Photo

30 Year Old Male Taking The Accutane Plunge...

accutane claravis 40mg

This topic is archived.
22 replies to this topic

#1 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:LSU football and college football, movies/TV, dogs, gambling, family

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hey guys...An introduction of myself: I'm Jeff, 30 years old, male, have never considered myself to have severe acne, but I have dealt with acne issues my entire life. At any one time, I can typically count on one hand the total number of pimples that I have...Sometimes I'll go weeks without a breakout. While I don't get breakouts that often (maybe once a month) and they are usually relatively minor (1-3 pimples/sometimes inflammatory ones), it's the emotional damage that the breakouts cause for me that have really negatively affected my life over the years. When I breakout, I tend to shut down and become apathetic towards everything, depressed/ashamed/embarassed. It truly bothers the hell out of me, and is the MOST stressful thing in my life. I think if I combined all the stresses that I've endured due to work/school/money in my life that they still would be less than the overall stress that I've self-inflicted on myself due to my face.

My closest friends that know this bothers me so much will look at me and say, "Your face looks fine, I can't see anything." While I tell myself that other people don't care what my face looks like, the bottom line is that I care and that it bothers the hell out of not having a clear face. It has brought my life to a halt more times than I can count, and I've had enough and will not be a prisoner any longer.

Thus, after my face broke out this past weekend, I decided to call my dermatologist and meet Monday afternoon. To my surprise, he suggested that I get on Accutane since other treatments (antibiotics + topical cream), while good, are temporary fixes and not a cure and will often result in acne relapse down the road. He convinced me that Accutane was basically a guarantee that my acne would be gone permanently or at the very least significantly reduced after my 6 month treatment. So we got it started, I went to the pharmacy and picked up my perscription (Claravix 40mg) and paid my $10 copay.

I've read about what to expect, and I know it will be a bumpy 6-months, but I believe it will be well worth it if I come out with a clear face. While I'm certainly a little nervous and have some doubts about how I will react if the medicine causes me to get worse before getting better, I am also very excited about the light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and share the beginning of my story. Hopefully it will have a good ending in 6 months. Wish me luck!

Geaux Tigers!
Posted Image

Edited by JPLSU1981, 11 February 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#2 john123

john123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

Hey Jeff, good luck with it. I'll be following this log for sure as I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm on week 4 of my course right now.

#3 Quiescence

Quiescence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

good luck!! I <3 accutane xx

#4 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:LSU football and college football, movies/TV, dogs, gambling, family

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for the support guys!!

Week 1, Day3
Ok, I'm at Day3 now. Nothing really to report at this point. Before I went to the dermatologist Monday and before I started taking Accutane, I had probably 5 or so zits (mostly on my cheeks and jawline). Those seem to be recovering as they normally would. Up to this point, I haven't had any noticeable side affects, but I'm sure that will change in the coming weeks. I'm prepared for the worst, so I've loaded up on Equifor (sp?) lip lotion and Cetaphil moisturizer. I've been taking my Claravis 40mg every evening immediately after eating dinner. Even though I have been pretty broken out the last couple days (which is why I went to the dermatologist in the first place), I'm in relatively high spirits and feeling pretty good knowing that I'm in the process of potentially curing this issue forever. I'm definitely excited about that, even though normally with my face broken out like this I would probably be feeling pretty shitty. As soon as I have enough posts, I'll create a signature like some of you have. Until next time....Geaux Tigers!

Day4
Today is the first day my face is feeling a little "different." I'm not sure if it's the Accutane or the Neutrogena Spot Treatment (2.5% BP) that I've started using prior to moisturizing, but my face definitely looks a little redder in the mirror today and feels almost a little sunburned (even though I haven't been in the sun). Nothing major or too annoying, but today is definitely the first time all week my face has a different feel to it. Still no new breakouts anywhere...Actually my face has cleared up since Monday, although I attribute that to just the normal healing on those pimples.

Day5
My face is definitely feeling drier and stings a bit all over. I notice dryness between my eyes and on my chin area. My face is also a little red. Other than that, nothing to report. No breakouts or anything along those lines ... actually my face is clearer today than it was on Day1. Even though I had planned to begin using the Neutrogena Spot Treatement recommended on this site, I will probably cut back on using that because it's hard to know if the dryness/redness is being caused by that or the Accutane.

Edited by JPLSU1981, 10 February 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#5 rdcd

rdcd

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

Kick ass and best of luck, good sir. Sounds like a pretty familiar story and I just got started myself.

