Photo

I Give Up On Accutane (40 Mg) - 63 Days In (2 Months)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 DukeBlueDevils

DukeBlueDevils

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

**I'm not saying I'm going to stop taking Accutane. I'm saying that I give up on it doing any good for me and actually clearing my face. Essentially, I'm taking it for no reason since it doesn't work**

I have been on Accutane for 63 days now and it hasn't done anything whatsoever. The only thing it has really done is give me dry lips and make my skin dry (especially my nose). Don't get me wrong, I'm happy my nose is dry now and there isn't a crap load of oil all over it like there used to be pre Accutane. Another thing it's done is stopped the breakouts on my forehead and my chin (and nose). I have dead skin on my forehead (from the past where small pimples were) at the moment because I pick (when I used to not EVER pick). I pick out of frustration. It's a bad habit, but I get frustrated (angry/depressed) really easily.

The main thing Accutane has not helped is the PIH (Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation) on my cheeks. If anything, it's made my PIH even WORSE. My PIH on my cheeks has been there for at least two years and it hasn't gotten any better. I thought Accutane would for sure clear it up but it hasn't. My cheeks are definitely the worst spots on my face and they look like shit. If my cheeks would actually clear up, my acne would go from being moderate to mild-mildly moderate.

If you're wondering if I have any body acne, I don't any longer. I used to have it on my back, chest, shoulders, arms, and neck. My back is now clear, along with my chest, shoulders, and neck. I'll occasionally get small pimples on the back of my neck. My body acne was already going away pre Accutane, so I don't think that Accutane helped that in any way.

Anyways, my point is that Accutane just isn't working for me. If anyone has any encouraging stories or would just like to share their experiences, please do so. I'm just sick of being miserable and not being able to live my life because of acne. It's like acne has taken me and my life hostage for the past 3 years and I want to be FREE from it's control.

Thanks for reading.

#2 TheKnowing

TheKnowing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

I've heard about people clearing up much later than two months in, some keep breaking out until the month before their course is supposed to finish.
Just keep going in most cases you will get better!!
Look around the board I've seen plenty of people in your position some even further along, that should help raise your spirits.

Best of luck

#3 thrillpink

thrillpink

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

Two months is not that far in and you're saying the breakouts on your forehead and chin have already stopped, so it ís working. Give it time to work completely.
And accutane is not supposed to help with PIH, but if your breakouts stop that can start to heal as well.

#4 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

wtf, you stoppped breaking out and you say its not working. stfu. seriously. its not gonna help with PIH. the only thing that helps it is time. and if you stopped breaking out thats what its supposed to do.

#5 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

I have been on Accutane for 63 days now and it hasn't done anything whatsoever.

Another thing it's done is stopped the breakouts on my forehead and my chin (and nose).

If you're wondering if I have any body acne, I don't any longer. I used to have it on my back, chest, shoulders, arms, and neck. My back is now clear, along with my chest, shoulders, and neck.

Hmmm ... the above statements seem to contradict one another.

#6 DukeBlueDevils

DukeBlueDevils

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

wtf, you stoppped breaking out and you say its not working. stfu. seriously. its not gonna help with PIH. the only thing that helps it is time. and if you stopped breaking out thats what its supposed to do.

There is no need to tell me STFU. Grow up.

#7 DukeBlueDevils

DukeBlueDevils

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

I have been on Accutane for 63 days now and it hasn't done anything whatsoever.

Another thing it's done is stopped the breakouts on my forehead and my chin (and nose).

If you're wondering if I have any body acne, I don't any longer. I used to have it on my back, chest, shoulders, arms, and neck. My back is now clear, along with my chest, shoulders, and neck.

Hmmm ... the above statements seem to contradict one another.

Yeah, Accutane is working into terms of stopping my breakouts, but it's not getting rid of my pigmentation on my cheeks. So according to two people above, Accutane doesn't help with PIH, so evidently, I'm stuck with the PIH on my cheeks forever. People say that PIH isn't "real" scaring, but in my case, it looks like it's going to be since it never seems to go away.

#8 seroyal223

seroyal223

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Yeah, Accutane is working into terms of stopping my breakouts, but it's not getting rid of my pigmentation on my cheeks. So according to two people above, Accutane doesn't help with PIH, so evidently, I'm stuck with the PIH on my cheeks forever. People say that PIH isn't "real" scaring, but in my case, it looks like it's going to be since it never seems to go away.

