Photo

Help! Blackheads & Large Pores, Nothing Works

blackheads severe large pores tazorac oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:23 AM

Hi everyone!
I am a 15 year old female from German descent. My parents both have large pores and my dad has had acne as a teen but they never dealt with blackheads. I have very pale skin, and my face just looks horrible. I have really deep and severe blackheads all over my nose and cheeks. Logically, my pores are also HUGE. My skin makes me so self concious!!! I can't even go into the sun as I'm afraid my face looks 10x worse than it does in normal lighting!! I put my make up on in the dark so I don't have to see myself!! I am really, really desperate and don't know what to do! :( My derm gave me Tazorac 0.05 gel recently but it doesn't seem to work. It made my skin really dry at first and some blackheads went away but then everything returned back to normal... Should I go for the 0.1 strength? My skin is also really sensitive and gets red really easily. I'd say I have combination skin because my nose and forehead are oily but I get really dry and flaky skin sometimes too (anything marketed towards oily skin dries my face out and vice versa..). So my face is just a complete mess! Can anyone please help me or suggest something that will work? I've tried countless things from the drugstore and department store and they all did nothing! I have stumbled across Paula Begoun recently and I think she is wonderful but I don't know if I should try her products...

At the moment I'm using:
CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser (AM&PM)
Tazorac 0.05 Gel (PM)
CeraVe Moisturizing Facial Lotions AM and PM version

Thank you!!!

#2 Lange

Lange

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

May want to look in SA peel, my pores have gotten a bit smaller and its supposed to work for blackheads and comedones.

#3 saladmittens

saladmittens

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

It really sounds like you'd be a good candidate for Roaccutane/Isotretinoin. Get an appointment with a dermatologist and discuss it with them if you haven't already. It's a serious drug but it did absolute wonders for my skin.

#4 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

It really sounds like you'd be a good candidate for Roaccutane/Isotretinoin. Get an appointment with a dermatologist and discuss it with them if you haven't already. It's a serious drug but it did absolute wonders for my skin.

Are you sure? I heard soooo many good things about Accutane but most derm's only prescribe it to patients with severe, inflamed acne (cysts, nodules...) which I don't have! Did you have blackheads and did it help? I'm mostly scared about all the side effects it can have (depression being one of them and I suffered depression some years ago...) Thanks!! :)

#5 HapaMommy

HapaMommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Have you tried getting a facial? They steam and exfoliate your face and do extractions (remove whiteheads and blackheads). It's recommended that your get regular facials once every 1-2 months. It is pricey but worth if if your current regimen is not working for you.

#6 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

Oh my goodness I feel ya girl! I have absolutely the HUGEST pores in the entire world, I am completely disgusted with my face. I also have blackheads all over my nose. I'm 16 now and I haven't gone out without makeup in three years. I wash my face in the morning in the dark because I can't stand to look at myself. I have a derm appointment on March 6th and I'm going to beg for Accutane. That and Retin-A are the only two things that will actually shrink your pores, but Retin-A is only temporary and your pores will return to their original state if you stop using it. I tried using Retin-A a year ago but my skin was waaaaay too sensitive for it, it was a nightmare, so I don't recommend you use it since you too have sensitive skin. Maybe you could talk to your dermatologist about Accutane, but I suggest you research it quite a bit before you take it because it is a very serious drug. I've been researching it for seven months and have finally come to the decision to ask for it. Keep me posted on what you decide to do, I'd love to talk to someone who has similar skin issues. Good luck!

#7 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Oh my goodness I feel ya girl! I have absolutely the HUGEST pores in the entire world, I am completely disgusted with my face. I also have blackheads all over my nose. I'm 16 now and I haven't gone out without makeup in three years. I wash my face in the morning in the dark because I can't stand to look at myself. I have a derm appointment on March 6th and I'm going to beg for Accutane. That and Retin-A are the only two things that will actually shrink your pores, but Retin-A is only temporary and your pores will return to their original state if you stop using it. I tried using Retin-A a year ago but my skin was waaaaay too sensitive for it, it was a nightmare, so I don't recommend you use it since you too have sensitive skin. Maybe you could talk to your dermatologist about Accutane, but I suggest you research it quite a bit before you take it because it is a very serious drug. I've been researching it for seven months and have finally come to the decision to ask for it. Keep me posted on what you decide to do, I'd love to talk to someone who has similar skin issues. Good luck!

