Photo

Just Trying To Find My Way.....a Holistic Approach To Acne

vitamin d chromium chromium picolinate fish oil garlic gluten

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#41 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for the response! I thought i was the only one on here....lol.

I am hoping for the best too as it has been a rough year with acne. I am off my topicals and my skin doesn't feel like crap so i am happy about that. I have added ACV as a toner to replace my Acanya but eventually i want to do away with my chemical laden face wash AND moisturizer. My aloe plant came yesterday but i am not going to start using it till after derm visit as i just added in ACV and i want to see how my skin behaves first. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will be writing them down to possibly try in the future. I am starting to believe like you that natural is the road less traveled but the one that has more long term results.

I will absolutely keep updating as hopefully the advice given to me can help someone else, minus the cost Posted Image .

How is your acne and how are you treating it both internally and externally?

ACV is amazing! I used it a few months ago twice a day and it got rid of all my acne... but then it started coming back a few weeks later when i slacked, and i haven't picked it up since Posted Image Maybe I should try it again, haha. How is it working for you? I hear it helps get rid of red marks?

Ah, my skin is doing amazing!! i updated my log and talked about some added supplements but I'll just copy the basics down here...
Probiotic -- on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and last thing at night
Digestive formula (with enzymes and probiotics) -- after each meal
Liver support pill -- after breakfast and dinner
Multivitamin -- 2 after breakfast and 2 after dinner
Fish oil -- after each meal
Iron -- after breakfast
An adrenal and hormone support pill (it also has b-vitamins, plus zinc) -- after breakfast and mid afternoon
Zinc (22 mg, but the adrenal/hormone support pill has 6 mg so it makes 28 mg total) -- last thing at night
Alkalinizing minerals -- 1 tsp last thing at night with water
Not really sure which supplement is causing such a great change, but now my skin is about 98% clear.... people are commenting on how great it looks, which has NEVER happened before in my life Posted Image I'm shocked thb, because I never knew the natural route really would work for me. But yeah. I'm really happy(:

How is your acne doing -- any good changes? I really hope the natural route works for all of us!!
I saw on your signature that you're doing the paleo diet... is that working for you? I'm doing some research on it and it looks really good -- is it the diet your naturopath suggested? My naturopath keeps going on and on about the benefits of the blood type diet, so that's the one I'm doing, hahah. Victoria's secret model Miranda kerr, who has the most beautiful skin ever, says she follows that diet, so that was a HUGE incentive for me to follow through with it, loll(; I hope everything is going well!!

My acne is ok - still breaking out so only time will tell. The good news is that my dryness from Acanya is going away and my skin without acne is smoother. So far, i like ACV - it's simple to use and doesn't irritate my skin. Your diet sounds stellar so let me know how it working out for you. Just out of curiosity, how 'bad' was your acne/what type of acne do you have. My acne is mild/moderate (at times) and EXTREMELY persistent. My worst areas are the chin and mouth. Any before and after pictures?

#42 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

ACV Start of Week 2:

POSITIVES:
  • complexion is soooo much better since getting off Acanya
  • clogged pores on cheeks seemed to have improved
  • skin is softer
  • smaller bumps are not coming up as often
NEGATIVES:
  • still breaking out, especially on chin/mouth area
  • bumps that i do get are usually larger and under the skin with no head
OVERALL FEELING:

I like ACV and still do not regret the decision to drop my topicals. I'm not sure if my acne is going away any faster but my overall skin looks and feels better. As of today, i have 3 large undergrounders on my chin and a few smaller bumps on my chin/mouth area. And while i am not happy about it, i never expected ACV to stop my breakouts (as acne is mostly internal vs external).

I see the holistic derm on Thursday so i will update then about my visit. I am also hoping to add Aloe Vera into my regimen towards the end of next week if the derm doesn't have something else in mind.

Regarding drinking ACV, i haven't had a problem with the taste or smell. I drink it mixed in with water and sometimes it does burn going down but not unbearable.

I am also continuing with my diet and exercise.

Hopefully something will give

BTW, washed my face tonight with 1:1 apple cider vinegar/spring water mix. Seeing is this can be a replacement for my facial cleanser. Will see how it works out in the coming days. Tried to get away with no moisturizer but face felt tight so put some neutrogena on.