Funny I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. I started Accutane 7 weeks ago because I thought it would get rid of the marks on my cheeks, but I only just learned yesterday that these marks are PIH and not active acne (which would explain why they've hardly improved over the last 6 months). I have no active acne left on my cheeks my forehead is the only spot left with real zits (which are pretty minor and don't require Accutane to clear away).

Like you, I'm feeling lost as to what to do now since I only made this discovery yesterday. My skin looks a little less red than when I started it 7 weeks ago, but that's probably just natural and not the Accutane. I told my dermatologist today that I want to stop it after she confirmed for me that it doesn't get rid of PIH. Unfortunately she only seemed interested in whether I was continuing the Accutane or not, and didn't offer my any advice for clearing the PIH marks. Luckily she did refer me to her colleague so I'm seeing him in two weeks.

I just want to reassure you that PIH is not forever. You say you've had these marks for two years whereas I've only had them for 7-8 months, but I can still relate to what you're feeling. It doesn't last forever as it doesn't truly dent the skin, and there are ways of helping the healing process. Unfortunately I'm finding too many mixed answers on the internet, so I'm going to have to do more research and talk to some experts to figure out the best course of action at this point. I do know that chemical peels can help, but unfortunately I don't think you're allowed to have a procedure like that done even if the Accutane was only for 7 weeks (I just made a thread asking that, hoping to get a response soon).

Anyway, sorry if I can't offer any real advice right now because I've only just started looking into this today, but definitely keep in mind that it's not permanent.

Edited by seroyal223, 16 February 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#9 DukeBlueDevils

DukeBlueDevils

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Funny I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. I started Accutane 7 weeks ago because I thought it would get rid of the marks on my cheeks, but I only just learned yesterday that these marks are PIH and not active acne (which would explain why they've hardly improved over the last 6 months). I have no active acne left on my cheeks my forehead is the only spot left with real zits (which are pretty minor and don't require Accutane to clear away).

Like you, I'm feeling lost as to what to do now since I only made this discovery yesterday. My skin looks a little less red than when I started it 7 weeks ago, but that's probably just natural and not the Accutane. I told my dermatologist today that I want to stop it after she confirmed for me that it doesn't get rid of PIH. Unfortunately she only seemed interested in whether I was continuing the Accutane or not, and didn't offer my any advice for clearing the PIH marks. Luckily she did refer me to her colleague so I'm seeing him in two weeks.

I just want to reassure you that PIH is not forever. You say you've had these marks for two years whereas I've only had them for 7-8 months, but I can still relate to what you're feeling. It doesn't last forever as it doesn't truly dent the skin, and there are ways of helping the healing process. Unfortunately I'm finding too many mixed answers on the internet, so I'm going to have to do more research and talk to some experts to figure out the best course of action at this point. I do know that chemical peels can help, but unfortunately I don't think you're allowed to have a procedure like that done even if the Accutane was only for 7 weeks (I just made a thread asking that, hoping to get a response soon).

Anyway, sorry if I can't offer any real advice right now because I've only just started looking into this today, but definitely keep in mind that it's not permanent.

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it.

I know that PIH is not permanent, but it is still aggravating how the PIH on my cheeks just remain there and never get better, nor worse. It's annoying. After two years, you would think they'd of improved at least a little, but mine hasn't at all. I don't get it. Maybe since Accutane prevents the forming of pimples and drys your skin out, it will stop the "breakouts" on my cheeks (every now and then, I'll get small pimples on my cheeks where the PIH is). Maybe then the PIH will start to fade away, when the breakouts have stopped? I really don't know. I'm hoping so.

I think that it will eventually just fade away, but it's probably going to be a while, unfortunately. Like I said, the worst spot(s) on my face are my cheeks. I'm not self conscious about my forehead, chin, or nose. It's just my cheeks I'm self conscious about.

If you ever do find about anything about how to speed the process up of getting rid of PIH quicker, please don't hesitate to send me a message.

#10 Gutterflower

Gutterflower

Self-Proclaimed Art Nerd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

I understand your frustration. It can take a while to kick in depending on how stubborn your acne is. Just take your pills and don't get worked up over it. Allow them to do what they're supposed to do, and try not to think about it. The PIH will clear up on its own, you just need to give it time. Your skin is dry and thin at the moment so it's going to heal a little more slowly than usual, but the PIH shouldn't be your concern at the moment. I'm in month four (or five? I've lost count) at the moment and my PIH is just starting to go away. :)

It's not an instant miracle. Not for anybody. It takes time for it to do its thing, and you just need to allow it to do so. You did mention that you get upset easily, I'd assume that's where this post stems from.