Hi! Oooh god haha you're like the only person I know that has the same problem as I do! I wash my face in the dark too!!! All my friends make fun of me b/c of that :D I would really like to try accutane but I think my derm would laugh at me because I don't have cysts and inflamed acne and stuff like that... If I could have perfect skin, I don't care if my hair falls out or anything lol ;) , so yeah I would absolutely take it but I'm really not sure if someone would prescribe it to me..but let me know what your derm said! Does Accutane shrink your pores for good???

Have you tried getting a facial? They steam and exfoliate your face and do extractions (remove whiteheads and blackheads). It's recommended that your get regular facials once every 1-2 months. It is pricey but worth if if your current regimen is not working for you.

Hi :) I have tried lots of facials but in the end, it didn't work at all :(

#8 HapaMommy

HapaMommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Have you also tried exfoliating? I started using a Clarisonic brush with a gentle cleanser and was able to get those stubborn blackheads off my nose. I don't have big pores but I found that they are shrinking. It's pricey but I find some websites like Sephora offer a full refund if more than have the product is not used.

#9 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Have you also tried exfoliating? I started using a Clarisonic brush with a gentle cleanser and was able to get those stubborn blackheads off my nose. I don't have big pores but I found that they are shrinking. It's pricey but I find some websites like Sephora offer a full refund if more than have the product is not used.

Hi again :) Yes, I own the Clarisonic Mia2 in pink and it does make my skin smoother and softer but did nothing for my pores & blackheads :( I'm really thinking about Accutane, but I don't know any derm who would prescribe it. Thanks though!! :)

#10 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi! Oooh god haha you're like the only person I know that has the same problem as I do! I wash my face in the dark too!!! All my friends make fun of me b/c of that Posted Image I would really like to try accutane but I think my derm would laugh at me because I don't have cysts and inflamed acne and stuff like that... If I could have perfect skin, I don't care if my hair falls out or anything lol Posted Image , so yeah I would absolutely take it but I'm really not sure if someone would prescribe it to me..but let me know what your derm said! Does Accutane shrink your pores for good???

Hi Posted Image I have tried lots of facials but in the end, it didn't work at all Posted Image

Haha yeah my sister always makes fun of me for washing my face in the dark, but hey, it works for me! I totally feel the same way, if I could have perfect skin I don't care about the annoying side effects. As far as I know Accutane shrinks your pores permanently because its actually shrinking the oil glands that open up to your pores, which is why the pores shrink. I'm afraid my dermatologist won't prescribe it to me, but I'll definitely let you know!

#11 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hi! Oooh god haha you're like the only person I know that has the same problem as I do! I wash my face in the dark too!!! All my friends make fun of me b/c of that Posted Image I would really like to try accutane but I think my derm would laugh at me because I don't have cysts and inflamed acne and stuff like that... If I could have perfect skin, I don't care if my hair falls out or anything lol Posted Image , so yeah I would absolutely take it but I'm really not sure if someone would prescribe it to me..but let me know what your derm said! Does Accutane shrink your pores for good???

Hi Posted Image I have tried lots of facials but in the end, it didn't work at all Posted Image

Haha yeah my sister always makes fun of me for washing my face in the dark, but hey, it works for me! I totally feel the same way, if I could have perfect skin I don't care about the annoying side effects. As far as I know Accutane shrinks your pores permanently because its actually shrinking the oil glands that open up to your pores, which is why the pores shrink. I'm afraid my dermatologist won't prescribe it to me, but I'll definitely let you know!

Oh my, that is great news! I'm hooked on trying Accutane now! Please let me know how the appt worked out for you and if it did, how you convinced your derm ;) I also have this annoying problem due to the Taz right now.. My skin doesn't look dry when I don't wear make up, but as soon as I put foundation on (L'oreal True Match), it looks as if I still had a peel off mask on my face! Soooo annoying! If I use rich moisturizers to combat that, I get more blackheads. If I don't, the flakes don't go away- HELP??? :D Thanks!!

#12 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Oh my, that is great news! I'm hooked on trying Accutane now! Please let me know how the appt worked out for you and if it did, how you convinced your derm Posted Image I also have this annoying problem due to the Taz right now.. My skin doesn't look dry when I don't wear make up, but as soon as I put foundation on (L'oreal True Match), it looks as if I still had a peel off mask on my face! Soooo annoying! If I use rich moisturizers to combat that, I get more blackheads. If I don't, the flakes don't go away- HELP??? Posted Image Thanks!!