Tomorrows my birthday so gonna enjoy my last night as a 28 year old inspite of acne. I have so many FABULOUS things going for me and i get to spend my special day with 2very good friends of mine! What else can a girl want Posted Image

Edited by sasch12, 21 July 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#43 clambak3

clambak3

OG

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

ACV Start of Week 2:

POSITIVES:

• skin is softer
NEGATIVES:
OVERALL FEELING:

I like ACV and still do not regret the decision to drop my topicals. I'm not sure if my acne is going away any faster but my overall skin looks and feels better. As of today, i have 3 large undergrounders on my chin and a few smaller bumps on my chin/mouth area. And while i am not happy about it, i never expected ACV to stop my breakouts (as acne is mostly internal vs external).

I see the holistic derm on Thursday so i will update then about my visit. I am also hoping to add Aloe Vera into my regimen towards the end of next week if the derm doesn't have something else in mind.

Regarding drinking ACV, i haven't had a problem with the taste or smell. I drink it mixed in with water and sometimes it does burn going down but not unbearable.

BTW, washed my face tonight with 1:1 apple cider vinegar/spring water mix. Seeing is this can be a replacement for my facial cleanser. Will see how it works out in the coming days. Tried to get away with no moisturizer but face felt tight so put some neutrogena on.

Tomorrows my birthday so gonna enjoy my last night as a 28 year old inspite of acne. I have so many FABULOUS things going for me and i get to spend my special day with 2very good friends of mine! What else can a girl want Posted Image

Awwh well happy birthdayyy :)

I just LOVE LOVE LOVE apple cider vinegar. But switching to Bragg's Organic ACV made a dramatic difference than the Heinz stuff I probably never should have been using haha.

Also, ACV and spring water as a facial wash? I don't know if that's very helpful. I would say use baking soda and tone with ACV afterwards or just use a sensitive wash like Clean & Clear Sensitive Foaming Facial Cleanser. I have used SOOOO many face washes and I promise you will love this stuff. I originally tried it because it was on Dan's list of acceptable face washes.

And man do I love me some aloe too. I do like to use a moisturizer in conjunction with it because it doesn't do too great of a job in that area and leaves your skin feeling a little tight and with some good moisturizer it reduces that weird feeling. And makes makeup application a lot easier.

#44 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

ACV Start of Week 2:

POSITIVES:

• skin is softer
NEGATIVES:
OVERALL FEELING:

Awwh well happy birthdayyy Posted Image

I just LOVE LOVE LOVE apple cider vinegar. But switching to Bragg's Organic ACV made a dramatic difference than the Heinz stuff I probably never should have been using haha.

Also, ACV and spring water as a facial wash? I don't know if that's very helpful. I would say use baking soda and tone with ACV afterwards or just use a sensitive wash like Clean & Clear Sensitive Foaming Facial Cleanser. I have used SOOOO many face washes and I promise you will love this stuff. I originally tried it because it was on Dan's list of acceptable face washes.

And man do I love me some aloe too. I do like to use a moisturizer in conjunction with it because it doesn't do too great of a job in that area and leaves your skin feeling a little tight and with some good moisturizer it reduces that weird feeling. And makes makeup application a lot easier.

Thanks Clam. It was an awesome day!

Baking Soda i heard does not have the right PH for skin. I needed something to replace my soap that was PH balanced and ACV seems to be ok. As long as it kills germs and gets rid of sweat, i should be good.

I am liking the toner and the smell doesn't bother me as much anymore. Complexion is so much better but can't tell a consistent difference with my acne.

I see my holistic derm Thursday so hoping he can provide with a regimen/supplement regimen :-)

How is natural working for you so far?
How's your acne?

You should definitely start a log - i would love to read what you are doing.

#45 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

UPDATE:

Regime change AGAIN.

Just came back from the holistic derm and everything that is discussed on the holistic boards was discussed with me. I have to admit though that i was thoroughly disappointed with his skin care suggestions. Guess i was expecting it to be more .....natural

He did give me a cleanser and a moisturizer that is organic and the ingredients don't look bad at all.

As for supplements, i am taking several as he says i have issues with

Yeast (kinda surprised)
Liver issues
Digestion issues
Adrenal issues

They also gave me stuff to address my depression, an anti inflammatory supplement and something for blood sugar issues. i will post the new regimen in my signature soon.

