Photo

Need Help- Pimples Leave Brown Mark In Their Place When Gone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 sadgeorgy

sadgeorgy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

Hi guys:

I'm 33 and still get the occasional pimples, mainly when I eat fried or oily foods. Anyhow, up until a few months ago, whenever a pimple went away, that was the end of the story, no trace on my face that it existed. However, starting 3-4 months ago, all of the pimple I've had since left a brownish round mark on my face when they went away. At first I thought they were just temporary marks, but after 3 months and still not seeing the earliest one dissipate, I'm starting to get worried. Can anyone else relate, and any suggestions on how to get rid of these marks safely?

Thanks,

#2 Ashley Elizabeth Sego

Ashley Elizabeth Sego

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

Post acne marks can take a very long time to to fade, because scars can go all the way to the deep layer of skin and the skin has to take time regenerate itself.
I have had some scars for a few months too. But lately I tried using lemon juice to fade them... and it worked!
My marks are almost gone now. :)
I think you should give it a try, all you have to do is buy a fresh lemon (usually 30-50 cents) and add 1-3 drops in a table spoon with some water. Then you take a cotton swab or ball and dip it in the solution, and dab it on the marks.

Now, this is a warning: It might tingle (or burn, if you don't dilute it) -- you can also dry out your skin if you don't add some water to the lemon juice.

Good luck! Fresh lemon works best. :) Try only before bed.

#3 sadgeorgy

sadgeorgy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hey Ashley:
Thanks for the advice! I use lemon juice already actually from time to time on my face. For me I just cut a small wedge, squeeze the juice onto my hand, and just apply it on my face. So far it hasn't worked for the brown spots left behind by my pimples though. I wouldn't call them acne scars, just that, brown spots. Also as mentioned, I never would get them after a pimple went away, only starting a few months ago. It's really wierd, it's like my face is no longer regenerating after each pimple eventually goes away, for lack of a better word to describe it.

#4 faiintx

faiintx

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

i've been using bio oil (you can look at my topic called "Almost.[pics]" and look at pictures I take weekly for this BIG brown spot i have on my nose). It seems to be working okay so far. It takes 3 months to work though. And for some people, bio oil breaks them out, so don't rub it all over your face. Good luck!

#5 sadgeorgy

sadgeorgy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Thank you faintx! You've helped me put a name to my condition, which apparently is called PIH (Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation). That's a huge step, since it means I can start researching into the various treatments. Reading up on the condition, it seems I'm already using on a daily basis products that should help with PIH, such as alpha and beta hydroxy acids (I use Paula's Choice). I see that it may take a few months for PIH to go away, so it may just be a matter of patience. If my current routine doesn't work, I'll try the bio oil suggestion.

Thanks again, and if I uncover any product that works well for my PIH, I'll be sure to update you on it.

#6 HapaMommy

HapaMommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

To treat PIH depends on your skin tone. If it's brown that means you have darker thicker skin and could take from 2-18 months (says my term and I know from personal experience). There are different ways to treat it- hydroquinone (not recommended for dark skin causes halo effect around spots), retinoids, chemical peels and microdermabrasion. You also should use sunscreen preferably with zinc oxide (other active ingredients degrade quickly) to keep them from getting darker.

I currently use Differin (which takes time) but also started microdermabrasion and it helps speeds the process and makes the retinoids more effective. I have dark PIH from folliculitis and after one treatment I saw immediate results and over the days they got lighter. (Some were pretty bad- almost black). I just had my second treatment (7 weeks later) and the old spots are almost completely gone (and barely visible under mineral make up) and the newer spots have faded. I'm am going to keep up with regular microderm treatments (the hydra facial uses lactic acids and other acids to increase the spot treatment). Good luck and I hope this helps!

#7 sadgeorgy

sadgeorgy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

Thanks Hapamom for the tips! I can see my dark marks are shrinking in size already just based on my current regime (Paula's BHA at night, lemon juice sometimes in the morning). They are shrinking very slowly though; at this pace it'll probably be another 6 months before they're totally gone. The scary thing now is the possibility that every new pimple I get in the future will leave a brown mark and take a long time to disappear. I try and avoid fried foods and sweets like chocolates as much as possible now to minmize the chances of getting new pimples.

#8 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

They do diappear fast sometimes. I had one spot on my nose, which was a remain from a 5 month old pimple, then for some reason in 2 weeks it disappeared completely. I didn't notice it fade.

I was applying, essential oils on my face, and was also practicing spiritual healing, that might have helped.