Of course! There is this Clinique moisturizer called "dramatically different moisturizing lotion" that I love! It's really light and it doesn't break me out all but it works! I also use "ultra lite moisture dew cream" by Derma Topix every night. It's super light and it never breaks me out. It actually made my skin less oily.

#13 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Thank you, I'll check that out! Also, to keep you posted, I stopped using Taz now. It made my pores bigger than they were before!!! I want to cry :( My pores look like big deep pools on my face and foundation always settles in them! I really don't know what to do. Paula's Choice 2%BHA Liquid has done something for the blackheads, but my pores stay big and ugly!!! :( Do you know if, as time goes by, the BHA will do something for my pores? I am so desperate!!! Thank you again :)

#14 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

Sometimes the pores expand when you first start a new treatment because they are becoming unclogged. This happened when I used retin a, so I stopped, which I probably shouldn't have done.It's so frustrating! I just started using retin a again last week so we'll see how that goes this time. Posted Image BHA (salicylic acid) is supposed to help shrink pores by unclogging them, which it does by exfoliating your skin. From my experience it doesn't noticeably shrink pores. I wipe my face every night after cleansing with acne medicated pads containing 2% Glycolic Acid and 2% Salicylic Acid, which keeps me pretty clear most of the time, but sadly it hasn't done much for my pores.Posted Image Gosh, who knew skin could be such a pain?!

#15 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

Yeah, that's what I figured out too. I started using Tazorac again yesterday, I hope it works by unclogging them, opening them and then closing them again ;) I'm also going to get the 0.1 strength gel (I use the 0.05 gel, which is actually for psoriasis!), maybe it works better. Which Retin - A strength do you use? Now I use: Paula's Choice CLEAR Cleanser or Skin Balancing Cleanser, Skin Balancing Toner, 2%BHA Liquid, Tazorac and Skin Balancing Moisture Gel. Mornings: Cleanse, tone and exfoliate (same as pm) and afterwards apply the Acne Treatment (also PC, the regular strength one) and the Moisture Boost Daily Complex SPF 30.
I also got some lines from my nose to my mouth??? I'M ONLY 15!! My skin really freaks me out, especially when I see my friends with their perfect,poreless skin :(
Which pads do you use? And how is your regimen at the moment? I'm really happy that I found someone with the same skin as I do :)! Good luck for you dermatologist appt. tomorrow!!! <3

#16 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Yeah, that&amp;amp;amp;#39;s what I figured out too. I started using Tazorac again yesterday, I hope it works by unclogging them, opening them and then closing them again http&amp;amp;#58;//www.acne.org/messageboard//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png I&amp;amp;amp;#39;m also going to get the 0.1 strength gel (I use the 0.05 gel, which is actually for psoriasis!), maybe it works better. Which Retin - A strength do you use? Now I use: Paula&amp;amp;amp;#39;s Choice CLEAR Cleanser or Skin Balancing Cleanser, Skin Balancing Toner, 2%BHA Liquid, Tazorac and Skin Balancing Moisture Gel. Mornings: Cleanse, tone and exfoliate (same as pm) and afterwards apply the Acne Treatment (also PC, the regular strength one) and the Moisture Boost Daily Complex SPF 30.
I also got some lines from my nose to my mouth??? I&amp;amp;amp;#39;M ONLY 15!! My skin really freaks me out, especially when I see my friends with their perfect,poreless skin http&amp;amp;#58;//www.acne.org/messageboard//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png
Which pads do you use? And how is your regimen at the moment? I&amp;amp;amp;#39;m really happy that I found someone with the same skin as I do http&amp;amp;#58;//www.acne.org/messageboard//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png! Good luck for you dermatologist appt. tomorrow!!! &amp;amp;amp;lt;3