As for diet, he told me to stop eating apples and berries (except for strawberries) as well as sweet potato though he said white potatoes in moderation would be better. He also said i can add back in brown rice and quinoa. I actually don't mind the paleo way of eating but it would be nice to occasionally switch it up with the grains i mentioned.

He warned me that there could be a detox reaction, especially when i add in the supplement that addresses the yeast. Hoping it doesn't happen.

I will see him in 5 weeks so we'll see how things work out :-)

#46 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Day # 1 of new regimen

Face has many bumps around my mouth/chin area, some inflamed, some not. I have a huge inflamed one that is really irking me right now. I tried the oil control moisturizer after toning and i can tell that we won't be getting along. My face feels tight and dry (something not good for acne). I feel so frustrated! Another product that may end up in the garbage bin. I guess i'll see how face holds up over the weekend. If the dryness feeling persists, i will definitely stop using it. I have some tea tree oil but i don't want to add anything new to my regimen as of yet.

Ahhhhhhhh.....just want to scream right now!

#47 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Day # 5

I have the ITCHIES! My skin and face itches like mad. It started Sunday after i took one of the supplements that the derm gave me (Farklempt Boich) for digestive support. It's such as uncomfortable feeling. Also, i am breaking out in inflamed acne on my cheeks, an area i was doing so well in Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image.
I'm trying not to hot the panic button and email the derm, at least not yet. Also. my bowel movements have not been great since Sunday. I hate starting with a new regimen - it sucks. I'm gonna stick with it though cause i paid a crap load of money to see this guy/buy supplements so.......

Why does this have to be so hard? Topically ACV has not been the miracle i've been looking for. I like it a lot and it is much better than Acanya (that's for sure) but it hasn't really minimized my acne at all. Still searching for a moisturizer as Neutrogena makes me feel and look greasy. Looking forward to trying aloe vera in the next few days.

Thanks for reading

#48 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

Get off the meds ASAP.

#49 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

Get off the meds ASAP.

I stopped that particular supplement and itchiness went away. I could become a pharmacist with all my unused drugs.

#50 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

Week 1 Down! 1 Week since i started a new supplemental regimen. I haven't integrated all the supplements yet as per the derms request, i am to introduce each new supplement every 2 days. Took some pictures of my acne today. It's been months since i did that and at some point i'll post it to track my progress or lack there of. Status of my skin is as such:
  • several inflamed bumps on chin
  • several under the skin bumps (visibly raised)
  • small red bumps appearing on jawline/cheek area
  • several small bumps on lip area
  • many clogged pores on cheeks
Acne has progressively gotten worse since stopping Acanya. The strange thing is that while i am annoyed, i don't feel sad or depressed or anxious about it. I look at it with the attitude 'it is what it is'. Maybe because i have embraced the idea that it will get worse before it gets better theory. Trying to not have expectations because i have been let down plenty in the past. Still fine tuning the topical aspect of things. Was going to try aloe vera but upon spot testing, got a reaction so.........

Edited by sasch12, 03 August 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#51 clambak3

clambak3

OG

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

You got a reaction from aloe vera? What did it look like?

I'm sorry to hear that you're trying so hard but I hope you never give up on finding the right regimen for you.

I don't know if you've ever tried a colon or liver cleanse before but I've heard great things about that and your digestive and skin health.

I always feel like no one would read a log I'd have but maybe I should start one up :P

My skin looks much better than months ago but I must say after changing my regimen so many times it seems to tick my skin off and I get acne in places I never have before or different types of acne. Very obnoxious.

Are you still using ACV as a face wash or the Elina Organics one listed on your signature?

Also, I've just picked up some Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer for sensitive skin and I'm not sure what to think of it. I think it's not very moisturizing but I think it's because it's for people with oily skin like me. I like Olay's complete moisturizer for sensitive skin. I use it for my tattoo that I just got also. It's super moisturizing but not greasy.

#52 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you're trying so hard but I hope you never give up on finding the right regimen for you.

I don't know if you've ever tried a colon or liver cleanse before but I've heard great things about that and your digestive and skin health.

I always feel like no one would read a log I'd have but maybe I should start one up Posted Image

My skin looks much better than months ago but I must say after changing my regimen so many times it seems to tick my skin off and I get acne in places I never have before or different types of acne. Very obnoxious.

Are you still using ACV as a face wash or the Elina Organics one listed on your signature?

