3 replies to this topic

#1 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

I've got a problem.

My T-zone is always oily. It doesn't break out with acne at all and It doesn't look like I'll be getting acne anytime soon unless I overuse retin A. Now, I keep getting my pores clogged somehow - on my forehead (centre only)/nose (centre only) and they don't go away unless I extract their contents which results in damage to my skin, and more hyperpigmentation. The rest of my face is very smooth. I reckon it's because I use hydroquinone and oil based moisturisers on those areas, which clogs my pores. I can't not use hydroquinone... I want the hyperpigmentation to fade faster but I end up doing more damage.

I have the following:

Retin A Gel 0.05
Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% Gel - Panoxyl
Glycolic acid peel 10%
Mandelic acid peel 10%
H&S shampoo - zinc pyrithione
Selun shampoo medicated - Selenium Sulfide 2.5%
Nizoral Shampoo - keotconazole 2%

What do I do about my clogged pores and how do I prevent my pores from getting clogged?

So I am following Laura's protocol for non-inflamed acne. But I also want to use hydroquinone and retin A. What should I do?

Update:

I have devised a regimen

Morning:

wash: H&S classic clean
treat: mandelic acid peel 10%
hydrate: Pat skin dry and then, using fingertips, vigorously massage surrounding area of clogged-pore-prone skin

no moisturiser

Afternoon:

wash: nizoral or selsun
hydrate: Pat skin dry and then, using fingertips, vigorously massage surrounding area of clogged-pore-prone skin

no moisturiser

Evening

wash: nizoral 2%
prime: glycolic acid peel 10%
treat: Wait 20 min - Retin A Gel 0.05 (tiniest ammount possible) or BP 2.5% Gel [alternating]

Supplements:

Multivitamin A-Z daily
Niacin 500mg empty stomach before bed daily
Glucosamine - HA formula

So far, no more clogged pores. YAY! But, I have 5 or 6 very small clogged pores left. I am hoping to dry them out with lactoferrin because I'm sure as hell they will never budge. Then I'll be able to pop them out with a gentle squeeze. Until then, I have to hope that they will magically disappear.

Preventing clogged pores is easy. Getting rid of them? Hell no.

Just avoid all forms of oil and dirt from getting into or near the pores. Your own oil production is more than enough for the skin since it's primary job is to prevent sweat loss and keep the skin hydrated. Moisturising requires you to massage the cream or lotion into your skin, instead why not just keep the pores clean and massage the areas instead? I've found it to be much more effective to just massage the area and let my skin take care of itself. Massaging the surrounding skin increases the blood flow to the areas and keeps it hydrated, thus allowing you to skip moisturising = no more clogged pores!

Edited by RedPatrick, 08 February 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#2 Fischer1

Fischer1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

i have the same problem, onmy forehead mine does get greasy too, but thats because i am a boy, and i use hair wax sometimes, which makes it greasy. sometimes these bumps turns into some pimples, i do think mine is becaúse of the wax, which can relate to your oily products maybe?

#3 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

i have the same problem, onmy forehead mine does get greasy too, but thats because i am a boy, and i use hair wax sometimes, which makes it greasy. sometimes these bumps turns into some pimples, i do think mine is becaúse of the wax, which can relate to your oily products maybe?

I seem to have gotten them under control today by using mandelic acid peel 10%, glycolic acid peel 10% - morning and evening respectively, after washing with H&S classic clean and nizoral shampoo. I also take niacin 500mg before sleeping (after getting the flush). Glucosamine helps as well I think, since hyaluronic acid keeps the skin tight and hydrated.

Let's see how long I can keep this up.

#4 RedPatrick

RedPatrick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

I have devised a regimen

Morning:

wash: H&S classic clean

no moisturiser

Afternoon:

wash: nizoral or selsun

no moisturiser

Evening

wash: nizoral 2%
prime: glycolic acid peel 10%
treat: Wait 20 min - Retin A Gel 0.05 (tiniest ammount possible) or BP 2.5% Gel [alternating]

Supplements:

Multivitamin A-Z daily
Niacin 500mg empty stomach before bed daily
Glucosamine - HA formula

So far, no more clogged pores. YAY! But, I have 5 or 6 very small clogged pores left. I am hoping to dry them out with lactoferrin because I'm sure as hell they will never budge. Then I'll be able to pop them out with a gentle squeeze. Until then, I have to hope that they will magically disappear.

Preventing clogged pores is easy. Getting rid of them? Hell no.

Just avoid all forms of oil and dirt from getting into or near the pores. Your own oil production is more than enough for the skin since it's primary job is to prevent sweat loss and keep the skin hydrated. Moisturising requires you to massage the cream or lotion into your skin, instead why not just keep the pores clean and massage the areas instead? I've found it to be much more effective to just massage the area and let my skin take care of itself. Massaging the surrounding skin increases the blood flow to the areas and keeps it hydrated, thus allowing you to skip moisturising = no more clogged pores!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users