#6 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

Good luck! I go to LSU! Posted Image
You sound just like me! People would say my face wasn't bad, but it bothered ME not them. We are always our worst critics! Besides, in my opinion it doesn't matter HOW many zits I have, it's just the fact that you have them...you know? I'm wishing you good luck...I just finished my course yesterday and am very pleased with the results!

Edited by Jamie Ann, 09 February 2012 - 02:44 PM.

#7 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Good luck! I go to LSU! Posted Image

Geaux Tigers! Posted Image

#8 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

Day6
I had one new pimple on my cheek last night in a spot that I've had a zit before and it's been known to sometimes come back in the exact same spot. Anyway, I popped it and put some BP on it and it was gone this morning (just a red mark now). I've also noticed that my face tends to "burn" the most the couple hours immediately following washing/moisturizing. After a couple of hours the face burn tends to subside. The first week of Accutane is just about in the books, and while I'm definitely noticing some differences in my face (minor dryness, redness, burning), all of it is managable. No initial breakout up to this point... A zit here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. I will add this: Just being on Accutane made me more able to "shrug off" zits this week...In the past, one zit would have the potential to seriously alter my mood/feelings...Just knowing that I'm in the process of fixing this issue made me more care-free about my face this week. also, I ordered the Treatment off this site (2.5% BP)... I'm going to try that and see how that works when I do have a flare-up.

Day7
It may be in my mind because I'm feeling great about being Accutane, but my face is almost completely clear, save a few red marks that are almost compltely healed from pimples I had gotten the couple days before getting on Accutane. I believe this is the healthiest my skin has ever looked...My skin is smooth and feels clean. The biggest side affect that I've noticed is that my face has a red tint to it...almost like a mild sunburn, and also some minor dryness. Also, today was the first time I shaved since being on Accutane (I use an electric shaver), and it was easy peasy ... no irritation at all. I'm going to continue doing exactly what I've been doing (see my daily morning/night treatment below). Also, I'm hopeful that the doc puts me on 80mg for Month 2 and beyond because I really want to make sure that I get to a cumulative dose of 120-150. I don't want to "half-ass" this Accutane treatment. I'm fully prepared to go the distance, even if my face is clear through a month or two. At my weight (220lbs), 40mg is only .4mg/kg/day...If I stayed on that dose, it would take nearly a year to get to 120. If I go to 80mg, it would only take 4-5 more months to get to 120.

Edited by JPLSU1981, 12 February 2012 - 06:58 PM.

#9 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Question for anyone that knows:

-I'm well aware that Accutane is supposed to be taken with food (preferably the biggest meal of the day). However, sometimes my "big meal" is lunch, and sometimes it's dinner. Sometimes, I'll even eat a huge lunch and really not eat much at all for dinner (and vice versa).

My question: If I take Accutane after dinner one night at around 7pm, is it ok to take my next day's pill the following day at lunch (if, for example, that following day lunch is going to be my big meal)? Or are you supposed to take it at the same time every day?

#10 john123

john123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

Saw you mentioned your face is getting a red tint and then noticed you're routine. I would definitely drop the 2.5% BP treatment. As you get further into your course the BP will just irritate your skin more and more.

#11 gillsans

gillsans

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

hi jeff - i'm pretty much in the same boat/age bracket (i'm about a year older), started accutane for the second time last monday (took it as a teenager, sort of inconsistently), so 1 week in. Things are looking pretty decent for me too, so far...fingers crossed. Kind of the same story, not horrible all over acne, but pretty persistent and mostly cystic, about 2 or 3 bad boys on my face consistently for the last couple of years. I think its almost worse dealing with this as an adult because at least in high school almost everyone would break out. Walking into work everyday broken out as an adult is a whole different ball game.

I was told by my derm that I should stop the antibiotics and aczone i was using prior to starting tane, but i'm still spot treating with the aczone. So I guess we're both bending the rules as far as completely letting go of the topicals (of course that will probably change if I get bumped up to a higher dose, i'm on 40 mgs as well). As far as when you take the pill, all I've heard is that you should try to take it with a high fat meal. I don't think its a big deal if you take it with dinner one day and lunch the next, most important thing is to take it every day.

Good luck, i'll be checking in on your log.

#12 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

Day10
Pretty much all clear at this point...The dryness seems to have subsided... It wasn't all that bad to begin with (I've been using moisturizer liberally morning and night, so that has probably prevented most of the dryness). Don't know if I've had my initial breakout yet or not. If I did, it was a mere 2 zits last week. And if I didn't, then I guess it's still to come. The only other symptom that I've noticed is about twice now I've had an upset stomach after taking the pill. Of course that could be anything, but it was unusual for me. But all in all I'm very happy with the results thus far ... Accutane + Moisturizer and my face feels healthier/smoother than it has in a long time.