Also, I've just picked up some Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer for sensitive skin and I'm not sure what to think of it. I think it's not very moisturizing but I think it's because it's for people with oily skin like me. I like Olay's complete moisturizer for sensitive skin. I use it for my tattoo that I just got also. It's super moisturizing but not greasy.

Thanks for reading! I think you should definitively start a log...i would definitely read it. I am using the Elina Organics as my face wash and i like it. ACV as a toner has been ok.....not sure if i will keep it though as i am breaking out in small red bumps on the side of my face - note sure if this is purging from ACV or it is my skins reaction from being off the Acanya. In any event, my acne is getting worse day by day. I hate the Neutrogena as it makes my skin sooooo much more oilier but not using moisturizer makes my skin itch so i'm damn if i do, damn if i don't. When i tried the aloe vera, it made all the areas itch and reddish so i won't be trying it out on my face.

Thanks for the support and kind words. I am mega frustrated but i know it will take time.....trial and error right? I am so happy that you are doing much better with your regimen. Any advice on what i can do to treat my active acne while i wait for my body to balance itself out?

#53 clambak3

clambak3

OG

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

I always feel like no one would read a log I'd have but maybe I should start one up Posted Image

Thanks for reading! I think you should definitively start a log...i would definitely read it. I am using the Elina Organics as my face wash and i like it. ACV as a toner has been ok.....not sure if i will keep it though as i am breaking out in small red bumps on the side of my face - note sure if this is purging from ACV or it is my skins reaction from being off the Acanya. In any event, my acne is getting worse day by day. I hate the Neutrogena as it makes my skin sooooo much more oilier but not using moisturizer makes my skin itch so i'm damn if i do, damn if i don't. When i tried the aloe vera, it made all the areas itch and reddish so i won't be trying it out on my face.

Thanks for the support and kind words. I am mega frustrated but i know it will take time.....trial and error right? I am so happy that you are doing much better with your regimen. Any advice on what i can do to treat my active acne while i wait for my body to balance itself out?

You're just so sweet and I just made a blog :P Hopefully I can help others and they can help me.

I've never heard of someone getting a reaction from aloe vera.. hmph. Well it's not that moisturizing anway and it makes your face feel tight if you know what I mean.

Have you tried honey, lemon, or egg masks? I also am madly in love with this super cheap clay face mask.. which is a little bit scary to us the first time. It's pretty darn hard to get off, but with the help of Olay ProX little face scrubber it makes it easier to get off and trust me the redness dies down after about 15 minutes. It also makes your face feel like it's pulsating but it is the deepest clean I have ever felt.

Here's the link, I bought mine on Amazon and hey it's worth a shot, right?
http://www.amazon.co...words=clay mask
I use mine with ACV because it's supposed to work better. I also leave mine on for a half hour. It's kind of fun to watch it fizz and stir it up haha but I'm kind of a nut. :P

Also steaming your face with a towel over your head and over a semi-boiling pot of water for 10 minutes before applying any mask makes it work even better and purge your pores of any crud. I know acne isn't just dirt but keeping it clean makes it heal SOOO much faster.

#54 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

You're just so sweet and I just made a blog Posted Image Hopefully I can help others and they can help me.

I've never heard of someone getting a reaction from aloe vera.. hmph. Well it's not that moisturizing anway and it makes your face feel tight if you know what I mean.

Have you tried honey, lemon, or egg masks? I also am madly in love with this super cheap clay face mask.. which is a little bit scary to us the first time. It's pretty darn hard to get off, but with the help of Olay ProX little face scrubber it makes it easier to get off and trust me the redness dies down after about 15 minutes. It also makes your face feel like it's pulsating but it is the deepest clean I have ever felt.

Here's the link, I bought mine on Amazon and hey it's worth a shot, right?
http://www.amazon.co...words=clay mask
I use mine with ACV because it's supposed to work better. I also leave mine on for a half hour. It's kind of fun to watch it fizz and stir it up haha but I'm kind of a nut. Posted Image

Also steaming your face with a towel over your head and over a semi-boiling pot of water for 10 minutes before applying any mask makes it work even better and purge your pores of any crud. I know acne isn't just dirt but keeping it clean makes it heal SOOO much faster.

I know, it was weird to get a reaction but i did and i'm too chicken to try on my face. I am also afraid of trying the mask for fear of making things worse......geez, i'm yellow belliedPosted Image .