#11 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

hey sorry kody i told you to stfu. its just that you could be so negative. PIH are not permanent. they go away with time, even if it takes several months. be happy that your not breaking out so that no new PIH forms.

#12 LaChesis

LaChesis

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

No offense, but you sound like such a drama queen. Some people don't start clearing up until the fourth month. You come in here saying accutane is not working at all, then you admit it's working in terms of stopping your breakouts which is exactly what's it's supposed to do (and that's only 2 months in). So you start complaining about the fact that it doesn't do anything for PIH. Sounds like you just want to complain about something. Maybe you should take a step back and realise the fact that you're lucky to even be on accutane. Some people want to take it so bad but their derms won't prescribe it. I can assure you that you'll get clear in the end, but stop being so ungrateful jesus..

Edit: I would also like to mention that if you did some research prior to taking accutane like pretty much everybody does, you should have never expected accutane to do something for PIH. Nobody ever said it helped with redmarks.

I do wish you good luck with your treatment though, because I know how much acne sucks. Just be patient and positive that's all you can do and let accutane work it's magic. No more acne = no more red marks = PIH fading with time.

Edited by LaChesis, 17 February 2012 - 11:12 AM.

#13 DukeBlueDevils

DukeBlueDevils

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

hey sorry kody i told you to stfu. its just that you could be so negative. PIH are not permanent. they go away with time, even if it takes several months. be happy that your not breaking out so that no new PIH forms.

It's okay. You're forgiven. :)

#14 leesett

leesett

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

I took my last accutane pill about 2+ years ago. My face cleared up around month 5 and continued to improve even after my treatment. It took a full year after my treatment for the pigmentation to totally clear, I even have deep scaring on my cheeks that have recently turned to nice fleshy (kinda pink) color. I am female and go completely makeup free, COMPLETELY! I know how you feel, it's frustrating, but the pigmentation WILL soften, it just takes time, I promise. The important thing is that you're treating your acne. Accutane saved my face and I am grateful.

P.S. Stay out of the sun!!!! Use lots of SPF. I wore hats all the time and avoided sun exposure as much as possible. Good luck!

#15 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

I think you commented on one of my Accutane posts, so for starters thanks for the comments! Anyways, lol, I really don't think you should give up. It seems to me that this is how the drug works, so try and stay optimistic, even if it is really hard (I know). I'm sure no Accutane expert, I've never taken it (even though I want to), but I think you just need to give it some time. I think everyone sees their skin as way worse than everyone else does. Good luck!

#16 ilovemusicandgames

ilovemusicandgames

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

I posted on another forum site that I too was giving up, and at that point it was around 2 months since starting taking it. I received nothing but deterrance - I have now resolved that I will keep at it until it works.

*also, my acne had been upsetting me for so much of my life that it made little sense to stop, since accutane is one of the most effective treatments for it

Edited by ilovemusicandgames, 18 February 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#17 lovely777

lovely777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

i dont know to much about PIH but i think that you can get some kind of TCA peel from your derm post accutane and even out your skin tone, one of the risks are hyperpigmintation but that is only rare. i have had TCA peels before and nothing bad happened to me at all, no hyperpigmentation, just made my face smoother and more even in tone. i too am taking accutane and am in week six i think, my face is still breaking out! my skin is dry but still having breakout, i hope we all reach the goal that we strive for, CLEAR SKIN!!!
good luck to you

#18 InAStateOfHopefulness

InAStateOfHopefulness

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

I stopped getting cystic acne until at around 1-2 months, but I had very persistant break outs up until very recently (of whiteheads and such). Now starting my fifth month I get like NO pimples, but my face is still covered in aftermath. Although that's kind of subsiding and I still have 2 months.

Most of my friends who have been on accutane told me that it won't be until around month 4-5 that you start seeing your greatest improvement. They were right. End of month 3 to now (starting 5th month) my face is basically smooth.

#19 Highlight

Highlight

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

Relax, things will change. Aren't you at least a bit satisfied that most of your acne is gone? I understand you want everything clear, but you're still only at month 2. Give it patience.