Photo

Going To Try Sunflower Oil To Condition My Hair. Bad Idea For Someone With Oily Skin?

scalp hair sunflower oil oily skin shampoo

3 replies to this topic

#1 Duckling

Duckling

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

A friend of mine has really pretty, healthy-looking hair, and my dried out mop needs some love and attention (not to mention my scalp), so I asked her about her hair regimen. Like me, she just uses a simple, non-harsh shampoo (Head & Shoulders Classic Clean for me, Tesco Value store brand for her).

The bit where it gets interesting is her "pre-conditioner": she massages sunflower oil into her scalp and hair and then rinses it off before shampooing (3 times a week). So I thought, "hey, why not?" It certainly seems to work for her, and I've got some in the pantry, so I'll give it a try!

...But then I remembered that my face has oily skin issues and I should perhaps proceed with caution. I tried searching this board for the word "sunflower", but got nothing. ...Perhaps I should stop being such a wuss and just try it already? I just figured I'd ask if anybody else had any experience with it.

Edited by Duckling, 10 February 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#2 awakeodin

awakeodin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

A friend of mine has really pretty, healthy-looking hair, and my dried out mop needs some love and attention (not to mention my scalp), so I asked her about her hair regimen. Like me, she just uses a simple, non-harsh shampoo (Head & Shoulders Classic Clean for me, Tesco Value store brand for her).

The bit where it gets interesting is her "pre-conditioner": she massages sunflower oil into her scalp and hair and then rinses it off before shampooing (3 times a week). So I thought, "hey, why not?" It certainly seems to work for her, and I've got some in the pantry, so I'll give it a try!

...But then I remembered that my face has oily skin issues and I should perhaps proceed with caution. I tried searching this board for the word "sunflower", but got nothing. ...Perhaps I should stop being such a wuss and just try it already? I just figured I'd ask if anybody else had any experience with it.

Oil in your hair might be a good idea, though I'd only use a few drops. However, there may be more beneficial kinds of oils out there (such as emu oil), you might want to search online and decide what you might like to try.

I'd say the worst that could happen is a breakout, then you would simply stop using the oil - but you won't know unless you try.

Also, pure African "Black Soap" is supposedly extremely beneficial to your hair, and you may consider that as well. While many have had the greatest hair they've ever experienced (and facial skin as well) by not washing at all; sounds dirty, and is a big step to take, but in time your scalp and skin will thank you.

If you want to consider perhaps ending your oily facial concerns, you can send me a message and I'll try to help : )

#3 jennifer36

jennifer36

every moment is a gift of life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me
  • Interests:art, tea, music, skincare

Achievements

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

I used extra virgin olive oil on my hair this week, and it didn't give me any issues related to acne. Washing it out on the other hand... I used it wednesday, washed my hair with baking soda everyday since then, and today the oil is all finally gone. My hair is super soft and shiny though at least.

#4 Duckling

Duckling

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for the responses, peeps!

I think I will stop being a wuss and just give it a go. I can always stop if it doesn't work out, after all.

I've actually heard, both from my sunflower-using friend and from checking online, that the real premier oil for your hair is coconut oil. Unfortunately, it's a little on the expensive side compared to stuff like sunflower, vegetable or olive oil, so that's why she recommended I try sunflower as a cheap alternative first, as it works fine for her.

When my financial situation's a bit better, I'd love to try out other treatments (like coconut oil or that black soap) for my skin and hair. But, for now, I just need to make sure I save enough money for food and bills!

As for sorting out my oily skin, the first thing I'm going to try on it is sticking to a good diet and getting plenty of exercise. Once I can afford it, of course. Right now, I'm just stuck eating the bare essentials. Thankfully, those bare essentials include sunflower oil for cooking with. How convenient!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users