When you first used it, did your acne get worse? What is your acne like? I'm just afraid to purge and to keep purging and never stop so.......Can you send me the link to your blog? It seems many people start natural blogs but never keep up with them - it then defeats the whole purpose of helping each other out.

#55 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

sorry if you had already mentioned this, i did not get a chance to read through all your posts, but have you already tried the caveman regimen? if so, for how long? what happened?

#56 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

sorry if you had already mentioned this, i did not get a chance to read through all your posts, but have you already tried the caveman regimen? if so, for how long? what happened?

Many years ago i did it with water only - didn't work out so well. I definitely think my acne has more to do with internal issues versus what i put on my skin as i have been on topicals, off topicals and i still have acne. Diet for me has not appeared to help but i plan to eat healthy anyhow. I am now following a program with a holistic doctor to deal with possible underlying issues such as liver, yeast, digestion etc.

#57 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

Many years ago i did it with water only - didn't work out so well. I definitely think my acne has more to do with internal issues versus what i put on my skin as i have been on topicals, off topicals and i still have acne. Diet for me has not appeared to help but i plan to eat healthy anyhow. I am now following a program with a holistic doctor to deal with possible underlying issues such as liver, yeast, digestion etc.

the first couple of weeks are a bummer, as all those old deep pores release those nasty trapped particles, some people it requires more time, and some people have better success without water even. but its not for everyone...how long did you try it for? i know a lot of people want to try it but they just dont have the time or patience to. the first couple of weeks suck, but its a pay off in the end. good luck with the approach

#58 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

My face hurts me something fierce. All these inflamed bumps hurt when i make any facial expression - could really cry right now. My chin looks and feels terrible and the sad part is i know this is NOT the worst of it. These under the skin bumps bite the big one. I just want then to come to a head so that the can heal. I tried an Epson Salt mask last night as several people says it helps clear out the toxicity out of skin and lets bumps heal. I plan to do this for a week in hopes of speeding up the process. I won't be adding in anything else to my facial regimen for now.

In the meantime, i am breaking out all over - forehead included. How do people stay positive when things continue to get worse and worse.....could use some emotional encouragement here.

#59 clambak3

clambak3

OG

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

How does the epsom salt mask work exactly and how often can you use it? Irritating your skin and cleansing it too much can make you break out like crazy.

My skin has been pretty unpredictable since age 10 or 11. My parents had acne and I was a ticking time bomb. I mostly have white heads around my chin and nose occasionally, blackheads covering most of my nose and a couple on my cheeks from time to time. And worst of all I have those giant bumps, the nasty ones you can't get rid of that hurt real bad like you were talking about. I only get a couple of these but man they suck!

I seriously haven't been eating well, been drinking and smoking, and my skin looks fantastic today. I really contribute it to washing my face just at night and splashing cold water on it in the morning. Hey, my face is already clean, right? I don't know honestly my skin makes absolutely no sense to me.

I know you'll make it through this with a clear face soon! Keep your positive attitude and I didn't have any sort of purging with the mask. It honestly is just perfect.

#60 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

How does the epsom salt mask work exactly and how often can you use it? Irritating your skin and cleansing it too much can make you break out like crazy.

My skin has been pretty unpredictable since age 10 or 11. My parents had acne and I was a ticking time bomb. I mostly have white heads around my chin and nose occasionally, blackheads covering most of my nose and a couple on my cheeks from time to time. And worst of all I have those giant bumps, the nasty ones you can't get rid of that hurt real bad like you were talking about. I only get a couple of these but man they suck!

I seriously haven't been eating well, been drinking and smoking, and my skin looks fantastic today. I really contribute it to washing my face just at night and splashing cold water on it in the morning. Hey, my face is already clean, right? I don't know honestly my skin makes absolutely no sense to me.

I know you'll make it through this with a clear face soon! Keep your positive attitude and I didn't have any sort of purging with the mask. It honestly is just perfect.

I just dissolve epsom salt in hot water and when it cools, i pat on my face and leave it for 15 minutes before washing it off. It supposedly draws out the impurity so acne can heal faster. I do it everyday (no scrubbing involved). It's not irritating at all - i guess i'll give it about a week and see how it works out. What are some signs of irritation i should be looking out for?

So glad to hear you are doing so well!!!!! Please keep your log updated as i am definitely following along. Your acne sounds a bit like mine except mine is a little worse off i believe. I may give the mask a try if the Epsom Salt doesn't work out.