#13 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Day 25
Well I'm nearly a month in, and this week my face is broken out more than it has ever been since beginning Accutane. Granted, I'm not doing myself any favors as I've tried to pop a few and have actually made my face look worse with red marks/scabs/etc. At the moment, all zits (about 10 or so) are healing. I've noticed that while on Accutane, I get zits in areas that I really never did before ... next to my nose and also on my cheeks. In the past, pre-Accutane, I would normally get breakouts on my chin area and jawline. All that said, I am still feeling good and was fully prepared that this would be a bumpy Accutane journey. Hopefully this past week was my IB and it will all be downhill from here. To be fair, if this was indeed my IB, it really wasn't all that bad at all ... I was honestly expecting much worse. As per side affects, the dryness is not as bad as I expected. I have certainly been using lots of chapstick, but my face dryness and chapped lips are not nearly as bad as I was expecting. The only bothersome thing I've dealt with is a red face and also my face feeling "hot" and stinging at times. I go to the derm Monday, so we'll see if he bumps me up to 60mg or 80mg. Despite advice from a few on these boards telling me not to, I've continued using the Acne.org BP treatment...It's hard for me to discontinue using it if I have active zits...I feel like they need to be 'treated." Anyway, I'll continue to keep everyone posted. The first moth has certainly flown by!

#14 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Day 29
Went to the derm today...One month basically done! Wow that went fast! He bumped me up to 60mg for Month2 and told me we'll go to 80mg for Month 3 and beyond til we get to a cumulative dose of 15,000mg. Everything going good so far...except I did have my IB in Weeks 2-3 but it was not too bad, about 8-10 zits total in the week for the breakout. Everything seems to be clearing up nicely now. Also, the side affects in Month1 were not nearly as bad as I was expecting....dry lips is all really. Haven't even really noticed dry skin, although I am using moisturizer morning and night. I asked him about BP use while on Accutane (I use Acne.org's 2.5% BP treatment before moisturizing) ... he told me it was completely fine to use BP on Accutane. He said there will come a point when I won't need the BP anymore, but he said BP DOES NOT de-activate or curtail anything that Accutane is doing. I will continue my BP use...when I get a zit, I feel compelled to put something on it. He also said that by Month4, I should be completely blemish free, but the treatment will continue until we get to 15,000mg cumulative. Until next time...

Edited by JPLSU1981, 05 March 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#15 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Day30

Doc called me this morning and said they went ahead and confirmed my perscription for Month2 (60mg per day), but he also mentioned that my triglicerides (cholesterol) were a tad high. They told me to make sure and fast next time before I go do the monthly blood work. I just started dieting this week, so hopefully by next time I will have lost some weight and my cholesterol will come down (I'm definitely not fat but I am overweight for my height...I need to lose 20 or so pounds which shouldn't be too hard if I put my mind to it). Also, my face feels great today...everything from my IB is clearing and I haven't had a new zit in over 7 days. Also, just FYI...I've pretty much stopped using the Cetaphil moisturizer and primarily using the Clinique moisturizer now... the Cetephil was really thick and greasy, and almost felt like it was "suffocating" my face. The Clinique M Lotion for men has a much better feel to it IMO.

Edited by JPLSU1981, 06 March 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#16 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

DAY 31
Thought it was interesting when I logged into my health insurance and saw how much this drug costs....I only paid a $10 copay for my Month2 perscription of 60mg, but my insurance paid over $700.....This is an EXPENSIVE DRUG!....

Edited by JPLSU1981, 07 March 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#17 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Day 34
Feeling pretty darn good today...Since my initial breakout in Week2-3, I have cleared up nicely....I have only had ONE new zit pop up in the last 10 days, and even that one was a tiny one. I've only been on 60mg (up from 40mg in Month1) for four days, so I'll give it a couple more days to see if any side affects are heightend and/or any new side affects pop up. Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but my arms have gotten really dry (can't tell if it's a rash or just really dry or a little of both, but it is on the bottom of both arms going from my elbow to wrist...dry skin and few small scab-looking patches). I couldn't care less about what my arms look like, though...I'm in this adventure to clear up my face!

#18 JPLSU1981

JPLSU1981

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Day 35

Picture update!

Day 1 on Left, Day 35 on right...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 giveback

giveback

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me