference in my pores, and my skin just looked so much healthier. It is a hassle in the beginning because it can make your skin red and flaky, but that will go away as you use it longer. If you want more information on retin-a you can message me.

Besides finding a treatment that works for you, I think the best thing you can do for yourself is confront why small pores have become such a beauty ideal. I've come to the realization that it's actually kind of ridiculous. Our pores are such a small detail of bodies, and yet we worry and obsess and let them define us and our beauty. Everyone had pores as they're essential to our skin, so why should it matter that they are visible? When did this become the definition of "large pores"? If you look around at the people you see on a day to day basis, if you look close enough, you may notice that a lot of people have what the beauty industry defines as "large pores." It's actually quite common. Most people don't have what the beauty industry and media tell us is the ideal skin. Why should we listen when we are told large pores are gross? It's just like any other beauty ideal these days. As a female, I am constantly told I need to be a stick skinny ginormous boobed cheeto puff tanned girl to be beautiful, but I don't want to look like that! Shouldn't it be the same thing when it comes to our skin and our pores? We, as regular people, should define what is beautiful and attractive, not the crazy media and beauty industry. These industries create these beauty ideals to instill insecurities in regular people in hopes of driving us to fix these "problems" by buying their products. Realize that real people are never going to reach these standards, and most of the people in your life really won't notice or care. Anyone who does has a warped view of life and beauty and probably has insecurities of their own.

#26 Dboy28

Dboy28

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

Aveda liquid exfoliant
Witch Hazel toner

I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time, I totally know how it feels! I've tried all the astringents, exfoliants, acids, etc. as well, and of course they didn't shrink my pores. I am on Accutane right now, but I had to come to terms with the fact that it probably won't shrink my pores down to the size I would like (which is invisible!), so if you do end up going on Accutane be conscious of that. There are derms out there that will prescribe Accutane to people with mild persistent acne if they have extremely oily skin, so if you are really determined and ready to take it, I would say go out there and find one who will. By my third day of taking Accutane I wasn't oily anymore, which is crazy because I had the oiliest skin! I usually hate it when people do this to me, but have you possibly tried retin-a? This was the only thing before I started taking Accutane that made a difference in my pores, and my skin just looked so much healthier. It is a hassle in the beginning because it can make your skin red and flaky, but that will go away as you use it longer. If you want more information on retin-a you can message me.

Besides finding a treatment that works for you, I think the best thing you can do for yourself is confront why small pores have become such a beauty ideal. I've come to the realization that it's actually kind of ridiculous. Our pores are such a small detail of bodies, and yet we worry and obsess and let them define us and our beauty. Everyone had pores as they're essential to our skin, so why should it matter that they are visible? When did this become the definition of "large pores"? If you look around at the people you see on a day to day basis, if you look close enough, you may notice that a lot of people have what the beauty industry defines as "large pores." It's actually quite common. Most people don't have what the beauty industry and media tell us is the ideal skin. Why should we listen when we are told large pores are gross? It's just like any other beauty ideal these days. As a female, I am constantly told I need to be a stick skinny ginormous boobed cheeto puff tanned girl to be beautiful, but I don't want to look like that! Shouldn't it be the same thing when it comes to our skin and our pores? We, as regular people, should define what is beautiful and attractive, not the crazy media and beauty industry. These industries create these beauty ideals to instill insecurities in regular people in hopes of driving us to fix these "problems" by buying their products. Realize that real people are never going to reach these standards, and most of the people in your life really won't notice or care. Anyone who does has a warped view of life and beauty and probably has insecurities of their own.

Im on epiduo right now its only been about 2 days so i cant say anything yet. Ive heard a lot about retin-a but my derm immedietely thought eipduo would work great. Just my problem is this oily skin. After i wash my face and I apply the gel the blackheads already look like they have lessened. Yea until my face starts oiling up again. I think that if my skin wasnt so oily i wouldnt have a problem getting rid of my acne. I need a way to stop the terrible oil. But also about accutane. I really searched into how serious that is and theres no doctor that will prescribe that to a 14 year old. (Forgot to mention i was 14) There has to be something else i can orally take to get rid of this oily skin.

#27 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Differin dont work, manuka honey dont work, microdermabrasion dont work....laser genesis dont work.....

#28 SuperMachii

SuperMachii

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

The suggested grapeseed oil and safflower oil in this link below can be a possible solution to normalizing sebum. But of course I can't vouch for it.
http://www.acne.org/...pical-solution/

Edited by Wangod, 18 June 2012 - 05:03 PM.