Photo

Not Enough Research On Acne?

research

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

After all these years of supposed research I just don't understand why there aren't more safe products available to truly help with acne. I admit I am a little suspicious that acne research is limited because many companies are making so much money on products that people buy but don't really work. I hope I'm wrong.

I am wondering if there is a way to find out just what research is being done and which research labs are doing them. Also wondering how can we put the pressure on for more research for real results.

It tears me apart that there is so much suffering physically and emotionally from acne and it angers me that safe solutions for all types of acne are not available yet.

#2 WilliamRickard

WilliamRickard

William Rickard

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Ditto.

#3 cln

cln

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

I have these same thoughts all the time: It's all about the $$$$$$. Most Derms spend all day with acne patients ($$$$) and every shelf in every store is filled with acne products ($$$$$). Why find a cure?

#4 asufra

asufra

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Definitely agree with you there, I have had acne for around 20 years and the treatments and products have not really changed from my early years of acne. It is a bit suspicious that acne just stands still. I pray for someone to come up with something and pull the plug on the useless treatments out there.

#5 TheMedic

TheMedic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

The money of ALL the lower and middleclass people who come through here could not afford all the studies needed. Looking for cures or even safe treatments usually leads to bankrupcy for any large company who tries it.

#6 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Yea I am so mad too. Medical science is fucked up, it's nothing without an actual research.

Acne is so common for everyone but they still don't know the actual cause of it.

#7 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I applaud Dan for putting together this site and his regimen along with his carefully thought out products. I just wish it worked for everyone. It kills me to know that people are truly suffering out here with acne and that the emotional impact is real and can last a lifetime. I was on campus at my son's high school and saw a lot of acne on the teens there and it pissed me off that it was the same situation 40 years ago when I was in high school. WTF??? I wish there was a way to to some pressure on the research community, but I don't know where to begin or if it would even help.

#8 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

i agree. like i like at the studies on the overall improvement for products out there are required in order to be put on the market, and its like 30% improvement after 3 months. how can they sell shit like that!!!

#9 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

It stinks. But at least we have the internet and this forum. I'm so thankfrul of the people who come on here and share what they've learned through trial and error.

#10 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

I am wondering if there is a way to find out just what research is being done and which research labs are doing them.

Some links:

http://clinicaltrial...=&lup_s=&lup_e=
http://acnefoundatio...icalTrials.aspx
http://www.centerwat...ondition/1/acne
http://www.clinicalc...ition/acne.aspx

UK: http://www.nhs.uk/Co...ical-trial.aspx

#11 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Thank you for those links!

#12 Lee1234

Lee1234

Wanderer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

These exact same thoughts used to frustrate me. After I realised that Money>curing acne, I tossed away every single topical I had away in anger. Who would've thought my body would've cleared itself? Posted Image

#13 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

Well, the main problem with acne is the overactive sebaceous glands. Isn't it better to prevent acne than to cure it? If so, then just prevent acne from coming back. Getting clear will take a month or so, the existing acne will not last forever. Your body cures itself of the acne temporarily, but they just keep coming back. Wonder why?

Perhaps the sebaceous glands need to be removed or down regulated. That would be best cure for acne sufferers. Controlling the bacteria is easy, just kill them with benzoyl peroxide

#14 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

It isn't also the sebaceous glands too I noticed. there are some people with oily skin but with no acne. While theres a lot of people with dry skin but with acne. So it may not be oil at all. It could be just like an allergic reaction caused by the hormones, and aggravated by the food you eat and the toxins in your body.

#15 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

It isn't also the sebaceous glands too I noticed. there are some people with oily skin but with no acne. While theres a lot of people with dry skin but with acne. So it may not be oil at all. It could be just like an allergic reaction caused by the hormones, and aggravated by the food you eat and the toxins in your body.

Oily skin happens when the sebum is produced in large amounts, but steadily over time. With acne sufferers, the sebum is produced in large amounts at a single given time. There is also the pore which contributes greatly to acne formation.

I myself don't get inflamed acne anymore. My pores don't get clogged. And I have oily skin. I do get sebum plugs though. The lining of the pore is important since my sebum get's trapped in the pore - enough to form a pimple, but it doesn't and I can just give it light squeeze to clear my pore. A small package of sebum comes out, and my pore is left intact.

Keratinization. Hmmm.

Preventing acne is the best way to deal with acne. Treating is very easy - just takes some time. Most people fail to get rid of their acne because they don't prevent their acne, they try to treat the existing acne, and it works, but they just keep getting new ones. Fail. Better way, forget treating, and just prevent it.

Methods in my sig.