Oh good, I hope the Tazorac works for you! Taz is a retinoid right? I haven't heard much about it so definitely let me know how the treatment goes! Currently I'm using 0.025% (the lowest strength) because my skin needs time to adjust. It still feels so strong on my skin. My face is a mess right now, but I'm sticking to it! Right now I am using Replenix Purifying Antioxidant Foaming Cleanser, Glycolix Elite Acne Medicated Pads, Ultra Lite Moisture Dew Cream, Glycolix Elite SPF 30, Biore Even Smoother Microderm Exfoliator, Retin-A gel 0.025%, and Clindamycin Phosphate Gel. In the mornings I cleanse with the Replenix, apply the Clindamycin gel, and put on the SPF 30 before applying my makeup. At night I alternate between two regimens: cleanse, exfoliate, wipe my face with the medicated pads, apply the Clindamycin to any acne spots, and apply moisturizer or cleanse, apply retin-a, and moisturize. I'm really gentle with my skin when I use the retin-a because my skin gets very sensitive. Oh, and I'm also taking Doxycycline at night. I stopped taking it in the mornings because it always made me nauseous. It's hard to tell what really works but my skin has gotten a lot better than what it used to be, so something must be working, at least a little. Posted Image I get lines around my mouth too, and under my eyes. I think it's just from using so many drying products. My skin definitely freaks me out too. I don't feel normal, especially around my poreless friends! I'm so glad too that I have someone I can relate to! I'm curious, what makeup do you use? And how do you feel your regimen is going? And thanks! I hope my appointment goes well! Posted Image

Edited by TheSavyBanana, 05 March 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#17 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Just dropping in to tell you I got Accutane prescribed! I'm happy beyond belief! It was actually very easy to get it, shockingly. I just went in and the derm asked what I was currently using for my acne and then suggested some other topicals, which I had already tried. She then brought up Accutane, and I told her that was what I wanted to take. She told me she had no problem prescribing it for me, so that's it! I have to wait a month to be registered in the ipledge program and get my blood and pregnancy tests done, and then I can go pick it up at the pharmacy. I would say you should definitely go see your derm and talk about!

#18 hannahbend

hannahbend

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

I don't have acne except for the non-inflamed kind. I have perfect cheeks, but my t-zone is all black heads and large pores and oily. I, at the moment am trying some experimentation. I am doing a turmeric face mask every night for a month to see if it helps at all. I've only been doing it for a few days, so I can't say anything yet, but I am hoping it works, and I recommend it for you as well. It's been used in Asia for 2500 years! It does stain your face yellow a bit, but just wash your face with a gentle cleanser before and after the mask. (1 tsp turmeric powder and enough milk to make it the consistency of lotion and leave on for no more than 10 minutes of you have fair skin like me) And any residual staining is gone by morning. So far it's been making my skin really nice and soft. My best friend is using a moisturizer that I plan on getting soon that I also recommend. Its the Garnier gel moisturizer, it doesnt clog pores and is really light. I hope this helped!

#19 kimisj

kimisj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hi! I'm really careful with masks like this because most DIY masks either break me out or irritate my skin. I really don't know if Taz makes my pores bigger because my pores were not as big as they are now in the beginning... Is it possible? And should I just keep using it and see how it goes? Maybe it's the strength I'm currently using (0.05) but I'm switching to 0.1 next week...
Oh and about the gel moisturizer - please don't buy that one!!! It contains a lot of alcohol and perfume and will possibly make your problem worse!! I'm using Paula's Choice, works great but if thats too complicated (buying online...) try out the Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture Sensitive Skin - does not clog pores at all and makes skin soft AND is fragrance, oil and alcohol free!! :)

Just dropping in to tell you I got Accutane prescribed! I'm happy beyond belief! It was actually very easy to get it, shockingly. I just went in and the derm asked what I was currently using for my acne and then suggested some other topicals, which I had already tried. She then brought up Accutane, and I told her that was what I wanted to take. She told me she had no problem prescribing it for me, so that's it! I have to wait a month to be registered in the ipledge program and get my blood and pregnancy tests done, and then I can go pick it up at the pharmacy. I would say you should definitely go see your derm and talk about!

That is so wonderful! Congrats :) If you don't mind I'd really appreciate if you shared your experience!! I went to my derm and she told me she only prescribes Accutane to patients with severe INFLAMED acne (cysts etc.) :( However, she prescribed me Taz 0.1 instead of 0.05, hope this is going to help!! Lots of luck girl :)

#20 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Thank you! Posted Image Of course, I'll let you know how it goes!! Well, your dermatologist is definitely more conservative than mine. My acne has gotten so bad on my chin in the last three months though so I'm glad I'll be taking Accutane. Good luck with the Taz, and thank you again!